Issuu on Google+


A presença humana na região onde se insere o Concelho da Golegã remonta a épocas impensáveis. Testemunhos da PréHistória falam da vida dos homens e das mulheres desse tempo, por estas paragens! No lugar de São Miguel, ruínas de casas de habitação com pavimento empedrado e ornamentos característicos indiciam a dominação romana, revelando já a importância da Golegã, naquele período marcante da história. A toponímia, o cultivo da laranjeira, os sistemas de rega, o tradicional fabrico de azeite em lagares trazidos pelos árabes e a arquitectura de alguns pátios interiores, são marcas indiscutíveis da civilização moura que aqui se estabeleceu e se enraizou, legando-nos hábitos e costumes que ainda hoje perduram. “Kul-el-khan” (pastos do senhor [Emir?]), para alguns estudiosos, poderá ser a palavra árabe que está na origem do topónimo Golegã. Outros ainda, consideram que o actual nome da Vila se deve à corruptela de Galega, pela existência, nos primórdios da nacionalidade, de uma albergaria (Venda da Galega) propriedade de uma mulher oriunda da Galiza, que era ponto de paragem obrigatória para os viandantes. Em 1159, o primeiro rei de Portugal, D. Afonso Henriques doou à Ordem do Templo, a Cardiga, cujo castelo se inseria na linha de defesa dos Templários, com o de Almourol. A testemunhar aqueles tempos de Cruzadas, a sobranceira Torre de Menagem da Cardiga, sentinela eterna do Tejo, marca viva do então castelo, transformado em residência já em tempos da Ordem de Cristo, à qual também pertenceu o Paul do Boquilobo, mais tarde doado em sesmaria d’ El-Rei D. João I (1357-1433), ao Infante D. Henrique. Em 1501, D. Manuel I, soberano que demonstrou grande interesse pela Golegã, autorizou Fernão Lourenço, do Conselho d´El-Rei, Tesoureiro e Feitor da Guiné, a fazer construir um mosteiro da Ordem de São Jerónimo, o qual não se veio a materializar, mas que determinou a campanha de obras da Igreja Matriz, ex-líbris do manuelino rural e monumento nacional, desde 1910. Pelo protagonismo que a Golegã vinha granjeando na região, aquele monarca concedeu-lhe o Foral no dia 25 de Abril de 1520, vindo a ser elevada a Vila, no ano de 1534, por D. João III.

The human presence in the region where the district of Golegã is located harks back to unthinkable times. Prehistoric testimonials tell us about men and women of those days and their way of living in the region. In the spot of São Miguel the run down houses with paved surfaces and their distinctive ornaments demonstrate the roman dominion revealing yet in those days the importance of Golegã in that remarkable era of history. The toponymy, the orange tree cultivation, the watering systems, the traditional olive oil production in olive presses brought by Moorish people and the architecture of some indoor courtyards are unmistakable marks of Arab civilization. That civilization has settled and ingrained in here bequeathing us habits and customs still retained to our days. In some researchers’ opinion Kul-el-Khan (pastures of lord [Emir?] ) could be the Arab word that is in the origin of the Golegã toponymy. Others uphold that the actual name of the town has its origin in the altered form of Galega as in the first beginning of the nation there was a hostel in the area (indispensable stopover for the wayfarers) whose owner was a Galician woman. In 1159 Dom Afonso Henriques, first king of Portugal donated Cardiga to The Order of The Temple. Cardiga’s castle both with Castle of Almourol were embedded in the Templars’ line of defense. To testify those Crusades times the haughty Main Tower of Cardiga, Tagus eternal warder and noticeable mark of the former castle that in those times had already been transformed in Order of Christ’s residence. Paúl do Boquilobo has also belonged to Order of Christ but later was given to Infante Dom Henrique on allotment by the King Dom João I (1357-1433). In 1501 Dom Manuel I, sovereign who demonstrated a great interest in Golegã authorized Fernão Lourenço (member of the King’s Council, chancellor and steward of Guinea) the construction of a monastery for the Order of the Sword of St. Jerome which was not accomplished although that was a crucial fact regarding the Mother Church building works. Our Mother Church is a rural Manueline style ex-libris and National Monument since 1910. Considering the leading position of Golegã in the region that monarch granted a privilege charter (Foral) on April th 25 1520 and, later in 1534 Golegã achieved recognition as Vila according to Dom João III ‘s will.


