BARCELONA MONUMENTAL GUIDE

Page 1


18

Church of Sant Maria del Pi Iglesia de Santa Maria del Pi This church has a single nave covered by rib vaulting and small side chapels. Its dimensions–179 feet long by 53 feet wide by 90 feet high–illustrate the southern Gothic form of religious architecture, which does not strive for verticality or a monumental scale. The seven sections of rib vaulting are supported by sturdy side buttresses, the bases of which are used to mark out the side chapels. The main façade is distinguished by its austerity, as its only openings are a large rose window and a door whose decoration backs against the wall without attempting to hide the stretch of wall that extends with barely an interruption. Two small moldings run along the whole façade: the lower one–where the decoration on the door ends–marks the line covering the side chapels, while the upper one–framed by the upper third of the rose window–traces the roofs of the central nave. This device emphasizes the horizontality and is the only decorative element in this building, whose personality is expressed via the architectural mass. Its interior is the prototype of Catalan Gothic architecture.

El edificio es un iglesia de una única nave cubierta con bóvedas de crucería y pequeñas capillas laterales. Sus dimensiones (54,28 m de largo por 16,23 m de ancho y 27,30 m de alto) es un buen ejemplo de la arquitectura religiosa del gótico meridional, que no busca la verticalidad y posee proporciones aprehensibles. Los siete tramos de las bóvedas de crucería se sustentan en poderosos contrafuertes laterales, que se aprovechan de su base para delimitar las capillas laterales. La fachada principal con un gran rosetón y una puerta como únicas aberturas se caracteriza por su austeridad. La decoración de la puerta, adosada al muro, no oculta el paño de pared ciego que cubre casi toda la superficie. Dos pequeñas molduras recorren toda la fachada: la inferior –donde acaba la decoración de la puerta– marca la línea de cobertura de las capillas laterales, mientras que la superior –enmarcada en el tercio superior del rosetón– delimita la línea de cubiertas de la nave central. Este recurso acentúa la horizontalidad y es el único elemento decorativo de esta construcción, cuya masa arquitectónica envuelve de personalidad al edificio. Su interior es el prototipo de arquitectura gótica catalana.

Architect_Arquitectos: Francesc Basset (1443) and Guillem Abiell (1415) Location_Localización: Plaça del Pi, s/n. Date_Fecha: 1322-1508

See map 1 Ver mapa 1



20

Pedralbes Monastery Monasterio de Pedralbes This historical-artistic complex has preserved the characteristics of an isolated monastery, even though it has lost some of its defining elements, such as the boundary wall that protected all the buildings. The monastery’s church is typical of southern Gothic buildings, with its sober lines, emphasis on horizontality at the expense of verticality and uninterrupted stretches of wall instead of openings. French Gothic design influenced the unitary spatial conception, as opposed to the separation of spaces by means of heights or interruptions to the main nave. This single-nave building adapts to the terrain, thereby introducing slight variations from the traditional structure of other churches. The main entrance is not placed at the end opposite the main altar but in one of the sides, alongside the large clock tower. This innovative configuration overlooks a square. Other interesting features of the monastery are the chapter house and the cloister, 150 ft long and three stories high (the first two from the 14th century), but most striking of all is its strictly rational basis of the organization.

Este conjunto histórico-artístico ha conservado las características de un monasterio aislado, pese a que parte de ellas ya no existen, como la muralla que protegía todas las edificaciones. La iglesia del monasterio está inscrita en las construcciones del gótico meridional: sobriedad de líneas, dominio de horizontalidad sobre verticalidad y paños ciegos en lugar de aberturas. Del gótico francés influyó la concepción espacial unitaria frente a la segregación de espacios mediante alturas o interrupciones de la nave principal. Este edificio de una sola nave presenta algunas adaptaciones al terreno que cambian en parte la estructura tradicional de otras iglesias. El acceso principal no está en el extremo opuesto a la cabecera, donde se ubica el altar, sino en uno de sus laterales, y la gran torre del campanario está situada junto a la puerta principal, ambas novedades ubicadas ante una plaza. Otras zonas interesantes del monasterio son la sala capitular y el claustro, de 40 m de lado, que consta de tres pisos –los dos primeros del siglo XIV– y de una organización estrictamente racional.

