Page 1


Annual Dinner t by b by b Richard Ri h d Willmott Will tt report page 5 Hall of Fame David Nash RA (B. 1959-63) page 13 Obituary Peter Rumney (H. 1937-39) page 16 Reunion of Squash players 20th March 2007 page 20 Reunion of College Rugby players, 1953-57 page 20 John Pope’s Retirement Match full details page 21 U25’s Battle Back from the Brink back page OBA Office: Brighton College Eastern Road Brighton BN2 0AL t: +44 (0) 1273 704250 (Direct line) t: +44 (0) 1273 704200 (switchboard) f: +44 (0) 1273 704204 e: Office hours : 8.30am to 12.30pm (Mon to Fri) Website & Magazine Produced by Alex Bremer (R. 1979-83), 3B Web Design - (0845 450 5968)

OBA Committee: President & AROPS Rep: Tony Whitestone Hon. Secretary: Tim Loadsman (L. 1951-57) Hon. Treasurer: Paul Lobo (C. 1976-81) Administrator: Fiona Aiken (F. 1979-81) Headmaster: Richard Cairns (ex officio) Parent Rep: Della Keighley Council Rep: Andrew Symonds (A. 1955-59) Chris Pett (H. 1962-67) Giles Stubbs (R. 1997-02) Nicky Stanton (W. 2001-03) Alex Bremer (R. 1979-83) David Gold (S. 1986-91) Sports Rep: John Aiken (A. 1976-81 - ex officio) Head of School: Stephanie Mitchell Deputies: Hannah Edmond & Morgan Griffiths

Dear Old Brightonians, May I wish all OBs and their families a happy and prosperous 2008. No doubt you have seen the media coverage of recent, exciting events and developments at the College: scholarships, generously supported by HSBC, for pupils from the East End of London, links with Chinese schools, with Ed Balls opening the new Confucius Centre at the College in March and, more recently, the extensive coverage given to the school’s new course in Life Skills (see page 8), which for the popular press meant lessons in social etiquette and manners – not that OBs were any less well mannered than their present day counterparts! Please keep in touch with OB and College events and developments through the excellent website and Facebook for those of you who know what I mean! Thank you to all those who have communicated with me recently and wished me well on my retirement and my assumption of the OBA Presidency. Best Wishes

Tony Whitestone, (ex staff, 1971-2006), OBA President PS: Thanks to the many Old Brightonians who send me their news, opinions, photos, memories. Keep them coming - email me directly at

Pelican Magazine, March 2008 page 3

News in brief Nigel Thomas, (C/S. 1998-99 - bottom right in picture) is now lead singer and songwriter for The Foxes, a London based group who are touring with The Yetis. They have in the past shared the stage with great artists including ‘The Magic Numbers’, ‘The Draytones’ and ‘Eddie and the Hot Rods’ and have had airplay on both XFM London and XFM Manchester. They have been acclaimed by legendary music journalist Chris Welch, Radio and TV presenter Bob Harris and a multitude of reviewers for their energetic live shows. Find out more about Nigel and The Foxes at: and Chris Terrill (A. 1965-70) posted: 12th November 2007 Recently finished making an 8 part series for ITV called Commando - “On the Front Line”. Nothing unusual there, you might think - after all, Chris has a long and well deserved reputation for making high quality “fly-on-the-wall” films about life in the Armed Services. This time, however, Chris donned the camouflage and covered his face in boot polish to, quite literally, earn his stripes and become the oldest person ever to achieve a “Green Beret” (as well as being the only civilian to pass all four tests). Rory Truscott (S. 2003-07) from Pulborough in West-Sussex has made it through from over 10,000 singers and bands across the country to perform at the live stages of Live & Unsigned. Live and Unsigned is a national music competition for unsigned bands and singers to compete live. With over 10,000 registrations in 2007 it is the biggest music talent search outside a certain ITV show. The difference with Live and Unsigned is that the acts taking part are encouraged to do their own thing; be individual, original, perform their own genre and style Live. The competition’s aim is to find potential recording artists with the National final being held in London. The competition has winners in categories of best individual female, male and Best Live & Unsigned band. With the overall adult winner/s of the competition getting a Recording and management contract with Future Music with an investment of up to £20,000 invested in them to release their single with Future Music. The Under 18’s

Amanda Bucknill (F. 1992-84) posted: 18th October 2007 Amanda has just completed a successful show of her sculpture at the Henley Festival. More of her work can be seen on her website:

kicked off in earnest in the state of New Hampshire on 8 January. Iowans have already stated their preferences in caucuses. Who will it be in New Hampshire? The BBC asked six residents to say who they are supporting and why - and one of them was our very own Charles Grant (S. 2006-07)...

The US primary season, in which the main parties select their presidential candidates,

More news at: obs_news_01.htm

winner has the option to record a track written by Lemar and Mark Hill (Craig David’s producer) and will additionally get to record an album. The winners will be crowned the UK’s best Live and Unsigned acts in front of a capacity crowd, including many professionals from within the music industry. They will be thrust into the media spotlight through television, radio and the press and furthermore all winners will all be invited on the UK Live and Unsigned Tour. The tour involves as many as 100 gigs across the UK including the chance to perform live at some well-known festivals. The 2007 competition boasts ITV coverage, which is also planned for 2008. Rory is now preparing for the Live stages where he will compete amongst fifteen other hopefuls in their Live show on the 30th of march for a place in the Regional Final. For more information go to the website

Annual Dinner 2007

Saturday, 24th November 2007 As we set off from Hereford I gave a little sigh and, when questioned by Isobel, admitted that I was wondering why I was setting off on a gloomy November day to drive two hundred miles across England for a dinner. Once we had arrived, however, all doubts were dispelled as we plunged into the happy hubbub of old friends. Here were OBs who had been supportive governors as well as parents of pupils that I had taught or whom we had looked after (well tried to, anyway) in Fenwick: for example Stephen Cockburn (S.1953-58), father of Miranda, now herself the mother of a girl in Fenwick (when on earth was there time for all this to happen?), and Ian Dodd (H. 1956-60) and Margaret (former head of Hawkhurst and mother of the three Hollinshead girls, all committed members of Fenwick). Here were OBs from the Upper Sixth of my first year at the College: Geoff Bailey of the mighty cricket bat (A 1972-7), and Michael Banner (A 1972-7) and James Bre-

nan (S 1972-77) whom I taught for A level. Here too were stars of stage and screen, well stage anyway, including Sarah Mann (F 1985-7) and Glen McCready (S 1985-7), inspirational as Martha and George in Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf, a play in which I can only claim to have watched the rehearsals, since they really produced it for themselves! And also James Adutt (L 1982-7), the only Peter Quince that I can remember playing his ’cello on stage, albeit now more known for his performances on the piano. How splendid, too, to see so many of James’s contemporaries. Here also were OBs who were now responsible mothers (time playing its tricks again): for example Katie Hackett (F 1985-7) with cheerful memories of the past (we exchanged mutual forgiveness) and Carol Hay (née Grant, F. 1985-87) and her husband Nick (C. 1981-86), no longer the rosy-cheeked scrum-half I coached in the under-14s, or even the much improved member of the successful 1st XV of Jason Burroughs’ era, but a veteran of the RAF. Here too was Carol’s brother Stuart Grant

(A. 1987-92), to bring back happy memories of my one unbeaten U14 team, not to mention that famous year when he was captain of an unbeaten 1st XV, and with him his wife Claire (Rodgers), and her sister Nicky, two stalwart members of Fenwick from the 80s. Here were even OBs from our time whose children had, still more improbably, already passed right through the College: yes, Fiona and John Aiken (F 1979-81 and A 1976-81). (This gives me a welcome chance to acknowledge Fiona’s sterling work as administrator, and indeed also to thank Alex Bremer (R. 1979-83), his camera in action as always, for the excellent website.) And what a weight of learning and wit sat down at our table! Bill Blackshaw, that truest of headmasters, and his wife Elizabeth; John Page, head of Classics in my time, but before that a housemaster of Chichester, as smiling and cheerful as ever; Tony Whitestone, a shrewd colleague and good friend as well as our President Elect, and his wife, Alison. And then all those Heads continued on page 7

Marriages & Births Anil Mirchandani (C. 1982-85 - left) married Jessica Malvaso in Melbourne, Australia at St. John’s Anglican Church on January 13, 2008. We went away to Japan on our honeymoon, where I was born and thoroughly enjoyed it.

