Page 1

Page 2


Welcome to the latest issue of The Pelican, now in full colour and packed with news and reports, plus details of the many celebrations we have planned for our 125th anniversary year – including the return of the Commemoration Weekend! Following the sell-out Annual Dinner in 2006, which was addressed by Ann Widdecombe, this year’s Guest of Honour is none other than Philip Robinson. Known and loved by generations of OBs for his dry wit, his masterful direction of College theatre (often as part of the hugely successful Smith-Robinson partnership), and for gently pushing many a lazy student towards exam success, it is no wonder that a quarter of the tickets have been sold already. It’s going to be a night of nostalgia with the Class of 1987 already booked and several other year groups reestablishing contact with one another. My strong advice is book early and drag your mates along too! The London Drinks have been working really well at our new venue, kindly sponsored by Duncan Watts (R. 197984) who owns the highly successful Rocket brand of upmarket bar-restaurants in London. The next one is on 20 March, no tickets required. On 25 September we launch the Old Brightonian Pioneers Luncheon which will be held at one of Hove’s best kept secrets, Harry’s Restaurant. It’s open to all OBs over 60 – and their pals – and we really hope it will be the start of a new tradition in the OBA calendar. Join us! For younger OBs there will be a gathering at The Brunswick in Hove. Details are being sent out separately but do look at the website which will be updated very soon. And so to Commemoration Weekend. This has been reinstated thanks to the Headmaster who responded to the OBA’s desire to welcome the Leavers at the very point they become OBs. For the first time the OBA will host a reception after the Graduation Ceremony on 30 June. That evening a magnificent Ball will be held at Brighton Race Course to which all OBs, their family and friends are warmly invited, along with Leavers and their families. It will be a fantastic event and quite different to the occasions we remember in the Great Hall on campus. The following day will see a Barbeque on the Home

NEWS IN BRIEF... London is preparing itself for the sight of our President, David Gold, parading late night through the streets dressed in a bra and inappropriate shoes. Whilst this is considered quite normal attire for many OBs who ought to know better, our otherwise lugubriously-dressed leader will be so garbed to take part in this year’s Playtex Moonwalk on Saturday 19 May 2007, for which we invite the support of all OBs. To sponsor David in his endeavours, please visit, where you can donate using your credit or debit card, and claim GiftAid on the charities behalf.

Ground (OBs are welcome to bring their own picnics), complete with Beer and Pimms tent and the traditional First X1 match against the OBA. Tours of the campus will be conducted by Prefects and there will also be Water Polo and Tennis among other attractions. It is hoped there will be a Music Recital in The Hordern Room and an exhibition from the College Archives. Please support these events. The Headmaster often tells me how impressed he is by the numbers of OBs who care so much about their old school and return either to the school or the many other events which take place over the year. If you haven’t been back for a while and curiosity is tempting you, give in. A warm welcome awaits you and we would be delighted to see you.

David Gold (S. 1986-91) OBA President PS: Thanks to the many Old Brightonians who send me their news, opinions, photos, memories, and yes, their moans and groans! Keep them coming – email me directly at dgold@brightoncollege.

NEWSFLASH: Commemoration Day Sat. 30 June 2007 The Headmaster has kindly agreed to the reinstatement of Commemoration in the College calendar, the first time it will take place for some years and seems a fitting way to celebrate the Association's 125th Anniversary. Details are still being finalised but the new format will incorporate the Graduation Ceremony for members of the Upper Sixth and their families, thus allowing the OBA to officially welcome this year's leavers into the Old Brightonian fold. The day will conclude with a fantastic Ball at the Brighton Race Course to which all Old Brightonians are invited with their families and friends. The programme is likely to begin with a Chapel Service led by the College Chaplain and attended by the Upper Sixth and their families. Lunch will be served in the College Dining Room and tours will be available of the College. The Graduation Ceremony is held in the afternoon and will be followed by a Reception hosted by the OBA before the Leavers have the traditional photograph on the Bursar's Lawn. The Ball, which will be Black Tie and includes a Champagne reception, three course meal and wine, and dancing until Midnight, will commence at 7pm. Tickets to the Ball are priced at £75 which is the actual cost charged by the venue. This is not a profit-making event for the Association or the College! Tickets are available individually or as a group booking but with limited availability we urge strongly that you purchase them quickly. This will be a very special occasion and a wonderful opportunity to bring young and old(er) OBs together with parents, teachers and friends. commemoration_day_2007_01.htm


MESSAGES... Class of 75 at 50 - The Reunion Saturday 9th June 2007 by Richard Brightwell (A. 1970-75) I know it’s hard to believe but time appears to have finally caught up with us, as we are all about to, or have, hit the dreaded half century. I thought this would be an appropriate time to get together again and re-live shared memories, maybe lie about how we don’t really miss our hair (or our waistline) or indeed even our memory! It will also be an opportunity to meet again those who endeavoured to teach us; a number of whom ARE still there- take a bow Messrs Smith, Robinson, Pope and Smyth. Invitations are also being extended to Bill Blackshaw, John Page, Peter Perfect, Lance Barber, Peter Ridler, Fred Hankins, David Hollinshead, Richard Wolley, Rodney Fox, Tony Whitestone, David Palmer, John Griffin, Nick Bremer, Peter Withers, Francis Walker and Chris O’Connell. Please come and join us-don’t be put off by thoughts that it will be about people "blowing their own trumpets" - this doesn’t happen; the reunions I have attended are all about "Do you remember when..." but the success depends on you turning up. Also, if you are in touch with anyone, do let them know and persuade them to attend as well. I also promise that the day is not in any way about fund raising, just sharing old times and memories. In 2000 over 70 people, attended a 1970s Rugby Reunion-it

even resulted in a wedding-lets see what happens this time!The Reunion will be at the College on Saturday 9th June. The cost for lunch will be £15 per head and there will be a cash bar running throughout the day. Tickets can be obtained from the OBA Office at the College Eastern Road Brighton BN2 0AL, with cheques payable to the OBA. Full details: http:// class_of_75_at_50_2007_01.htm Sophia Stuart (F. 1985-87) writes: "In my travels I lost my school photograph (the whole school one) from 1986 and wondered how I might find a replacement. If anyone has a spare one (or would let me pay the cost of getting a copy and sent to the USA) I'd love them to contact me on my home email:" Ian Screech (D. 1958-62) writes: “I am trying to contact George Price (D. 196064). I ask him to contact me by email:”.

Messages can be left for fellow OBs at: community_noticeboard_01.htm

Page 3

Phoebe gives Sir Andrew a double take. Eagle eyed OBs (such as our President) will have spotted Phoebe Haines (W. 2004-06) competing on the BBC1’s talent show "How Do You Solve A Problem Like Maria?" Phoebe was filmed as she graduated to a group of 50 (from an original 6,000 entrants) to be tutored by Zoe Tyler at "Maria School," and was one of only 10 chosen to perform before Andrew Lloyd Webber! During filming Phoebe’s uncanny resemblance to Sir Andrew’s former wife, Sarah Brightman, caused a double take or three – not least from Lloyd Webber himself! Sadly Phoebe did not progress beyond this stage, but to have got as far as she did is a remarkable achievement and bodes well for her future singing career; "I thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience," said Phoebe, "Zoe Tyler and Andrew Lloyd Webber were very nice indeed and very helpful." Phoebe is now studying Voice at the Royal College of Music. haines_01.htm

NEWS FROM OLD BRIGHTONIANS... The Reverend Canon Richard N. Stranack (H. 195559)Having 'retired' from the Parishes of Stratton and Launcells, in North Cornwall, I am currently doing parttime 'House-for-Duty' in the four small Parishes of Duloe, Herodsfoot, Morval and St Pinnock. My wife, Penny, and I hope to retire more completely in 2008. When I was the Parish Priest at Par, Cornwall, some years ago, Tony Lucock [L. 1996-60] lived nearby. His attendance as the top local Photographer raised the tone of many a Wedding! The only other OB I have seen in recent years (apart from my brother David) is a contemporary of mine, John Batty. I did meet two young Brightonians, James and Alex Manzoor, who were attending a family Wedding at Morval last summer. Tom Freije (S. 1997-02) Tom got a 2.1 in History and Politics in Oxford where he was made a scholar of his college. He also captained the Oxford boxing team for two years, was awarded his blue and won the British University Championships at middleweight last year. He is currently working for six months for the New York Stock Exchange in London.