Torre da Cardiga

Deixe-se envolver pela nossa história‌ Get involved . . . immerse yourself in our history . . .


No ano de 1571, o rei D. Sebastião viria a instituir a Feira de São Martinho, que depressa se celebrou, firmando a importância da Golegã na economia e cultura nacionais. Em meados do séc. XVIII, a Golegã “não é só o coração da província da Estremadura, mas o centro das suas maiores fertilidades (…) não havendo outra no Reino que a iguale na produção de trigos, cevadas, milhos, favas, vinho e azeite”. Até inícios do séc. XIX a Golegã era atravessada pela Estrada Real Lisboa-Porto, sendo também encruzilhada de outros troços régios, contribuindo esta circunstância para o seu crescimento e desenvolvimento. Se em 1807, aquando das Invasões Francesas, a Golegã foi poupada pelas tropas napoleónicas comandadas pelo General Junot, já em 1810, com Massena a dirigir as tropas de Bonaparte, a Vila viu muitas das suas casas saqueadas e devastadas, a Igreja Matriz e capelas vandalizadas e o arquivo municipal destruído. Em 1875, a Golegã passou a constituir-se sede de comarca e em 1895 viu-lhe anexada a freguesia da Azinhaga, a árabe Azancha, então pertença do Concelho de Santarém. A Feira de São Martinho que teve sempre um papel angular no desenvolvimento da Golegã, por decreto régio de D. Luís, no ano de 1865, viulhe ser instituído um concurso oficial de gado cavalar, a realizar-se anualmente. No primeiro conflito mundial (1914-1918), a Feira conhece então maior procura pela necessidade de equinos para a guerra, tornando-se ainda de relevante importância aquando da II Guerra Mundial (1939-1945), nomeadamente pelo racionamento de combustíveis e limitação da circulação motorizada, que promoveram a demanda de cavalos de sela, mas sobretudo dos de tiro. A evolução, o crescimento e a singularidade do evento, que se vinha afirmando dentro e fora das nossas fronteiras motivaram em 1972, o GoGoverno Português a decretá-la como Feira Nacional do Cavalo. Em 1999, passa também a integrar a Feira Internacional do Cavalo Lusitano e a Golegã pelo reconhecimento nacional e estrangeiro do papel histórico do Cavalo na sua distinção, é proclamada então como Capital do do Cavalo, vindo a integrar em 2005, a Rede de Cidades Europeias do Cavalo (EuroEquus).

In 1571 King Dom Sebastião established Feira de S. Martinho that swiftly became an event of peculiar importance concerning the national culture and the economy. In the middles of the 18th century Golegã «is not only the heart of Estremadura but the centre of its richest fertilities (…) no other in the kingdom can equate its wheat yield , barley, maize, broad beans, wine or olive oil production». By the beginning of the 19th century Lisbon-Oporto Royal Road crossed Golegã being also other regal routes crossroads which hugely contributed for its growth and development. In 1807 Golegã had been spared the evils of French invasions when the Napoleon’s troops commanded by Junot came over, but with Massena commanding Bonaparte´s troops things occurred differently. Golegã saw the most part of its houses ravaged and devastated. The Mother Church and the chapels were vandalized and the Council Archive was destroyed. In 1875 Golegã became a district hall town and in 1895 attached the local parish of Azinhaga (the Arab Azancha) that formerly belonged to the municipality of Santarém. In 1865 by Royal Charter of the King Dom Luís, Feira de S. Martinho having always an extreme importance in Golegã’s development was awarded with an official equine contest carried out annually. During the First World War (19141918) due to the needs of horses posed by the war the Fair had a greater demand curve which became even higher during the Second World War (1939-1945). This, in consequence of the fuel rationing and the motorized traffic restrictions that promoted the saddle horses and mainly draft horses demand. In 1972 the development, the growth and the singularity of the event already spread in and out our boarders spurred on the Portuguese Government to enact it as National Horse Fair (Feira Nacional do Cavalo). In 1999 it also integrates the Lusitano Horse International Fair (Feira Internacional do Cavalo). Golegã was distinguished both in Portugal as abroad as a keystone for stressing the horse historical role in all its splendor becoming then Horse Capital taking its own place in the European Horse Cities Network (EuroEquus).


