Patty Jewett Club History
Originally established in 1897, the Patty Jewett Golf Club was the third club formed in the United States for the promotion of the ancient and royal game of golf. The antecedent of the present club was formed under the name of the Town and Gown Club. Therefore, Patty Jewett has an historical background predating all but two of the thousands of golf clubs scattered over the country today. In those early days, golf was not the only sport emphasized at the club. Tennis, baseball, bowling, trap shooting and other sports were also on the program and many of the members attained regional and national prominence in their chosen fields. In 1910, the Suburban Land and Water Company was organized with Mr. William Jewett, George A. Foulen and E .J. Ullrich as the principals. For an expenditure of nearly $100,000, this company bought 225 acres just outside the city limits, installed a water system, laid out an 18 hole golf course(since then another 9 holes have been added) and built the $40,000 clubhouse. The Colorado Springs Golf Club was the tenant of this property. During World War 1, William Jewett acquired all stock of the the Suburban Land and Water Company, and, in June,1919, presented the city of Colorado Springs with the clubhouse and course as a memorial to his wife. The course bears the name of Patty Stuart Jewett Memorial Field in her honor. Her portrait hangs above the fireplace in the lobby of the clubhouse. Today Patty Jewett ranks high among the finest municipal courses in the country and is one the the most played courses in Colorado.