On the 30th August 2007, Rehanna Saheid-Dyer (W. 1997-01), (F. 2001-02) married Paul Dyer (above). The wedding itself was at Midland County Courthouse in Texas but they had a reception on the 20th October 2007 at the Midland Hilton Hotel. Unfortunatly there were no OB’s present but there will be a UK reception sometime next year which a lot of OB friends will be at.

Yusuf Karimjee (C. 1985-90, below) married Aran Corrigan in Zanzibar, Tanzania on October 20th 2007. We spent our honeymoon in Italy. We are both living in working in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania and loving the lifestyle!

Katerina Humphries (nee Strong, W. 1989-91) and husband, Paul, are pleased to announce the birth of their second daughter, Feena Isabella Yasmin, on 7th July 2007. We were very excited to receive this photo to add to our collection of Pelicans at: A fabulous specimen spotted over Santa Cruz, California, by Neil Pearlberg (H: 1970-76) on 11th January 2008 We were both delighted and a little horrified when we received this photo from Joey Appleton (D. 1979-84). It shows Joey with Kevin O’Mahoney (R. 1979-84) and Justin Wash (B/C. 1979-84) pictured at the 1984 Leavers Ball. We can’t help but wonder how much of a struggle Spandau Ballet put up before being forcefully relieved of their dinner jackets...

Vice-Presidents’ Luncheon The fourth Vice Presidents’ Luncheon was held on Friday, February Ist. Again the OBA is very grateful for the good offices of Peter Miller (C. 1945-49), who again enabled us to meet at the splendid venue of the Army and Navy Club. The thirty odd Vice Presidents and friends of the OBA were treated to an excellent and convivial lunch, at which Louise Kenway, the College’s senior deputy and representing Richard Cairns, gave an upbeat report on current developments and successes at the College. Possible fears of the College’s readiness to meet the (still imprecise) criteria of ‘public benefit’ from the Charities’ Commission were allayed in an informal question and answer session after Louise’s speech. It was a great pleasure for me to be carrying out my first ‘official’ presidential duties at this now well established occasion. Tony Whitestone (OBA President)

continued from page 5 of English . . . Tim Pearce, whose fault it all was when he persuaded Henry Christie to appoint the young man doing his teaching practice to the English department (he assured us that his departure a year after Philip Robinson’s arrival was entirely coincidental); John Griffin who took over the English department for the next four years and on whose watch the College’s English department gained another stalwart in Simon Smith; then me; and finally, when I had stepped down to become Director of Studies, the man himself, Philip Robinson. What’s more the speeches were as good as any I can remember at an OB dinner. David Gold (S 1986-91), our outgoing president, spoke with his customary charm and has clearly left far behind him the dubious advice he used to receive from me when he was in the E-SU public-speaking team. Next Richard Cairns eloquently outlined the importance of the College being a place from which its students reach out across both national and social boundaries, and appealed for support for a further scholarship for a pupil from a disadvantaged background. Last of all, Philip Robinson spoke with wit and affection of his time at the College. As we listened to his memories we were reminded again of the breadth of his commitment and the wealth of talents that he brought to the College. Above all, as we sunned ourselves in the warmth of his personality, we knew how lucky we were,

pupils and colleagues alike, to have such a good friend. And so why did I drive two hundred miles, and why did others even come from abroad? Why, to celebrate friendship, of course, with those whose lives intertwined with our own at the College, and whom we were delighted to see again. An after-thought: When I arrived as head of English in 1976 I had taught one year longer than Robinson and Smith combined (a fact that unaccountably failed to give me any sense of confident superiority when I faced the pair of them together). After the dinner that night I calculated that I would now need to have

taught for seventy-one years to say the same thing. by Richard Willmott (former Head of the English Department, Deputy Head and Director of Studies). Top picture: left to right, Miriam Bremer, Angelica Appleton, Carrie England (F. 1982-84) and Justine Tate; Left picture: Bill Blackshaw (Headmaster 1971-87), John Griffin (Head of English, 1972-76) and Simon Smith (Second Master); Below: Philip Robinson (former Head of English and Guest of Honour) addresses guests. More photos and full report at: annual_dinner_2007_01.htm

Pelican Magazine, March 2008 page 7

London Drinks - 26th February 2008 For the first London Drinks of 2008 we’d chosen a new venue in the City, Firefly Bar at The Old Bailey – a terrific venue where we were very well looked after. The Old Brightonians had an area of the bar cordoned off where a select group of 13 of us spent a very pleasant evening. Usually these evenings take a while to get going (we’re lucky if there are 3 or 4 for the first hour or so), but when I arrived at about 6.45pm there was a fair crowd already ensconced - our esteemed President, Tony Whitestone, was already in deep in conversation with his son, Daniel (L. 1997-98), Barney James (H. 1993-98), Doug Edmonds (S. 1993-98) and Morgan Williams (D. 1999-03). I joined Conor McCormack (B / S. 1979-84) for a well deserved ale or 3. It was great to see Tim Loadsman (L. 1951-57) who had been able to pop in briefly. He’d been up to visit his daughter in

hospital, and the Association wishes her a speedy recovery. These evenings inevitably produce a selection of stalwarts (amongst whom I readily include myself), and tonight was no exception (It’s always good to see Simon Lanyon (C. 1951-56) at these events; he always seems to have a smile on his face), but we were pleased to welcome a couple of new faces: Sarah Douglas (C. 1999-01) and Sara Hashash (C. 1999-01). The evening was fairly well established by the time John Nehls (H. 1972-77) and John Polsue (B. 1965-69) showed up. Together with Barney James the conversation inevitably took a turn for the rugby… and tales of Rumney-esque derring-do abounded accordingly. It was terrific fun to chat to these 3, and we all resolved to reconvene at John Pope’s Retirement Match on 16th March. My abiding impression of the evening is simply the wonderful sight of OBs of such varying vintages mixing so easily and with

such good humour; a sight repeated time and time again at these events – I very much hope that those reading this might take the opportunity to join us next time, and enjoy the company of their fellow London OBs. by Alex Bremer (R. 1979-83) full report and pictures at: london_drinks_260208_01.htm Pictures: below: Sara Hashash (C. 1999-01), OBA President Tony Whitestone and Sarah Douglas (C. 1999-01); opposite: top left: Doug Edmonds (S. 1993-98) and Tim Loadsman (L. 1951-57); top right: Alex Bremer (R. 1979-83), John Nehls (H. 1972-77) and John Polsue (B. 1965-69); bottom: John Nehls (H. 1972-77), Barney James (H. 1993-98), Morgan Williams (D. 1999-03) and Conor McCormack (B / S. 1979-84).