Paul Forte (A. 1976-81) After 16 years here, I have just completed my first term as Acting Headmaster of Windlesham House School. This is a temporary position until September, when I'll revert to being Deputy Head. Sorry to have missed the November reunion - will do better next time. Currently living in Steyning outside term time. Hobbies include flying and playing the saxophone, skiing and the very occasional game of squash. The Heal Dynasty Brothers James (R. 1993-98), Ryan (R. 1989-94), John (D. 1982-85), Sean (R. 1985-90) and cousin Dan Heal (R. 1990-95) scaled Ben Nevis in Scotland and Mount Snowdon in Wales within 24 hours on 26th August to raise money for a children's hospital. They hope to raise at least £12,000 for the Royal Alexandra Children's Hospital in Brighton, which will include money to buy a food labelling machine for children with eating disorders and allergies. The family took on the challenge because John's

three year old son, Jake, suffers from Prader-Willi Syndrome - a rare genetic condition where the brain does not tell the stomach that it is full up. You can still sponsor the family by e-mailing

Dan Baldock (L. 1987-92) Living in Wellington, New Zealand with Kirstie (the wife)and 2 kids Ruby and Seamus. Working for Fosters Group and enjoying the wine beer etc! Hi to all from 87-92 time hope you are all having fun!!! More news at: pelnews_2006.htm

Page 4


LONDON DRINKS Tuesday, 9th January 2007 report by Guy Bradshaw (R. 1979-84) "Come along, it will be great!" If I have heard it once, I have heard it... oooohhh... 7 or 8 times. This time I did come along and, do you know what, it was good. Damn good. In fact the only negative about the evening was the fact that even more didn’t turn up. Despite some shocking directions, I arrived fashionably late at Duncan Watts' (R. 1979-84) Rocket, EC2, wine bar and restaurant and found myself having to excuse my way through some still fit members of the 1955 1st XV, as one of their number, Graham Appleton (D. 1953- 57), held court. Gradually, more and more turned up and the chatting groups became more eclectic, as OBs of all ages reminisced about their school years and filled in the listeners on what they have been doing since. The occasion didn’t turn into cliquey male groups standing at the bar discussing the state of English Rugby, Cricket, Soccer (the list goes on), as I am sure some people imagine the evening turning out. In fact it was a very social evening of Old Girls and Boys enjoying the company of people with whom they had something in common.

Joey Appleton (D. 1979-84) and Dan Gorton (D. 1981-86)

The list of attendees spanned the years, from the ‘50s (Michael Bishop (C. 1960-65), ‘Spud’ Murphy (H. 1954-57) and Appleton Snr.), to a 2001 leaver; the ironically named Rob Older (R. 1996-01). Matt McCabe (1977-82) took the evening’s prize for sharing the occasion of his wife’s birthday, with both of them popping into the Bar to join us on the way upstairs to the restaurant. Happy Birthday Louise! There was a strong Ryle House contingent, from Andy Watts (H/R. 1975-80), our host Duncan Watts, Ben Stott (R. 1979-84, visiting from New Zealand), Alex Bremer (R. 1979-83) and myself. Other attendees included Appleton Jr. (H. 1979-84), Adam Goldman (D. 1979-84), Tony Harris (D. 1981-86), Matt Quarendon (A 1985-87), Dan Gorton (D. 1981-86) and, of course, the ever-present President, David Gold (S. 1986-91). The evening disintegrated naturally; although there was great concern when Danny Gorton (D. 1981-86 - a man for whom we had previously had the utmost respect), left in some haste in order to get home in time for Celebrity Big Brother. I am told he was quite different at College. He was last to be heard chanting "It’s great; you don’t know what you are missing." Long may it remain so.

The next London Drinks:

a herd of 1984 leavers

The majority of the remaining congregation later repaired to a local purveyor of Asian cuisine (I believe the saying has it... "When 3 OBs shall gather together, so shall they go for a Ruby". Or something to that effect.) And so it was that a quorum found itself at a London Bridge curry house - in fact the London Bridge Curry House possibly the dampest curry house in London Bridge. For me the evening ended as I charged to London Bridge to head home to the Country, leaving behind my friends, both old and new, as well as the remains of my nuclear-coloured curry. A very good night - only to be bettered by the next "great London drinks event", at which I hope to meet more of my fellow OBs. A notable apologist was our dear friend Kevin ‘Pants’ O’Mahony (R. 1979-84), to whom we send good thoughts as he deals with his father’s illness. Adam Goldman (H. 1979-84) writes: "Expanding waistlines and receding hairlines ... although not me, obviously. It can only be the OBA London drinks on 9th January, graciously hosted by Duncan Watts at his new restaurant and bar in the City. This was a most enjoyable evening, very relaxed and friendly, and it was particularly good to catch up with those in my year whom I had not seen for many years - Ben Stott (mid-way through a mouth-watering career break from the Beeb!), Guy Bradshaw and Joey Appleton. Also Andrew Watts, Duncan's brother, who may last have seen me as a 9 year old! It was a further surprise and pleasure to find John Polsue there, a former colleague with whom I had lost contact. I would wholeheartedly encourage other OB's to come along to future events, even if you can only spare enough time to show your face and say "Hi"." Full story and photos: http:// london_drinks_090107_01.htm

Rachel Smith (F. 1998-90) & Dr. Ayan Panja (H.1986-91)

20th March 2007 So successful was our last meeting at Rocket (City) that we're going back there in March for another reunion! Duncan Watt's (R. 1979-83) new City restaurant is a terrific venue, and we're very keen to see as many OB's from the London's "Square Mile" as possible, as well as the rich and varied crowd that these evenings so often offer up… Mr. Lanyon - we'll make sure the music is turned down a bit, and Messrs. Bradshaw and Appleton - we'll find a different curry shop this time… Rocket Restaurants Adams Court Old Broad Street London EC2N 1DX T: 020 7628 0808

OB DAY - 16TH SEPTEMBER 2006 report by Alex Bremer (R. 1979-83) Attendance at these things seem so often to be reliant on the weather, and this year the sun certainly appeared to have delivered a good assortment of OBs to the College on a glorious September morning. The day began with the traditional chapel service. In normal circumstances I’m not one to take up too much of our Lord’s valuable time, but thanks to the deft persuasive charms of OBA President, David Gold, I had agreed to attend the service. Fellow attendees were evenly but randomly dispersed throughout the chapel, and their reluctance to move (at the invitation of both Father Robert Easton and our President) towards the centre pews suggested that they, like me, had found their old places and were jolly well staying put for old times sake! Whilst I’m reluctant to suggest that my soul has now been thoroughly cleansed (despite a confessional that had me giggling out loud - much to the disapproval of nearby fellow worshippers), I must say that I’m very glad I attended; the chapel is a familiar building to all OBs - somewhere we could all take a moment’s refuge from the impending daily academic onslaught that awaited every boy and girl.

David and Stella Grigor with Simon Smith

Having absolved us of all our sins, Father Robert gave a heart-felt and well received welcome and blessing. The Headmaster, Richard Cairns, and David Gold read appropriate favourites from the good book, and with a rousing rendition of "Jerusalem" we were despatched back into the sunshine. The throng grew significantly as we gathered in the Café de Paris for coffee and biscuits. Joyce Heater had again put together a fantastic display from the

Page 5 College archives - a truly fascinating exhibit that covered all the years of those present. It was here that the invited past Masters and Headmasters began to arrive; John Griffin (Head of English, 1972-76), Richard and Isobel Wilmott (English Dept & Fenwick House), my father, Nick Bremer (Director of Art, 1969-2000), Bill and Elizabeth Blackshaw (Bill Blackshaw - Headmaster 1971-87), John and Rosamund Leach (John Leach - Headmaster, 1987-97), Rev Canon C J (Bill) Peters (Chaplain, 1950-69), David and Stella Grigor (former Chaplain) - joined by the much loved Reg Spicer (former Head Porter). All seemed genuinely delighted and moved to see each other again; greeted as they were so warmly by present incumbents, Richard Cairns, Simon Smith, Philip Robinson, Derek Roberts, Robert Easton, John Page, Steven Radojcic et al. Photo opportunities abounded - not least a shot of three generations of Chaplains! How is it that our old masters seem to march on continued on page 7...

OBA ANNUAL DINNER 2006 report by John Aiken (A. 1976-81) What an evening! If you don't believe me then just take a look the ‘photos on this website, you will see plenty of animated smiling faces which, for me, sums up the purpose of events like this. Mind you with a combination of Ann Widdecombe as guest speaker, over 150 guests and a large contingent of 1981’ers what more could one expect? The evening opened with drinks in the Burstow Gallery with the added bonus of an opportunity to meet Ann Widdecombe and buy one of her signed books. This proved to be very popular and Ms.Widdecombe has kindly donated profits from the sales of her books on the evening to the OBA. We then moved through to the Great Hall and enjoyed a meal and the opportunity to catch up with old friends. Having shared several anecdotes and exchanged the standard pleasantry of ‘’Good Lord you haven’t changed a bit’’ ,although I do suspect our eyesight has!, we were treated to speeches from Richard Cairns, David Gold, Ann Widdecombe and Adrian Underwood (Head Boy 1981). I have to say Ann Widdecombe stole the show for me, having looked after her earlier in the evening I had already had a small insight into what an intelligent and witty woman she is. This part of the evening then closed with a presentation from our President to Tony Whitestone on the occasion of his retirement, as one

would expect Tony’s response was witty but also very moving and Tony summed up in his speech his affection for Brighton College. The evening was a great success and gave me the opportunity to meet up with old friends,

Justine Tate. Philip Robinson (Director of Studies) and Carrie England (F. 1982-84)

members of staff (most notably Bill & Elizabeth Blackshaw, Simon Smith, Tony Whitestone and Phillip Robinson). The mix of Brightonians (old and new), staff and parents guarantees the success of events like this and so, if you have not attended an OBA event before make sure you do in the future.

