SAINT-AFFRIQUE discovering the heart of the town
City map of Saint-Affrique
vers Pastoralia (2 km)
C de ln a
Boulevard de la Résistance
te as u les Char
ont N Le p
d de evar Boul
n Ga ucie ue L Aven
vers Albi (78 km)
t ly po
ev ar d
ile Bo r
Avenue de Lauras, 12250 Roquefort-sur-Soulzon Tel: 05 65 58 56 00 firstname.lastname@example.org TOURIST OFFICE OF THE PAYS DE ROQUEFORT ET DU SAINT-AFFRICAIN
vers Millau/A75 (39 km)
MAP LEGEND Number corresponding to heritage sites
Towers Gates of the former battlements
More to be seen House of Memory
Pont du chemin de fer
Formerly known as the “place aux herbes”, where a vegetable market used to be held, the Town Hall Square is now the heart of a pedestrian area.
• The Town Hall dating from 1862. • The Rams Fountain, created in 1987 by Rémi Coudrain, sculptor (www. coudrain-sculpteur.com). 9
Rue du Traupont
Town Hall square
Rue Lion d’or
Although seemingly unimportant today, this street was formerly one of the principal entrances into the town. It was part of the main road linking up the Albigeois to the Cévennes. Attested in 1810, the name alludes to the village Saint Rome de Tarn whose coat of arms bore the inscription “de gueules au lion d’or”. (Red of the golden lion.) However, it is possible that this name also relates to an inn sign stating: “Au lit on dort” (play on words: the golden lion/when in bed one sleeps!).
I ts elevated position allows a nice perspective view of the town: the church with its rising spire, the Pont Vieux, the boulevard Victor Hugo (a weekly market is held here every Saturday morning), and in the distance the Caylus rock overlooking Saint‑Affrique. 10 Rue des Tendes The word “Tendes” designated the Do you know about the history of the great frames on which the wet cloth Pont du Chemin de Fer? Dating from was hooked onto once it left the fulling 1932, it was supposed to be part of mill (a water mill operating wooden the extension of the railway from mallets that beat the cloth and made Saint-Affrique to Albi but the project it more flexible and thicker). The cloth was never completed,and was finally was stretched taut so that it would abandoned in 1941 having never seen dry flat in a square shape. The street any commercial traffic. Faces south permitting easier drying. During the 18th and 19th centuries the Rocher du Caylus textile industry was the backbone of This rock was used as the foundation the local economy, therefore twenty or for the construction of the Castle so firms were involved in this activity. of the Counts of Caylus of which This would be the only street in France nothing remains today. The castle that bears this name. was destroyed in retaliation for the 1238 rebellion by the Count of 11 The Statue of Liberty Caylus against his overlord Raymond Like New-York and Paris, St-Affrique VII Count of Toulouse, Marquis of owns its own Statue of Liberty! Provence and of Gothie. Discover its turbulent story by reading the detailed information on the base.
Boulevard Victor Hugo
The Saint-Affricain avant-causses: around thirty dolmens have been listedincluding those of Tiergues (classified historical monument), Crassous (which is called “l’Ercoule” reminds us that according to legend the demigod Hercules known for his super-human strength,built this grave), and Boussac: ask for the leaflet of the tour Boussac : Chapel of Saint-Martin (roman style), boxwoods, cazelles (dry stone
Pastoralia, the world of ewes: an interactive and informative tour about the life and environment of the ewes. Weeklymarket on Saturday morning. Sport facilities: la Gravière outdoor leisure base and football/rugby stadium, swimming pool, equestrian centre.
Hermelix : Dolmen, boxwoods, lavogne (water reservoir), fountain, farm tour. Peyralbe : information board
September to June:
Monday to Saturday from 9:00 to 18:00, Sunday from 9:00 to 13:00 Open all year round July and August:
Bd de Verdun, 12400 Saint-Affrique Tel: 05 65 98 12 40 email@example.com BRANCH IN SAINT-AFFRIQUE
FOLLOW US www.ot-dusaintaffricain.com www.tourisme-aveyron.com
PLAN YOUR STAY
ROQUEFORT, ONE CHEESE, ONE VILLAGE!