College News: “Life Skills: how to...” Good manners never go out of fashion, but now they’ve been made a new academic subject alongside old staples like maths, science and languages. The £14,500 a year, Brighton College on Eastern Road, Brighton, is about to launch a course in good etiquette called ‘How to...’ onto the curriculum. Harking back to the wisdom of the 19th Century the school has decided even the most high achieving pupils are getting caught out in the real world of business and careers because they don’t know how to carry themselves in unfamiliar formal situations. Headmaster Richard Cairns said: “Good manners and understanding of etiquette at formal dinners is a deal breaker in the business world. It’s as important as exam grades or degrees. “A report was published not long ago saying employers were put off by the number of undergraduates not equipped for it. “I asked each member of staff to think of a skill they were particularly good at so the second master, Simon Smith agreed to teach the boys how to iron shirts and a friend of one of the house mistresses

agreed to teach they girls how to put on make-up in a way that made it subtle.” Boys and girls will be sent formal invitations to dine at the headmasters house every Thursday and will have to compose formal acceptance of the invitation if they want to go. During the dinner they will be taught when and when not to take their jacket off, how to use the right cutlery for the right course, how to deal with any food they don’t like and how to talk to the right people at the right time. Mr Cairns said: “They don’t know that they can’t just take their jacket off as soon as they sit down and they can’t get up and go to the loo whenever. They don’t know that they should break bread not cut it and that they should talk to the people on their left during their first course and their right during their main course. It’s natural for people to focus on one person they find interesting or easy to talk to but this won’t fare well at business or even a personal dinners. “I will send out a formal invitation to my house and anyone who wants to attend must write a formal RSVP. Obviously no one will be turned away at my door but in

the wider world any host of a formal dinner will expect a correctly written response. Most of the students don’t know that you write an RSVP in the third person not the first person.” The pupils will also be asked to cook a meal for the headmaster and other teachers. Not only to learn valuable cooking skills but the associated skills of drawing up a seating plan, writing a menu and welcoming guests correctly. Alongside culinary polishing the pupils will be taught how to ballroom dance by professional dance teachers. Mr Cairns said: “A lot of big businesses in the city arrange formal dances and balls so it’s more important than you think. I wish I’d been taught to dance at a young age. It makes it so much easier if it ever comes up in the future.” The school will hold weekly classes in manners in addition to the dinners, though lessons will not lead to a formal qualification. by Naomi Loomes reproduced with the kind permission of The Argus (

Old Brightonian Lodge No. 4104 Members of the Old Brightonian Lodge meeting on January 11th 2008 at the College mourned the loss of our oldest member Peter Rumney. Chris Apps gave a personal account of his friendship with Peter and members stood to honour the memory of a unique character. Peter was a member of the Lodge from 1949 and rarely missed a meeting. He was immensely enthusiastic, loyal and friendly and he cared deeply about Freemasonry, the Lodge and its members, as he did about all his many other interests. At the dinner afterwards £175.00 was collected and donated to Friends of Brighton and Hove Hospitals in memory of Peter , to add to many personal donations that has already been made. At the meeting Nick Clark, son in law of

Adrian Latham two of whose daughters attended the College, was initiated. Peter Best (A. 1951-54) was in the Chair. On March 28th the Lodge will entertain our Ladies and guests to dinner at the College and it is hoped that College representatives will join us. Anyone interested in this dinner or in information about the Lodge should contact Peter Cockburn on 01444 811004, or Further meetings are scheduled for April 25th, June 13th, September 12th and the Summer party is on August 2nd.

Read more at: lodge/lodge_01.htm

below: “The College Gate” by Anthony Hall More at:

continued on page 11

More news in brief E. Harold Fellows (L. 1950-53) posted: 12th February 2008 Royal Navy, Wine trade, now retired and living in Northern Cyprus with a small vineyard. Brother Frank (L 1945-49) still runs a sailing and water-sports complex near Stutterheim Eastern Cape SA. Kip Baker (L. 1964) posted: 1st February 2008 After years of running around chasing my own tail (so to speak) from diver in charge of the first phase of the Brighton marina, to organising travel warrants for engineers in Algeria, to running picture framing shops in East Anglia, to owning a transport company in the east of England.....I finally ran away and hid! I now do pretty much of nothing as an interpreter and “estate agent” in central France. La belle vie! Of course should any OBs want to hide

here I’ll be pleased to help and if anyone actually remembers me (I’d be surprised!) I’d love to hear from them. Amy Tarrant (W. 1992-94) posted: 29th January 2008 After 3 very happy years in Singapore I have made the move back to the UK for a while, bringing with me my ever-patient partner, Steve. Having taken a year and a half out to complete my MBA, I am now happily ensconced as a senior consultant at a marketing firm and enjoying re-discovering my home country. Life is good just the 2 of us and there are no plans afoot to inflict more Tarrants on the education system. David Cartwright (D. 1949-51) posted: 22nd January 2008

I am semi-retired and now run a B&B in Bath. Any OB’s welcome. Behzad Ahmadi (C. 1971-75) posted: 6th January 2008 Residing in the USA. working in psychiatry, both as consultant and private practice; married with three children... John Want (H. 1987-92) posted: 25th February 2008 After finally graduating with a CIM Postgrad Diploma in Marketing, I’ve just moved down to sunny Cornwall to take up the role of Senior Brand Manager at Ginster’s - the makers of everyone’s favourite Cornish pasties! Back to England after 11 years in the Welsh valleys... More news at: obs_news_01.htm

OBA Hall of Fame David Nash RA (B. 1959-63) David Nash studied at Kingston College of Art from 1963 to 1967 and at Chelsea School of Art (Postgraduate) from 1969 to 1970. Nash’s first one-man exhibitions were held in 1973 at Queen Elizabeth Hall, York and at Oriel, Bangor, Wales. These rapidly led to a series of solo exhibitions throughout the UK and his international reputation was established after his first one-man shows overseas were held in 1980 at Elise Meyer Gallery, New York and at Galleria Cavallino, Venice, Italy. Since then, he has continued to hold one-man shows on an annual basis throughout the world. Nash’s work has also been included in numerous international key group exhibitions since 1970. These include ‘The Condition of Sculpture’, at the Hayward Gallery, London (1975), ‘British Art Now: An American Perspective’, at the Soloman R Guggenheim Museum, New York and tour (1980), ‘British Sculpture in the Twentieth Century, Part II’, at the Whitechapel Art Gallery, London (1981) and ‘Aspects of British Art Today’, at the Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum in (1982). More recently his work was included in ‘Here and Now’, at the Serpentine Gallery, London (1995), ‘Sculptors’ Drawings 1945-90’, at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York and ‘The Shape of the Century: 100 Years of Sculpture in Britain’, at Salisbury Cathedral and Canary Wharf, London (1999). In 2000 his work ‘Cube, Sphere, Pyramid’ was purchased by the Chantrey Bequest for the Nation. Nash was elected a Royal Academician in 1999, the same year in which he was appointed a Research Fellow, University of Northumbria, Newcastle and was awarded an Honorary Doctorate in Art & Design by Kingston University. Nash lives and works in North Wales. Right: Edward Twohig (Director of Art) and David Nash RA (B. 1959-63) are pictured at the Regency Assembly Room Exhibition in Lewes Town Hall, May 2007 The College is extremely fortunate in having a brilliant forthcoming exhibition of work by David Nash, in the Burstow Gallery after half term from 25th Feb to 7th March. Full details at: news.asp?id=254155