Full story: http:// annual_dinner_2006_01.htm

Guest of the Association, Tony Whitestone (staff, 19712006) writes: "I would very much like to thank the Association for the warmth of the reception you gave me at the annual dinner in November, as well as for the generous gift of an inscribed silver wine coaster. Whenever I use it in the future, which will be often, I hope, I will be reminded of the splendid OB dinner, the many other OB functions I have had the pleasure of attending and, of course, the very many of you I have known over my years at the College. With many thanks and best wishes to the Old Brightonian Association." Ann Widdicombe's novels We have a very limited number of Ann's novels (all signed) available to buy through the OBA, with all profits (35% of sale price) kindly donated to the Association.The books are available through the website at £17.95.


Page 6 by Ernest L French (C. 1939-44) In August 1939 I had already got my uniform to go to King's College, Wimbledon, when my parents decided that war was imminent and that I should become a boarder at a school not close to London. I arrived at Chichester House, Brighton College, a very few days after war was declared. Apart from drawing thick 'black out' curtains at dusk things were pretty much normal. I had to 'fag' for a couple of senior boys who had a study called 'hell', just inside the door from the quad. This entailed lighting their fire, running messages, dubbing their football boots, blancoing and cleaning the brass on their OTC uniforms. Prefects could beat with a slipper for minor offences. During the Battle of Britain classes were held in rooms under the Hall. When the 'all clear' was sounded we emerged to see the sky streaked with vapour trails made by Spitfires, Hurricanes and Messerschmitts. At night, when their was an air raid alarm, most of the boys slept in the basement under Chichester House. A few of the younger boys slept under the dining room table in the Housemaster's side of the House. Senior boys, together with a master,

patrolled the grounds and buildings on the lookout for incendiary bombs. In 1941 the Engineering Tuition Workshop was put to use making munitions. We each did a two hour

shift, two or three times a week. There were occasions when we had a whole day away from school on a farm picking sugar beet or planting potatoes. Soon after the outbreak of war the OTC (Officer Training Corps) became the Junior Training Corps,

which was later supplemented by the Air Training Corps. There was a Brighton College Home Guard platoon in which I rose to the dizzy heights of Lance Corporal. By the time I was old enough to join the Home Guard the threat of invasion had passed but there was still a possibility of commando type raids being made on our coast. We practised firing live ammunition at a range at the back of Roedean School, which had been taken over by the Royal Navy. Despite the interruptions to a normal school routine I, like most of my contemporaries, got a reasonable Oxford & Cambridge School Certificate; some got Higher Certificates. As soon as I could I joined the Army. By the time I had completed my training the war was over but I did serve for a short time in India, in what is now Pakistan. ernest_french_01.htm

MEMORIES OF BRIGHTON COLLEGE JUNIOR SCHOOL by Andrew "Tigger" Gray (BCJS. 1968-72, B.1972-75) I have just been led down memory lane by Martin D.J.Buss! I, too, went to BCJS 1968-72. The uncanny thing about reading his article is that many of the same teachers / Head Master were there when I arrived! I have often thought that there was a lack of interest in the JS yet the Senior School would have been NOTHING without us Junior School graduates! Inspired by Buss, in the near future, I will write my own memoirs of the BCJS. I'd also like to encourage Fiona to create a BCJS forum /corner / emailcenter type spot on the Pelican website. That way we can develop some more contacts and share the memories. One quick one whilst I have a minute: The air-raid shelter was still there in the late 60's and it was the case that when we were in Dorm 2, on the top floor of the main building, one of the dares for the new dorm 2 boys was to go down to the shelter at midnight and bring something back. Some of my dorm 2 mates were Tim T.P. Smith, Geoff Bailey, Spiro, Simon Bannister (Nephew of Roger, or so he said) A.G.D. Sinclair, Paul Mendoza. Anyway, a couple of us

planted some "tuck" from the sweet shop in the air-raid shelter during the day and then recouped these treasures and brought them back to the dorm for all to enjoy as a midnight feast! You might ask why the prefect allowed this to happen. Well, it was the bribe of the tuck being free to him, and a boat-load at that, which enabled him to turn a blind eye as long as we were not caught. All was honky-dory right through the scoffing of the fruits of our endeavour. However, when the sugary sweets got to our hyperactive brains, we could no longer keep the noise down and thus Mr. Rendall (Apparently a Scotsman) came storming in from his office next door and demanded to know what was going on. No one uttered a word as the snickering slowly died down we could hardly contain ourselves. Muttering something about giving us a good hiding Rendall started to leave. Considering we had ultimately escaped with the whole dare and eaten our bounty to boot, all we had to do was shut up and go to sleep. BUT NO! As the

Memories of the College and Prep School The OBA is particularly keen to hear from OBs who wish to share their recollections and stories with us. We know the membership appreciates enormously the tales of deeds derringly done as well as the photos regularly sent in to us.—all of which are published on the website and in its gallery pages.

We also wonder whether it isn’t time we had a BCJS reunion (has there ever been one?). We invite interested parties to come forth and volunteer to organise something. AS with all reunions, the services of the OBA office are at your disposal.

door was about to close, ensuring the dastardly deed was accomplished scot-free (pun intended), Tim Smith blurts out with a full gutteral braun, "Hoots- man!" To which, Rendall flings the door back open, flicks on all the lights, narrows his glare to the general vicinity from which the offensive exclamation came, and blares out, "GIT OUT OF BED IMMEDIATELY, IF YOU KNOW WHAT'S GOOD FOR YOU!" Nobody moved an inch. Rendall, sensing that Smith was the one, yanks him out of bed, at the same time taking off one of his size 11 plimpsoles, and whacks him six times. Neddless to say the snickering ceased and Tim braved the onslaught with nary a tear or wimper. I remember waking up the next morning to a pillow of melted chocolate that I hadn't dared to eat or move that also smeared my left cheek and hair! junior_school_tiger_01.htm

Page 7

OB DAY REPORT - continued from page 5 year after year seemingly untouched by the ravages of age? Simon Smith appears now just as he did alongside Philip Robinson in an old black and white archive photo on display in the café, and whilst Philip himself has aged a little, he looks better and fitter now than any of us can remember. Likewise the good Rev. Grigor, who must have made a more diabolic pact than his profession would suggest; I’ll be damned if he’s changed a jot in the 25 odd years since I last saw him! His appearance is matched by his youthful and agreeable disposition - a real delight to meet the man again after so long. John Griffin and Nick Bremer arrived like two mischievous miscreants (sporting a pink shirt and a cravat respectively that made them look like Elton John’s house-boys on holiday) to be met by Steven Radojcic, John Pope and Derek Roberts. I know my father was genuinely delighted to see these old comrades again; whilst he sees many of his old colleagues from time to time, an impending and permanent move to the dark wastes of the West Country will render such gatherings less frequent, and it was good to see the old man playing with his friends now whilst he can still remember their names Both he and I were particularly delighted to see our old Headmaster, Bill Blackshaw and his lovely wife, Elizabeth. I have very fond memories of these two - memories that span right back to my earliest years when my father first started at the College in 1969. Again they seemed to have changed not-at-all, and their ever-present good humour made a highlight of the day for me.

The by now sizable group of OBs subsequently split into two groups - one gathered on the home ground to watch a successful assault by the Old Girls Netball team on the school’s equivalent. David Lowe (staff) has taken some terrific pictures - take a look! Another group of us descended into the depths of the armoury for what turned out to be a fascinating tour of the newly refurbished place followed by a hugely entertaining shoot! Sergeant Major Tony Tighe, ably assisted by Alex (yet another articulate, helpful and enthusiastic College pupil) gave us a look around what used to be a warren of corridors and small dingy rooms and is now a bright and reasonably airy warren of corridors and larger rooms. Noticing our collective delight at the sight of guns, the Sergeant Major ushered us into the shooting range where, following a brief guide to using a rifle (“this is the end that bullets come out of – point it that way”), we all took turns in destroying little bits of paper with targets drawn on them 20 metres away. All that is except for one of us who shall remain nameless - one

who seemed determined to shoot the blazes out of the SM’s beautifully restored and painted range walls.

