FOR EVEN MORE NEWS VISIT: timeslocalnews.co.uk
Hearing set to stop suspension of Parliament A JUDGE has agreed to fast-track a hearing on whether the Prime Minister Boris Johnson can legally suspend Parliament in order to force through a no-deal Brexit. Campaigners including more than 70 MPs and peers filed a petition at the Court of Session in Edinburgh to attempt to stop Mr Johnson from being able to ‘prorogue’ Parliament. Judge Lord Raymond Doherty set the date of the substantive hearing for Friday September 6 – in what is set to be a tumultuous week in Westminster. MPs will return from their summer break on September 3, and Labour could call a confidence vote in the Government any day that week. The following day, the Government will provide a progress report on power-sharing in Northern Ireland. A source said Downing Street anticipated that Monday September 9 – when MPs are likely to discuss the report – could be the first major legislative showdown over no-deal.
£500,000 payout for Salmond case THE Scottish Government confirmed it has paid £512,250 in legal costs to Alex Salmond after a court ruled its handling of complaints made against him was ‘unlawful’. The former First Minister launched legal action against the Scottish Government in August 2018 to contest the complaints process activated against him in relation to sexual harassment allegations, which Mr Salmond (pictured below) has denied. At a hearing at the Court of Session in Edinburgh in January, judge Lord Pentland said the Government’s actions had been ‘unlawful in respect that they were procedurally unfair’ and were ‘tainted with apparent bias’. The Scottish Government admitted it had breached its own guidelines by appointing an investigating officer who had ‘prior involvement’ in the case.
SEARCH MISSION Nora Quoirin went missing on August 4
Body of Nora found in forest near resort A BODY found in a forest in Malaysia has been identified as that of 15-year-old Nora Quoirin, who went missing while on holiday. The London teenager, who had special needs, disappeared from the jungle destination of Dusun on August 4. Rescuers found the body next to a small stream, 1.6 miles from the resort. A post-mortem examination is due to take place today [Wednesday] to determine the cause of death.
Almost 350 people were deployed in the search operation on Monday National deputy police chief Mazlan Mansor said the body ‘was not in any clothings’ and said while it remained a missing persons case, officers were looking into all possibilities including the ‘angle of criminal investigation’. The huge search and rescue team received a call from a member of the public about the sighting near a waterfall at around 1pm yesterday. Almost 350 people had been deployed in the operation on Monday, according to Malaysia’s Malay Mail newspaper. Previously, search crews looking for
Nora played her mother’s voice in the dense Malaysian forest near where she disappeared. Nora was born with the brain defect holoprosencephaly. Her parents said her condition meant she was not independent and had difficulty walking. The Lucie Blackman Trust, set up after a missing woman from Sevenoaks was found dead in Japan in 2000, is handling media for the Quoirin family. The organisation, which supports British nationals who are in crisis overseas, said: “The Lucie Blackman Trust can confirm with great sadness that the body found today is that of missing teenager Nora Quoirin. “Local police have confirmed identification. Please respect the family and do not approach them at this difficult time.” The teenager’s parents, Meabh and Sebastien Quoirin, a French-Irish couple who have lived in London for 20 years, thanked those looking for her as fundraising pages set up by Nora’s aunt and uncle collected more than £100,000 from well-wishers. Nora’s mother made a heartfelt appeal on Monday to find her as a £10,000 reward – donated by an anonymous Belfast business – was offered for information leading to her safe return.
NEWS IN BRIEF circulation. The designs from the Royal Mint follow the release of coins last year to mark the 60th anniversary of the children’s favourite, who was created by Michael Bond in 1958.
Diana the musical hits US
Please look after this 50p NEW 50p coins depicting Paddington Bear visiting the Tower of London and St Paul’s Cathedral have gone into general
A STAGE musical about Princess Diana’s life is to arrive on Broadway next year. Diana is billed as the story of the woman who ‘rocked the Royals’ and ‘chose to be fearless, and as a result became timeless’. It has music by Bon Jovi keyboardist David Bryan, and the lead role will be taken by Jeanna de Waal, who has appeared in American Idiot and Kinky Boots on Broadway.
Britons help stop attacker THREE Britons who helped to disarm an attacker with a knife in Sydney have described their ordeal as ‘very surreal’. Lee Cuthbert, Paul O’Shaughnessy and Luke O’Shaughnessy, all from Manchester, were at work at the time. They said: “We looked out and saw him on top of a car wielding a knife and we all just kind of reacted from there. “We just tried to get down as quick as we could. You don’t think, you just kind of react really, it was very, very surreal. “We all kind of chased, worked together, but it was Luke who was the real hero. He pursued him the hardest and managed to get a grip of him.”
Wednesday August 14 | 2019