BA (Hons.) GRAPHIC DESIGN Module Code
INTERIM MODULE SELF-EVALUATION NAME
1. What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them? So far through OUGD503, I have had to manage a massive workload from this module and OUGD504. With the submission for OUGD504 having been last week, most of my recent time was spent working on that module. Having said that, I did not forget about this module. I have also worked hard on this module so far, but in parts. I found the advantages of doing this was that I was still working on my Fedrigoni calendar and not leaving it to the last minute. Also each time I went back to the brief, I would go back with a fresh mindset. This enabled me to view the project as the end user, and this helped me generate new ideas and pick out existing faults. On the whole, so far I think my time management has been executed well. Through my own research I am starting to get an idea about pricing and how to charge clients. I rang up a few design studios during the Christmas break to ask how they charge their clients etc. This has given me a rough idea as to how I would charge my future clients. And also by doing this I have improvement my communication skills.
2. What approaches to/methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process? In terms of design production, I haven’t really tried any new processes. This is because they haven’t been appropriate for the briefs I have been working on so far. Having said that, I have improved my crafting skills. Whilst putting my calendar together I have learnt how to use a scalpel properly. I didn’t even know there was a correct way to use a scalpel. And I have also executed my perfect binding technique to a high standard. The more I use this technique; I have learned the best approach to take. I have become more familiar with the way the glue interacts with certain stocks and as a result has helped me perfect my craft.
3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these? Ever since learning about the golden ratio during level 04, I haven’t stopped using it. I use Phi in all my designs, and that is evident in my work so far. When setting up grids and other digital elements, I always consider the appropriate numbers I should be working with. By doing this, I would confidently say my designs a much more harmonious and structured better. Considering my layout and compositions, I do think this is where my strengths lie. I also think I have developed my projects well, and not just gone with the initial ideas and layouts I have generated. All my design decisions have been considered. And as a result, I do think my final outcomes benefit from this. I will continue to develop my future projects and produce even better outcomes.
4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future? At the start of this module I said I wanted to approach this module in a different way to the others as we have that flexibility. I want to work on many quick briefs. This is because I think my weaknesses lie in decision making. I am a very indecisive person meaning the development of a project makes much longer than it should. By undertaking quick turnaround brief, it will force me to make quick decisions, as I don’t have the luxury of time. Although I was looking for clients during the Christmas break, no one seemed to need anything design work. Having said that, I have told friends and family to spread the word about this module and that I need live/client lead briefs. So hopefully, I will hear from a few people soon. This also brings me onto the lack of briefs I have at this current time, but I think that has been to my project management. I am not worried about the lack of briefs at this stage because I have worked very hard on my Fedrigoni brief and will be putting more time into this module from now as OUGD504 has been completed.
5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these? • Make quicker decisions. In the industry, I will not get the luxury of time I currently have to spend on briefs. I need to be able to make informed design decisions without dwelling over them for a long time. • Crits. The crits that have been organised for us have been very useful and I want to continue to organise my own. I need to realise I have 50 other top designers I can get feedback from which would be valuable for my project development. • Contact with clients. I want to be able to familiarise myself with this, as it will put me in good stead for next year and the future. • Work on different length projects. This will help broader may skills and improve my project management skills. I may have a quicker t day briefs into a two weeks briefs. How do I manage my time and workload? This again will help prepare me for • Through the college football team, I have met a few third year photography students. I will ask them to photograph my final products in the future.
6.How would you grade yourself on the following areas: (please indicate using an ‘x’) 5= excellent, 4 = very good, 3 = good, 2 = average, 1 = poor 1
5 x x
Attendance Punctuality x Motivation x Commitment x Quantity of work produced x Quality of work produced x Contribution to the group The evaluation of your work is an important part of the assessment criteria and represents a percentage of the overall grade. It is essential that you give yourself enough time to complete your written evaluation fully and with appropriate depth and level of self-reflection. If you have any questions relating to the self evaluation process speak to a member of staff as soon as possible.