Bill & Elizabeth Blackshaw with Nick Bremer

Accordingly we all made a hasty exit to lunch where, over our lasagne and apple crumble, we were formally welcomed by the Headmaster and David Gold. As Richard Cairns rose to his feet, his youthful looks led several OBs to believe they were about to be addressed by the head of the sixth form, but a witty and succinct speech reassured all present that the old place was now in very good hands indeed. Richard presides over a school that seems to achieve all it sets out to; terrific exams results are delivered by a current crop of students that exude a good-natured confidence and bon homie that made the afternoons tours of the school an absolute delight. And so groups of us were sent off into the campus with various sixth formers (who, on close inspection, did actually look a little younger than their Headmaster) who showed off their new sixth form centre; a bright and lively place it looks to be once the decorators have left them to it, and the adjacent library rooms. John Griffin, Nick Bremer and I skulked off to visit the Burstow Gallery to see the extraordinary collection of work that currently resides there. My father’s successor, Edward Twohig, has amassed a wonderful personal collection over the years, and we wandered agog through the exhibition space cooing over Durers, Mattisses and Chagals, as well as works by a number of OBs including John Worsley (C. 1932-35). Just as we were planning how to have this lot off the wall and into the back of a van, Edward himself arrived to thwart our

plans. We were then treated to a masterful and personal guided tour of the works that was by turns fascinating, insightful, funny and irreverent. I cannot recommend a visit to this exhibition, open for another month from today, highly enough. If the activities outlined above had been all that OB Day had to offer this year, it would have satiated even the most demanding attendee. But no, there was more, and so we trundled off to the home ground; this time to witness an exciting battle between the 1st XV’s of the College and of Whitgift School. Lord knows what the score was in the end (24-13, apparently) – it really didn’t matter; the wretched yellow and black hordes nicked the game in the final moments with two well earned but ultimately downright rude tries against their gracious hosts. With dark clouds over our heads (metaphorically speaking; the actual sky was still clear and blue) we trudged off to the Headmaster’s lawn to drown our sorrows in Bucks Fizz. The game was soon forgotten and as sandwiches and cake disappeared we bade our own farewells to one and all. OB Day next year will be an entirely different affair - watch this space for details. Suffice it to say that the timing of the event, so close to the Annual Dinner, and subject to the vagaries of the Met Office, has served to keep the number of attendees lower than the day deserves. That said, if the atmosphere generated today can be recreated next year, then no weather could ever dampen these spirited and good-natured reunions. full story and photos at: oba_day_2006_01.htm

Jane Haviland (F. 1979-81), David Gold (S. 1986-91) and Fiona Aiken (F. 1979-81)


Page 8 Stephen Webbe (S.1957-62) married Jillie Periton (nee Alder), formerly of Brighton and Hove High School for Girls, at Worthing Register Office on November 3rd 2006. Says Webbe: "Vicki Jones and Christopher Green just pipped us to the post. They got the early slot". Vicki Jones (F. 1994-96) married Christopher Green on 3rd November, 2006 at Worthing Registry Office. Megan Lloyd (F. 1985-87) married Lt Col Tony Crook on 1st July 2006 at Shelleys Hotel, Lewes. OBs present were Nick and Carol Hay and Guy Bessant, and brother Bevan Lloyd (D. 1985-89). Now living in Naples, Italy.

Syenna Hurren (W. 1998-01) married Thomas Lister on the 3rd April 2006 at Quendon Hall, Essex. OB's present included Becki Wolfe as bridesmaid, and Shanika Nayagam. The happy couple have moved into their new home in Bath, Somerset. James Brenan (S. 1972-77) is pleased to announce the birth of his son, Toby on 16th July 2006. Penelope Fraser (nee Etherton, W 1991-3) and Bill are delighted to announce the safe arrival of Jessica Marion Ruth - a little sister for Amelia (now

18 months). She was born on 10th October 2006 in Geneva, Switzerland where the family live. They are always happy to hear from old friends coming through on the way to the Alps etc. at Mario Bounas (R. 1989-94) & Alexandra Bounas nee Lynch-White (F. 1995-97) are delighted to announce the birth of their beautiful baby daughter, Olivia Bella on 24th August 2006 at Chelsea Westminster Hospital, weighing 8lbs 12oz. Sam Beatson (A. 1993-96) and his wife May bare delighted to announce the birth of their daughter Ana. They are living as a family between the UK and China. Emma Sayers (W. 1989-94) is pleased to announce the birth of Ellie Louise on 19th January 2006. Born in Melbourne, Australia. marriages_2006_01.htm

JA N B AALSR UD E X PEDIT I ON T O N ORWAY March / April 2006 by Mike Wright (S. 1953-58) By a series of coincidences I found myself involved with an expedition to follow the escape route of Jan Baalsrud, a soldier with the Linge Company, in one of the most extraordinary feats of endurance and survival against the odds to come out of the last war. Living in Norway, I was well placed to assist the expedition in organisation and publicity. By great good fortune General Grandhagen, the Northern Area commander of the Norwegian Army, embraced the concept with enthusiasm and assisted us greatly. Thus on the 18th of March I joined five crew members of MS Straumnes, a ninety eight year old fishing vessel of some fifty seven feet, captained by Major Vidar Seather of the Norwegian Engineers. She had seen service in the Second World War carrying refugees from Norway. We sailed from the area of Harstadt in northern Norway, arriving at Scalloway in the Shetland Islands on 24th March. Here we met the rest of the expedition, led by Alun Davies (retired Major of Royal Regiment of Wales) who originated the idea. Our aim was to follow the of Jan Baalsrud's journey of sixty-

three years ago in what was called the 'Shetland Bus'. There were now thirteen of us crammed into what had once been a fish hold. The walls ran with water and the deck leaked yet we were probably in greater luxury than those who had travelled before us, as they would have been encumbered with 8 tons of stores and explosives. With this happy thought we set forth into a South East gale gusting force 9, and headed south to Sumburgh Head where we met the full force of the wind. Here it was deemed unwise to continue, and we returned to Scalloway and

ditched the grateful support officer. Now our number was twelve, an altogether more auspicious state of affairs, and we made a second attempt the following day. The winds had abated to force 6, and we sailed round the northern end of the islands, avoiding the overfalls of Sumburgh Head. After twenty four hours it was clear that our speed over the ground was not sufficient to get us to Norway before the fuel ran out, so it was back to Scalloway, The third attempt got us to the Norwegian coast between Sognefjord and Aalesund. We now had three days of calm sailing along the magnificent Norwegian coastline. The snowline came down to the waters edge, the sun shone and the mountains sparkled in the background. North of Narvik we transferred to a forty-knot raiding craft in an attempt to make up for lost time, arriving in Tromso in time for a civic lunch on 29th March. Here we met two ladies who as children were the first people to help Jan at the start of his epic journey, Olaug and Dagmar continued on page 10...

OLD BRIGHTONIAN LODGE NO. 4104 - PETER COCKBURN, SECRETARY, (S. 1959-64) The Old Brightonian Freemasons Lodge is this year headed by Paul Lobo who was installed as Master in September. We will be holding two important events at the College in the next few weeks. On Friday 16th March 2007 a Ladies’ Dinner is scheduled at which we hope to recognise the work done by Tony Whitestone both as a member of the College Staff and a member of the Lodge. On 27th April 2007 we are privileged to have the Prestonian Lecture (an annual Masonic Lecture sponsored by the Grand Lodge of England) to be delivered by

Granville Angell entitled “The Victoria Cross, Freemasons ’Band of Brothers’.” It is not generally known that over ten percent of all the Victoria Crosses ever awarded were awarded to Freemasons and this and other startling observations will all be revealed at the lecture, which will take place in the Great Hall with refreshments served afterwards. All Old Brightonians are cordially welcome and should contact Peter Cockburn Secretary OB Lodge on or 01444 811004 in the first

instance. We are informed that a particular Sussex bent will be applied to the lecture on this occasion mentioning local heroes.

Full contact details and Lodge archives at

DEATHS & OBITUARIES IN 2006 Major Richard G S Tolson (Wi/D. 1932-37) Obituary taken from the Roussillon Gazette, the Royal Sussex Regimental magazine. Richard Tolson, who died on 10th June 2006, was the last of a trio of particularly scholarly and talented officers, all close friends, who have left us during the past two years. They were Matthew Lees (fine art and water colour painting); John Ainsworth (history, archives and travel writing); with Richard whose interests were literature, poetry and music. Richard, whose grandfather commanded 1st Royal Sussex in 1884-90 and whose father was wounded on the Somme with the Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry, was born in 1919. He was educated at the Dragon School, Brighton College and Sandhurst, from where he passed out high in the order of merit, and joined 2nd Royal Sussex at Devonport. Come the War he was posted to the 6th Battalion, which with the 7th Battalion was bombed when approaching Amiens by train. The French engine drivers deserted and Lt Col Keith Wannop invited Richard to take over – he had done a one-day railway course! Richard recalled ‘I drove a train that day – the men hated it!’ In fact he drove it back to Chartres, from where the battalion marched to St Nazaire to be evacuated to England, witnessing the bombing of the ‘Lancastrian’ as they left. He recalled, ‘my platoon were good Sussex country boys who eschewed water in any form, and none of them could swim’. In 1943 he was posted to the Middle East where he volunteered for SOE. After training he was dropped into Northern Italy; his first training jump was the first time he had ever flown! From September 1944 to April 1945 his team supported the Partisans with weapon and equipment drops. That winter had been particularly cold and they had little to eat. From the hills they gazed down towards Venice, and fantasised about the restaurants there. After VE Richard was flown to the Far East, tasked to drop (with his darkest forebodings) into Celebes, but ‘the bomb’ intervened. He had been recommended for the MC for his service with SOE but there weren’t sufficient in the ‘ration’ to go round! But his time in Italy left him with a very great love of the country and its people, and he often returned there to stay with his ex-Partisan friends. After the war Richard served in Trieste, Malta with the 2nd Battalion, and Aqaba and Suez, where he was Adjutant of the 1st Battalion. He left the Army in 1952, feeling that peacetime soldiering didn’t really suit him. Richard’s first appointment in civil life was ADC to the Governor of the Leeward Islands, based in Antigua. It was here that in 1955 Rosalind and he were married, in St John’s Cathedral. They had met in Oxford. Rosalind was a teacher and she took up a post in Antigua – what a very happy coincidence! After that Richard’s career, in which he shone, was in the London Probation Service, becoming Senior Welfare Officer at the Royal Courts of Justice, until retiring in 1984. He was for some years Chairman of the London Branch of the Regimental Association. Mention has been made of Richard’s literary and musical interests; but it was as a leader and counsellor, in the kindest and most human possible way that he will be remembered. Charles Foster (NS 1st Bn, 1950-51), who gave the address at the funeral at St Margaret’s Church, Oxford, recalled that in Suez as Adjutant, unlike other field officers, Richard was never happier of an evening, pink gin in hand, than when surrounded