Obituaries Elsie Hawthorn (1927-2007) Elsie was born in Glasgow and, after her secondary education, she moved to London to train as a teacher. She was an independent young woman, in many ways ahead of her time, and this independent streak gave her the confidence to travel to Hong Kong, in her twenties, to take up a teaching appointment at an International School. From there, she travelled to a school in Peru. After that appointment she moved to Bishops Lee School in Rhodesia, now Zimbabwe, as Headmistress, but the worsening political climate there forced her to return to England in the late seventies. It was at that time that I met Elsie, when we were appointed to our respective posts at Brighton College in September 1980. She was Headmistress of Kingscliffe, the Pre-Preparatory School, and I was Headmaster of Brighton College Junior School, the Prep School. We always enjoyed an excellent rapport, although that did not mean that she could be taken for granted! I certainly thought twice before questioning her decisions about who should move on to the Prep School at the age of eight. She was a strong-minded, maybe imperious lady, possibly borne of the fact that she had taught overseas as a single woman who would have had to be particularly resilient. This fortitude showed itself during her struggle with the illness that finally overwhelmed her last October. I do not think it is an exaggeration to say that the children in Miss Hawthorn’s care were very fond of her and that she was highly respected by her staff. She always supported her teachers and made sure they were treated fairly. She had a genuine desire to educate, in the fullest meaning of that word, every child in her school, no matter what the child’s ability or background. Although not a religious person, Elsie made her assemblies, Harvest Festivals and Nativity Plays, some of which she wrote herself, memorable and meaningful. She was not particularly musical but wished to ensure that music was taught to each class and that all three terms should end with a concert which would involve every child. I asked Elizabeth, my wife, to respond to Elsie’s desire for a specialist music teacher, if only to establish the role for others to follow. However, she continued for three mornings weekly for three years, enjoying her collaboration with Elsie, who

had felt that she herself was not a creative person. Thereafter, we reaped the benefit in the Prep School where music was a very significant feature of the curriculum. We were always in the front row for Elsie’s end-of-term shows which were a credit to her and her colleagues. Physical exercise was also a priority, even if this brought her into conflict with the College authorities when she famously let her children play on the hallowed turf of the College sports field …. and that was not the only encounter with the College hierarchy. There was another equally famous occasion, which involved a master’s dog, and we know that Elsie was very particular about owners who did not control their pets. This master received a verbal tirade for allowing his dog to ‘pee’ on plants which the children were growing just outside the school! From a personal point of view, I was not disappointed with the children who transferred to the Prep School from Kingscliffe each year. They had been well-taught, were well-behaved, well-mannered and respectful, and they were a testament to Elsie’s nurture, love and understanding of the needs of the young. They seized every opportunity to say how much they liked Miss Hawthorn and how much they missed her and Kingscliffe! I missed her greatly when she retired. Sadly, at the time, Elizabeth and I did not have a chance to fulfil a longstanding invitation to drink brandy with her on her veranda in Zimbabwe. It had become impossible for her to return. However, she did not retire entirely. She was invited (persuaded!) to do some temporary teaching for three weeks at St Aubyn’s Prep School in Rottingdean and stayed for three years! Therefore, full retirement did not commence until 1994 when she bought a house in Bembridge on the Isle of Wight and established firm friendships with numerous people there. Her walks along the beach, with her two beloved terriers, Posy and Katy, ensured that she met fellow dog owners on a regular basis since she was a stickler for routine. If she was not inviting people for meals, she was enjoying her lovely garden or reading autobiographies avidly, whilst at the same time taking a keen interest in the countries where she had taught during her long and distinguished career. Her beautifully composed letters were always a fascinating read.

It was a real delight to have lunch with her and her friends last August on the occasion of her eightieth birthday when, true to form, she was able to oversee the event to her satisfaction. This is how we shall remember her; she was a good friend to us all. Graham Brown David Clinch (S. 1964-69) died: 5th January 2008 David died on 5th January 2008 in the Royal Marsden Hospital leaving behind his wife Carol and two young daughters Olivia and Alice. David played frequently for the OBRFC and was a regular at CLOBS. After the the College he graduated from University College London and worked for many years in the property department of British Rail eventually joining Cadogan Estates where he was at his desk up to Friday 21st December before joining his colleagues in the pub for a Christmas drink... His father, Brigadier John Charles Clinch, CBE (S. 1935-40), died last year. David’s funeral was on Wednesday 16th January at Christ Church Raynes Park. John Polsue Major General E H W Grimshaw (G. 1925-29) Major-General Harry Grimshaw (below), who has died aged 96, won a DSO in Burma and saw repeated front-line service in a career which ranged from the North

West Frontier of India in 1932 to the Eoka operation in Cyprus in 1956. Grimshaw accompanied 161 Indian Infantry (Mechanised) Brigade (161B), part of 5th Indian Division, to Burma in 1943 and fought in the first successful operations against the Japanese in the Arakan. Hurriedly withdrawn from the front line, the brigade was flown to Dimapur on the northern front and held the Japanese at Kohima. During the siege, Grimshaw took command of 1st Battalion 1 Punjab Regiment (1/1PR) and they played a notable part in the fighting and in the pursuit of the Japanese 33rd Division in monsoon weather through the wild country to the Chindwin river. Awarded a DSO and promoted in the field by General Sir William Slim, he returned to 161B for the final advance to Rangoon. At the age of 33 he was one of the youngest brigade commanders. Ewing Henry Wrigley Grimshaw (always known as Harry) was born on June 30 1911 in India, where his father was serving with 1PR, and was educated at Brighton College and Sandhurst. He was commissioned into his father’s regiment in 1931 and up to the outbreak of the Second World War saw service in the tribal territories of the North West Frontier and later against terrorists in Bengal. He loved this period of his service when he was able to indulge his passion for fishing and biggame shooting in the Himalayas. In 1939 Grimshaw rejoined 1/1PR as adjutant and moved with the battalion to Iraq and then to Libya. Following the withdrawal to Gazala in 1941, his battalion transferred to 161 B and, after the final battle of El Alamein, he went to Burma with the brigade. After the Japanese surrender, Grimshaw accompanied the brigade to Java where trouble had broken out at Surabaya but he returned to India in 1946 and the next year went home to Ireland. He had had almost nine years’ continuous service overseas. When India gained its independence, Grimshaw transferred to The Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers and went with them to Malaya at the beginning of the campaign against the terrorists. In 1952 he commanded their 1st Battalion in the Canal Zone before taking them to Kenya to help put down the Mau Mau insurrection. In February 1954 a large terrorist gang entered the Fort Hall area where the battalion was stationed. Grimshaw ordered his men

