Mount Annan OAKBANK
1 8 7 O N K A PA R I N G A VA L L E Y R O A D
Mount Annan OAKBANK
1 8 7 O N K A PA R I N G A VA L L E Y R O A D 15.95 HA – 39.4 ACRES
A property with an extraordinary history now offering a compelling future. The current vendors have combined their experience and skills in creating a wonderful, very complete lifestyle property with one of Oakbank’s earliest stone homesteads. Supplying modern architectural style that skilfully and intelligently link the past, the present and an enhanced future. The vendors are pleased and proud of the fact that they have preserved the history and heritage of one of South Australia’s earliest homesteads in Oakbank. The original homestead has been totally rebuilt, offering new roof, new wiring, new plumbing, and flooring. Some of the original roof shingles have been preserved under the new iron. The original windows have been rebuilt, as have the original multi-pane double swing doors, fireplaces and doors, have all been restored. There is also under floor heating, except where two stone rooms feature the original hardwood flooring. The spacious lounge entry features timeless ornate fire surround, Victorian cast iron fire grate and vaulted matchboard ceilings. This room (circa 1920) was originally used as a dance hall to raise funds for the Oakbank Soldiers’ Memorial Hall. Further on from the formal lounge, the well worn, timber in brick steps lead to the dry cellar, complete with original fireplace, brick floor and exposed timber beams. Above is the refurbished study which enjoys great views across the land. Two of the original rooms have now been opened up to provide a guests’ wing of bedroom and living, with back-to-back fireplaces. Notably there are now ceiling fans and LED down lights virtually throughout the whole homestead. Three bedrooms are linked to the teenager’s lounge, this also has an ornate timber surround on the iron Victorian grate fireplace. One-bedroom provides a five door robe with built-in shelving, drawers and hanging space. The other double sized room includes outside access and the original fireplace with cedar timber fire surround and two door storage cupboards. The fourth bedroom on the eastern wing is currently used as a children’s study. The main bathroom is tiled to the ceiling, featuring wall mounted mirror, double shower alcove, in built bath, toilet and double vanity. The modern area offers an expanse of attractive, polished concrete floors with under floor heating. A huge open window living space embraces the wide open rural views and the meandering Onkaparinga River. Also double glazing, double installation and industrial grade aluminium are utilised in the building throughout. The open plan kitchen is well appointed with a huge Caesar stone central bench, (all bench tops are Caesar stone) two stainless steel Siemens dishwashers, double sink, Smeg induction hotplates, and Smeg oven. The significant cupboard and drawer space is further complimented by a large walk in pantry. There is also a raised Red Gum display area.
The master bedroom is once again very spacious with ten door wide clothes storage. The ensuite is also tiled to the ceiling, together with free standing bath, large shower alcove, double vanity and wall mounted mirror. The laundry is of extremely generous proportions with plentyof bench top space, inbuilt trough and coat storage. The guest toilet and vanity completes this functional space. This area links to the three car undercover garage with large lockable store area,which houses the controls of the electrical board and under floor heating. There are two Solar 270 litre hot water systems, situated in the eastern and western wings of the Homestead. The entertainment deck with descending stairs to the grounds features an undercover outside kitchen with sink facilities. The grounds are fully fenced and watered by fixed above ground sprinklers. The backup 5000 gallon tank with London fitting and fire fighting pump is also connected to a mains pressure pump which drives the sprinkler system. The tank can be filled from the bore and from excess rainwater from the homestead roof. The bore is also interconnected with the lake. A dedicated vegetable patch and the fully enclosed fowl run are along the eastern perimeter boundary. There are also two interconnected PVC rainwater tanks with 60,000 litres of storage each. The property has been connected to sewer and mains water. There is also a new three-phase underground power connection to the barn and the homestead, all of the electrical power in the barn and the homestead is new. The former Dairy, now studio, has the original electrical