by a group of junior subalterns, and was always pleased to discuss with them as friendly equals, any subject of mutual interest and to quote from one of his colleagues in the Royal Courts of Justice... "I shall always remember Richard for his wise advice and kindness to so many distressed families and children. He was a wonderful leader of an excellent team of welfare officers. It was a great privilege to have worked with him". John Denison (Wilsons 1925-28) John Denison, who died on Hogmanay aged 95, was a central figure in Britain's musical life throughout the second half of the last century, first as music director of the Arts Council and then as the director of the South Bank Concert Halls. Arts administration barely existed when Denison first entered the field as assistant director of music for the British Council in 1946, and he was unusual in having himself been a professional musician (he was regarded as one of Britain's best French horn players in the years immediately before the war). Denison's practical knowledge was allied with an impressive memory and a ready stream of anecdotes about musical figures. By dint of his posts, he was also a significant influence on British musical tastes; he was an early advocate of the performance of opera in English, and waged a ceaseless campaign against coughing from the audience. It was, he declared robustly, "as heinous a crime as that of a player making a wrong entry". At the South Bank he also introduced the novelty of masterclasses, with the first, in 1970, being given by the accompanist Gerald Moore and by Enrique Barenboim, father of Daniel, who was then the artistic director of the summer music programme. "It's an experiment that will give a whiff of London's very exciting musical life," Denison said. The following year Gilbert and Sullivan operas were staged at the Festival Hall for the first time, with eight mobile screens and front and back projections; he was, however, unable to arrange for Ken Russell's films on the great composers, which had been made for the BBC, to be screened on the South Bank after the unions objected. John Law Denison was born on January 21 1911, the son of a clergyman. He was educated at St George's School, Windsor, where Sir Walter Parrat used to box the ears of any choirboy who misbehaved or wandered off-key, and then at Brighton College and the Royal College of Music. From an early age, he was fascinated by military bands, and would follow them for miles. After leaving the RCM, Denison was for a while articled to a solicitor, but spent much of his time playing with amateur music societies before, in 1934, turning professional as a horn player with the BBC Symphony Orchestra. Over the next five years he also played with the London Philharmonic and the City of Birmingham, among several other orchestras, before joining the Somerset Light Infantry on the outbreak of war. He was Deputy Assistant Adjutant and

Page 9 Quartermaster General for 214 Infantry Brigade and also held various staff appointments, and was mentioned in dispatches. One of the officers who reported to him was the conductor David (now Sir David) Willcocks, later the director of the Bach Choir but then an intelligence officer with the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry. The two were later to work together on the council of the RCM, during a major appeal to build the Britten Theatre. After joining the Arts Council in 1948, Denison built up a close working relationship with most of the major conductors and administrators in the field, and this stood him in good stead when, in 1965, he moved to become general manager of the Royal Festival Hall, and then director of all the South Bank's music. Though he could be shy, Denison was always approachable and immensely charming. His official retirement from the South Bank in 1976 did little to reduce his work for music. He was chairman of the cultural programme for the Queen's Silver Jubilee, on the Royal Concert Committee of the St Cecilia Festival (1976-1988) and honorary treasurer of the Royal Philharmonic Society (1977-1989). As well as the council of the RCM, he served on the council of the Musicians' Benevolent Fund from 1992. He was a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts. John Denison married, first, in 1936, Annie Brown, the comedienne Anna Russell. The marriage was dissolved in 1946; she died last year. He married three further times; each of his wives predeceased him. By his second wife, Evelyn Donald (née Moir), whom he married in 1947, he had a daughter. Eve Moir died in 1958 and he married, in 1960, Audrey Burnaby (née Bowles). She died in 1970, and two years later he married Françoise Mitchell (née Garrigues), who died in 1985. Published with kind permission of the Daily Telegraph. Mr K H Wells (D. 1931-35) died on 5 December 2006. HSH Prince Rujayakorn Abhakorn (B. 1931-34) passed away on 30th October 2006 aged 90. John Denis Porter (H. 1939-43) died on 14th July 2006 in Eastbourne. Mr Gerald Tessier-Varlet (B. 1950-52) has died. The Rev'd Peter Francis Stirk (H. 1938-42) died on 8th May 2006. Dr Mervyn S Bell (H. 1950-55) died on 1st August 2005. Peter Andrew (Head of Science until 1985) died on 28th July aged 85. The funeral was on 16th Aug at Church of the Good Shepherd in Dyke Road. Margaret Millar written P R Perfect It is, I am sure, with sadness that past members of Durnford and Bristol Houses will learn of the death of Margaret Millar on January 17th of this year. It is certainly a matter of considerable regret for me, as I was in touch with her until last December. obituaries continued on page 13...

Page 10 General Sir Francis Ivan Simms Tuker, KCIE CB DSO OBE In a moving ceremony, an Old Brightonian’s sword, hanging in the College Chapel for generations, was returned to “active duty”. Captain Anthony Harris took possession of the sword of his great grandfather, General Sir Francis Tuker, who was a member of School House before joining the Royal Sussex Regiment in 1914. General Tuker retired in 1947 after a dazzling military career, predominantly in India, and Captain Harris will wear his sword as part of his ceremonial dress.

continued from page 8... Idrupsen. We then laid wreaths at the shooting range where Jan's surviving companions were shot. We also learned that they had been shot in the stomach, so that they did not die too quickly before they were buried. We stayed at Olavsvaern, a naval barracks, and the next day we were conveyed by the Norwegian Navy to Toftefjord some sixty kilometres north of Tromso. It was here that on 30th March 1943 that the MS Brattholm, transport of the 'Shetland Bus', was surprised by the Germans. Her crew, one of whom was killed in the engagement, blew her up, two were wounded, and eight were captured. Jan Baalsrud, wounded in the foot and missing a boot, swam ashore and evaded capture by shooting one of his pursuers dead and wounding another. He climbed a snow filled gully and crossed a ridge. Realising that his hunters would search all buildings, he noticed a small island and swam to it; here there was a shallow hollow in which he hid until the hue and cry had subsided. He then swam to a small rock, which was soon submerged by the tide. A fourth swim took him to Varoya where he made contact with the two young girls, Olaug and her cousin Dina Pedersen, who rowed him to their home. Half the expedition tested the water but found it so cold that only my Norwegian friend Knut Oscar and I swam the full distance of about 80 meters taking aproximately15 minutes. Our admiration of Baalsrud started to grow. We were privileged to have Tore Haug, nephew of Jan and author of a definitive book on the matter, as our guide. The following day we started from Mikkelvik, where Dina Pedersen's brother had rowed Jan, and followed the tide

line as he had done to hide his tracks. The going over icy boulders was very hard work and fairly hazardous. We did not need reminding that he had done this with a wounded foot and an odd boot. We were sufficiently arrogant to think that we could accomplish in one day a distance that had taken him two. The seventeen hours of hard slog that followed filled us with even greater admiration for the man.