to engage and pursue them and through his skilful control of the operation and the tenacity of his men, contact with the fugitives was maintained and the terrorists were virtually exterminated. A fortnight later, when a district officer was ambushed and killed near Battalion HQ, Grimshaw and three soldiers rushed to the scene to find a police inspector surrounded by insurgents and fire coming from the Home Guard post which they had captured. Armed only with a revolver, Grimshaw led a spirited four-man charge up the hill whereupon the terrorists, some 20 in number and well-armed, took to their heels. Grimshaw was appointed OBE. His next posting was to Northern Ireland as Chief of Staff but his tour was interrupted by the Suez crisis in 1956. At four days notice he took command of 19 Infantry Brigade, part of 3 Division, brought his battalions to battle-readiness and took them to Suez. He was the last British soldier to leave Port Said after handing over to the UN Force Commander. He was awarded a CBE for his part in the operation. In 1958 Grimshaw took his brigade to Cyprus, where it was deployed in the Limasol area in the hunt for the terrorist leader General Grivas. His final staff appointment was as Deputy Director of Movements at the War Office. In 1962 he became GOC 44 Division (TA) and Home Counties District; and he was appointed Deputy Chief Constable of Dover Castle, a post in which he served under Sir Winston Churchill. He was Colonel of The Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers from 1966 to 1968. In the latter year, when the Irish regiments amalgamated, he became Deputy Colonel of the Royal Irish Rangers. He was appointed CB in 1965. Harry Grimshaw died on November 1. He married, in 1943, Hilda Allison, who died in 1993. He is survived by a son and a daughter; his elder son, Colonel Ewing Grimshaw, died in 1996. Published with kind permission of the Daily Telegraph. Brigadier John (‘Johnny’) Charles Clinch, CBE (S. 1935-40) born: 15th August 1921 died: 23rd February 2007 Johnny Clinch was educated at Brighton College. He enlisted in the Corps shortly after the outbreak of the War and was com-

missioned in 1941. His first appointment was with 32 Guards Brigade, then in West Hampstead. He had a speedy introduction to operational communications, despatching a pigeon every Thursday destined for the Royal Signals pigeon loft in Horse Guards Parade in Whitehall. In 1942, 32 Guards Brigade joined the Guards Armoured Division and he remained in the Regiment until VJ Day, 15th August 1945, his 24th birthday. The Division landed in Normandy in June 1944 and was the first to reach and liberate Brussels on 4th September 1944. As he entered Brussels, an amateur photographer climbed on his jeep and the victorious entry was recorded on film. A copy is held by the Royal Signals Museum at Blandford. The Division then took part in operation ‘Market Garden’ which was the attack on Arnhem and is fully covered in the film, ‘A Bridge Too Far’. He was also involved in opening up Belsen. On VJ Day, Johnny was posted to the reformed 3rd Infantry Division tasked to invade Japan. Having been Adjutant of Guards Armoured Division Signal Regiment, he was made Adjutant of the newly formed 3 Division Signal Regiment. The Atomic Bomb had been dropped and the Division was now re-tasked with ‘keeping the peace’ in Palestine. Having served at regimental duty since commissioning, he was posted to HQ Palestine which was in the ill fated King David Hotel in Jerusalem. He then joined 4th Air Formation Signal Regiment commanding 1 Sqn at Ismalia in Egypt. In February 1947, the TA was reformed and he was fortunate to the posted to 43 Wessex Infantry Division Signal Regiment TA in Taunton. From there he went to the Combined Operations Centre at Fremington as an Instructor in the Signals Wing. It was here that he took part in a deep water project in a static water tank helped by another officer who was later to become Master of Signals. In 1955, after a posting to the Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst, as Chief Instructor of the Signals Wing, he was seconded to the Federation of Malaya Armed Forces and became OC 1 Malayan Infantry Brigade Signal Squadron, which was fully involved in the Malayan Emergency. He was also responsible for the communications for an independence ceremony in Kuala Lumpur in 1957. It was only recently that he received his medal for services in continued on page 18

Peter Rumney (H. 1937-39) As many Old Brightonians will be aware, Peter died on 2nd October 2007. His memorial service at Bishop Hannington Church on 10th October was attended by several hundred friends from Peter’s wide range of interests, a tribute to the affection and respect in which he was held. Peter himself had a long association with Bishop Hannington Church as a member of the welcoming team “meeting and greeting” members of the congregation as they arrived for services in his own inimitable way. A fine memorial service concluded with the Navy hymn “Eternal Father, strong to save” and then the singing of “Sussex by the Sea”, a song always associated with Peter, who would burst into song at the slightest opportunity. Inevitably Peter’s connection with the College and the OBA is remembered particularly through rugby, but his interests were far wider. He was a member of the OBA Committee for many years, served as Hon. Secretary, was elected a Vice-President and finally had a very successful three years as President. He was also a prominent member of the OB Lodge, being Master of the Lodge twice and an affectionate tribute was given to him by Chris Apps at the Lodge meeting on 11th January and members of the Lodge will know of his devoted service. Peter was at the College for a relatively short time and he then served in the Royal Navy during the Second World War. His rugby career started with Brighton Rugby Club when he was persuaded to join by

Basil Pett whom he had met in the Pacific Fleet in 1944. He became the Hon. Schools Secretary for the Club and later became a Vice-President. Peter took over the organisation of the teams for the OB Rugby games against the College, traditionally played at the end of the Christmas term, and in 1959 he re-formed the OB Rugby Club (the original Club at Chessington having closed down at the beginning of the War). He became Hon. Secretary and Fixture Secretary and the Club soon had a full fixture list and ran two XVs. On one occasion the Club put out four full XVs against the College. For the first few years matches were played over a wide area stretching from North London to as far west as Southampton and over the years there were also tours to the West Country and France. Peter particularly enjoyed the games against Old Boy sides or diverse teams such as United Services, Portsmouth, the Honorary Artillery Company, the BBC etc., and the feelings of friendship engendered thereby. Later the Club joined the Sussex Leagues and achieved some notable successes including the Sussex Cup competitions. Peter himself played for many years, usually as a hooker, and his voice could always be heard encouraging the forwards. His efforts to burrow into the opposition scrum to obtain the ball, at a time when hookers were permitted to swing on their props, led to some interesting front row situations. Peter later took up refereeing and his

interpretation of the laws was sometimes unconventional as was his occasional holding up of play to give an impromptu lecture on front row play to both sets of forwards! His refereeing might also be called brave as instanced when the OBs were leading 18-17 against Sussex Police and playing uphill on one of the sloping pitches at the New Ground and Peter blew very promptly for full time when the Police were pressing for a try about two feet from the OB line. It is impossible to over estimate Peter’s contribution to the Club as a player, Secretary, President, Sussex Rep., and just about everything else. He ran touch for continued on page 17

