C AY M AN
PHOTOS COURTESY OF CAYMAN ISLANDS DEPARTMENT OF TOURISM
G R A ND
Known as “the birthplace of democracy in the Cayman Islands,” the Pedro St. James National Historic Site has been likened to the United States’ Independence Hall in Philadelphia. Caymanians met here on Dec. 5, 1831, and voted to form their first elected parliament. They gathered at “the Castle” on May 3, 1835, to hear the proclamation
ABOVE: Pedro St. James. MIDDLE: Cannon at site; bedroom. BOTTOM, FROM LEFT: A traditional stove; kitchen; child’s room.
ending slavery in the British Empire. The mansion originally was the private home of planter William Eden. The threestory landmark was built from quarried native rock in about 1780. It was the only survivor of a 1785 hurricane, making it the Caymans’ oldest stone structure. The family abandoned it in 1877, and it was put to various uses until the Cayman government purchased it in 1991.
Restoration work on Pedro St. James
landscaped courtyard. The featured
took seven years to complete. Guests
attractions are a 20-minute multimedia
enter through the Visitors Center,
theater presentation of Cayman history
which perches on a bluff overlooking
and a self-guided tour of the imposing
the Caribbean Sea and surrounds a
CARNIVAL CRUISE LINES FUN ASHORE
1112 POC GCayman.indd 201
10/4/11 7:04 PM
Fun Ashore -- POC (ports of call) book, which includes Carnival Cruise Lines marketing, regional articles and port information.