That night we reached Daafjord and stayed there as he had done. The next morning we started the long trek over the mountains to Kopparelv on the Langsund. Here we met two of the Heika family who had encountered Jan as he emerged from the forest with a pistol in his hand. They had warned him that there were many Germans about, and that he should be careful to avoid being seen by one of the many observation posts and patrols. They then recommended that he make contact with a family at Bjornskaret five kilometres further along the fjord. It should be stressed that there was no

formal resistance organisation assisting Jan; he was being passed to people who it was thought were sympathetic; thus there were huge risks. For his part Jan always refused to tell his contacts where he had come from, protecting his trail, but requiring even greater trust by his helpers. The Sorensens at Bjornskaret provided him with skis and boots; and that night the father, aged seventy-six, and son rowed Jan through a snowstorm ten kilometres to Snarby. Halfway they had to lie up behind an island in order to avoid a patrol boat. As with all journeys where Jan was accompanied, his companions had to return home the same night so that their absence would not be noted. Jan's next contacts were the Lockertsens who took him by motorboat a point eleven kilometres short of Lyngseidet. Trying to move quickly Jan skied along the road and shortly after first light skied through a group of German soldiers going for breakfast. Shaken by his narrow escape he turned north off the road into the mountains. The expedition completed the journey from Daafjord to Lyngseidet in a single day, much assisted by the Norwegian Navy fast patrol boat. Nevertheless it was another long and tiring day, and it was decided that we were trying to accomplish too much too fast, and a recovery day was ordered. The UK elements were all alpinists and found the intricasies of Norwegian skis too continued on page 11...

Page 11

‌ continued from page 10 difficult to master, so were reunited with the alpine skis that they had brought from Britain. Refreshed we then started on the most epic part of Baalsrud's journey. Knut Oscar and I used Norwegian touring skis throughout. Jan carried no maps or sketches, committing everything to memory. Having climbed high he was attempting to descend to a lower route in worsening weather when he was avalanched. He lost skis, gloves, hat and the rucksack with his food. What happened on the next three days is a little unclear, what is known is that on 8th April he fell through the kitchen door of the farm of the Gronvolls at Furuflaten. The ladies of the household were terrified at the sight of this apparition with its feet encased in ice. Jan was suffering from hypothermia, snow blindness and frostbite and was extremely hungry. The Gronvolls cleaned him up and managed to move him to their barn where he remained for four days, surviving a German search of the farm. Our expedition completed the same route as far as it could be ascertained. High on the mountain we made a rendezvous with Major General Grandhagen who flew in by helicopter accompanied by a sizeable press corps. After the general had spoken I replied in Norwegian, expressing our sincere thanks, and he was presented with a bottle of malt whisky which had been carefully carried from the Shetlands; a small token of appreciation for all his help. In inclement weather and poor visibility we descended Lyngsdalen to Furuflaten. Four of us spent the night in the Gronvoll barn, and can testify to the coldness and draughtiness of the place. The following morning we were conducted round the Baalsrud museum and met Agnete Gronvoll, widow of Marius Gronvoll, who had played a major role in the saga. When it was deemed that Jan was capable of being moved he was smuggled on a stretcher out of the village onto a sailing boat, and taken eight kilometres across the fjord to an isolated hut, which became known as Hotel Savoy. Here he remained for twelve days much of it stormbound and with minimal food. Gangrene began to infect his feet and he commenced to cut off his toes with a penknife. His helpers were having problems communicating with the men of Mandalen in the next valley who were organising his onward journey. Four men pulled Jan and his stretcher up a steep gully. The route was difficult and exhausting, and they were forced to leave Jan in the snow beneath a large boulder, which acquired the name of 'The Gentleman Stone'. The ubiquitous Major Vidar Saether in a RIB transported the expedition across the fjord. Hotel Savoy had burned down some years ago, but was replaced by a replica. We then started to climb the gully, encountering snow, ice and water, and struggling through the birch scrub. We marvelled at the achievement of the four Furuflaten men who had had to work in darkness hauling a sledge. The Gentleman stone is hard to recognise but Knut Oscar, my Norwegian companion and I are convinced that we found it. It was small wonder that the locals had such a problem identifying it in 1943. The problem of communicating and misunderstandings

meant that the men from Mandalen did not locate Jan, now buried under the snow, until the night 29/30 April, five days after he had been placed there. Because of a storm it was another five days before they could return and start the journey to Sweden. However in poor weather conditions they were not able to progress, and were forced to leave Jan under a cliff for a further five days. At last Jan's extraordinary determination to survive seemed to be fading, and it was decided to move him down to a cave at the top of the Mandalen valley where he could be cared for on a daily basis. Here he remained in their care for some seventeen days until the Sami, or Lapplanders, could be organised to take him to Sweden.

Leaving the Gentleman Stone we traversed over the ridge to the rim of the Mandalen valley. Daylight was receding fast and the route down through the maze of cliffs was difficult to locate. It was deemed too dangerous to attempt it in the dark. We therefore elected to dig snow holes and wait for daylight. Our non-appearance in Mandalen that night initiated a search for us. Thus it was that we awoke to the sound of a helicopter, which insisted on taking us down to the village, despite the protests of the purists. Our next formal engagement was to attend lunch at an old peoples' home where we met Peder and Eliver Isaksen and Nils Nilsen. Peder had been one of the two men who found Jan at the Gentleman Stone. Nils Nilsen had skied eighty-five miles in thirty hours to find the Sami; in that time the only sustenance that he had was some coffee and food that the Sami gave him. After lunch we visited Jan's grave in Mandalen where his ashes were laid in 1987. Jan had been transported by the Sami using their reindeer as cover, and had eventually reached Sweden on 1 June under a hail of bullets from a German patrol. He was eventually returned to Britain and served the rest of the war as an instructor with the Linge Company. That evening we made our way up the Mandalen valley with the assistance of the skidoos of the mayor of Mandalen, Bjorn Mo. Knut Oscar and I visited the cave, and we spent the night in a Sami tent on the plateau. The Sami had brought two reindeer of questionable usefulness; one of them

would not pull the sledge, in fact it had to be pushed and pulled in order to extract any movement whatsoever. Eventually it was decided that the best solution was to carry it on the sledge, and thus we progressed to the Finnish border with a reindeer playing the part of Baalsrud. We spent one further night in an isolated cabin, dining on Sami delicacies such as reindeer tongue and intestines. Our final act was to cross lake Kilpisjarvi into Sweden as Jan had done, without being shot at! We were left with two overriding impressions: one being the mental and physical strength of Jan Baalsrud, who in his one hundred and twenty five mile land journey had defied all the accepted conditions for survival, and the other being the extraordinary courage of the Norwegian people who had helped him. He came to them unannounced and often at dead of night, refusing to say who had sent him. Yet they accepted him, knowing that if he was not what he claimed to be, they faced the destruction of their property, torture and death. My sincere thanks to my good friend John Andre (retired Major of the Devon and Dorset Regiment) for having written this synopsis of our expedition. He was also our supply “officer “ throughout the trip. For myself, I passed out of the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst in 1960 (Royal Anglian Regiment) and retired from the Army in 1976 my last posting being in Norway. Since then I have married, have a family and lived happily in Norway working as an industrial electrician retiring this year. I spent many happy years at the College (S. 1953-58) and was Captain of Rugger in 1957. baalsrud_wright_01.htm

Page 12







London Drinks

Rocket (City)



Under 30s Drinks

Brunswick Pub, Hove




1975 leavers reunion

Brighton College


Lashings World XI v 1st XI

BC Home Ground



Commemoration Day / OBs

Brighton College



Pioneers Luncheon

Harry’s Restaurant, Hove



OBA Annual Dinner

Brighton College


THE SOAMES SOCIETY Brighton College is widely acknowledged as one of the UK’s leading coeducational schools. This has been achieved thanks to strong leadership, an outstanding body of staff and an innovative approach to the challenges of the 21st century while respecting our rich heritage. Unlike many independent schools, Brighton College does not have deep pockets nor a substantial investment portfolio to finance new facilities. Almost every new building in the College’s history has been paid for through the generosity of parents, former pupils or private trusts. After salaries and running costs, every penny from school fees is ploughed back into the existing fabric of the College estate. Many parents, former pupils and friends of the College wish to donate but are unable to offer large capital sums. The Soames Society enables people to contribute to capital projects, bursaries and refurbishment projects in a variety of ways, whether monthly, annually or in a lump sum. Members are kept fully informed of developments at the College and can specify where they would prefer their funds to be directed. Each year the Society will host two exclusive events for members – in May 2007 a reception at the House of Lords and later in the year a Black Tie Dinner to be held in Brighton. The membership of the Society is published on the Soames Society board in the Dawson Reception and in Development Office publications. However, we respect the wish of some members to remain anonymous. To become a member of the Soames Society donors pledge a minimum of £85 per month for 5 years, or a single payment of at least £5,000. Membership is valid for the duration of the pledge or if paid as a single sum, for 5 years. Other terms of payment are available on request and can be discussed with the Development Director in confidence Donors who are UK tax payers are invited to sign a Gift Aid form to increase the value of their donation by 28% at no additional cost to themselves – higher rate tax payers also receive additional tax relief when completing their self-assessment form. Overseas donors may be entitled to receive tax relief on their donations and should seek the advice of the Development Office. A donation form and brochure can be downloaded from the College website (