wiring. The grounds are complimented by a Golden Elm, Oak, Walnut, Prunus, Silver Birch , Camellia and a Magnolia Tree. The stone section of the barn measures 11 metres x 6 metres plus a heavy timber and galvanised section 9 metres x 6 metres adjoining. Upstairs in this stone section is a 6 x 6 loft area and storage with a high gabled roof. This area was the original area for the stables and produce storage. On the western end of the northern side is the extended parking annex. There is an adjoining implement and feed storage shed plus a further adjoining 20â€™x20â€™ lean to shed (formerly a Blacksmiths area). Furthermore, an old timber double section garage measuring 6 metres x 6 metres. On the eastern side near the Main Road frontage is a 40 x 20 two-sided hay shed measuring 15' high at the front and 14' at the rear. There is also a very old timber frame storage shed next door - one section was originally used as a stable. The dairy building measures 40'x20', which currently has a cool room and engine room together with associated yarding. There is also a heavy timber, original calf shed, some of which has been hand azed. This features the original timber feed troughs and further evidence of timber roof shingles. The bore next to the dairy is quoted as tested at 8,000 gallons per hour with a salt content of approximately 1,600 ppm. The bore was put down in 1982 to the depth of 400 feet, the pump is set at 300 feet with a Grundfos pump, and the casing is down to about 250 feet and is now equipped for 3,500 gallons per hour output. The land is divided by the River Onkaparinga; approximately 15 acres on the southern side of the river and approximately 25 acres on the northern side. The land is undulating and there is also Government Road access in the northwest corner of the land onto Wicks Road. Power is also situated along the top boundary.
The Cock family arrived in 1838 from Leith, in Mid Lothian, Scotland. In 1840 Robert Cock, in partnership with William Fergusson, brought sections 4017 and 4021 of the Mount Barker Special Survey (Onkaparinga) from the South Australian Company. Robert Cock employed his cousins the Lambs family, the house that the Lambs built formed the nucleus of today’s Mount Annan farmhouse. The very first stone rooms were built in the early 1840’s and later additions were made in the 1860’s and the 1880’s. Thomas Edwards came out from Shropshire in 1850 on the ship Lord Ashbourne and bought the Mount Annan property (then 200 acres) in 1852 from Robert Cock. The stone barn was built in 1858. The then Onkaparinga Council Heritage Survey signed by G. Young, Director of SA Centre for Settlement Studies in March 1984, in summary wrote “it is the best remaining example of a substantial stone barn built in the district during the 1850’s”. Bay trees, Lilacs, Gooseberries, Damson Plums and Walnut seeds brought from England were planted on the property. In 1866 there was a vineyard too. There is also an Oak, Golden Poplar and Willow trees. Furthermore there is a wonderful old River Red Gum estimated to be approximately 500 years of age, which Sir Hans Heysen studied as the subject of one of his paintings many years ago.
Today the Stone barn boasts brick flooring and full lighting, with stables and storage loft remaining in their original condition. The dairy building is now adaptable as a studio. To maintain the integrity of the building, stonemasons were employed for 16 weeks. Preventative damp course remedies were applied where applicable and all new stonewalls were rebuilt from recycled stone from the homestead’s western wing.
Mount Annan is just 30 minutes from Adelaide, 45 minutes from the International Airport and Adelaide schooling is easily accessed from both private and government bus services. Today a property offering positively diverse lifestyle pursuits. With the past and present indelibly linked. Indeed the future is now secure.
Buyer please note: Although every care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of the details in this brochure, they cannot be guaranteed. Accordingly all interested parties should make their own enquiries to verify the information provided. If you have a property to sell and would like an appraisal of its current market value and/or would like to discuss methods of changing over from one property to another, please call Chris Weston 0n (08) 8388 4002 or 0419 816 302 â€“ RLA173455
213A Onkaparinga Valley Road OAKBANK SA 5243 Telephone: 08 8388 4002 Fax: 08 8388 4373 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org www.rh.com.au/oakbank
m. 0419 816 302
m. 0418 807 231
Licensed Agents â€“ RLA 173455 rh.com.au/oakbank