Matriz da Golegã (Pórtico) Mother Church séc. XV


. . . Solar do Cavalo Horse Manor . . .


A Golegã Concelho, “Solar do Cavalo”, insere-se na lezíria, na qual correm os rios Tejo e Almonda, onde a natureza bordou a paisagem e horizontes recortados pela charneca, pelo bairro e pelo espargal, que se interrompem aqui e ali pelo casario branco e ocre, logo mostrando mais além os mouchões, os chaboucos, a maracha, as alvercas, enfim, o nosso campo, cenário privilegiado do cavalo e outrora do touro e das gentes com quem eles lidam. O campo da Golegã e da Azinhaga limitado pelas suas urbes que lhe quebram o silêncio e a liberdade. Urbes rurais, cujo património artístico e monumental é integrado por igrejas, capelas, azulejos, pedras, esculturas, pontes, solares e quintas, que nos falam da nossa identidade. Aqui existe um mundo, que todos queremos que o “desenvolvimento” não o extinga. Nele vivem ainda, entre outros, as gentes que amam a verdade do campo, que criam, desbastam os poldros e montam a cavalo. Aqui, desde há séculos, o Homem formou uma cultura ao sol, ao calor e ao som das cigarras, ou sob o frio e a chuva que quando cai forte inunda a lezíria, separando a Golegã da Azinhaga, só unidas então pelos costumes da borda d’ água. E essa cultura, essa forma de viver são salvaguardadas pela simbiose da tradição com a modernidade, que aqui se elege no dia-a-dia. Visitar a Golegã, os seus recantos e lugares, é percorrer páginas de uma história antiga, secular, marcante e influenciadora do presente!

The district of Golegã - Horse Manor – in the heart of the meadowlands where Tagus and Almonda rivers flow and the nature embroidered the landscape and the horizon snipped by the moorland, the borough and espargal, «broken» here and there by white or light brown-yellow houses beyond the marsh, the dike, the fish-pond…well… our countryside - privileged scenery of horse, formerly of the bull and the people whom they deal with. Golegã countryside fettered by its urban spots breaking its silence and taking away its liberty… The artistic heritage and its monuments consists in churches, chapels, ceramic tiles, stones, sculptures, bridges, manors and farms telling us about our identity. Here there is a world we want to preserve and that the «development» will not extinguish. In here among others there are the people who love the truth of the field who breed, teach and train the foals and ride horses. Here for centuries the Man has developed a culture in the sun, in hot weather listening to the cicada or in the cold weather when the rain falls hard and flood the flatlands separating Golegã from Azinhaga and then, both just standing together by the water’s edge customs. This culture and this way of living are protected by the symbiosis between tradition and modernity picked day after day. Visiting Golegã and its nooks is going through pages of a remarkable history of centuries which influences the present!

… magia e simbolismo, em espaços e lugares emblemáticos, plenos de tradições e costumes . . . magic and symbolism, emblematic spaces plenty of customs and traditions


