SUMMER HOLIDAYS BOX | JULY 13TH, 2011 Roots • Red Fingerling Potatoes (Mike Dixon) • Garlic (Earthtrine) • Purple Spring Onions (Amapola Ranch)
Leafy Greens • Sorrel (Roots)* • Arugula (Earthtrine) • Spring Mix (Shepherd)
Herbs • Mint (Earthtrine)* • Basil (Earthtrine)
Juice • Orange Juice – Friends Ranch
Vegetables • • • •
Baby Artichokes (Life’s a Choke)* Bell Peppers (Givens)* French Filet Beans (Givens) Heirloom Tomatoes (Tutti Frutti)
Extra Fruit ** • • • •
Strawberries (Roots) Figs (Avila) Tangerines (Rancho Sta Cecilia) Extra Apricots
Dairy • Pastured Butter (Organic Valley) • San Joaquin Gold
Grain/ Pulse • Savory Pie Shell -- Simply PIes
Catch of the Week **
• Unrefined Cane Sugar (Alter Eco or
• Tuna (Kanaloa Seafood)
Fruit • • • • • • •
Melon (Old River) Apricots (Avila)* Yellow Peaches (Avila) Avocados (Rancho S. Cecilia) Lemon (Earthtrine)* Flavor Gold Pluots (Burkdoll) Bananas (Fair Trade)
Meat & Eggs • • • •
Top Sirloin (Dey Deys) Ground Beef (Rancho San Julian) Whole or 1/2 Chicken (Dey Deys) 1 dozen Lily’s Eggs*
Regional Specialty • Bona Dea Blenheim Apricot Jam
Nuts, Seeds or Dried Fruit
• Walnuts (Avila) New Customer/ Referral Gift • Bouquets (Garden Of…)
* Not included in the Couple’s Box ** This category is an ‘Add-on’ option. Please go to www.outoftheboxcollective.com if you are interested
THIS WEEK’S RECIPES! Picnic Chicken, Grilled Yellow Peach, Basil, and Avocado Salad Asian Apricot Marinated Top Sirloin Skewers, Toasted Sesame Seed and Green Bean Salad Potato and Ground Beef a Gratin with San Joaquin Gold Cheese, Arugula Salad Summer Vegetable Quiche and Salad Greens Baby Artichokes braised in White Wine and Fennel Seed
Cajun Seared Ahi, Sorrel, sliced Plums, Toasted Walnut Dressing
PICNIC CHICKEN, GRILLED YELLOW PEACH, BASIL, AND AVOCADO SALAD Ingredients:
• 1 Whole/Half Chicken • 3 Garlic cloves, rough chopped • 1/2 Onion, rough chopped • Herbs, any you have lying around • 3 Yellow Peaches, pitted and sliced in half • 1 Lrg. Avocado, diced • 3 ea. Spring Onions, sliced into thin rings • Basil, rough chopped • Olive oil • Salt • Pepper The chicken: pre-heat the oven to 375' degrees Fahrenheit.
If you have a whole chicken, stick the onions, garlic, and herbs inside the chicken carcass, rub olive oil over the whole bird and season generously with salt and pepper and place in a roasting pan. With a half chicken place the onions, garlic and herbs under the chicken, rub with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper and place in a roasting pan. When the oven is heated roast the chicken until cooked through. For a whole chicken it will be about hour to an hour and fifteen minutes. For half a chicken it should be ready in 45 minutes. When the chicken is cooked, remove it from the oven and allow to cool. Once it's cool place the whole thing, chicken, onions, juices and all into a air tight bag and refrigerate until it's picnic time!! Salad: Grill the prepared peaches and set aside to cool. Once the peaches have cooled through, dice and mix with avocado, basil, and green onions. Season with a drizzle of olive oil, salt, and pepper.
ASIAN APRICOT MARINATED TOP SIRLOIN SKEWERS, TOASTED SESAME SEED AND GREEN BEAN SALAD
Grilling note: Soak wooden skewers in water over night before using. This will keep them from burning when grilling.