The U25 OBRUFC remember Peter before their recent match against Old Johnonians (see back page for a full report)

continued from page 16 several years, but this did not deter him from shouting encouragement to the OBs at the same time and Peter’s voice from the touchline was always heard often as a solo during quiet moments in the game. It was his energy and encouragement that kept the Club going for nearly fifty years, and he was always to be seen at training, even on cold winter evenings, welcoming players and joining them for a drink afterwards. He frequently sent out letters, in his characteristically large handwriting, continually putting forward ideas and it was as a result of his suggestions that the Under 21 side, which has been so successful in the Cronk Cunis National Under 21 Competition, was formed. Peter also played a prominent part in the Sussex Rugby Football Union. He was a member of the committee for 46 years. He was Hon. Secretary of the Fixture Bureau, Fixture Secretary, Selector, Martlets RFC Press & Publicity Officer, Hon. Secretary Youth, Press Officer and Hon. Secretary SRFU Coaching. He had a strong sense of humour and liked to enliven the many meetings he attended by asking provocative questions, whether strictly relevant to the matter in hand, or not. Peter was known throughout Sussex Rugby and was greeted as a friend by everybody. Extracting him from a club house after a game was never easy as he was always encouraged, without too much persuasion, to have a few more words and a glass of white wine with the many people who wished to speak with him. He was very deservedly elected a Life Member of the SRFU at the June 2007 AGM, which delighted him and he had planned a party to celebrate but sadly, his final illness prevented this being held. Although Peter was always a friendly and cheerful presence at matches, he nevertheless promoted high standards of behaviour and insisted that OB teams turned up on time and wore clean kit, that the touch judge had a flag and, above all, that the opposition teams were welcomed and looked after and that the referee was properly greeted, thanked and made to feel appreciated after a game. He could become impatient if he felt that things were not done in a way he thought proper, but because he was Peter, the recipient of a blast quickly forgave him. Being hospitable was a char-

Peter (front row, second from left) joins a rugby reunion on 22nd July 2007 acteristic of Peter. He was a great believer in parties as a means of strengthening the bonds between players. He also had a unique ability to be friendly to people of all ages, from young members of the College to parents or up to the President of the Rugby Union and he showed a real interest in everybody he met. He was a recruiter par excellence, and very persuasive and would not be put off by any initial rebuff from those he was trying to recruit. Peter was a genuinely kind person. He was concerned for others and enquired of their welfare and that of their family and friends and was the first to check that all was well and arrange a visit if a friend was ill or a player was injured. Peter had many other interests including opera and rowing. For many years the Rugby Club had its headquarters at the Brighton Cruising Club, under the promenade – a great attraction for teams from London – and this was one of the many things that Peter arranged and which has given the Club its special character. Above all, Peter was a family man and his family was what was most important to him. His dear wife, Mary, looked after him wonderfully, with calmness and good

humour throughout their long marriage, and she herself deserves a medal for her patience in dealing with the hundreds of telephone calls for Peter and the many other problems besetting those involved in organising rugby. Peter could not have been Peter and lived the happy life he did without her. He was very proud of his three daughters, Hazel, Sarah and Katy and of his grandchildren – he was devoted to them all. Peter was active to the end, attending a Royal Garden Party in the summer in recognition of his services to rugby and having the great joy of Katy’s wedding. Peter was a person of great loyalty to his family, to his friends, to the College, the OBA, the County and Clubs and teams with which he was associated and he inspired great loyalty in return. We will miss him.

Read tributes online at: rumney-001.html, and read the Lodge tribute on page 11

Pelican Magazine, March 2008 page 17

2008 Calendar February



8 16

Sept November

20 29

David Nash Exhibition in Burstow Gallery through to 7th March full details at: Windlesham School Reunion full details at: John Pope’s Retirement Rugby Match Curry lunch in the Café de Paris in the Back Quad Cash Bar from 2.30pm 12pm, Home Ground, BC FaceBook page at: 1998 Leavers Reunion Great Hall, BC Annual Dinner full details at:

Kingsford Scholarship Fund A big thank-you to all the Old Brightonians who have generously donated to the Kingsford Scholarship Fund following Philip Robinson’s appeal at the Annual Dinner in November. The scheme provides means-tested full boarding scholarships for bright talented pupils from East London to enjoy a Sixth Form education at the College. With the help of Old Brightonians, we hope to expand the scheme and enable more young men and women to come here - which seems a fitting tribute to a greatly respected teacher who has given so much of his life to motivating and encouraging generations of Old Brightonians to achieve their potential. obituaries continued from page 15 Malaysia. His next appointment was on the staff of CC Royal Signals, HQ 1 BR Corps in West Germany. After a short tour as second in command 1 Divisional Signal Regiment, he was selected to command Gurkha Signals in Malaya. He joined the widely deployed Regiment in October 1962 on the day the Borneo War started. In 1964 there was a requirement for SAS type patrols on the 1,000 mile mountainous frontier with Indonesia so a Gurkha Signals parachute squadron was formed and operated in Borneo. In June 1965, he left the Brigade of Gurkhas and rejoined the Brigade of Guards as CSO London District. Here he met many of his friends from the wartime Guards Armoured Division. In June 1966 he was promoted Colonel and posted to RAF Germany as CAFSO. In 1969 he formed 4 Signal Group with 16 and 21 Signal Regiment under command. In 1970 he was appointed Commandant, Army Apprentice College in Harrogate and

It is not too late for Old Brightonians to contribute. We would also welcome company donations and support from friends, family and neighbours. These funds are strictly channelled towards paying for the education of pupils who do have the ability to achieve great things but not the means to pay for a private education. If 150 Old Brightonians could afford £7 per month for 2 years we would be able to pay for another pupil to join us. Please feel free to complete and submit the form opposite - thank you...

in 1972 promoted to Brigadier to command 2 Signal Brigade in Aldershot. He was made CBE in January 1974. His last serving appointment was Vice President of the Regular Commissions Board, Westbury. He retired from the Army in August and joined ASVU (positive vetting). He retired for the second time in August 1986. In 1952, whilst at Sandhurst, he learnt to sail and took part in the long cruises to France each summer. He was later Commodore of the Port Dickson Sailing Club in Malaya. Also whilst at Sandhurst, he was tasked with re-establishing the Sandhurst Radio Club which has been dormant since the War. A visit to the RSG Woolwich soon got the callsign ‘G5PM’ on the air again and he has been licensed (G3MJK) since that time. He operated radio stations in Malaya, West Germany and the UK, and until his death, was Chairman of the Radio, Invalid and Blind Club. His other life long interests were game shooting and fly-fishing and he has been able to pursue these interests in all his

overseas postings. His retirement house in Hampshire is 12 miles from the River Test and the same distance from the Bramley Shoot which he ran and in the last few years acted as ‘picker-up’ with his faithful Springer Spaniel, Susie. He was the President of the Southampton branch of the Royal Signals Association, President of the local Royal British Legion branch, a supporter of the Village Neighbourhood Watch and an active contributor to all aspects of village life. In January 1947 he married his wife, Nan, who had been an ATS Officer serving with 3 GHQ Signal Regiment in Cairo. She sadly died in 1995. He is survived by his daughter, Angela, and son, David (S. 1964-69). Johnny always believed that luck was the main ingredient to a happy life.

More obituaries at: deaths_01.htm

Membership of the Association More than 3,000 men and women across the World belong to the Association of Old Brightonians, all with one thing in common - we have all attended Brighton College. Among our members you will find an amazingly diverse range of people. They include people in television, radio and theatre musicians, sportsmen and sportswomen, authors, explorers, artists and even a Druid. Of course, there are doctors, lawyers, bankers, business people and teachers, but also countless students and people taking gap years. Some of our members are old, many live abroad, and the majority are men because the College did not go fully co-educational until the 1980s, but in the OBA all members are treated with the same respect and all are equal. This is not the Old Boys Association, whatever you may have heard!

The Aims of the Association: To enable former pupils to keep in touch with one another the College and their former teachers. To provide regular social occasions, both formal and informal, and to help members who wish to organise their own events when possible. To support a wide range of clubs and societies, sports teams and activities which can be enjoyed by Old Brightonians. To help Old Brightonians to share their experiences and opportunities with one another. To strengthen the links between Brighton College and former pupils. If you’re not currently a member of the Association, it’s never too late to join! Simply download and complete the form from our website at membership_01.htm and return it to the OBA office.

