Worksheet: Structure and Properties of Solids Name: __________________ 1. Why is it stated that the study of the solid state is the study of crystals?
2. What is a crystal?
3. What determines the properties of a crystal?
4. The lattice structure of an ionic solid consists of positive ions and negative ions held together by ionic bonds. Describe the lattice structure of a molecular solid.
5. What are the four types of crystalline solids?
6. Which type of crystalline solid has the lowest melting points? Why?
7. List three ways in which amorphous solids differ from crystalline solids.