Page 1

The Old, The New and Whatever Happened to……… Park University Campus Tour

www.park.edu/alumni


The Old, The New and Whatever Happened to… Park University Campus Tour

1. THOMPSON CENTER (COMMONS) — This building, constructed in 1927, serves as the campus student union. It houses the cafeteria, the Cyber Café, Pirate Grounds Coffee Shoppe, commuter lounge and the offices of the Campus Activities Board, Student Development, and Public Safety. The Gibson Meeting Room is located on the third floor. Thompson Commons once had separate entrances, one for male students and one for females. 2. ACADEMIC UNDERGROUND — Millsap Foyer is the entrance to the Academic Underground area, Mabee Learning Center and the McAfee Library. The Frances Fishburn Archives and the Campanella Gallery are located in the library. The switchboard and information center share the foyer. Classrooms, faculty offices, the Dorothy Harper Watson Literacy Center, Louise Morden Board Room, Information Technology Services, Student Senate office, Barnes and Noble Bookstore, Career Development Center, Academic Support Center, Rotary International Display, the campus mail room and the copy center are located on the main level. The façade of the learning center was constructed from stone salvaged from Woodward Hall Dormitory. Arches salvaged from the original Alumni Hall are on display outside the library. A handicap accessible entrance is located on 6th Street. 3. MACKAY HALL — Begun in 1886 and completed in 1893, this building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Constructed with the help of student laborers, Mackay houses the office of the University President, and other administrative offices, classrooms, and the academic departments of business, criminal justice and political science, as well as the School for Business and Management. The first floor is decorated with artwork and displays honoring special people and events. Stairs in Mackay Hall before renovation

4. NORRINGTON CENTER — This building was built in two sections, the north portion in 1908 and the entry and south addition in 1923, and served as the Carnegie Library for many years. Today it houses the offices of Admissions, Enrollment Services and Student Assistance Center. 5. FINDLAY-WAKEFIELD SCIENCE HALL AND EARHART LABORATORY — This building, completed in 1924, houses the Department of Natural and Physical Sciences (biology, chemistry, geography, geology, and physics), departments of athletic training, information computer sciences, mathematics, and nursing. The new laboratory addition was dedicated in 1997. 6. HILLTOP HOUSE* — This two-story residence for faculty and staff stood above Mackay Hall, where the parking lot is today. At one time students were housed here. It was demolished in 1967.

* Building no longer exists


Park University Campus Tour 7.

SCOTT OBSERVATORY DECK — Charles Smith Scott Observatory*, built in 1896, burned in 1999. The observatory deck was built in its place to honor this lost treasure.

8. STEPHENS COTTAGE* — Built in 1940, it was used as a women’s honor dorm from 1947 through 1965. 9.

HAWLEY HALL — This former women’s residence hall, built in 1956, was remodeled in 1997. It is now leased by the Park Hill School District. The building serves as an alternative school for behavioral disordered students, a gifted student program and a day care center.

Scott Observatory

10. HERR HOUSE — Built in 1927, this building is a student residence hall as well as the location of the offices of International Student Services and several faculty and staff on the lower floor. 11. PARK HOUSE — Believed to have been erected circa 1845, this is the oldest building on campus. Park House was for a time the residence of Col. George Park, the co-founder of Park. For many years it served as the university museum and is Stephens Cottage now the Alumni Center. Formerly situated on the southern boundary of the chapel lawn next to the highway, Park House was relocated to its current spot when the University's entrance was redesigned in the summer of 1967. 12. McCOY MEETIN’ HOUSE — This facility, built in 1932, was originally the home of the YWCA is still used for university functions. It was renovated in 2001. 13. UNIVERSITY WHITE HOUSE — The residence of the university president is the home of Park’s 14th president, Dr. Beverley Byers-Pevitts. It was built in 1916 as the home of President Frederick Hawley and was inhabited by all University presidents until 1990. After extensive renovations the President and her spouse moved into the house in November, 2001. 14. GRAHAM TYLER MEMORIAL CHAPEL — Originally built in 1931, it was rebuilt in 1938 after an extensive fire. The chapel is used for convocations and various events and also houses the International Center for Music. In addition, it serves as the venue for the Parkville Community Band, the Park Piano Trio and the Quartet Accorda. 15. ALUMNI HALL — This building houses the academic departments of art and theater as well as the Jenkin and Barbara David Theater. The current Alumni Hall was built in 1958 after the original building was destroyed by fire. Two of the *Old Alumni Hall 2

