ENGLISH TRY OUT SMA N 1 Tegallalang Dear Hiring Manager, I am writing to express my interest in the Web Content manager position listed in MediaBistro.com. I have experience building large costumer-focused-health-content sites. While much of my experience has been in the business world. I understand the social value of the non-profit sector and my business experience will be an asset to your organization. My responsibilities included the development of the site’s editorial voice and style, the editorial calendar, and the daily content programming and production of the web site. I look forward to hearing from you soon Sincerely, Susan Smith Susan Smith
Taken from: http://jobsearch.about.com/
123 Main Street Any Town, CA 11121 Cell: 555-123-1234 Email: email@example.com
1. What is the subject of the email above? a. Media Bistro promotion
d. Business organization
b. Web site development
e. Responsibility in developing business
c. Job application
2. What is the main idea of the second paragraph? a. Writer’s work experience
d. Writer’s hope for the job
b. Writer’s web site
e. Writer’s interest
c. Writer’s development
3. The underlined word in “…my business experience will be an asset to your organization.” means…. a. property
d. plus point
Dim Sum Extravaganza at Lai Ching The Lai Ching Restaurant at the Four Seasons Hotel in Jakarta is serving dim sum in many varieties at the affordable price of Rp. 88.000,00 per person. Lai Ching offers a wide variety of Cantonese style specialties of dim sum, such as a steamed vegetable dumpling with fungus and bamboo shoots, bamboo and black mushrooms, and steamed ha gao with sharks’ fin.
At the Lai Ching Restaurant, gust can choose from 30 mouth-watering varieties and three additional dishes from the a la carte menu. It is said that dim sum means “to touch your heart” and Lai Ching serves its guests to feel the same way. Four Seasons Hotel, Jl. HR Rasuna Said, Jakarta Phone: (021) 2523456
4. According to the advertisement above which one is correct? a. Lai Ching is a seasons hotel, located at Jl. HR Rasuna Said, Jakarta b. Lai Ching serves dim sum in many varieties c. Lai Ching really feels doubtful that its services can touch the guests’ heart d. There are more than 30 mouth-watering varieties and three additional dishes from the a la carte menu e. Dim Sum is the name of famous restaurant in Four Seasons Hotel 5. The text above describes…. a. Four Seasons Hotel at Jl. HR Rasuna Said, Jakarta b. Cantonese style of cooking c. Guest of Dim sum extravaganza d. Bamboo and black mushroom e. Dim sum extravaganza at the Lai Ching Restaurant 6. “ … in many varieties at the affordable price of Rp. 88.000,00 per person.” ‘Affordable’ has almost the
same meaning as …. a. reasonable
EUROPE BREAKS BARRIERS IN FIGHTING TERROR BERLIN: European countries are starting to break down the barriers between intelligence and police agencies, sweeping aside concerns about civil right abuses in hopes of combating terrorism more effectively. The agencies are starting to cooperate in what are being called “war rooms”, state-of-the-art communication centers, that allow police and intelligence agencies to meet and ahre information, such as live wiretaps, video or satellite pictures. The moves has been in the works for more than a year but have taken a new urgency since terrorist attack in Spain in March and the killing of the Dutch film director Theo Van Gogh. Next month Germany will open its “Terrorism Information and Analysis Center”, according to Jorg Ziercke, the president of the German Federal Police. (Taken from: The Asian Wall Street Journal, 2004)
7. Combating terrorism more effectively is European countries’ …. a. intelligence
State-of-the-art communication centers - that allow police and intelligence agencies to meet and share information, such as live wiretaps, video or satellite pictures - is called …. a. war rooms
c. Police Agencies
e. German Federal Police
b. civil rights
d. Terrorism Information and Analysis Center
“The moves have been in the works for more than a year but have taken a new urgency….” The underlined words refer to ….
a. war rooms
c. police and intelligence agencies
b. communication centers
d. wiretaps and video
e. satellite pictures
10. What is the communicative purpose of the text above? a. To inform the readers about events of the day b. To amuse and entertain readers c. To criticize somebody’s work d. To describe specific thing e. To tell how to make something through a set of instruction
Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man’s Chest (Adventure, 151 minutes) Starring
: Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom, Keira Knightley, Bill Nighy.