“Rising to a height of 630 m, the village of Roquefort backs onto the Combalou causse that nurtures the slow and steady maturing process of the famous cheese which was named after the village in the early medieval period. The Roquefort cheese is the result of a blend of techniques and processes, which have been carefully expanded, improved and passed on over the years. You can explore the caves and search for the mysterious “fleurines” (long natural fissures in the rock that ventilate the cave, blowing holes in Occitan). You can also explore the area defined by the AOC specifications to go back to the milky source sand discover the route Roquefort cheese takes from the milking of the ewes to its production. Whatever you choose to do, you will see that the people who live here are able to make the most of the natural resources available at each stage of the process. From milk production, restricted to a limited catchment area, through the stages of its slow maturing process in the Roquefort caves, to the final product sold in the shops, Roquefort cheese is made with the perfect blend of air, limestone rock and water. All these elements are finely combined and give to this creamy blueveined cheese a taste that only the “Fadarelles” (little fairies from the causse) S know the secret of”.
Sales outlets Map of Roquefort
SOCIÉTÉ Avenue François Galtier Tel. 05 65 58 54 38 firstname.lastname@example.org www.roquefort-societe.com
Guided visit Adults: € 5 Children: from 11 to 16 years old: € 3 Children under 11 years old go free Groups: € 3/per person.
LES CAVES PAPILLON 6 bis, avenue de Lauras - Tel. 05 65 67 23 50 Col des Aiguières email@example.com www.roquefort-papillon.com GABRIEL COULET 5-7, av.de Lauras - Tel. 05 65 59 24 27 firstname.lastname@example.org www.gabriel-coulet.fr
aragnaudes es B ed u R
November to March: open 7 days a week, from 10.00 to 12.00(1)& from 13.30 to 16.30(1) closed January 1st and closed from December 24th 12.00 to December 26th 12.00 April/May/June/September/October: open 7 days a week, from 9.30 to 12.00(1) & from 13.00 to 17.00(1) July/August: open 7 days a week from 9.30 to 17.30(1)
Guided visit Free entry Open every day from 10.00 to 17.00(1)
Unguided visit Le Larzac (8 km) Free entry
Rue de la Créan c
ço e Fran Avenu e r a g a l Avenue de
irs Lavo e la C liniqu
e rs Ve int-J Sa
me des Im
Vers Lauras (3 km) Saint-Affrique (13 km) Millau (25 km)
GABRIEL COULET 5-7, avenue de Lauras Tel. 05 65 59 24 27 www.gabriel-coulet.fr
COMBES “Le Vieux Berger“ Avenue du Combalou Tel. 05 65 59 91 48 www.le-vieux-berger.com
All year round, Monday to Friday, from 8.30 to 12.00 and from 13.30 to 18.00 (closing time on Friday: 17.00)
CARLES 6, avenue de Lauras Tel. 05 65 59 90 28 www.roquefort-carles.com
All year round, Monday to Friday, from 8.15 to 12.00 and from 13.15 to 17.30
SOCIÉTÉ Rue de la Créance Tel. 05 65 58 54 37 www.roquefort-societe.com
MARIA GRIMAL 36, avenue de Lauras Tel. 05 65 58 53 07
Le Bois de Conteynes )
23 km RD ire (3 m ) e n km ur To (8 rs ac Ve Larz le
April/May/June/September: open 7 days a week, from 9.30 to 17.50(1) July/August: open 7 days a week, from 9.00 to 18.50(1)
Visit the packaging workshops COMBES “Le Vieux Berger“ Avenue du Combalou - Tel. 05 65 59 91 48 email@example.com www.le-vieux-berger.com
LES CAVES PAPILLON 6 bis, avenue de Lauras Tel. 05 65 67 23 50 www.roquefort-papillon.com
October to March: open 7 days a week, from 9.30 to 11.50(1) and from 13.30 to 16.50(1)
Hiking Discovering agro-pastoralism The secret megaliths The amazing Roquefort caves
Very likely built towards the end of the 13th century, this bridge was the only one built over the Sorgues until the early 1800s. It was therefore vital to the local economy. With a central arch 71 feet wide and pillars some 11 feet thick, this bridge is outstanding in its construction. Listed as a historic monument in 1886, it is considered as one of the most beautiful medieval bridges in France.
