Aggie Milestones 125 years
NMSU students have been hitting the books for more than a century. The university, then known as New Mexico College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts, opened its first library inside McFie Hall on Feb. 9, 1891.
NMSU’s historic Rhodes-GarrettHamiel Hall turns 75 years old in 2016. The student housing facility, originally known as Rhodes Hall, was built in 1941. The Garrett wing was added in 1942 and the Hamiel wing came online in 1955.
115 years Women’s basketball was first organized at New Mexico State University in 1901 – predating the Aggie men’s team. As a sign of how times have changed, the early uniforms for the women’s team consisted of long, black dresses.
70 years NMSU’s Physical Science Laboratory, a research and development unit better known on campus as PSL, was founded on May 15, 1946. Its first contract was with the U.S. Army to study V2 Rocket technology captured from the Nazis during WWII.
In 1956, NMSU’s various education classes were brought together under one roof, with the founding of the NMSU College of Education. William B. O’Donnell served as its first dean. Coaching legend Lou Henson became the NMSU men’s head basketball coach in 1966. He led the team into the NCAA Tournament in six of his first nine seasons, including a Final Four appearance in 1970. He remains NMSU’s all-time winningest coach with 289 victories.
15 YEARS In 2001, NMSU’s Center for Sustainable Development of Arid Lands officially became known as Skeen Hall, in honor of U.S. Rep. Joe Skeen and his wife, Mary. The building is home to teaching and research related to agriculture and natural resources, as well as county extension offices.
Spring 2016 | New Mexico State University | Panorama
Published on Apr 27, 2016
Panorama is NMSU's Alumni and Friends magazine. To read the current issue, visit https://panorama.nmsu.edu. To view the Fall 2016 issue as a...