1 Peter 2 Peter
1 Peter + 2 Peter • 1 Peter written around 50-67 A.D. while St. Peter preached in Rome.
• 2 Peter written around 63-67 A.D. while St. Peter was imprisoned in Rome. • Both written by St. Peter the Apostle. • One of the 12 Disciples.
• Preached in Judea, Antioch, and certain parts of Asia, and finally came to Rome, where he was crucified upside down by the Emperor Nero.
Martyred under Emperor Nero in 67 A.D.
St. Peter and St. Paul were both martyred in Rome
Both Saints Share the Same Feast Day (Abib 5)
1st Patriarch of Antioch
122nd Patriarch of Antioch
St. Augustine Bishop of Hippo
• “Blessed are you, Simon…And I also say to you that you are Peter [Petrus], and on this rock [petra] I will build My church…”(Matthew 16:16-18)
• On "this stone" [petra], is on that which you say: “You are the Christ, the Son of the Living God" it is on this, your confession, I build My Church.” • (Sermon of Saint Augustine, Bishop of Hippo, 4th Century)
• “…But as He who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, because it is written, “Be holy, for I am holy.” (1 Peter 1:15-16)
• “If you see a man pure and humble, that is a great vision. For what is greater than such a vision, to see the invisible God in a visible man?” (The Lives of the Desert Fathers, Benedicta Ward)
1 Peter 1:6-9 1 Peter 4:2-4 1 Peter 4:12-13 1 Peter 2:13-17 1 Peter 3:3-4
“…That the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ…” (1 Peter 1:7)
• “…Beloved, I beg you as sojourners and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts which war against the soul…” (1 Peter 2:11)
“Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour.” (1 Peter 5:9)
“Resist him, steadfast in the faith…” (1 Peter 5:9)
2 Peter 1:16 2 Peter 1:20-21
“…As His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness…by which have been given to us exceedingly great and precious promises, that through these you
may be partakers
OF the divine
nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.” (2 Peter 1:3-4)
“Abba Lot went to see Abba Joseph and said to him, 'Abba as far as I can I say my little office, I fast a little, I pray and meditate, I live in peace, and, as far as I can, I purify my thoughts. What else can I do?'
Then the old man stood up and stretched his hands towards heaven. His fingers became like ten lamps of fire and he said to him, 'If you will, you can become all flame.’”
(The Sayings of the Desert Fathers, Benedicta Ward)