This lively boulevard hosts the popular Saturday market. Notice a contemporary statue showing “Gavroche” (a leading character created by Victor Hugo in his novel “Les misérables”). This contemporary depiction was made by the artist André Debru (whose workshop can be found in the Costes Gozon).
Monday to Saturday from 9:30 to 13:00 and from 14:00 to 17:00 (from November to March, closed on Saturday afternoon)
CONTACT US AND MEET US
Things to discover inside: • The statue of Notre-Dame de Miséricorde carved gilt wood dating from the 15th century. • The stained glass windows depicting the miracles of Africanus. • The altar dating from the 16th – 17th centuries. On leaving, admire the bell tower reaching 71 meters high.
5 Votive statues Among the numerous votive statues that can be found in StAffrique (around fifty) one of them is very well preserved and is worth admiring. It is located on the front of the former presbytery. According to legend, most of the statues are linked to a dreadful episode: in 1854, a cholera epidemic spread rapidly through St-Affrique. The inhabitants prayed to the Virgin Mary to help them get rid of the disease. Once the epidemic was eradicated, they praised Mary and had niches made in the walls to hold tiny votive statues of the virgin.
Ca rt a
vers Rodez (79 km)
Historic points Notre Dame de Miséricorde Church The present church, with its neogothic style, is the fifth Catholic Church built in Saint-Affrique. It was completed in 1905.
u en Av
e C a d ias P e yr
sc ra Ba
Open all year round July and August: every day from 9:30 to 18:30, Sundays and bank holidays from 11:00 to 18:00. September, October, April, May, June: Monday to Saturday from 9:30 to 12:15 and from 13:00 to 17:30 November to March: Monday to Friday from 9:30 to 12:15 and from 13:00 to 17:00
Because there are very few remains of the former battlements, you have to imagine how the old town might have looked at that time. Here are a few pointers: First, there are two towers housing the stairs leading to the battlement defence towers: the Tour du Théron and the Tour del Bastié. Second, a plaque commemorates the 1628 clashes between the Protestants of the city and the Catholic forces led by the Prince of Condé and Richelieu. Third, observe the boulevards that surround the town center (boulevards of the Republic, Charles de Gaulle and Victor Hugo). Try to replace them in your mind with three ditches, add the river Sorgues and here you have an effective defense barrier. Finally, look at the three streets (rue Gambetta, de la République and Louis Blanc) which link the boulevards to the old town central square (currently Town Hall square). The entrance to each street corresponds to the gates of the former battlements.
rH ug o
Ambassador of the Causses and the Cevennes, we promise to make you discover the cultural landscapes in the Mediterranean agropastoralism of the Causses and the Cevennes as World Heritage of Humanity.
Saint-Affrique was once a stronghold
TOURIST OFFICE WELCOME GUIDE
AN OUTSTANDING PICTURESQUE LANDSCAPE THAT INSPIRES YOU TO ESCAPE
Interesting anecdote: during the French Revolution, the town had its name changed to “Montagne sur Sorgues”. The rule at this period was to get rid of religious sounding names.
This street adjoins the Pont Vieux. Its name originates from the Occitan “otra lo pon” but also from the Latin “trans pontem”, both meaning “beyond the bridge”. This street is part of one of the first extensions of the old city district now called Traupont.
