OUC History Book

Page 25

Environmental Regulations Groundbreaking for the OUC Administration Building.

In the ‘50s and ‘60s, the federal government enacted environmental legislation that would have a lasting effect on public utilities. The Air Pollution Control Act of 1955 — the first federal legislation involving air pollution — funded research for scope and sources of air pollution. The Clean Air Act of 1963 was the first federal legislation regarding air pollution control. It authorized the development of a national program to address air pollution-related environmental problems and authorized research into techniques to minimize air pollution.

OUC Helps Support City Services In 1966, OUC transferred $4.18 million to

sewerage and sanitary facilities, street paving,

the City of Orlando, which amounted to more

cleaning and lighting, parks and playgrounds,

than 50 percent of the City’s operating

traffic engineering, airport operation, health

budget. Power and water contributions

department services and many more

helped provide police and fire protection,

community services.

In 1968, the Florida State Board of Health

Mapping a System of Pipes, Power Lines, Plants and Substations One of the most significant accomplishments

The Air Quality Act of 1967 authorized enforcement procedures for air pollution problems involving interstate transport of pollutants and authorized expanded research activities.

OUC Water Department Chosen Best in State populations of more than 25,000, the state

chose OUC’s water department as the best

board of field sanitary engineers judged the

large-city operation in the state for the previous

Orlando plant tops in product quality, employee

three years. After inspecting private and

professionalism, preventive maintenance, safety,

municipal facilities serving areas with

cleanliness and emergency planning.

OUC Opens New Administration Building

easily. It needed not only the appropriate

On April 18, 1968, OUC opened its new,

of the late 1960s was the improvement of

technology, but also required that people

eight-story, $3 million Administration Building

Building will give the Commission a greater

OUC’s electric mapping system. Up to that

change longstanding habits.

and Customer Service Center at the corner of

operational capacity, a needed capacity

time, most of the feeder circuits and electrical

The mapping system process was continually

Manager, “The new Administration

Orange Avenue and Anderson Street. The

with the advent of Disney World, Florida

switching capabilities had resided in the minds

upgraded and improved as time and technology

new facility, which would serve as OUC’s

Technological University and the new Naval

of a few people and hard copies of maps. But,

advanced to the point where even field

home in downtown Orlando for the next 40

Training Center. These additions to our

as OUC grew, better documentation was

personnel have access to mapping and

years, housed all of the Commission’s

economy will put increasing demands upon

needed. This process, however, did not come

switching procedures via portable computers.

administrative personnel, as well as business

OUC to supply efficient, low-cost electric

and accounting divisions.

and water services to a wide variety of new

According to Curtis H. Stanton, OUC Executive Vice President and General

Information Technology: From Spiral Notebooks to Mainframes Logging information into spiral notebooks was standard procedure when OUC first began operations in 1923. In 1966, that all changed, as the utility installed the first stage of its new $600,000 data processing system. The basic units of the new system, the IBM-360, were installed on the seventh floor of City Hall until the Commission’s new building was complete. B.L. Cording, OUC data processing division director, told the Orlando Morning Sentinel that “the IBM-360 is a vast, powerful system that will simplify OUC’s programming effort and will allow maximum utilization of equipment and provide continuous availability of necessary information.” (Orlando Sentinel, 1966)

Page 20

Page 21

industries, businesses, public institutions and residential areas.”