: Gore Verbinski.
: Walt Disney Pictures.
In the sequel to the 2003 highly successful film Pirates of the Carribean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, you can see everyone’s favorite scoundrel, Captain Jack Sparrow (the brilliant Johnny Depp) trying to weasel out of paying blood debt owed to the mythical Davy Jones, the captain of the otherworldly ship The Flying Dutchman. Time is being the biggest enemy, and Sparrow pulls every trick he knows to find a way to escape the 100 years of servitude owed to Davy Jones. His old friends, Elizabeth Swann (Keira Knightley) and Will Turner (Orlando Bloom), are once again sucked into Sparrow’s misadventures. The success of the first sequel relied on the simple thrill ride charm of a classic swashbuckler. Unfortunately, this second sequel over extends that charm without adding anything new other than a long, contrived and rather unnecessary plot twist. The only true pleasurable aspect of this film is Depp’s reprise of Sparrow which never fails to generate laughs. Without Depp, this film would have simply drowned in an ocean of redundancy.
11. According to the reviewer, who becomes the most favorable actor in this film? a. Keira Knightley
c. Bill Nighy
e. Johnny Depp
4 b. Orlando Bloom
d. Gore Verbinski
12. “Without Depp, this film would have simply drowned in an ocean of redundancy.” This means that this
film is … a. interesting
13. Which paragraph tells the plot of the film? a. Paragraph 1
c. Paragraph 3
b. Paragraph 2
d. Paragraph 4
e. Paragraph 1-4
14. Which of the statement shows the appraisal to the film? a. Elizabeth Swann (Keira Knightley) and Will Turner (Orlando Bloom), are once again sucked into
Sparrow’s misadventures. b. The success of the first sequel relied on the simple thrill ride charm of a classic swashbuckler. c. Unfortunately, this second sequel over extends that charm without adding anything new other than a
long, contrived and rather unnecessary plot twist. d. The only true pleasurable aspect of this film is Depp’s reprise of Sparrow which never fails to
generate laughs. e. Without Depp, this film would have simply drowned in an ocean of redundancy.
The Pros and Cons of Video Games Nowadays, the video games industry is developing rapidly. It becomes a multi-billion dollar industry. Video games have become an important part not only in the children’s life but also the adult’. Nevertheless, there is argument whether video games bring good or bad influences on children. People who have a pro argument claim that video games give a lot of benefit. Playing video games is a good way to kill children boredom. It can refresh the children’s mind after tiring school day. Moreover, they also argue that video games can trigger children to be more creative because the games provide challenging ways to win. In other words, they believe that the video games can actually sharpen a human’s brain. Conversely, some people believe that video games make children lazy. They argue that playing video games is addictive. As a consequence, most of the children prefer playing video games to studying. These children find it hard to concentrate on their study because they always think about how to spend more time playing video games. In fact, there are also some children who skip their extracurricular lessons, just because they want to play video games. In addition, most of the video games often expose too much violence. Two years ago in the USA, for example, a student shot his teacher and some of his friends. Newspaper said that the boy was deeply influenced by the actions in the video games he used to play with. It is obvious that video games have more disadvantages than advantages. Therefore, parents should be very careful in selecting the appropriate games for their children. 15. What is the main idea of the second paragraph? a. The issue related to video games
d. The conclusion of the text
b. The arguments against video games
e. The reasons why video games is not good.
5 c. The arguments for video games
16. Which paragraph shows the argument against video games? a. First paragraph
c. Third paragraph
b. Second paragraph
d. Fourth paragraph
e. First and Third paragraph
17. Which of the following statements is NOT true? a. Children like playing video games. b. Adults like playing video games. c. The writer takes side towards the pros opinion. d. Parents should select the games carefully. e. Violence in the games influences the children very much.