Bo ule va rd Vic to
Cover picture : Greg Alric Credit for inside pictures : Delphine Atché, Patrice Thébault, Mairie St-Affrique, Communauté de Communes du Saint-Affricain, Greg Alric, David Potron Design/production : Groupe Burlat Rodez - 08/2016 - ISO 14001 Printing : Imprimerie Nouvelle – 10 000 copies Texts : Katia Fersing, Delphine Atché. Production : Tourist Office of the Pays e Roquefort et du Saint -Affricain Hiking maps: Maps by the Parc Naturel Regional des Grands Causse – Extract from scan files 25 ©IGN2016 Extracts from the map of the Parc Naturel Regional des Grands Causses: Cartography : ©TERRACARTA 2010 terracarta@ terracarta.fr Heritage and tourism data: Parc naturel régional des Grands Causses. Altimetry data: ASTER GDEM® ©NASA and ©METI of Japan, Hydrography: BD CARTHAGE® - ©SIE AEAG, Administrative boundaries: BD CARTO® - ©IGN 2010.
Why is Saint-Affrique written with a double f? During the fifth century catholic communities were continually harassed by Visigoths and were banned from churches. As a result Africanus, who was a catholic bishop, was forced to leave Comminges. According to the legend, he finished his exile in a hamlet near to the river Sorgues. He spread the good news to the locals and performed numerous miracles (see the church stained glass windows). His name may have originated from the language spoken by the Visigoths using the root of Affric or Effric which means “mighty and dreadful”. Although no one can tell when exactly Saint-Affrique was first used to name the town, an official text mentions it in 942.
Unguided visit Free entry
All year round, Monday to Friday, from 8.30 to 11.30 & from 13.30 to 17.30(1) (closing time is 17.00 on Friday) (1) time of the last guided tour / possible change of the time schedules. Booking is essential for groups (20 persons minimum). Don’t forget to bring warm clothes, temperatures are rather cool inside the caves. Dogs not allowed.
ROQUEFORT MAP LEGEND Numbers corresponding to visits and sale’s outlets
(vertical rocky monoliths).
Rocher St-Pierre: remains of the 11th century chapel and viewpoint indicator
Quilles des Baragnaudes
More to be seen in Roquefort Peyre Fioc Dolmen Nicolaï Greshny’s frescos: located in the Town Hall and illustrating the Roquefort legend
Open all year round, on all days, from 10.00 to 18.00
October to March: from 9.30 to 12.30 & from 13.30 to 17.30 April/May/June/September: from 9.30 to 18.30 July/August: from 9.30 to 19.30
November to March: from 9.30 to 12.00 & from 13.30 to 16.30 April/May/June/September/October: from 9.30 to 18.00 July/August: from 9.30 to 18.30 July/August: open 7 days a week, from 9.30 to 12.30 & from 13.30 to 18.00
GROCERY Avenue de Lauras Tel. 05 65 42 88 61 LES FROMAGERIES OCCITANES Out of map, situated in Lauras, 3 km from Roquefort Tel. 05 65 59 90 34 www.les-fromageries-occitanes.fr VERNIÈRES FRÈRES Out of map, situated in Lauras, towards St-Rome de Tarn ZA de Lauras, route de Tiergues Tel. 05 65 59 90 23 www.roquefort-vernieres.fr
Open Monday to Friday from 8.00 to 12.00 & from 14.00 to 17.00
Open Monday to Friday, from 8.15 to 17.30 (16.30 on Friday)
A LAND of character
FOR A GOOD IMMERSION in History, hike!
South of the Massif Central, the Pays de Roquefort et du St-Affricain includes 10 towns in the heart of the Parc Naturel Regional des Grands Causses. A mosaic of landscapes under a Mediterranean, Oceanic and Continental influence has made its natural wealth, heritage, fauna, flora and culture. This humanised landscape has been shaped for centuries by farming practices and sheep farming, which has earned a part of our territory, including Roquefort - Great Site Midi-Pyrenees -, the inscription on the World Heritage of UNESCO under “changing and living cultural Landscapes of the Mediterranean agro-pastoralism.“
The varied landscapes, the richness of our back roads and our paths, often single-track, meet all the hiking practices: pedestrian, equestrian, road cycling or mountain bike; and all the levels, from a family outing to a sporty and technical day out. Nature and heritage discovery will await you close to the Great Excursion paths (GR71 and GR62). For walkers, joggers, strollers, people with reduced mobility, the Voie Verte linking Vabres Abbey, Saint-Affrique and Saint Jean d’Alcapiès over 11 km is tailored to your needs.