Architect_Arquitecto: Unknown_Desconocido Chapter house_ Sala capitular: Antoni Nató and Guillem Abiell, 1419 Location_Localización: Carrer Baixada del Monestir, 9 Date_Fecha: 1326

See map 3 Ver mapa 3



22

Church of Santa Maria del Mar Iglesia de Santa Maria del Mar This church was made possible by the contributions of the shipping merchants who were based in this wealthy neighborhood. Considering its dimensions, it was built over a brief period (55 years), and it became one of the most striking and outstanding symbols of the city’s seafaring power. The church has three naves with side chapels and four stretches of rib vaulting in the roof. The central nave is square, and the other two are half its size. The ambulatory of the apse follows the general scheme of the rest of the church, despite its oblique outlines. All the elements have simple proportions and are interrelated, endowing the interior with a refinement and harmony: for example, the height of the central nave is similar to the width of the church; the vaults of the central nave are twice the size of the side ones; and the line which marks the start of the vaults of these side naves is half the height of the central one, and it is marked by capitals and a simple molding. The small gap in the height between the central and side naves makes up a static, unitary space in the interior that complements the smooth octogonal pillars, the chapels and the minimal decorative motifs.

El edificio se erigió con las aportaciones de los habitantes del rico barrio de comerciantes marítimos. Dadas sus dimensiones se construyó en un breve periodo de tiempo (55 años), y fue uno de los símbolos más evidentes y relevantes del poder marítimo de la ciudad. La iglesia tiene tres naves con capillas laterales con cuatro tramos de cubiertas de bóvedas de crucería. La nave central es de planta cuadrada y la mitad de esta son las dimensiones de los laterales. La girola del ábside sigue el esquema general del resto de la iglesia, pese a sus perfiles oblicuos. Todos los elementos, de proporciones simples, están relacionados entre sí y otorgan una alta calidad y armonía a su interior; como la altura de la nave central que es análoga al ancho de la iglesia; las vueltas de la nave central, que son el doble de las laterales, o la línea desde donde arrancan las bóvedas de las naves laterales, que es la mitad de la altura de la central y que está marcada por los capiteles y una simple moldura. La escasa diferencia en altura entre la nave central y la lateral se percibe en el interior como un espacio unitario y estático acorde con los lisos pilares octogonales, las capillas y los mínimos motivos decorativos.

Architects_Arquitectos: Berenguer de Montagut, Guillem Metge and Ramon Despuig Location_Localización: Plaça de Santa Maria, s/n. Date_Fecha: 1329-1384

See map 1 Ver mapa 1



74

Casas Fontserè The plan to transform the military citadel into a park foresaw the use of part of the land to build houses, as both a means to pay for the new park and barracks and as compensation for the former owners of houses destroyed by the war in 1714. The result was five blocks of varying dimensions with a uniform façade overlooking the Parc de la Ciutadella (in what is now the Passeig Picasso), with a large portico as an element of continuity between the blocks. Apart from their immaculately structured façade, these five blocks organize the transition between the old town and the rest of the city by means of a major vertical axis: Carrer Comerç, which directly links the Passeig de Lluís Companys with the medieval city and the Estació de França. Josep Fontserè also designed the blocks to fit into the layout of the old city’s road network; Carrer Princesa was extended and a large, open-plan market was created at the end of the Passeig del Born. This area became the financial powerhouse of the neighborhood for over a century.

El proyecto de la transformación de la ciudadela militar en parque preveía la utilización de una parte de los terrenos para la construcción de viviendas tanto para financiar el nuevo parque y las nuevas casernas como para indemnizar a los antiguos propietarios de las casas destruidas tras la guerra de 1714. El resultado de esta operación es la construcción de cinco manzanas de distintas dimensiones con una fachada uniforme orientada hacia el Parc de la Ciutadella –actual paseo Picasso–, con un gran pórtico como elemento de continuidad entre los bloques. Aparte de esta fachada perfectamente ordenada, estos cinco grandes bloques ordenan la transición entre el casco antiguo y el resto de la ciudad mediante un eje vertical muy importante: la calle Comerç, que comunica directamente el paseo de Lluís Companys con la ciudad medieval y la estación de França. Asimismo, Josep Fontserè diseñó los bloques para que se integraran en el trazado vial del casco antiguo; la calle Princesa se prolongó, y se creó un gran mercado con un espacio abierto a la salida del paseo del Born. Esta zona se convirtió en el motor económico del barrio durante más de un siglo.