* Building no longer exists

2010


Park University Campus Tour

decorative arches have been restored and are on display in front of the underground library. 16. COPLEY-THAW HALL — Built in 1918 as a residence hall, Copley now serves as an office and classroom building. The academic departments of communication arts, education, English, modern languages, philosophy and religion are located in this building. Copley is also home to KGSP 90.3 FM radio, a TV studio and the campus newspaper, The Stylus. The graduate schools of Education and Communication and Leadership, the offices of the dean of the College for Liberal Arts and Sciences and the media services are located here.

Copley-Thaw Hall with porch

17. COPLEY QUAD student housing project opened for occupancy in August 2008. The new building houses 250 students in 4-person suites. The building boasts 2,500 square feet of common area space that will include a conference/classroom, staff offices, 24-hour reception desk, laundry facilities, recreational space, a full-service kitchen, computer labs and study rooms. 18. NICKEL HALL* — This residence hall stood in the area that is now Copley Quad. Its construction was funded by donations of nickels, made by Sunday school children across the country, thus the name. It was built in 1895 and demolished in 1968. 19. DYER APARTMENTS* — This wood frame barracks-style structure stood north of Nickel Hall. It served as residences from 1946 until it was razed in 1968.

Nickel Hall

20. SYNERGY SERVICES COUNSELING AND ADMINISTRATION CENTER — This brick building, near the soccer field, is owned by Synergy Services and is used for administration and counseling offices. Park University maintains the building under contract. Nickel Hall

21. FIELD HOUSE AND INTRAMURAL CENTER — Built in 1904 and formerly called Labor Hall, this building contained a swimming pool*, bowling alley and gymnasium. Currently it houses coaches’ offices and a fitness center for Park’s athletic programs. Park University has several nationally ranked sports teams. Baseball, basketball, soccer, softball, track, golf and volleyball are among the competitive sports played at Park.

Labor Hall

22. DONALD J. BRECKON SPORTS CENTER — This facility was dedicated in 2001. The two-domed facility houses the athletic department offices and provides courts for basketball and volleyball, and indoor practice facilities for all sports. * Building no longer exists

3


Park University Campus Tour

23. SYNERGY RESIDENCE — Built in 1912 as the Waverly Health Center, this building is now leased by Synergy Services as a short-term treatment facility for troubled youth. 24. QUONSET HUTS* — The three metal buildings were used for a variety of purposes. They functioned as dormitories, married student residences, classrooms, storage and even a coffee house, during the period of 1946 through 1992. 25. TERRACE HOUSE* — Mrs. Anna Bailey McAfee lived in this building after Dr. John A. McAfee’s death in 1890. Later it became a dormitory and was demolished in the 1960s.

Quonset Huts

26. CHESNUT HALL — Opened in 1968, and formerly known as “New Dorm,” Chesnut serves as a residence hall for men and women. 27. DEARING HALL — Built in 1961, this building serves as a residence hall. Old Chesnut Hall*, which burned in October, 1956, originally sat on this site. 28. BASEBALL DIAMOND & SOCCER PRACTICE FACILITY — Located at the east end of 6th Street at the top of the hill are the Hemingway Soccer Field and the Comfort Baseball Field. The soccer field was dedicated in 2001 and is used as a practice field. The baseball field was also dedicated in 2001. Summertree Stables* once occupied this area, which had probably been the college orchard. Old Chesnut Hall

29. ALFALFA POINT — Overlooking the Missouri River Valley, Alfalfa Point has been a favorite spot for picnics. A trail leading to Falling Springs can be found on the east slope.

30. BLACK HISTORY WALL — This display, dedicated June 2, 2000, honors the contributions that Park-employed African-Americans have made to Park University.