Toda a Vila desenha-se de arruamentos reticulares que emergem da Praça, a qual integra três elementos fundamentais no enquadramento histórico do burgo, a Matriz quinhentista, o Pelourinho e o Palácio seiscentista que lhe é cerca , que é complementado pelo “Templo da Fotografia”, a Casa-Estúdio Carlos Relvas. A Matriz é um vasto edifício de corpo rectangular cuja frontaria, rematada por um coruchéu de base poligonal, que enquadra um magnifico pórtico manuelino (séc. XVI), apresentando arcos policêntricos bordados de caireis, fazendo parte de uma composição delimitada por um alfis. Um pórtico exuberante ladeado por duas colunas torsas e por uma moldura trilobada, rematada por pináculos, relevado por motivos estilizados como as alcachofras ou um friso de maçaroca que remata os pontos convergentes dos arcos ou ainda cogulhos que decoram dois botaréus de cunho gótico. No interior, entre outros elementos um silhar de azulejos azuis e brancos (setecentistas) e de tipo aresta mudéjar, que decoram o altar do transepto. A Casa-Estúdio, o atelier fotográfico edificado entre os anos 1871-1875, fruto do espírito criativo de Carlos Relvas foi uma obra realizada com o intuito específico de celebrar e desenvolver a actividade fotográfica. O Chalet-Estúdio apresenta características únicas no mundo e viria a ficar celebre na época, não só pela sua escala e estrutura ambiciosas, numa fusão da arte, da ciência e da tecnologia, numa conjugação perfeita entre a pedra, o estuque, o ferro (33 toneladas!) e o vidro, mas também “pela ambição de elevar o estatuto da arte fotográfica, não só a nível nacional, como internacional”. A arquitectura é marcada por linhas características dos revivalismos, que marcaram a época como o neo-românico , o neo-gótico e o neo-mourisco. Na planta do atelier, como nos alçados, sobressai desde logo um aspecto de inspiração num templo cristão, tornando o seu objectivo quase como divinal - a arte fotográfica. Niépce e Daguerre figuram em esculturas no alçado principal, assumindo o papel eterno de guardiães do templo e da arte e porque não dos 13 mil negativos que Carlos Relvas nos legou. Do património histórico-monumental do Concelho são de relevar ainda, na Golegã, o Solar da Quinta de Santo António (séc. XVII), que foi da família de São João de Brito, o Solar da Quinta do Salvador (séc. XVIII), Quartel General de Junot, em 1807, a Capela de Santo António e a Capela de Nossa Senhora dos Anjos (séc. XVII). Na Azinhaga são de salientar a Capela de São João da Ventosa (séc. XVI), a Matriz (séc. XVI-XVIII), a Capela de São José (séc. XVI), o Solar dos Serrões (séc. XVII) e ainda o Palácio da Brôa (Séc. XIX).


. . . um legado com futuro! . . . a legacy to the future ! All the town is composed by reticular streets coming from the Square which integrates three fundamental elements in its historical background : the sixteenth – century Mother Church and the Pillory close to the the six-hundred palace completed by the «Temple of Photography» (Carlos Relvas House-Studio). The Mother Church is a huge building of rectangular body topped by a gable with polygonal basis framing a magnificent Manueline portico (16th century). The polycentric arches with embroidered braids are part of an ensemble bounded by a alfis. An exuberant portico flanked by two twisted columns and a three-lobe frame topped by pinnacles. Worth highlighting are the stylized motifs as the artichokes or the corncob frieze topping the convergent arches points. Or yet, two crockets decorating two gothic buttresses. The House-Studio – this photographic studio was built in 18711875 and it was the result of Carlos Relvas ‘creative spirit with the specific purpose of celebrating and developing the photographic activity. This Chalet-Studio has unique features in the world and at that time it became famous not only for its ambitious scale and structure in a fusion of art, science and technology in a perfect match among the stone, the plaster, the iron (33 tones) and the glass but also for the ambition of raising the photography status not only in the country but also overseas. The architecture is stressed by characteristic lines of revivalism that marked that epoch as the neo-roman, the neo-gothic and the neo-Moorish styles. In the studio plan and on the side walls of the building depict scenes of inspiration in a Christian temple – implying the Art of Photography as a divine purpose. Niépce and Daguerre sculptures are on the main side wall assuming their eternal role of guardians of the temple and the art and (who knows?) of the 13 thousand negative prints inherited from Carlos Relvas. As historic-monumental heritage in Golegã is further notable Solar da Quinta de Santo António (17th century) which formerly belonged to S. João de Brito family, Solar da Quinta de Salvador (18th century) former Junot Headquarters, Capela de Santo António and Capela de Nossa Senhora dos Anjos (17th century). In Azinhaga it is worth noting Capela de São João da Ventosa (16th century), the Mother Church (16th 18th centuries), Capela de São José (16th century), Solar dos Serrões (17th century) and Palácio da Brôa (19th century). Carlos Relvas (1838-1894)


. . . Goleg達, Capital do Cavalo

Goleg達, Capital of the Horse . . .