Architect_Arquitecto: Josep Fontserè Location_Localización: Carrer Comerç / Passeig Picasso Date_Fecha: 1874

See map 1 Ver mapa 1



76

Casa Vicens In 1883 the young Gaudí took on one of his first commissions as an architect. This house still displays the straight lines that he would subsequently abandon in favor of curves and seemingly impossible forms, but the seeds of his later work are present in this distinctive, ostentatious building. This house in the Gràcia neighborhood is imposing in its mixture of Spanish architectural forms, inspired by the medieval period but with striking Arab touches more proper to Mudejar art than the architecture prevalent at the time, which followed the trends of the French school. Despite the fact that the house had to be built on a plot of limited dimensions framed by traditional buildings, Gaudí’s creation manages to be both distinctive and perfectly adapted to its surroundings. He conceived it as a subtle combination of geometrical volumes, skillfully achieved by the use of horizontal strips on the lower part of the building and vertical lines–emphasized by the ornamental varnished tiles–on the upper part. Gaudí chose simple materials for the exterior walls, such as natural, ocher-colored stone combined with brick.

En 1883 un joven Gaudí se enfrentaba a uno de sus primeros encargos como arquitecto. En la casa aún se aprecian las líneas rectas que posteriormente abandonaría a favor de las curvas y las formas imposibles; sin embargo, la simiente gaudiniana está presente en esta ostentosa y singular construcción. Situada en el barrio de Gràcia, la obra se muestra como una portentosa edificación que mezcla formas arquitectónicas españolas, inspiradas en la época medieval, con elementos de marcadas reminiscencias arábigas, más propias del arte mudéjar que de las construcciones del momento, en las que la escuela francesa marcaba la pauta. Pese a que la casa debía edificarse en un terreno no demasiado extenso y estaría encuadrada entre edificios tradicionales, Gaudí creó una vivienda singular perfectamente adaptada a su entorno. El arquitecto la concibió como una sutil combinación de volúmenes geométricos, que se resuelve con habilidad al emplear las franjas horizontales en la parte inferior del edificio, y las líneas verticales, que se acentúan al utilizar cerámica barnizada como ornamentación en la parte superior. Para los muros exteriores se optó por materiales sencillos, como piedra natural de color ocre combinada con ladrillo.

Architect_Arquitecto: Antoni Gaudí Location_Localización: Carrer Carolines, 24-26 Date_Fecha: 1883-1888

See map 2 Ver mapa 2



78

Fundació Antoni Tàpies This building, formerly occupied by the Montaner i Simon publishing house and print shop, was one of the first to make a clean break with historicist idioms. It used new construction materials in a rational manner, and it can therefore be considered one of the first modern buildings in Barcelona. It comprised a small office section, set in parallel with the façade, and a large workshop to the rear. The façade and the offices act as a screen between the street and the workshop, thereby disguising the industrial nature of the building. The structure of the workshop is very simple and functional, with iron pillars supporting two stories that are visually intercommunicated by a large gap in the flooring on the second story–making it possible for sunlight to penetrate the lower floor via the large skylights in the roof. The office section is also propped up by iron pillars, although the main focus of attention is the façade, with its exposed brickwork set off by large fixed windows. The refurbishment undertaken by Roser Amadó and Lluís Domènech i Girbau in 1987 transformed the space but retained its most characteristic elements, as well as installing a large sculpture by Antoni Tàpies, “The Chair and the Cloud”, on the roof of the Foundation.