HIKING PLEASURES To give you an overview, here we suggest two hiking trails from Roquefort and from St-Affrique
Learn more with maps, it provides keys to understand our territory
The ladders trail from Roquefort
Florac Mont Aigoual GR 7Vigan Le Valleraugue
Le Vigan, Nîmes
4 52E D1 GR 74
pllatet ea ua ud
D 15 3
Bois de la Ramasse
142 ed le’ Eslc’ Eans dc oa rngu deo
rb Farm tour
s Lime Les 54 D
Natura 2000 zone
Industrial tourism leather and gloves
St-Étiennede Gourgas D
La Vacquerie et St-Martinde-Castries D9
9 D 16
Bois de Melac
Soubès Viaduct4 of Millau
nnaa t tu D 622
Remarkable nature trail Le R
Col du Bouissou 928 m
40 D 1 Bois de Grisayrol
Great Site of Midi-Pyrénnées
Roquefort caves visit
Les Bains d'Avène
Castle open to visitors
e G ded
Bois de Sahuzet
e sssse au
Gi rou religious buildings ss Senaux Listed
5 Orientation table 8E 13
Castle of the Route of the Lords D 89
9 D8 St-Pierrede-Combejac
GR 71 A
Farm tour / park
Col du Perthus 785 m
Lavogne (water reservoir)
e D 151
urbi D 273
urd o u
Le T ar n
Col de l’Homme Mort 670 m D1 38
769 m Theme St-Pierre-Houses and Theme Parks
La m alo 8
R. d e
Theme Houses of the Park
a s dell rrggee Goo
Pas de l'Escalette
u ado Le D
Le Cros 2
c z a ar
Gu Plateau et corniches du
u il h a
Cauvillages built on the banks of the Sorgues, popular with 2 ssssee ded Bela (Cat I) fishermen B ld aan Versols: nfortified village of the 12th century, the historical s entrance porch of the castrum was recently restored. The 7 Blandas two castlesGR of the village are listed as historical monuments but you can only visit Versols’ (visits in summer), beautiful houses with mullioned windows and porches. Navacelles Lapeyre: 3 churches and fortifications, remarkable Gothic bridge, tower and tympanum of the church of Saint-Caprais (MH) and tomb of Medora Leigh (in the cemetery), old mill, equestrian center. Causse de Nissac: dolmens, lavogne (water reservoir). Hermilix: Farm tour (June 15 to September 15), lavogne, St-Mauricefountain, dolmen, boxwoods. de-Navacelles Le Cayla: Romanesque chapel in the slate roof. Cinzelle and Lapeyre: hydroelectric plant, channels.
is la V
Roc de Louradou
D 94 L’ Oulas
812 m eded Ce aC map m estp rese
ue nq re Vi la
ec t Le ut -r
bière la Lou
5 14 D
D 98 6
Go rg e
av de s Butte s t émo ins
Alzon Col de la Barrières 804 m Homs D 270
d s re
D 243 4
Devèzes de Lapanouse et du Viala-du-Pas-de-Jaux
E D 19
D 306 8 12 D
6 17 D
Mare du Lavagnol
d e sd
Col de Faubel 1285 m
Marked by the influence of an abbey and then a bishopric, D 151 certainly behind its gardening vocation (“Rendez-vous Jardinier“ on May 8th). GR60 Col du Dourbies To see in the village: Beautiful houses built in the eighteenth Minier 1254 m century (House of the Aldermen), Benedictine abbey of the eleventh century converted into an Episcopal Palace, Col de Cathedral housing an organ case (listed), Le Pont Neuf l’Homme Mort 1300 m and Le Pont Vieux (1270), the flour mill along the Dourdou. GR 71 a g n s i Le Pic St-GuiralVisigoth ingLa tombs. 1386 m u d uL dRayssac: e fifteenth century church, red sandstone houses. gnne taag Saumecourte: standing stones. oon Mars MLe Villaret Ségonzac: front of the church of the nineteenth century, antique wine press. Aumessas Arrigas Peyralbe: interpretation table. Salmanac: Christmas illuminations.
sd rg e CausseGo Bégon
Le Suquet 1340 m
arn uT ée d Vall
nne teul s
D 10 0
At the foot of the Cirque de Tournemire and the Larzac plateau, it grew around the railway activity. To see in the village: House of the Plesiosaur, Cirque de Tournemire and Boutinenque: hiking, the Devil’s Bridge. Croix de Crépounac: beautiful panorama.