• Top Sirloin, sliced in to thin strips • 3 tbs. Bona Dia Blenheim Apricot Preserve • 2 Garlic Cloves, rough chopped • Basil, rough chopped • 2 Spring Onions, sliced in thin rings • 2 Zucchini, cut into quarters the long way, then cut into cubes • 1/2 lb French Fillet Beans, blanched for one minute • 4 tbs. Sesame Seeds/ toasted • 2 tbs. Sesame oil • 4 oz Soy Sauce • 2 oz Honey/Maple Syrup
This is by far my favorite grilling marinade. The combination of soy, honey and apricot preserve brings you such a wonderful, teriyaki meets fresh fruit flavor. Skewers: First off marinate Top Sirloin. Slice the Sirloin into thin strips. Mix the soy sauce, apricot preserve, honey or maple syrup, basil and the garlic together. Add the sirloin strips and marinate at least one hour. When the sirloin is marinated, skewer with cubed zucchini and grill when ready. Salad: To blanch the French Beans, drop them in a pot of boiling salted water for one minute and then remove and put them into a bowl of ice water. This will cook the beans and then stop the cooking so they will still be crunchy. Remove the beans from the water and allow to dry for a minute. Toss the beans with the spring onions, toasted sesame seeds, toasted sesame oil, olive oil, salt and pepper.
POTATO AND GROUND BEEF A GRATIN WITH SAN JOAQUIN GOLD CHEESE, ARUGULA SALAD Ingredients:
• 3 Potatoes, peeled and sliced • 1 lb. Ground Beef • 2 Garlic Cloves, diced • 1/2 Onion, diced • San Joaquin Gold, sliced • Arugula • Juice of 1 Lemon • 2 oz Apple Cider Vinegar • 6 oz Olive Oil • Salt • Pepper • 1 tsp. Paprika • 2 tsp. Oregano, dried This dish is similar to a scallop potato dish, but in this case you layer sliced potatoes, cooked ground beef, and cheese. Pre-heat oven to 350'F Saute the onions and garlic in a pan for 3 minutes, or until slightly soft, then add the ground beef, paprika, and dried oregano. Continue sautéing on medium heat, stirring if necessary, until the ground beef is all cooked. Save all the pan juices. Layer in a baking dish: sliced potatoes, ground beef, and cheese. Finish with a cheese layer. Salt and pepper each layer. When the dish is full pour all the juice from the ground beef into the gratin. Cover the pan with tin foil and bake in the oven for 50 minutes on 350'F, then remove the tin foil and continue baking for 20 more minutes at 375'F. To make the vinaigrette, whisk together the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, and some salt and pepper. Toss the arugula in the dressing just before eating.
SUMMER VEGETABLE QUICHE SALAD GREENS Ingredients:
• 1 Bell Pepper, diced (Opt.) • 1 Onion, diced • 2 Garlic Clove, diced • 2 Zucchini, diced • Savory Pie Shell from Simply Pies • Salad greens • Heirloom Tomatoes, sliced • 8 ea. Eggs • 8 oz. Yogurt or Sour Cream • Olive oil • Salt • Pepper • Apple Cider Vinegar • Lemon Directions:
This is a pretty straight-forward Sunday brunch quiche. It's always good to give yourself time with a quiche because it's best to let it rest awhile before serving for ease of cutting. Love the summer weekends! Pre-heat the oven to 325'F. Saute the onions, peppers (opt.), garlic, and zucchini in olive oil. Once the are cooked set aside to cool. Whisk together the yogurt and eggs, season generously with salt and pepper. Once the vegetables are cooled, put them in the savory pie shell. Pour the egg mixture into the shell and evenly disperse the vegetables. Bake the quiche for 50-60 minutes or until it's set in the middle. Remove the quiche from the oven and cool for a half hour. For the salad dressing follow the recipe from the potatoes and ground beef a gratin. Serve the quiche with the salad dressed and sliced heirloom tomatoes.