El edificio fue antiguamente sede de la editorial e imprenta Montaner i Simon, una de las primeras construcciones plenamente desligadas de los lenguajes historicistas. Utiliza de una forma racional los nuevos materiales constructivos, por lo que puede ser considerado como uno de los primeros edificios modernistas de la Ciudad Condal. La construcción reunía un pequeño cuerpo de oficinas, dispuesto en paralelo a la fachada, y un gran taller en la parte posterior del edificio. La fachada y las oficinas actúan como pantalla entre la calle y la nave industrial posterior, ocultando la realidad industrial del bloque. La estructura de la nave industrial es muy simple y funcional, con pilares de hierro que sustentan dos pisos comunicados visualmente entre sí por un gran hueco en el pavimento de la segunda planta, lo que permitía iluminar con luz natural el piso inferior gracias a las grandes claraboyas de la cubierta. El cuerpo de las oficinas también está apuntalado por pilares de hierro, aunque el protagonismo radica en la fachada construida en ladrillo visto y decorada con amplios ventanales de vidrio fijos. La reforma, que llevó a cabo Roser Amadó y Lluís Domènech i Girbau en 1987, reconvirtió el espacio conservando sus elementos más característicos; además de incluir la gran escultura de Antoni Tàpies, “La cadira y el núvol”, que corona la Fundació.

Architect_Arquitecto: Lluís Domènech i Montaner Location_Localización: Carrer Aragó, 255 Date_Fecha: 1881-1886

See map 2 Ver mapa 2



84

Umbracle Umbráculo The Umbracle forms part of the cultural complex that was put up for the Universal Exhibition of 1888 and perfectly illustrates the 19th-century interest in classifying and giving scientific names to all living beings that was derived from the ideas of Encyclopedism. It is no accident that the Museu de Geologia stands alongside the Umbracle, which houses a collection of plants, and that close to these buildings there is a small zoo. The building is made up of five naves with a roof straddled by semicircular metal hoops and wooden sheets, which are separated from each other to filter the rainwater and allow diffuse sunlight to enter. The iron supports are proof of the elegance and mastery of this construction system in the hands of Fontserè, who was one of the most interesting architects of this period, despite the fact that he had no academic training and was only a master builder. The simple but effective structure contrasts with the façade, built with elaborate brickwork, which was very fashionable in Barcelona at the time and gave a touch of class to a municipal building. This material went on to be very popular with Catalan Modernism.

El Umbráculo forma parte de los edificios culturales construidos para la Exposición Universal de 1888. Estos son un buen ejemplo de los intereses decimonónicos deudores de la mentalidad enciclopédica, interesada en clasificar y otorgar una nomenclatura científica a todos los seres vivos. No es casual y gratuito que junto al Umbráculo, que alberga una colección de plantas, se hallara el Museu de Geología, y próximo a estos edificios un pequeño zoológico. La construcción está formada por cinco naves con cubierta de perfiles metálicos semicirculares y láminas de madera, separadas estas entre sí para filtrar el agua de lluvia y tamizar los rayos solares. Los soportes de hierro dan fe de la elegancia y el dominio de este sistema constructivo que utilizaba Josep Fontserè, uno de los arquitectos más interesantes de este periodo pese a que no tenía título académico y sólo era maestro de obras. La estructura, simple y eficaz, contrasta con la fachada construida con un elaborado trabajo de ladrillo, muy en boga en la ciudad, para otorgar notoriedad a un edificio municipal. Este material será posteriomente muy utilizado durante el modernismo catalán.

Architect_Arquitecto: Josep Fontserè Location_Localización: Parc de la Ciutadella Date_Fecha: 1883-1884

See map 1 Ver mapa 1



86

Palau Güell The Palau Güell, which has been classified as a world heritage site by UNESCO, is the building that made Gaudí’s name. He designed this residence on an unlimited budget, without skimping on materials: he used the best stone, the best wrought iron and the best woodwork, making it the most expensive house of the period. The position of this urban mansion, in a narrow street in Barcelona’s historic quarter, makes it difficult to view the building as a whole from the outside. Güell decided to make his home here for two reasons: to avoid giving up this family property and to improve the area’s bad reputation. The sober stone façade belies the majestic interior, where Gaudí gave rein to an unaccustomed sumptuousness. The façade went through a total of over 25 designs before the definitive choice, which was configured along bold historicist lines, with some subtle classical touches. Two large doors in the form of a parabolic arch make up the entrance to the house, which is spread over a basement, four floors and a roof terrace. The basement is reached via two ramps, one for servants and the other for horses.