A Golegã é a Capital do Cavalo, nomeadamente do Puro Sangue Lusitano, descendente do ramo português do Cavalo Peninsular, cujo ascendente foi célebre nos séculos XVII e XVIII no Ocidente, com a designação de “Genêt d’ Espagne”. Conhecido desde a mais alta antiguidade (representado nas grutas de Pileta, em Málaga, no XX milénio a.C.) foi tido como o melhor Cavalo da época mitológica grega, valorizado como melhorador por excelência das pesadas raças do Império Romano e considerado pelos árabes, aquando da invasão moura da Península Ibérica. A Capital do Cavalo é sede de inúmeras coudelarias que criam, aperfeiçoam e seleccionam o Lusitano, sendo berço dos célebres cavalos que são fruto de uma criteriosa selecção do criador Eng. Manuel Tavares Veiga (1863-1950). Os “Veiga” revelam uma fixidez de tipo e possuem uma homogeneidade de caracteres que o afirmam entre os seus congéneres lusitanos. A sua elasticidade, fina percepção, fácil interpretação da vontade do cavaleiro e a sua forte consanguinidade, confere-lhes uma imensa aptidão para marcarem a sua descendência e transmitirem as suas características, tornando-os muito procurados por um grande número de coudelarias europeias e americanas. O Puro-Sangue Lusitano é nobre e generoso, ágil e ardente, mas dócil e sofredor, como a própria alma portuguesa, sendo ideal para a Alta Escola, para o toureio, para o maneio de gado e para o lazer. Na Golegã, a Feira de São Martinho, em Novembro, e a ExpoÉgua, em Maio, são o espaço de eleição para o descobrir!

Golegã Horse Capital namely of Pureblood Lusitano Horse descending from peninsular horse Portuguese branch whose parentage was renowned in 17th and 18th centuries in the west designated «Genêt d’Espagne». known since early antiquity (represented in Pileta Caves, Málaga in 20th millennium B.C.) it was considered the best Horse in Greek mythological times. It was valued as an enhancer par excellence of the heavy breeds of Roman Empire and prized by the Arabs during the Iberian Peninsula Moorish invasions. The Horse Capital is the headquarters of umpteen stud farms where they breed, ameliorate and select the Lusitano Horse. Here is the cradle of these renowned horses that are the result of a careful selection made by Eng. Manuel Tavares Veiga (1863-1950). Veiga horses manifest an ease of setting characteristics and have a homogeneity of features that shine among their Lusitano congener. Their agility, their fine perception that seems to outguess the rider’s intentions and their strong inbreeding give them the huge capability of transmitting their marks to their offspring. Veiga horses are pretty sought by numerous European and American breeders. The Pureblood Lusitano Horse is ‘noble’ and tender, agile and enthusiastic, but smooth and ‘uphill’ as our own Portuguese soul which is excellent for the discipline of Haute Ecole, for bullfighting and cattle handling. Feira de São Martinho in November and Expoégua in May are the most suitable spaces to underpin it.