BABY ARTICHOKES BRAISED IN WHITE WINE AND FENNEL SEED Ingredients:
• 6-8 ea. Baby Artichokes, cleaned and halved, see below. • 1/2 ea. Onion, sliced • 3 ea. Garlic Glove, rough chopped • 1 ea. Carrot, sliced in rings • 8 oz. White Wine • 1 Tbs. Fennel seed • 1tsp. Coriander seed • 1 tsp. Chili flakes • 16 oz. Chicken, Vegetable broth • Salt • Pepper This is an excellent side dish to any back yard BBQ party. Lots of fresh squeezed lemon juice is a must. Preheat the oven to 375'F. Prep your artichokes Follow these handy instructions and prep your artichokes. Don’t be surprised if the amount of artichoke heading towards your pan is far less than the amount headed towards the compost bin. Basically, you will chop off the first third of the artichoke and then peel away all the tough outer leaves. Finally, chop off the tough part of the stem and slice the entire thing in half, lengthwise. All prepped! For the rest: Saute the onions, garlic, and carrots on medium high heat in a pan with oil. After 2 minutes add the fennel seed, coriander seed, and chili flakes. Add the artichokes and deglaze with the wine. Reduce the wine by half, then add the broth and turn it all down to a low simmer. Simmer until the artichoke hearts are fork tender. Season with salt and pepper. Enjoy
CAJUN SEARED AHI SORREL, SLICED PLUMS TOASTED WALNUT DRESSING Ingredients:
• Ahi • Sorrel/ washed, dried • 3 ea. Plums/ sliced • 2 cup Walnuts/ toasted • Cajun Seasoning • 4 tbs. Apple Cider Vinegar • 1 tbs. Honey • 1 tsp. Dijon Mustard • 2 tsp. Soy Sauce • 4 shakes of Tabasco • 12 tbs. Canola Oil • Manchego Cheese (opt) • Salt • Pepper Process:
This recipe also works great with shrimp and other seafood. At a friend’s wedding this summer I prepared this salad with shrimp. Give it a try. Pat dry the Ahi and cut it into steaks. Dust them in Cajun seasoning or some kind of spicy seasoning. Heat a sauté pan really hot and sear the ahi steaks rare in canola oil. Set aside the steaks once they are cooked and let them cool down. Toast the walnuts in the oven at 375'F for 20 minutes. Once walnuts are toasted and cooled, using a blender or food processor, blend up 1 cup of the toasted walnuts, the soy sauce, tabasco, honey, mustard, and apple cider vinegar. With all this blending up, slowly start adding all the canola oil. Season with salt and pepper. Roughly crush the other 1 cup of toasted walnuts and toss with the sorrel and plums in the dressing. Slice the tuna, it's served at room temperature. If you have any hard cheese, like a Manchego or Parmesan or a Gouda, shave some into the salad for a great creamy salty contrast.
LEMON BARS • Crust: • 1/4 cup powdered sugar • 1 cup flour • 4 oz/1 stick butter unsalted/softened • 1/4 tsp salt • Lemon: • 1/3 cup lemon juice/fresh squeezed only • 2 eggs • 1 cup sugar • 2 Tbs flour Preheat oven to 350'F Crust first. In a food processor, measure out all the ingredients for the crust. Turn on and let it all mix together. It's ready when it turns into a lovely ball of sweet pastry dough. Press the dough into a 9'x9' baking dish, poke it with holes (use a fork), and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes. What you’re looking for is a light browning on the bottom of the crust. Lemon topping. While the crust is baking, combine the eggs and sugar in a bowl and whisk together. When the crust is finished par-baking, remove from the oven. Then add the lemon juice and flour to the eggs and sugar and whisk all together. Pour the lemon mixture over the par-baked crust. Put it all back into the oven and continue baking until the lemon mixture is set(15 minutes). To check, give the pan a little shake and if it's set you'll know.
HEIRLOOM TOMATO, BASIL, GARLIC, AND PARMESAN FRESH SUMMER PASTA Ingredients: • 3 ea. Heirloom Tomatoes, diced into fat chunks • 2 ea. Garlic Cloves, sliced thin • Basil, rough chopped • 1 pkg. Fresh Pasta • 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese, grated • Olive oil • Salt • Pepper In this case less is more...even keep the cooking to a minimum. The idea with this pasta is to heat the tomatoes and garlic and basil just enough to release their flavors. Enjoy the summer garden flavors! Have the pasta cooked and ready to go before you start the sauce. Save the pasta water. Saute sliced garlic in olive oil for a minute, then add the tomatoes and basil and cook for another minute. Once the tomatoes start to break down add the cooked pasta and 4 oz pasta water. Bring everything back to a boil add let simmer for 30 seconds, then add the cheese and turn off the burner. Stir the cheese in while the pasta is still hot. Enjoy with any green salad.