Human Development and Family Science - Major Map

Page 1

HUMAN DEVELOPMENT AND FAMILY SCIENCE CHILD AND FAMILY SERVICES OPTION The bachelor’s degree in Human Development and Family Science (HDFS) prepares graduates for careers serving the community in a variety of settings by helping families and individuals meet their full potential. It is also a good foundational degree for graduate study. This degree program is one of only two nationally accredited and approved Certified Family Life Education Programs in Oklahoma. The HDFS degree helps graduates attain valuable certification that boosts their career prospects. Students also can participate in research focused on enhancing individual, family, and community well-being through the Center for Family Resilience, Center for Research on Childhood Adversity, or Institute for Building Early Relationships. DEGREE REQUIREMENTS • 40 hours must be upper-division. • A 2.5 overall and major GPA are required for graduation. This includes all courses in College/Departmental, Professional Track and Major Requirements. • Transfer Admission Requirements: 2.0 GPA for less than 31 hours; 2.25 for 31-45 hours; 2.5 GPA for more than 45 hours. • At least: 60 hours at a four-year institution; 30 hours completed at OSU; 15 of the final 30 or 50% of the upper-division hours in the major field completed at OSU. Limit of: one-half of major course requirements as transfer work; one-fourth of hours earned by correspondence; eight transfer correspondence hours.

HOW MUCH WILL IT COST? OSU is one of the best values in the Big 12 and has lower tuition and fees than many Tulsa-area schools and online-only institutions. Students taking 15 credit hours (full time) will pay approximately $5,237.25 per semester in tuition and fees and an estimated $630 for books and supplies. (Estimates based on 2017-2018 tuition and fee charges. Books and supplies will vary based on classes taken each semester.) OSU-Tulsa offers financial aid, scholarships and tuition waivers, with several dedicated specifically to transfer students. Those available to HDFS majors include: • OSU-Tulsa Transfer Tuition Waiver Scholarship • Regents Distinguished Transfer-Waiver Scholarship • Darlene Ruth Douglas Scholarship Contact the OSU-Tulsa Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid at 918-594-8273 or to learn more.


TRANSFER MAP COURSES INCLUDE • Infant and Child Development • Adolescent Development in Family Contexts • Family Risk and Resilience • Family Life Education • Family Dynamics • Policy, Law and Advocacy • Research Methods • Adulthood and Aging • The Family: A World Perspective Evening, hybrid and online courses make it easy for students to pursue a degree while working.

HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE? Use this chart below to see how long it will take you to complete your bachelor’s degree at OSU-Tulsa if you transfer with 60 credit hours from your two-year institution. If you transfer with fewer than 60 credit hours, the number of semesters will increase accordingly. CREDIT HOURS/SEMESTER










You can increase the credit hours you take each semester by taking classes online or in a hybrid format, where classes meet one or two times in person and the rest of the time online. YOUR MAP. YOUR DEGREE. YOUR CAREER.

Your Map to Success

Steps to take on your way to earning your OSU degree in Tulsa: FRESHMAN YEAR @ TWO-YEAR SCHOOL Meet with your academic advisor. Meet with an OSU-Tulsa academic counselor. OSU-Tulsa has representatives on TCC campuses regularly and academic counselors can meet by appointment. Follow OSU-Tulsa on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to keep up on events and activities. Facebook “f ” Logo

CMYK / .eps

Facebook “f ” Logo

CMYK / .eps

@osutulsa @osutulsa @okstatetulsa

SOPHOMORE YEAR @ TWO-YEAR SCHOOL Complete admissions application to OSU. Meet with your academic advisor. Meet with an OSU-Tulsa academic counselor to discuss how the credits you’re taking will transfer. Connect with HDFS faculty at OSU-Tulsa to learn more about the program and introduce yourself. Your OSU-Tulsa academic counselor can help with this. Submit your FAFSA with school code 003170 along with your OSU application to be considered for scholarships and financial aid. Attend Transfer Day in the spring or fall to finalize your transfer to OSU-Tulsa.

JUNIOR YEAR @ OSU-TULSA Meet with your OSU-Tulsa academic counselor to choose your classes.

Meet with your OSU-Tulsa academic counselor to make sure you’re on track to graduate.

Network with your peers and build experience for your resume by joining a student organization.

Complete graduation application prior to the beginning of your final semester.

Consider adding a minor to gain additional skills or pursue your unique interests.

Volunteer or complete an internship to gain valuable experience in your field.

Polish your research skills by attending workshops at the OSU-Tulsa Library.

Consider participating in research with faculty.

Research graduate degree and certificate options. Connect with OSU-Tulsa Career Services to explore internship opportunities and discuss your career goals.

Transfer admission requirements: 2.00 GPA for 60+ hours; 2.25 GPA for 24-59 hours; 2.25 GPA plus high school admissions requirements for 7-23 hours.



• Social Workers • Social and Community Service Managers • Marriage and Family Therapists • Counselors • Education Administrators

• Health/Human Services • Developmental Clinics • Community Education/Service Agencies • Private/Corporate Child Care Programs • Head Start • Intervention Programs

Some of these careers may require extra training or education.


Attend Career Services workshops for job searching, resumes and interviews, then attend the OSU-Tulsa Career Fair. Apply to jobs or graduate programs. Walk in OSU-Tulsa’s Graduation Ceremony.

• Juvenile or Adult Probation and Parole • Tribal & Government Agencies • Parent, Family or Advocacy Centers

SALARY POTENTIAL In 2015, Human Development and Family Science graduates reported an average salary of $33,000 per year, with high salary of $51,000 per year. Many HDFS graduates go on to earn master’s or doctoral degrees, which can lead to higher salaries. -

GRADUATE STUDY Many HDFS majors continue their education by pursuing a master’s or doctoral degree or graduate certificate. A graduate degree is often required for licensure in social work and counseling. Related graduate programs available at OSU-Tulsa include: • Counseling (master’s) • Human Development and Family Science (master’s)

• Human Sciences (doctoral) • Infant Mental Health (graduate certificate)


OSU-TULSA PROSPECTIVE STUDENT SERVICES 918-594-8355 | | Interested in pursuing this program at OSU in Stillwater? We can put you in touch with a transfer admissions counselor.

CONNECT WITH US OSU-Tulsa does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. This includes, but is not limited to admissions, employment, financial aid and educational services. This publication, printed by Allegra Print and Imaging, Co., is issued by OSU-Tulsa Marketing and Communications Services. 3,000 copies have been prepared and distributed at a cost of $543.80. Copies have been deposited with the Publications Clearinghouse of the Oklahoma Department of Libraries. 12/17