Page 1

Project Designs Architects

Pty Ltd

Fact sheet

WATERWAYS CODE A Waterways corridor is identified by the Brisbane City Council from aerial mapping. The corridor is created by establishing a 30 meter zone either side of the centreline of an identified waterway from its point of origin to the sea, via normally dry gullies and on to established creeks and rivers within the Brisbane area. The defined origin may well be near the top of a hill, and hence most acreage properties are affected even though they may not have an identifiable low lying section of land.

Effect on Building Acreage Properties An existing Waterway corridor on an acreage property, defines where no site or building works may take place. Relaxations are possible but require an arduous process and a sound basis for the request. Driveways are also required to be kept clear of the defined corridor. Allotments with a prescribed BLE are not really affected by the Waterways Code as the BLE will always be located clear of any Waterway corridor except for the access driveway.

Planning Approval Within the Brisbane area, Town Planning issues are handled by the City Council Planning Department, whilst all building approvals are the responsibility of private building certifiers. If the desired building location falls partly within the Waterways corridor and there seems to be no other siting option available, then the proposed works will require lodgement for a Development Application (D.A.) before drawings can be lodged with the private building certifier for a Building Application (B.A.). This situation often applies to house extensions where the original building was either constructed prior to the legislation coming into force and the waterway corridors defined, or else the original building was positioned very close to the line of the corridor leaving no room for an extension in the most logical position. However if the desired house location is not affected by the Waterways Code and is not affected under the provisions of the NALL or other City Council legislation, then a Town Planning application may not be required before a building application (B.A.) may be granted for a new house or an extension.

Building Approval If a Planning Application is required, then the approved Development Application (D.A.) must be produced in order to have a Building Application (B.A.) approved before works can start on the site.

Documentation for a Development Application Architectural drawings are required to support an application. These must fully show the proposed site details including contours and the location of all trees and other features. The location of all proposed building works is required along with a larger scale floor plan and all elevations. Areas of cut and fill must be shown along with cross sections through the proposed earthworks. A comprehensive Town Planning report must also be submitted to support the proposal along with any other survey or ecological documents that are pertinent to the property.

Summary The existence of a Waterway corridor is a major factor affecting the planning of building works. It should be fully investigated, preferably prior to purchase, but otherwise prior to proceeding with a design concept for a new home or extensions on acreage properties.

With over thirty years experience in the industry & a cache of housing awards to his name, architect Colin Lewington specialises in residential property for the prestige market. With a focus on clean lines & fluid forms, his designs are a study in space & light, creating inspired visions that effortlessly blend the practical requirements of a family home with the finesse of a tangible artform.

Fact Sheet - Waterways Code  

Fact Sheet - Waterways Code

Read more
Read more
Similar to
Popular now
Just for you