Pura Natureza! A Golegã, Concelho, é sinónimo de harmonia entre Homem e Natureza. Se a Vila da Golegã é bordejada pela lagoa da Alverca, a Aldeia da Azinhaga é ladeada pelo rio Almonda, tendo ambas o rio Tejo como fundo. Aqui, as gentes das urbes, da borda d’ água, respeitam os rios, que lhes são também sustento, e que quando, no Inverno, saem do leito e lhes inundam as terras, deixam o aluvião que as fertiliza, enriquecendo-as, tornando-as as mais produtivas do País. O Município da Golegã preserva o seu meio ambiente no dia-a-dia, tendo sido recentemente distinguido como “Concelho Verde” de Portugal, pelo seu desempenho em termos de política ambiental. Com um riquíssimo património natural, a Golegã integra uma zona com características únicas em Portugal - a Reserva Natural do Paul do Boquilobo, autêntico santuário ornitológico de reconhecida importância internacional (Convenção de Ramsar), única área portuguesa protegida, integrada na rede mundial de Reservas da Biosfera, pela UNESCO. Zona húmida caracterizada por maciços de salgueiros e freixos, com zonas interiores alagadas, cobertas de importantes espécies de plantas aquáticas e caniçais, a Reserva do Paul alberga a maior colónia de garças da Península Ibérica e uma das maiores da Europa. The district of Golegã is synonymous of harmony between Man and Nature. If Golegã is flanged by the Lagoon (Alverca), Azinhaga is befringed by Almonda river having both Tagus river as background. Here the rural people from water’s edge respect the rivers that are also their living and when, in the winter the rivers come out of their beds and flood their lands the silt lays and fertilize and enrich the land as they become the most productive in the country. The county of Golegã preserves the environment day after day and it has recently been distinguished as ‘Green District’ of Portugal due to its performance concerning environmental politics. Having a very rich natural background Golegã is located in an area of unique characteristics in Portugal – Paúl do Boquilobo Natural Reserve, true ornithological sanctuary of renowned international importance, the sole Portuguese protected area recognized as part of the World Network Biosphere Reserves by UNESCO. Lines of cottonwood, willow and other trees make up characteristic hedges around the wetland and offer excellent cover for breeding birds and other fauna. This is the largest colony of herons in the Iberian Peninsula and one of the biggest in Europe.


Pure Nature !


Equuspolis, fórum de excelência . . . Dos equipamentos de que a Golegã dispõe na actualidade, é de relevar o Equuspolis, centro de artes, de cultura e ciência. Ali pode descobrir-se a história do Cavalo, desde há 50 milhões de anos, com o Eohippus, ou encontrar vestígios do passado, como choppers e lascas do Paleolítico ou ainda elementos da vila paleocristã de São Miguel, como também fazer uma viagem em 3D, no Equus Virtual, pelo património histórico-monumental, artístico e natural. É possível ainda apreciar na Galeria de Arte João Pedro Veiga, a exposição temporária de pintura, que entretanto estará a decorrer ou consultar na biblioteca temática a última edição ou publicação sobre o Cavalo. Além dos espaços como o Fórum e o Auditório, para debate cultural e cientifico, workshops e congressos, é de salientar um dos mais nobres do edifício, no qual está instalado o Museu Municipal Martins Correia, cujo espólio integra as esculturas e pinturas doadas à Câmara Municipal pelo ilustre Mestre Escultor, filho da terra (1910-1999). Martins Correia reconhecido como um dos maiores escultores portugueses contemporâneos, faz da sua terra, a Golegã, e a região onde está inserida, o Ribatejo, motivo frequente das suas criações, em muitas das quais faz ressurgir a policromia abandonada pelos artistas renascentistas. Pela sua obra desfilam, entre outros, o cavalo, o touro, a terra e a mulher. As mulheres, como todos os actores intervenientes no cenário da sua obra, são também de linhas simples, onde a beleza erótica natural e a sua sumptuosidade são transmitidas de forma fácil e penetrante. Legado de valor inegável para as gerações actuais e vindouras, é já integrante da história da arte nacional e contemporânea.


It is worth naming Equuspolis as the most well-equipped space currently in Golegã. It is an Art, Science, and Cultural Centre. There with Eohippus we can discover the history of the Horse from the last 50 million years. You can also find vestiges of the past as choppers or slivers from the Paleolithic era or even elements from PaleoChristian Villa of S. Miguel. You have even the chance of a 3D Virtual Tour in virtual Equus through the historic-monumental, artistic and natural background or you can also visit João Pedro Veiga Art Gallery and enjoy the temporary painting exhibition; and if you go in the thematic library you may consult the latest issue about Horses. Beyond rooms as the Forum and the Auditorium for cultural and scientific debates, workshops, lectures and congress it is worth mentioning one the noblest spaces in the building – Martins Correia County Museum whose collection plenty of sculptures and paintings was donated to Golegã County by the honorable Master, native son local Sculptor (1910-1999). Martins Correia known as one of the greatest Portuguese contemporary sculptors chose his land and Ribatejo region as a permanent motif to be represented in his sculptures and in most of them emerge the polychromism abandoned by the artists of the Renaissance. In his works you can find the horse, the bull, the land and the woman among other motifs. The women as all other characters represented in his works are also simplelined transmitting the erotic beauty and sumptuousness in a very simple and pervasive way. Valuable legacy for the present and future generations and yet, part of national and contemporary history of art.