52 3 D
2 D 90
D La Gaycre
b ie o ur la D
Col de la Sereyrède 1299 m
Vabres-l’Abbaye (E3) D 710
ve z e l u Tré
Camprieu Le Trévezel 7 15 D eur Le Bonh
At the crossroads of various territories: Larzac, the avantcausses, the Cernon Valley. To see in the village: castle of the twelfth century, church with fresco of the nineteenth century by Nicolai Greschny. Discovery Hiking in southern Aveyron with Sud-Rando and St-Cirgue outdoor activities with Explo Nature. Around the village: Dolmen of the Laumière wood, low walls, cazelles (dry stones shelter), lavognes (water reservoir). Ambialet Hillock witness of Sargels: prehistoric cave and site (hiking). Courris D 172 Mélac: Castle (visits and concerts in the summer) Montclarat: perched hamlet, church, remains of a castle, source. Bussac: Angora goats breeding (mohair in Aveyron).
Camp militaire du Larzac
Le Lé v
561 m Albignac
88 7 58 D
88 8 D6
0 57 D D 507
7 25 D
Roc du Bartas
te La Bou
Gorg e s de la D 5 o
Rajal del Gorp
Col de Perjuret 1031 m
Grotte de Dargilan
Cau s s e
R a s p e s d u Ta r n
Marking: yellow Hures
Aven Armand, écomusée du PNC
Go rg es de la J o nt e
Mont Gargo 1247 m
Change in altitude: 440 m Nivoliers
al l d de se sC éCvée vn en ne ns e s at ti ioon na c nna
Distance: 14 km
1000 m Capluc 904 m
Regional Nature Park of the Grands Causses
ss sse e
enqu La Dur
Length: D 16 4 hrs
Start: Place Painlevé in Saint-Affrique (in the direction of Rodez) 959 m
6 From here, follow the route you took back to your starting point.
es uss -ca t an
Hourtous Hourtous 921 m
b ie ur
Lac de Villefranchede-Panat
6 D 66
Le Cone 9 D6
Pyramide de Lagast
Moulins de Roupeyrac, Maiuson natale de F. Fabié
St-François 937 m
du L évéz tord
929 m Forêt du Lagast
Le Gif fou
D 53 Located on the avant-causses that make the transition between the valley of the Sorgues and the Grands Causses cliffs. To see in the village: Alcapia (home of renewables energies), the Alcapiès volcano. Castel-Crémat: fortified farmhouse renovated and transformed into exceptional lodgings; nearby, the dolmen of Gaoudaret. Caussanuejouls: remarkable stone lavogne (water reservoir). Mas de la Moulinerie and Mas d’Alzac: caussenard-style constructions.
Musée du Charroi rural
Viaduc du Viaur
Lac de Pareloup Ventajou
Lac de la Gourde
Puech d’Alluech 1151 m
Rieisseto the D 50. The walk is a 3 Take the left track that runs in the valley parallel Vignes shady path alongside the ravine andLes the Nougayrolles brook. Leave the farm Saint-RomeRecoulesde-L’Hom trail to your right that ascends de-Dolantowards the crest and the path to your left which leads towards Crassous. After the sheepfold the path gets wider and reaches a junction. 1069 m
5 When you pass the last houses and reach the calvary cross, take the path opposite which is lined with low walls and hedges. Follow a long “bouissière” Le (a path lined with box trees) which ends at the crest of the hill where you can Ta Prunets enjoyrna nice view over Saint-Affrique and the Caylus rock. Carry on along the crest through pasture lands and groves, then go through a cedar plantation, Montbrun and eventually walk down towards the Caylus rock passing a cliff to your right.