Will the Class please report to Mr Robinson! The Old Brightonian Dinner is the highlight of the OBA social calendar and will be held this year in the Great Hall on Saturday 24 November. To celebrate the 125th anniversary of the Association we are delighted to have Philip Robinson, the much loved and respected English Master who will be retiring in the Summer, as our Guest of Honour. Last year’s Dinner was attended by more than 150 former pupils, their partners, friends and family. The Headmaster and other members of staff attend and although the dress code is Black Tie, the occasion is quite informal. Above all it is a great opportunity to catch up with friends and meet others who share some of the same experiences as you. I hope you will join us and look forward to welcoming you to this historic occasion. David Gold (S. 1986-91) OBA President

ACTIVE KIDS VOUCHERS Brighton College is now registered to collect the Sainsbury's Active Kids vouchers which can be used to purchase sports equipment for the College, Prep and Pre-Prep schools. Vouchers should be sent to David Gold c/c The Brighton College Development Office. As many or as few as you can send would be very welcome. The scheme is already up and running and finishes in May. For every £10 customers spend in Sainsbury's stores, at , or at Sainsbury's petrol stations, customers will receive one Active Kids voucher that they can then donate to a school, guiding or Scout group. An additional Active Kids voucher will be earned for every £10 spent on fresh fruit and vegetables and /or products featuring the healthy apple symbol. You can earn vouchers with Nectar too, by converting 500 Nectar points into 50 Active Kids vouchers on the Nectar website Schools can redeem vouchers against a comprehensive and exciting range of active equipment, like dance Obituaries continued from page 9... When I was appointed to Durnford for the autumn of 1968 Margaret, who had become acclimatised to her role there, was not anxious for a change of regime but agreed to stay on for one year to see me in. Not withstanding this uncertainty she came with me, along with other Dunfordians, to Bristol two years later - and stayed until her eventual retirement! To those who did not know her properly Margaret could appear crusty and forbidding: to those with the benefit of proper acquaintance she had a dry sense of humour, always a plus point in dealing with boys, and a devoted determination to support them in their various activities. She had been a keen games-player in her youth and if you did not quite feel like playing rugby or whatever on some particular afternoon you were unlikely to find yourself on the off-games' list. Indeed, the Bristol list was always noted for its brevity. And there was no House event that did not receive her support, and most College ones, too. I was, I must admit, a trifle surprised when she told me she would like to score for the Eleven at home matches, when medical cover permitted! I need not have worried: she performed with excellent precision. For those who were genuinely ill Margaret was attentive and compassionate. There was little that she would not accomplish for those in her sick-bay. And not just for Bristolians either. Simon Smith writes of her 'extraordinary kindness' when he was stricken with appendicitis and when Norman Frith in School House was suddenly taken seriously ill, he immediately sent for her. I remain eternally grateful to her for her vital role in the House team, and for the sane and measured advice she often gave me. It is a tribute to her general standing in the College that, not long after she departed to her beloved Scotland, the authorities decided that such persons were no longer to be found as matrons and so moved to a central sanatorium. I was proud to have known her and for her to have regarded me as her friend.

Advertise for free on the OB website! The OBA website offers an online directory of businesses owned run or staffed by OBs, parents and family, or professional services offered (solicitors, accountants, mechanics, etc.). If you would like your business featured, please complete the form below, and send it to: OBA Office, Brighton College, Eastern Road, Brighton, BN2 0AL

hoops, basketball nets or even a climbing wall. They can also be redeemed for active experiences like free in-school coaching from professionals in dance, martial arts or fitness.

Name (year/ house?): Company Name: Company address:

Website / Email: Tel / Fax:

MISSING OBS The OBA appeals to its membership to help it locate the following OBs: Ilieve, G A (F. 1990-92) Iran, Roozbeh (S. 1979-83) Irvin, M E (D. 1990-95) James, Elizabeth H (W. 1994-96 James, Hannah F (W. 1993-96 Jefferson, Brian M (H. 1950-53 Jeffries, M J (R. 1984-89) Jenkins, Miranda C (F. 1989-91 Jenvey, C J (B. 1974-78) Johnson, L B (S. 1985-91) Johnson, M A E (C. 1964-69) Johnson, Peter (S. 1988-93) Johnson, W H (C. 1945-48) Jollivet, D (L. 1974-75) Jones, Bruce K (L. 1976-81 Johnstone, C G (B. 1975-80) Jones, T N (D. 1974-79) Kanagasingam, K K (C. 1977-78 Kanthan, Sharat (S. 1997-99) Kavanagh, Jonathan B (S. 1980-85) Kean, M J (R. 1977-82) Kelly, Malcolm P (L. 1951-54) Kemp, C S (A. 1974-79) Kempshall, Peter D (L. 1985-90) Kerr, A S D (L. 1977-82) Killick, J E (A. 1983-86) King, Michael D (S. 1973-76) King, M J (C. 1976-78) Kite, Philip J (B. 1974-79) Kittle, John Ivan (C. 1941-44) Knight, R A (C. 1991-94)

Knight, Russell A R (H. 1974-78) Knight, S P E (H. 1992-95) Knight, William Jeremy (H. 1964-69) Knox-Peebles, B C (F. 1983-85) Lacey, David G (D. 1947-52) Ladebo, Precious A (F. 2000-02) Lai, Beng Yan (S. 1974-77) Landy, Richard P (D. 1984-88 Lawrence, Jordan Briscoe (H. 2002-03 Lawton, J M (C. 1984-86) Lee, P C (C. 1984-87) Legg (nee Prevost), Wendy J (F. 1975-77) Leng, S M (F. 1984-86) Lennard, D L (D. 1985-90) Lennard, Sarah-Jane (W. 1991-94) Leslie, Mark A (H. 1974-76) Lister, J J (D. 1971-78) Liu, Mary Ying Man (F. 1996-98) Longdon, Simon (R. 1994-97) Lorrimore Helen R (nee Smith) (W. 1988-90) Losner, Ingram (D. 1973-78) Loudoun, James D (D. 1987-92) Lown, Bryan W (C. 1991-95) Lui, Danny (R. 1992-97) Luk, William (S. 1995-97) Lyal, Roderick M (B. 1973-78) Lynam, Patrick (H. 1983-86) Lysychkin, Sergey (S. 1992-97) Lythgoe, S G S (L. 1973-78) We are always delighted when we’re able to reconnect with an OB that we’ve lost touch with, and we hope that long-lost members who’ve found each other might contact us to tell us your stories...

Page 14 After last year's success, we sadly failed to qualify for the Grafton Morrish Finals this year. We again played in the Cyril Gray Cup at Worplesdon in June where we lost 3-0 to a strong Whitgift side containing two former county players, and the first round of the Plate competition was lost 2-1 in a much closer game that could have gone either way against Framlingham. None of these setbacks has dented our resolve to try to get back to more successful ways in 2007. A match against the College was again held at the end of June at the Dyke. This was an extremely friendly affair which on this occasion the College won by 2-1. There was some very good play from several quarters and we will hopefully have encouraged some of the younger players to join us and provide new blood when they ultimately leave. Two of this year's leavers are very promising indeed. New blood was also in evidence at the Autumn meeting, held on a lovely warm day at West Surrey GC at the end of October. It was certainly soft underfoot but the greens, recently relaid to USGA standards,

OLD BRIGHTONIAN GOLF repaid boldness. Ten OBs played and the Whitmore Bowl was retained by Warwick Laing with 38pts, on a countback from the ever youthful Brian Ellis. Three others were within four points. We were delighted to welcome Keith Kan, Mark Green and Alan Chesterfield for the first time, all of whom seemed to enjoy the conviviality. Indeed, such was the effect of several bottles of an excellent Crozes-Hermitage at lunch that a challenge was laid down for the afternoon play when it transpired that five of the ten players present were all ex-Aldrich House. Emboldened by the wine Aldrich took on the rest of the school in an afternoon matchplay event - and lost! Well the rest of us always did think that Aldrich was all mouth and... but I digress! It was an excellent meeting. Christopher Pett (H. 1962-67)

ALEX COLE BECOMES CHAMPION DE FRANCE Alex Cole (D. 1979-83) is the first Englishman to become "Champion de France Rallye Tout Terrain". At the final rally of the year in Normandy, a third overall secured the 2006 title 'Champion de France'. 2006 has been the first year when Alex has been able to compete in his 3 litre BMW powered 4WD Rivet in all 8 rounds of the Championship. A disastrous first rally in April in the south of France saw him finish down the positions. However, aside from one other event where a mechanical breakage put an early halt to his race, this year has seen him with a first, 2 seconds and 3 third places at all the other rallys which take place throughout France.

NEWS IN BRIEF Brighton College cricketers picked to tour India Brighton College pupils Holly Colvin and Sarah Taylor have been named in the 14 player squad to tour India during February. England will compete in a World Series competition comprising the top 4 sides in the world: Australia, New Zealand, India and England. Both girls played for England during the 2006 summer and impressed the coach and selectors with notable performances. SCCC sign up Michael Thornely (R. 2001-06) Sussex have promoted their Academy batsman Michael Thornely to the professional playing staff.