Equuspolis, forum ‘par excellence’ . . .


Museu vivo . . . . . . a life museum

Nesta terra de tradição genuína, artesãos, artífices e artistas promovem no dia-a-dia a sua imaginação, criatividade, habilidade e arte, repetindo formas e gestos, que identificam a nossa cultura e preservam a nossa identidade. Todos eles dignificam e divulgam os modos, os estilos e as épocas, através do produto das suas mãos. São “actores” de uma cena representada no quotidiano do Concelho da Golegã, que é um “Museu vivo”, quer seja com o Correeiro, no Casal Centeio, a executar selas e cabeçadas, entre outros arreios, que já conquistaram europeus e americanos, quer seja com o Avieiro que na Azinhaga fabrica as suas redes, como o tremalho ou a narsa, ou ainda com o Ferrador e o Embolador, assim como com a Ceramista. A forte relação entre o Homem e a terra num Concelho eminentemente agrícola como é o da Golegã, que ainda hoje tem no sector primário o seu principal recurso, é testemunhada no Museu Rural, no qual se evidenciam os modos e os usos tradicionais da nossa agricultura, através da mostra de instrumentos e alfaias, entre outros, nela utilizados. Aliás, quer na Golegã, quer na Azinhaga, desfilam aos olhos de quem as visita, em espaço urbano, um conjunto de peças de arqueologia agrícolo-industrial, tais como a Nora, a Locomóvel, o Semeador Mecânico ou ainda os instrumentos utilizados no ofício de ferrador, bem como as seiras e a bica em pedra de um lagar de azeite. Ainda ligada à nossa identidade, que integra os costumes da borda d’ água, a bateira e a palafita, expostas junto ao Almonda e trazidas na primeira metade do século XX para a antiga Azancha, pelos Avieiros.

In this land of genuine tradition the artisans, the tradesmen and the artists promote their imagination, creativity, genius and art repeating shapes and gestures that identify our culture and preserve our identity. All of them dignify and divulge the modes, the styles and the epochs through the product coming from their hands. They are «characters» in a scene depicted in the everyday of Golegã – an «Alive Museum» - either the saddler making saddles and bridles or other tack in Casal Centeio (that have already bewitched Europeans and Americans) or the fishing- net maker in Azinhaga who makes his fishing nets as the trammel or the fyke or, yet, the farrier or the embolador (one who pads the horns of bulls) or even the pottery-maker. In an almost exclusively agricultural region as Golegã where the primary sector is its main resource, the strong relation between Man and the land can be witnessed in the Rural Museum where traditional agricultural methods and uses are enhanced by showing tools and agricultural implements. As a matter of fact visitants either in Golegã or in Azinhaga have the chance of watching a varied parade of agricultural/ industrial archaeological tools as the Water wheel, the Locomobile, the mechanical Seed-Drill or even the farrier tools. But if you have some curiosity about olive-presses do not forget to search for the typical disks made of hemp (seiras) and the stone faucet (bica de pedra) of an ancient olive-press. Still bonded to our identity the bateira (old little boat) and the palafito placed along the Almonda river bank were taken to the former Azzancha by the fishing-net makers in the first half of the 20th century.


mestria e tradição !! mestery

and

tradition!!

. . . where the past joins the present !


Goleg茫, hist贸ria viva . . . Alive history . . .


. . . essĂŞncia com vivĂŞncia !


. . . essense and existence !


Equestrian Tourism


Turismo Equestre


Popular architecture - genuine and pundit . . .


Arquitectura popular genuĂ­na e erudita . . .


A arte do lazer The Art of Leisure


Alheie-se do quotidiano . . . refugie-se no paraĂ­so ! Keep away from everyday . . . seek shelter in paradise!


Centro de emoçþes desportivas Sports emotions center


“alma sã em corpo são” . . . alegria de viver! ‘healthy body, healthy soul’ … joy of living!