Le vieux logis
Cauperlac m the stone 861 pathway that runs around the base of 2 Take the right turn onto de-Lévéjac 900 m Les Bâteliers Massegros 439 m Caylus rock. Take the Le path towards the NE which slopes gently upwards and Mas-SaintChély La Malène 07 9 D overlooks the D 993 which is to your right. Roc des Le Pas Roc de Roc de Souci Souci
Lac de Bage
Abbaye de Bonnecombe
Gaillac 4 d’Aveyron
Le Couderc the town where of the castle today). Longvialathe castle once stood (nothing remains 1008 m
Pont de Salars
Laval-du-Tarn 1 Start from the Painlevé square and follow the D 993 for 100 m, then take the n left turn under the porch and follow the stone pathway. Carry on along the ar road Trémolet Baraques on the right hand side, up to dethe start of the bend, then walk straight on along D 43 the path in frontLeofRecoux you and then follow a larger track that takes you back onto St-Chelydu-Tarn the road. rn SaintTa
Lac de Pontde-Salars
Baraques de Lutran
Chabio path 4 Take theMont 1106 m that slopes up through woodland and ends at a plateau, nearby the Tiergues Dolmen. Walk on the right side of the D 250 alongside a field, and then carry on along a sheep path until you reach the village of Tiergues. Take Ferme des Boissetsroad to the right along the graveyard and then walk through the village. the
u a Discover two archaeological remains popular with the Saint-Affrican hikers: The C Tiergues dolmen a listed historical monument and the Caylus rock overlooking A
Flavin D 62
St-Saturnin The Tiergues 7Dolmen Trailss from Saint-Affrique 5
D 911 60
D 88 D 546
Rodez 518 m
Forêt des Palanges
D 994 D
er er r r t e ev te
Les Fons GR
t a lt a l om om eC C sssse
allée de l'Avey ron et des a bord s du Cau sse Montrozier D Com 22 0 tal ron y e v L’A
Aéroport de Rodez
La Farguette Find all our trails, as well as those around, L’Av Mayran eyro on the Rando du Parc Natural Régional des Grands Causses n portal: http://rando.parc-grands-causses.fr or download the app: rando grands causses
la haute v
Vieux arbres de
llée du 965 m 3 Lot D 509
Puech du Merle 1140 m
Medieval village of red sandstone built on the left bank of the Dourdou around its castle and marked by the presence of the bishops of Vabres. To see in the village: fourteenth century Episcopal Castle and Museum of Archery (visits all year), bread oven, calade (limestone-paved sloping street), laundry, Place of Consuls and its house with a tower. On the same bank, group of 4 standing stones to Ardaliès. On the right bank, opposite the old town, Chapel of Notre Dame de Grâces, starting point of the tunnels road. Les Armayrols: Romanesque church, small medieval justice court h ouse. Les Armayrols : Romanesque church,small medieval justice court house.
A u bb rraac c va
Former headquarters of the Hospitallers Knights founded in the twelfth century and fortified in the fifteenth century. Former economic activity around the fabric (weavers, draper mill...) To see in the village: remarkable Gothic bridge, fountain, gate and tower with Gothic openings. Mascourbe: dependency of the headquarters, fortified farmhouse, group of 4 dolmens, shepherd tower, boxwoods. Saint-Caprazy: dependency of the headquarters, Romanesque and Gothic architecture.
01 300 9Mer
I TA L I E
6 D 62
E S PA G N E
As the vast majority of municipalities of southern Aveyron, the main economic resource is milk production with Lacaune ewes to make Roquefort cheese. Agro pastoralism signs are omnipresent.
A LAND OF ESCAPISM… … our villages’ little secrets
A red-stone village perched on a rocky outcrop and crossed by the Dourdou. Le Viala du Dourdou: remains of the castle, Saint-Jean‑Baptiste church (with a bell from the seventeenth century - MH). Locality of Calmels: Chapel of Notre-Dame de Calmels Mas Capelier: birthplace of Father Hermet (discoverer of the standing stones), standing stone. Les Maurels: standing stone.