THE SOAMES SOCIETY Brighton College is widely acknowledged as one of the UK’s leading coeducational schools. This has been achieved thanks to strong leadership, an outstanding body of staff and an innovative approach to the challenges of the 21st century while respecting our rich heritage. Unlike many independent schools, Brighton College does not have deep pockets nor a substantial investment portfolio to finance new facilities. Almost every new building in the College’s history has been paid for through the generosity of parents, former pupils or private trusts. After salaries and running costs, every penny from school fees is ploughed back into the existing fabric of the College estate. Many parents, former pupils and friends of the College wish to donate but are unable to offer large capital sums. The Soames Society enables people to contribute to capital projects, bursaries and refurbishment projects in a variety of ways, whether monthly, annually or in a lump sum. Members are kept fully informed of developments at the College and can specify where they would prefer their funds to be directed. Each year the Society will host two exclusive events for members – in May 2007 a reception at the House of Lords and later in the year a Black Tie Dinner to be held in Brighton. The membership of the Society is published on the Soames Society board in the Dawson Reception and in Development Office publications. However, we respect the wish of some members to remain anonymous. To become a member of the Soames Society donors pledge a minimum of £85 per month for 5 years, or a single payment of at least £5,000. Membership is valid for the duration of the pledge or if paid as a single sum, for 5 years. Other terms of payment are available on request and can be discussed with the Development Director in confidence Donors who are UK tax payers are invited to sign a Gift Aid form to increase the value of their donation by 28% at no additional cost to themselves – higher rate tax payers also receive additional tax relief when completing their self-assessment form. Overseas donors may be entitled to receive tax relief on their donations and should seek the advice of the Development Office. A donation form and brochure can be downloaded from the College website (

NB: The Association has started to engage our members through the fantastic FaceBook Community. We are mightily impressed by the capabilities of this online forum, and urge or entire membership to take a look; FaceBook serves as a professional and social network that is supremely easy to use and is a fabulous means by which to communicate with fellow OBs (as well with any usergroup with similar interests to you). Please bear in mind that the views and opinions contained within submissions from OB’s posted on this community forum do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of the OBA, Brighton College, or 3B Web Design, and that any of these organisations reserve the right to edit or exclude submissions. Moreover, we urge all FaceBook users to properly use the privacy settings within your FaceBook account. Find us at: php?gid=2215436334

College Squash Team 1956 Reunion Lunch Four members of the team gathered at Bangers Too, St Mary-at-Hill, in the City of London, on 30 November to celebrate 50 years having elapsed since they played together in the successful College team of 1956. Keith White (D. 1953-56) and Mike Tremellen (L/ C. 1961-56) both live in Plymouth, and see each other regularly, both as President and Hon. Secretary of Devon Squash respectively, and also as Jesters Club members involved in local matches, and in hosting International Jesters Touring Teams, which arrangements Keith has organised for many years. The other two players who were 1956 team members and attended the lunch were Richard Escott (S. 1951-57) and Malc Keith (S. 1952-57), who live in Surrey and Kent respectively. Neither had seen each other, or the “Plymouth Mafia”, since their schooldays The only 1956 team player who could not be contacted was John Smith, with whom Mike Tremellen had lost touch since they played each other at Wallingford in 1976. Strenuous efforts were made to contact John, unfortunately to no avail, so we were unable to field a full side for the lunch. Nevertheless the ambiance was most cordial, as the occasion was combined with the 50th year reunion lunch of the College 1ST XV of 1957, with both squash and rugby attendees sat at the same table.

Reunion of College Rugby players, 1953-57 Reunion of Rugby players, 1953-57 On 30th November some 15 OB’s from the 1953 to 1957 era who had played rugby together at school, or for the OBRFC met at Bangers Too in the City. The occasion was to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the School XV of 1957. Players from that XV who attended are Mike Wright (Captain), Graham Appleton, Gus Garwood, Tony (Tank) Merrifield and Harry Bourne. Mike travelled from Norway and Gus from Canada for the occasion! Right: Gus Garwood, Tony Merrifield (H. 1953-58), Mike Wright, Harry Bourne (D. 1954-58), Graham Appleton (D. 1953- 57) More reunion news at:

John Pope Retirement Rugby Match Sunday 16 March 2008 K.O. 2.30pm Brighton College Home Ground Cash Bar & Curry (£5 per person) after match in Café de Paris. Please let Fiona Aiken know for catering numbers if you want to book a curry. Tel: 01273 704250 or email: faiken@ Joey Appleton (D. 1979-84) writes: “I have been asked to organize the OBA team to play against JP’s Staff XV. Please can you help me to send Popie off in style, remember he has given all of you so much of his time while you played at the college? All who have a bone to pick with him over fitness sessions may have a chance to knock

him over if you can catch him. Are you fit enough; he still cycles to school each day. Anyone who has been in a mini bus with him knows why!! Also chance to get at the other staff that may have given you something to remember and hold a grudge. Email me back joeyappleton@eggnet. if you can play or help me organize the team. Would be nice to have training session a week or so before the game. What about Wednesday 5th or 12th march at the college (beers after of course). Let me know your thoughts.” There are more details on the FaceBook event page at: event.php?eid=19161403696

Pelican Magazine, March 2008 page 21

John Heal hangs up his boots John Heal (D. 1982 - 1985) was one of the founding members of the OB Football Club and has been a key member of the team over the last twelve years since the clubs formation, as well taking a primary role in the Club’s administration having been the Club Secretary for 7 of those years. It was therefore with great sadness that John’s announcement to hang up his boots was received. John had these words to say: I am going to be 39 in February and the thought of chasing 17 year old Olympic standard sprinters down the wing on a Sunday morning doesn’t really appeal to me much any more. Also the lack of opportunities (due to family and work commitments) to actually get on the pitch and get some regular playing time means that my once colossal levels of fitness (!) has no chance of being reached again. I have had some fantastic times playing for the OB’s over the last 12ish years, including winning 2 Sussex cup finals, being pro-

moted from Division 8 to the heady heights of the Premier Division and of course the legendary European tour to Madrid. I have met and played with some great players and friends in that time. I suppose when you cross that white line the level of camaraderie is the closest our generation will ever get to the Trenches!! I would like to thank all my team mates (in particular my co-founders Paul and David Lawrence and Alex Tasker and a special mention for oh Captain, my Captain Ryan Heal, whose phenomenal levels of passion for the game always demonstrated what OB’s football should always be about) with whom it has been an absolute pleasure to grace the boggy pitches of Sussex and I wish you and the team all the success you deserve in the future. The OBAFC would like to thank John for all his commitment and effort over the years both on and off the pitch. More news at: football_01.htm

Sport in brief The OBAFC are very pleased to welcome their new sponsors Flude Commercial. Flude Commercial was established by Old Brightonian Edward Flude in 1996, and is now one of the region’s leading firms dedicated to the provision of commercial property agency and professional services. A big thank you goes out to them for their support (and our new kit!!). Hopefully this will be the inspiration that the team needs to lift some more silverware this season!