31. WESTCOTT BUILDING* — Built in 1895 as a home for the print shop and school store, the brick building was converted for use of the maintenance department. It was located on the southeast corner of the soccer field parking lot, next to the White Alloe, and was torn down in 1988.

32. JULIAN FIELD — This facility was dedicated in 1998 and is the home of the Park University soccer teams. The stadium seats 1500. Adjacent to the stadium is the softball diamond and the track.

33. OLD BAKERY BUILDING — This structure was constructed in 1895 and was used as the school bakery for many years. It is now a storage area for the athletic department equipment. 4

* Building no longer exists

2010


Park University Campus Tour

34. CERAMICS — Built in 1896 as the Root House, this is the home to the ceramics studio, a division of the art department. This facility is also the site of the Marjorie Westmoreland Snack Bar dedicated in 1999. The snack bar is open during soccer games and other events. 35. PARKVILLE ROTARY’S DONALD J. BRECKON FITNESS TRAIL — This trail was dedicated in 2000. The trail is located east of the track and has a number of fitness stations. The trail is a community project of the Parkville Rotary. 36. TENNIS COURTS — These courts are open to the public and are jointly maintained by the City of Parkville and Park University. 37. SHEPHERD HALL — Built in 1968, Shepherd Hall is an apartment complex for faculty staff and students. Gillette Hall*, the home of H. B. McAfee and later a dormitory, originally sat on this site. 38. WOODWARD HALL* — Woodward was built in 1908 using much of the building stone from “Old Number One,” the first college building. “Number One” had been built by George Park in 1850 as the “Missouri Valley Hotel.” He loaned it to Dr. McAfee as part of their agreement and classes began there on May 12, 1875. The building was remodeled in the 1890s and renamed Woodward Hall. After it was demolished in 1908 to make way for a wider railroad track, both the stones and the name were recycled. Woodward was torn down in 1978 after a disastrous fire gutted the center portion of the building.

Gillette Hall

Woodward Hall

39. DAIRY FARM* — The site of the Park College cow barn and adjoining buildings is near the bottom of Riss Lake Dam. 40. WALNUT GROVE CEMETERY — Park University's founders and many faculty, staff and alumni are buried in this privately administered cemetery. This was the site of the first Founders Day event in 1891. 41. SUNSET — Built in 1906 as the President's residence, it was used as a dormitory from 1914 to 1948 when it was converted into apartments. In 1968 the college sold the building. Today it is a privately owned apartment building.

Cow Barn

* Building no longer exists

5


Park University Campus Tour

42. PARKER HOUSE — The former residence hall stands on the highest hill in Parkville and is the residence of Mark Sherwood, son of Paul ('47) and Marlowe ('63). 43. POWER PLANT — The former Park College power plant, built in 1918, was converted into a restaurant and brew pub after the disastrous flood of 1993. The smoke stack was demolished in 2007. 44. GREENHOUSE* — Park's work study program included the greenhouse located where the post office stands today.

Park College Power Plant

45. ENTRANCE — The original entrance to the campus ran along the stairs south of the chapel and followed the path of the current sidewalk. The entrance was relocated to its present location in 1971 when the highway was redesigned. 46. ROCK HOUSE — This residence, circa 1885, was built from stone probably quarried from the campus. It was rebuilt in 1948 after a fire.

47. COMMERCIAL UNDERGROUND — Excavation began in the 1970s and continues today. At this time approximately 386,000 square feet of space is available. A major tenant is the Park Hill School District. There are three public entrances. COLLEGE FOR DISTANCE LEARNING opened in the Commercial Underground in Spring 2004. The administrative offices for the campus centers and the Online programs are located in this facility. Student Financial Aid, Park Student Success Center, and various staff offices are located in the commercial underground.

Original Campus Entrance

Photos are courtesy of the Frances Fishburn Archives. This publication is available through the Park University Office of Alumni Relations. 6

* Building no longer exists

2010

Campus Tours  

The Old, the New and the Whatever Happened to,,,Campus Tour

Read more
Read more
Similar to
Popular now
Just for you