0 400 800
R O YA U M E - U N I
Causses du Larzac, avant-causses, Rougiers and wooded hills, are interspersed with clear or secret valleys. Here, the villages make one with the soil: on the Rougiers side, the red sandstone lights up the houses that blend into the landscape, on the limestone plateaus side, there are caussenardstyle villages built of limestone, lauze roofs here and there, and dry stone constructions. This variety of colorful scenery is the cradle of an ancient settlement. Archaeological excavations show the presence of the man from the Paleolithic. Even then, he raised sheep and manufactured cheese in close relationship with its environment. The shepherd is the author of these little useful constructions: lavognes (water reservoirs), cazelles (dry stone shelters), jasses (sheep shelters), and landscaping: dry stone walls, clapas (a pile of stones resulting from the stone removal of a field), drailhes (transhumance trails), buissières (boxwood plantations), pastures... a territory witness of a living agro pastoral economy. The man also feeds on rites and cultures that have left traces in our environment, through the dolmens and standing stones erected there around 5,000 years ago. Dolmens are mostly found on the Causses and the avantcausses, as to standing stones, they are nestled along the Dourdou valley. They are carved or etched into the sandstone, bear a collar or harness, and stand their faces without mouths, keeping the secret of their origins. To absorb the history and experience moments of surprising discoveries, come to walk our many hiking trails. Most of them borrow the footsteps of our ancestors that have spread their expertise still visible today... These prints remind us of the important presence of waterways, all good for fishing in category I or II.
IN THE FOOTSTEPS OF THE HUMAN RACE standing stone, dolmen, agro pastoralism
Decazeville, Figeac, Conques
For outings in all serenity, topo guides and hiking sheets are on sale at the Tourist Office.
2. Causses et Cévennes www.causses-et-cevennes.fr
1. Parc naturel régional des Grands Causses www.parc-grands-causses
The Combalou plateau was once used for grazing ewes from the Mas de Roquefort farm. They spent most of the year getting to the plateau via a difficult 5-km path. Every day, a farmhand brought the shepherd his meal, and took a shortcut through the scree, along the cliff, where there were two ladders. That is where the pathway gets its name from. 1 Opposite the Tourist Office car park, cross the road by the bus shelter and go up the path that runs along the cemetery. On the tarmac road, turn right then left, following the hairpin bend (you will pass the premises of “Le D Vieux Berger” on the right). 300 m later, take the left fork, until you get to a 42 house and a fountain (drinking water). Start: Roquefort Tourist Office car park 2 Take the small path up to theN1075Clermont-Ferrand, right (on the left Pariswhen coming from Mende, Le Puy, Lyon Length: 2 ½ hrs Tournemire) towards the Combalou plateau. The scree is on the right. Turn Barjac Trélans D108 924 m left and follow the path up to the Aucelos (birds) spring. Continue straight on Distance: 6 km 5 A 7 2 ladders. to the Combalou plateau via the GR 88 D Change in altitude: 250 m 6 St-Germain Balsièges On the plateau,-du-Teil pass between the Jasse du Combalou 616 m sheep pen and the Les Salelles Marking: “red ladder on a white background“ m plateau. Walk along the cliff and take the path D1 Le Lo edge of1021the through the pine t 06 Chanac Auxillac forest, following the signs, then begin to descend towards the Les Aiguières pass. Chardonnet
3 Head towards Roquefort and continue straight on to the “Sotch de Balhols“ (large fault) and walk down to the Saint-Pierre chapel (climb the stairs on the left to get back to the viewpoint indicator). Then go down the stairs. Head down on your left via Rue de la Créance to the Place des Baragnaudes. Take the Rue des Baragnaudes opposite, following the signs to the Quilles des Baragnaudes. Pass in front of the Quilles, walk along the cliff and go down the steps. 4 At the bottom of the steps, turn right and immediately left to pass under a porch and get to the Avenue de Lauras. That will take you to the Tourist Office, your starting point.