. . . de corpo . . . body

Carlos Cacho 1976

“Este é o campo da Golegã. Para um lado e para o outro da estrada, fabricaram esta terra, os homens e o rio”, escreveu José Saramago, Prémio Nobel da Literatura, filho do Concelho da Golegã. Nessa lezíria, a da Golegã, campinos afamados como foram os Singéis e Felícios, orgulham-se da sua arte e do seu destino. Quer na Vila, quer no Concelho, nasceram Carlos Relvas, em 1838, abastado lavrador, referência da fotografia portuguesa e europeia do séc. XIX; João Pedro Veiga, em 1902, pintor paisagista de mérito firmado, que fixou nos seus quadros o campo, o casario, o rio, as alvercas, os cavalos, os touros, os campinos, nas suas deslocações do espargal à charneca; Carlos Cacho, em 1919, ilustre investigador no campo da energia nuclear, Doutor pela Universidade de Oxford e primeiro Director Geral do Laboratório de Física Nuclear; Martins Correia, em 1910, o célebre escultor, cuja arte se inseriu inicialmente no movimento neorealista, evoluindo para o pós-moderno; António Máximo Simões do Couto, Maestro Gavino, em 1923, músico cujos ritmos e melodias marcam a cadência dos cavalos, como na Marcha Ribatejana; Manuel dos Santos, em 1925, distinto matador de touros, da escola de Mestre Patrício Cecílio (1894 –1983), que promoveu uma esplendorosa época do toureio a pé, na Península Ibérica e na América Central e do Sul. Enfim, uma plêiade de gente ilustre que distinguiu e afirmou a Golegã e o seu Concelho, hoje continuada pelas actuais gerações que promovem a nossa identidade, a nossa alma e o nosso sentimento, com orgulho.

José Saramago (1922-2010) Nobel da Literatura, 1999

João P. Veiga 1977


. . . e alma com a nossa identidade ! . . . and soul with our identity !

Manuel dos Santos 1973

Escultor Rui Fernandes

. . . um elogio à vida greeting life. . .

«These are Golegã flatlands. From one and other side of the road men and the river “manufactured” this land » wrote José Saramago, Nobel Prize in Literature, native son of the district of Golegã. In that meadowlands famous campinos as Singéis and Felícios were born , proud of their art and their destiny. In town or in the district famous men were born – in 1838 Carlos Relvas, wealthy farmer, famous and renowned in Portuguese and European Photography in the 19th century; in 1902 João Pedro Veiga, distinguished landscape painter he depicted scenes in the lands, showing the houses, the river, the marshes, the horses, the bulls and the campinos in his paintings telling us about his trips from espargal to the moorland; Carlos Cacho, 1919, famous solar energy experimenter, Doctor by Oxford University and Nuclear Physics Laboratory first General-Director; Martins Correia, in 1910, the famous sculptor whose art was originally set in the neo-realism movement evolving the post modernism afterwards; in 1923, António Máximo Simões do Couto, Maestro Gavino, musician whose rhythms and melodies beat the horse’s cadence as in Marcha Ribatejana; in 1925 Manuel dos Santos, famous matador (Mestre Patrício Cecílio’s School), promoting a splendorous bullfighting on foot Season all over the Iberian Peninsula and also in Central and South America. Finally, a group of illustrious and brilliant persons that distinguished Golegã and its district now followed-up by the present generation promoting our identity, our soul and our feeling…we take pride in them!

Pintor Serrão de Faria


GOLEGÃ

GOLEGÃ EM CARRO DE CAVALOS GOLEGÃ BY CARRIAGE de 4ª-FEIRA (WEDNESDAY) a DOMINGO (SUNDAY)

LIGUE (CALL) 249 979 000 EQUUSPOLIS@CM-GOLEGA.PT WWW.CM-GOLEGA.PT

CULTURA

TURISMO 2010

vir e voltar por uma “cavalgada” de emoções . . . PROPRIEDADE - MUNICÍPIO DE GOLEGÃ 2010 IMPRESSÃO - A PERSISTENTE . 5.000 EXEMPLARES PÁG - 32 . DEPÓSITO LEGAL - 315194/10

. .

. . . enjoy and come back for a riding plenty of emotions


Descubra-nos