Page 1


Owen Purvis

Design Portfolio

A Product Designer focusing on bringing beauty and emotional connection into the home through thoughtful design. I draw on my surroundings for inspiration, and on the natural world for energy.

Currently continuing my education at Brunel University London, I am developing my skills in multiple areas. This portfolio shows some of my past work, and should give you an idea of how I think.


My aims for this term-long University project: Minimal environmental impact A light capable of task and ambient lighting Create emotional connection through interaction

METRIA -

Design a luminaire for the home


Moodboards

A sample of images from four moodboards used for inspiration. Left to right: Natural Forms, Cubism and Orphism, Modernist Architecture, and Minimalist Products.


Ideation


Concept Development

The final concept


Prototyping & Testing


The Final Prototype

Dual-Functionality

Thermal Management

What I Learnt

A ‘Reflector Disc’ attaches magnetically to the top and bottom of Metria’s shade. When it is stored at the top, Metria functions as a task luminaire, emitting a low-glare light of the correct intensity for reading and drawing. When the Reflector Disc is moved to the bottom of the shade, Metria becomes an ambient luminaire - emitting a soft, warm glow.

A heat sink is positioned at the rear of the LED module, held in place using two aluminium discs. This helps with dispersing the heat generated by the module, without adding too much weight. Whilst this would not be an issue using standard LED bulbs, this presented an interesting challenge.

Aesthetics should always come second. I focused more on the look and feel of this product, rather than spending more time on its functionality. Simplicity is everything. The final prototype used too many components and could be simplified. Overall I am very happy with the outcome of this project, but am aware that further development would be required before it could be manufactured.


Photography -

A sample of my 35mm film work


My aims for this term-long University project set by Bosch: Design a tool to replace secateurs Limit development of repetitive strain injuries Make pruning more efficient for professional gardeners

AutoPrune -

Design an electro-mechanical garden tool


Ideation


Concept Development


Final Concept


Final Model

End Product

What I Learnt

The resultant tool, ‘AutoPrune’, utilises a spinning disc blade, which is easily replaced thanks to the axle design. With a thumb trigger and a finger trigger, the tool will not activate unless required. For safety, the branches are locked against the blade using metal gripping teeth, preventing the tool from kicking back. This tool would utilise the same 10.8V battery pack as seen in other wireless Bosch garden tools, and could be charged quickly and easily without the need for a removable battery.

This project was challenging for me, as I have not designed an electro-mechanical tool before. I found the use of CAD particularly helpful in developing the mechanical element, allowing me to design an arrangement that fit inside the tool body. I am not certain as to whether this tool would fully eliminate any chance of RSI, however I believe that it would cause fewer issues than Secateurs for a professional gardener. If I were to approach this project again, I would like to spend more time on researching the human form and how to design with a complete focus on ergonomics.


CAD -

A sample of my computer aided design work


Photoview 360


Keyshot


My aims for this project: Consult with a small group of clients to produce a sustainably focused range of Longboards, with aligned aesthetics and graphics. Each Longboard will require different functionality, and should be suited to the needs of the relevant client.

Bespoke Longboards


The Finished Products

The Boards

Materials

Manufacturing

Each Longboard deck was designed and manufactured specifically for individual clients who were interested in specific disciplines of Longboarding:

The decks were constructed using responsibly sourced and application appropriate materials, and the structure was based on existing products and research into the processes involved. The downhill board was made using a ply of maple, and the others used a ply of maple and bamboo. The bamboo gave the decks flexibility whilst keeping the weight down, and made them more durable due to its hard and tough nature. The plys were glued using a non-toxic, waterproof wood glue.

Skateboard decks are formed using a press, but for this project a vacuum bag was put to the task. This made the process slightly more complex and prone to flaws, such as ply seperation, however was the only option at the time. The plys were coated with glue, secured to a form using ratchet straps (to give the decks a concave), and placed in a vacuum bag for 24 hours. Each shape was then cut and sanded by hand. The boards were then stained, painted, and sealed. Laser cut grip tape was applied for the finishing touch, designed specifically for each client. The biggest challenge encountered was forming the tails of freestyle board, as they also had an upwards curve.

Left - the downhill board, for reaching high speeds whilst maintaining stability.

Middle - the cruising board, for a comfortable and easy ride.

Right - the freestyle board, for a swift ride and performing tricks.

Owen Purvis Design Portfolio  

An insight into my past work, and how I think.

Owen Purvis Design Portfolio  

An insight into my past work, and how I think.

Advertisement