An X-ray is a spectrum of light. When it is radiated through one’s body, it can be used for detecting his/her internal body organs. The X-ray was invented by a German scientist, Wilhelm Conrad Rontgen. Despite the fact that X-rays can detect cancer, cysts, and tumors, there are many conflicting opinions about the use of X-rays in the hospital. Some people agree that an X-ray examination is beneficial. They argue that doctors should use X-ray in examining a severe illness. If doctors do not use X-ray, they could miss some important information which is very useful in making a diagnosis on a patient’s disease. This will sometimes cause a doctor to be inaccurate in prescribing medicine to cure an illness. Other people, however, disagree with the use of an X-ray examination. They think that using an X-ray examination will cost them a lot of money. That is really true. Another reason is that the radiation of an Xray has some risks to body tissues. As a result of this controversy, many people use traditional health cure to avoid the high cost of hospital care because hospitals still insist on having X-ray examinations on patients to get an accurate diagnosis although the cost is very high.
18. The text above is mainly about… a. the controversy of using an X-ray examination b. the use of traditional health cure to avoid the high cost of hospital care c. some opinions to avoid the use of an X-ray d. illness cured by an X-ray examination
19. Which statement is true? a. An X-ray is a spectrum of light which is radiated through our body and used for detecting our external
body organs. b. When we are ill, we can use an X-ray to find out if there is something wrong with our external parts
of the body.
6 c. All people agree with the use of an X-ray examination to detect internal body organs. d. All patients agree that the use of an X-ray examination to detect a severe illness is not beneficial. e. Some patients disagree to use an X-ray examination because it will cost them a lot of money and the
radiation of an X-ray has some risks to body tissues.
20. The communicative purpose of text above is …. a. to present information and opinions about more than one side of an issue b. to criticize the current issues c. to describe an important issue d. to share an account of unusual or amusing incidents e. to explain why something occurs.
Ant-eaters are perhaps the most curious looking animal. Their long head and snout look like tubes and they have no teeth at all. Their front legs are very strong and armed with heavy curved claws with which they break open the nest of ants and termites and then, when the insects rush out, the ant-eaters use their long. Sticky tongues to lick them up at a great speed. True ant-eaters are found in swamps and forests of Central and South America. Scaly ant-eaters or pangolins are found in Africa and tropical Asia Insect-eating animals are sometimes called ant-eaters, although they actually belong to other groups of animals. One of them is ant-bear, which live on the plains of South and Central Africa. It has long, erect ears, but short blunt claws, an almost hairless tail and is yellow brown in color. Unlike the true ant-eaters, it has small teeth. Adapted from: Creative Writing 3 PT Erlangga
21. The second paragraph describes about…. a. the uses of ant-eaters
d. the growth of ant-eaters
b. the habitat of ant-eaters
e. the species of ant-eaters
c. the parts of ant-eaters’ body 22. “Unlike the true ant-eaters, it has small teeth.” The statement means …. a. the true ant-eaters have no teeth b. the true ant-eaters have small teeth c. the ant-bear has no teeth d. the ant-bear has big teeth e. both ant-eaters and ant-bears have no teeth
Spiders are predatory invertebrate animals. They are not classified in the class of Insecta. A spider has eight legs while an insect never has more than six legs. Spiders have a body with two main divisions, four pairs of walking legs and two other pairs of abdominal spinnerets for spinning the thread silk. This silk can be used to aid in climbing, build egg sacs and catch prey.
Spiders kill so many insects, but they never do the least harm to man’s belongings. Spiders are busy for at least half of the year killing insects. It is impossible to find out how many insects they kill, since they are hungry creatures which cannot be content with only three meals a day. 23. The purpose of the text above is to…. a. explain about spiders’ behaviour
d. persuade people about spiders
b. tell a particular spiders in chronological order
e. retell about spiders
c. describes an insect 24. Why can’t spiders be classified in the class of Insecta? a. Because spiders have more than six legs b. Because spiders’ bodies have two main divisions c. Because they have walking legs d. Because spiders kills many insects e. Because spiders are hungry creatures 25. “…, they never do the least harm to man’s belongings”. The underlined word has almost the same
meaning as the word …. a. useless