Declarado patrimonio de la humanidad por la Unesco, el Palau Güell es el edificio que permitió a Antoni Gaudí abandonar el anonimato. El arquitecto diseñó esta residencia sin escatimar medios y sin límite de presupuesto. Para su construcción se emplearon las mejores piedras, el mejor hierro forjado y la mejor ebanistería, por lo que la casa se convirtió en el edificio más caro de la época. La ubicación de este palacio urbano en una angosta calle del casco histórico de Barcelona impide contemplar toda la construcción desde el exterior. Eusebi Güell decidió fijar allí su residencia con dos propósitos: no abandonar las propiedades familiares y conseguir cambiar la mala fama del lugar. La sobria fachada de piedra poco hace presagiar la majestuosidad del interior, en el que Gaudí desplegó un lujo inaudito. Más de 25 diseños precedieron a la fachada definitiva, que se resolvió con unas contundentes líneas historicistas y unos sutiles aires clásicos. Dos grandes puertas en forma de arcos parabólicos constituyen la entrada al edificio, que dispone de un sótano, cuatro plantas y una azotea. Para acceder a los sótanos Gaudí creó dos rampas, una para el servicio y otra para los caballos.

Architect_Arquitecto: Antoni Gaudí Location_Localización: Carrer Nou de la Rambla, 3-5 Date_Fecha: 1886-1888

See map 1 Ver mapa 1



88

Museu de Zoologia This building was designed to be the café-restaurant of the Universal Exhibition but it was not finished in time. Even so, it is one of the most surprising and innovative buildings arising from the exhibition project, along with the same architect’s central hotel (now unfortunately destroyed), a high-quality building that was put up with prefabricated iron structures in a mere 53 days. What is surprising is the structure: the ground floor, which contains the large nave, is realized by means of two large metal arches, which form the skeleton, while the brick walls and arches round off the structure. This simple design (which is repeated on the first floor) creates expansive spaces that do not require intermediate supports, thereby demonstrating the architect’s great technical skill. However, it is not clear whether this approach was inspired by the diaphragm arches of southern Gothic architecture or the contemporary engineering works made with iron, such as the bridges designed by Eiffel. The central gallery is flanked by two completely functional service wings that blend in harmoniously with the rest of the building.

Este proyecto estaba destinado a ser el café restaurante de la Exposición Universal, pero su construcción no se finalizó a tiempo. Aun así es de los edificios más sorprendentes e innovadores de la exposición, junto al desafortunadamente destruido hotel central, un edificio de alta calidad que se erigió con estructuras prefabricadas de hierro en tan sólo 53 días, también del mismo autor. El café restaurante sorprende por su estructuración. La planta baja, que alberga la gran nave, está resuelta con dos grandes arcos de perfiles metálicos, que constituyen el esqueleto de la estructura, con los muros y los arcos elaborados con ladrillos que acaban de cohesionarla. Este sencillo esquema –que se repite en la segunda planta– crea amplios espacios sin soportes intermedios, que demuestran la gran capacidad técnica del arquitecto; sin embargo, no queda tan claro si la inspiración para esta obra son los arcos diafragmas de la arquitectura gótica meridional o las modernas estructuras de ingeniería de hierro, como es el caso de los puentes de Eiffel. La galería central está flanqueada por dos alas de servicio absolutamente funcionales y armónicas con el resto del volumen.

Architect_Arquitecto: Lluís Domènech i Montaner Location_Localización: Passeig Pujades, s/n. Date_Fecha: 1887-188

See map 1 Ver mapa 1



260

Indra Offices Oficinas Indra Over a more solid and compact three-floor plinth-like structure they’ve constructed the highest piece, which flaunts its slenderness over a rhomboidal base. Since this is a corporate office building they’ve designed spacious floors, although projected so they can be divided in different units depending on future needs. The original façade has been covered by a stainless steel metal with spherical patterns inlayed into the material.

Sobre una estructura de tres plantas a modo de zócalo, más maciza y compacta, se alza la pieza más alta que luce su esbeltez sobre una planta romboidal. Al tratarse de un edificio corporativo de oficinas se han diseñado amplias plantas diáfanas, aunque proyectadas para poder dividirse en diferentes unidades según las necesidades futuras. La original fachada está revestida por un tejido metálico de acero inoxidable con estampados en forma de esfera realizados mediante la embutición del tejido.

Architects_Arquitectos: b720 Arquitectos Location_Localización: Tànger, 110-120 Date_Fecha: 2006

See map 1 Ver mapa 1