We are looking for a shirt sponsor for the OBRUFC this year - most especially for the twice victorious (Cronk Cunis National Tournament) U21’s. If you’d like to see your company name emblazoned across the chests of “Hugo’s Hooligans” (as well as those of the Vets... and at all matches played this year... and on this website!), then just drop us a line... Call Alex Bremer on 0845 450 5968 (or email to for full details...

Old Boy Jordan Turner Hall was named in the England Under 20 squad of 22 for their opening game of the season at Gloucester on Friday, February 2, 2008. The game against Wales was the first of a full Six Nations programme and part of the build-up to the IRB Junior World Championships in June.

continued from page 23

So the final whistle went, the throngs of supporters melted slowly away into the suburbs of Hove and the OB’s and OJ’s shook hands at 12 - 12, a fitting end to a magic day. Players of special merit were far too frequent, but I would like to say a big thank you to Tom Hayward for stepping in out of position at scrum half, Dan Heal for all the grit and spirit he always shows and a massive show of appreciation to Tom Aiken and Kit Barker who I thought had superb games at 10 and 12. Man of the match is shared between flanker Harvey Strudwick and centre Ally Esmaelli. Tim Loadsman and John Aiken were again bricks in helping to organise and Alex Yeo was a 1st rate number 8 and vice captain.

So finally I would like to dedicate this game and the fine spirit it was played in and the excellent support given by all to Peter Rumney, one of mine, the club’s and rugby’s good friends and most loyal of supporters.

story crisis, with marble entrance, large oak doors and a large neon sign outside saying, ‘This is a Crisis’! But like the Desert Rats at Tobruk or the 24th foot at Rorke’s Drift we knew how to battle back from the brink. Myself and Alex Yeo smashed the ball into the enemy’s ranks several times, Dan Heal and James Canneaux using their power to clean men clear off their feet in the rucks, with stealthy hands in the back the ball was whizzed out to the ever announcing Ally Esmaelli, like a rat out of a drain pipe the stocky centre burrowed his way through tackles to touch down in the corner, Dan Silver a kicking supremo very nearly converting the impossible kick out wide.

Here’s to you Peter. Pictures: back page top: James Baldwin; back page bottom: James Baldwin, Alex Yeo and Chris Canneaux and Hugo Baldwin (tackling); opposite top: Back row: James Baldwin, Dane Heal, Dan Silver, Joe Broun, Hugo, Kit Barker, Alex Keighly, Jamie Aiken, Front Row: Alex Yeo, Tom Le Mehute, Ally Esmaelli, Harvey Strudwick, Tom Aiken; opposite bottom: Alex Yeo.

continued from back page... of our illustrious institution, thus we girded our loins and donned battle dress. Alex Broun nearly put on a dress before hooker and pack leader Dan Heal pointed out that it was merely a figure of speech (and despite it complimenting Alex’s earrings and remarkable tan for mid winter, it might look a bit odd), and that incidentally Jamie Aiken wasn’t a figure of speech he was in fact a person. Having warmed up and run our lineout’s, double dummy scissor pops and blind side number eight pick ups we took to the field against a band of Old Johnonians (Hurspierpoint Old Boys) RFC boys that looked not to dissimilar to a collection of fairytale monsters, we counted at least twenty that could have easily body doubled for Shrek, but with courage in our hearts and my excellent morale boosting speech in our heads we lined up in two silent columns of infantry to commemorate Peter Rumney’s passing just a few months prior. It was a pertinent moment, and you could hear a pin drop around the ground despite a crowd of nearly 400 spectators, here’s to Peter, a legend of not only of the OB but Sussex rugby as well, a good egg and thoroughly descent human being. The game started at an immense tempo, the tackles flew in harder than I could ever have imagined, hits rattled teeth and blood gushed from open wounds. The Hurst scrum was strong, and they locked horns with the maroon and blues like two hoards of bison, steam rising from the taut bulk muscles of the front three, sinews straining

on the athletic back rows. For the first time the OB’s pack, now minus such monsters as Matt Berry and Ben Maidment through sickness and county duty were up against superior fire power up front, yet they held firm. With the battle upfront roaring along, the backs set about picking their lines, coordinating daring raids over the turquoise pickets and using skill and finesse to woo the sizable female support on the side lines. James Baldwin, Tom Hird and Will Murrills our flyers looked the very picture of a modern day back three, tall, taut and more like 100 meters sprinters than the stringy ten stone characters of yesteryear. Yet despite their surging, majestic runs and Kamikaze style tackling with the 1st third of play drawing to a close Hurst struck a deserved blow, following a continued amount of pressure in the OB’s 22, they

failed to convert the extras, but we went into the second third a try down and needing to make replacements. The second third was a completely different affair, we camped on the Old Johnian line, Dan Heal, Alex Yeo and Harvey Strudwick battering open holes for the flighty loose forwards of Rupert Baldwin and Chris Canneaux to dazzle with their ball skills (Rupert even putting in a cheeky grubber kick or two). Joe Broun went agonisingly close to touching down before minutes later outside centre Ally Esmaelli, dissecting the line more precisely than an open heart surgeon with his scalpel, glided under the sticks, Tom Hayward adding the extras. The OB’s were clearly in the ascendancy with us dominating our own lineout possession and disrupting most of Hurst’s. Kit Barker was putting a masterful display at fly half, it was clinical, majestic and at some points almost divine in his precision kicking, tactical astuteness and boyish cheek, whilst Tom Aiken, the team’s Saracens RFC star was showing his true international class as the main pivot of all our attacks. The final third continued much like that of the second, Hurst’s pack melting with their only real dynamism coming from the surging runs of their goliath like lock and nimble outside centre. Yet despite having inserted the scourge of the seven seas Jamie Aiken into the fray making bone crunching wallops and booms, Julian Withers style the Hurst boys stuck a swizz of a try late on. The score board took a turn for the worse, 12 - 7, this was a crisis, in fact if you have a moment this was a twelve continued on page 22 Pelican Magazine, March 2008 page 23

John Heal hangs up his soccer boots page 18

Pelican sport U25’s Battle Back from the Brink by Hugo Baldwin (S. 1999-03) It was a crisp blue December morning that I awoke to on that famous day of the 27th. The sky blue canopy stretched over the farmhouse and melted away into an almost white distance. Scraggy, skeletal looking conifers, stripped of their summer bulk stuck out, dark, jagged and deathly amidst the pure colours above, whilst the ever greens stood rigidly to attention like half cut guardsmen, swaying gently from side to side in the faint north easterly breeze. Two greyish brown rabbits hopped lackadaisically across the lush green paddock below, glinting from the morning glow; I fetched my air rifle. I was just starting to contemplate what a lovely post Boxing Day morning it was

Sports news: pages 18 and 19

despite having missed two sitters with the gun when a car crackled up the gravel drive and screeched to a halt, out stepped the burley, barrel chested figure of OB’s No.8 Alexander Yeo. He began bellowing like an RSM at changing of the guard for the Baldwins to be down and in his car in 5 minutes or he would disembowel the whole regiment. Knowing Mr Yeo to be a man of his word we scrambled into the Millennium Falcon (his car) like a scene reminiscent of pilots in the Battle of Britain dashing to stationary Spitfires and Hurricanes. By mid morning we were at Hove RFC club house and joined by my motley band of Hooligans, a swarthy band of undergraduates, graduates and masters alike, but all old boys continued on page 23

The Pelican, no. 23, 2008  
The Pelican, no. 23, 2008