The 19-year-old, who made his second team debut in 2005, has signed a one-year contract which means the county champions will again operate with 18 contracted players next season. Michael has been working on his game and fitness during the winter as well as holding down a job at Gatwick Airport but he can't wait to concentrate entirely on cricket. He said: "I have worked really hard this winter and it has paid off - it's a dream come true. "It's been a serious goal of mine for the last three years and I can't wait to really get stuck in, although I realise I still have a lot of work to do."

CONTACT THE OBA - WWW.OLDBRIGHTONIANS.COM OBA Office: Brighton College Eastern Road Brighton BN2 0AL t: +44 (0)1273 704250 (Direct line) t: +44 (0)1273 704200 (switchboard) f: +44 (0)1273 704326 e: Office hours : 8.30am to 12.30pm (Mon to Fri) OBA Website & Magazine Produced by Alex Bremer (R. 1979-83), 3B Web Design - (07957 162168)

OBA Committee: President & AROPS Rep: David Gold (S. 1986-91) Hon. Secretary: Tim Loadsman (L. 1951-57) Hon. Treasurer: Paul Lobo (C. 1976-81) Administrator: Fiona Aiken (F. 1979-81) Headmaster: Richard Cairns (ex offico) Parent Rep: Della Keighley Council Rep: Andrew Symonds (A. 1955-59) Sports Rep: John Aiken (A. 1976-81) Chris Pett (H. 1962-67) Giles Stubbs (R. 1997-02) Nicky Stanton (W. 2001-03) Alex Bremer (R. 1979-83)

CRONK CUNIS CELEBRATION by Alex Bremer (R. 1979-83) On the 13th December 2006 a reception was held to celebrate the extraordinary achievement of the OBRUFC U21 team in retaining their CrockCunis Cup. The event was an invitation only affair held in the Brunswick Pub in Hove – spiritual home of College players over the last few decades. Headmaster Richard Cairns was keen to host the evening in informal and familiar surroundings, and this sentiment certainly seemed to be well appreciated by the large group of OBs, parents and staff. The interior of the Brunswick has changed enormously since our day, but since it hasn’t actually moved (despite that evening’s stormy weather); it is still where we last left it. A private area within was enjoyed enormously by the team and their entourage, and the evening developed into a tremendously good-natured reunion. Ever-present stalwarts included Peter Rumney (H. 1937-39), Tim Loadsman (L. 1951-57), our President David Gold (S. 1986-91), Fiona Aiken (F. 1979-81), John Aiken (A. 1976-81), as well as Hugo Baldwin’s parents and brothers, Clare Connor and various staff. ob_rugby_01.htm


… continued from back page cope with the blow and we rallied in the second half to crash in three more tries, whilst debutant at fly half Tom Hayward put in a delightful, almost poetic performance as the midfield general. Special mention in this match has to go to the squad’s hard men up front Matt Berry, Ken Birnage and the man beast Alex Shaw for their ruthless work in the tight five, as well as Tarbo Mabutto who scored a hatrick. Next was the quarter final clash with the hosts KCS Wimbledon old boys. The Ob’s blew them away with what I consider to have been their best performance of the day, huge forwards and silky backs combined in a breathtaking ballet of rugby football, orchestrated at nine and ten by Will Harris and Tom Hayward respectively. The sun had pushed its way passed the clouds and peeled back its grey blankets to reveal a deep blue canopy, causing us all to turn a olive brown (actually I went pink but its my article so for the sake of argument we’ll say I looked fantastic). Ben Maidment, Rupert Baldwin and Chris Canneaux carried well, while Alex Shaw was as ever a man mountain in the lineout, indeed he Ken Birnage and Matt Berry were as brutal as ever in this game and like Zulu warriors they effortlessly swept aside any signs of resistance in The KCS pack to win 36-3. The semi final clash against Portsmouth Grammar was a scrappy and hard fought affair, wings Nick Marshall and Tom Hird acquitted themselves wonderfully, putting in several excellent last minute tackles to thwart the tide of black and red. Meanwhile Kit Dobner and Sam Saville-Barton neither having had a rest all day continued their classy displays in the pack, their hard work allowing a series of monstrous pick and drive moves by our hulking six footers. We squeezed past with an opportunist try by Tom Hayward to advance to the final as 5-0 winners. The final was played against Oundle, who themselves had knocked out Wellington and Tonbridge on the way. Their pack looked solid and their backs looked more like a pack than their forwards did. We gritted our teeth once again and re-commenced battle. The best way to describe the boys’ performances in final is to liken it to the battle of Waterloo. Like the French, Oundle pressed on in huge blue columns battering our front line defences with barrages of second rows and prop forwards, attempting at every turn to crush us out wide, but like in 1815 we stood as solid as British steel. Our own counter attacks were starting to cause the blues serious headaches and our efforts were rewarded with a superb out-flanking movement as Ken Birnage waltzed in from fifteen yards out on the blindside to dive as elegantly as he was able to under the sticks. First Blood to the OB’s. A clever man would have had a bet on Ken scoring as Ladbrokes and William Hill both had him at 500-1 to score first try and the pit-bull terrier show his exuberance at scoring in the next scrum by demolishing the opposition tight head. Woof From then on in it was all one way traffic, Rupert

Baldwin and Chris Canneaux continued their ball thieving to present skipper Will Harris the chance to jink his way in and at the half time whistle we lead 140. As the second half set in legs became heavy and several substitutions were made on both sides, this paused the OB’s for only a few minutes, as a delicate little break and pass in the middle of the park by Kit Dobner allowed Tarbo Mabutto a forty yard run in, his cheetah like pace too fast for the flagging Oundle. The opposition responded with a late try, the only one to have been scored against the OB’s all day, but more was still to come from the valiant OB’s as right on the death Kit Dobner raced down the left wing to dive over in the corner, an excellent solo effort by the wonderfully talented open side. Thus as the final whistle blew the OB’s retained their national title, a wonderful achievement and one not to be forgotten, it is indeed a testament to the standard of rugby the college teaches that so many talented and gritty players were available to play for the old boys’ team that day. Already I am aware of the renewed interest in the OB’s from a large majority of recent school leavers and if we can continue our success then it will do wonders for our Association in stoking the fire of desire that burns deep down in any true Brightonian. Before I sign off I would like to give many thanks to Alex Yeo and Adam Phillips for all their efforts in coaching the squad and helping out even when they were hard pressed for time and also to Claude Cox who made a great chief medical officer in Tom Samandi’s absence. Perhaps the Old Boys’ will see to it that I can employ both of them for next year’s tournament. Congratulations chaps you were a pleasure to coach and you made all of our wonderful supporters proud to be cheering for the maroon and blues. Here’s to making it three in a row next year. Huzzah!

Full story and photos: cronk_cunis_2006_01.htm

Jordan Turner-Hall (H. 2002-05) has been named in the squad for England Under20s' match against Ireland in Athlone this Friday February 23 (7.30pm). The NEC Harlequins centre missed England's victories over Scotland Under-20s (31-5) and Italy Under-21s (30-10) because of a shoulder injury but makes the 22 for the game at Dubarry Park.. Turner-Hall was in camp ahead of the Italy game and coach Nigel Redman said: "He has had an unfortunate injury but we felt it was important to bring him into the training squad last week to give him an opportunity to see what it was all about. He is someone who is going great guns at Quins and it's good to have him available because he is a terrific asset." David Tibbott (A. 1996-00) has been named in the England Students 22-strong squad for their opening international of 2007. Centre Tibbott started for Cambridge in last month’s 15-6 victory over Oxford in the Lehman Brothers Varsity Match at Twickenham. He travels to Spain on February 10 before games against France in Cahors and Oxford on February 23 and March 9 respectively.

Calling all Rugby players… In true Kitchener style, The OBA’s very own Sports Representative, John Aiken, urges all OBs between 7 and 35 stone to dig out their gumshields and dust off their boots. Please contact John Aiken on 07709 461000 or

Pelican sport


OBRUFC ROMP TO 2ND CRONK CUNIS TITLE Sunday 3rd September 2006 by Hugo Baldwin (S. 1999-03) Motspur Park near Wimbledon was the scene for the 10th annual National CronkCunis U21’s Old boys Rugby tournament. Unlike the last two tournaments the sky was an uncharacteristic grey, bruised and heavy with moisture it suppressed overhead like a granite coloured blanket of discontent. However, nothing could dampen the OB’s spirits and we camped near the RFU mobile museum on the far side of pitch 1 with the usual banter and bravado that we are legendry for. Already there were murmurings that the great maroon and blue machine were here and it started to resonate across the emerald green playing fields, knees started to knock in the opposition camps as blind side flanker and team orc Ben Maidment slipped into his playing shirt his rippling muscles as defined as a prize bull. Meanwhile professional model Will Harris and sleek young men Tom Le Mahute and Rupert Baldwin sent hearts a flutter in the female

Tarbo 'Togo' Mobuttu scores against Oundle to secure the Crock Cunis Cup

supporters as they warmed up their impossibly long and lubricous legs. Elsewhere Ken Birnage and Alex Shaw had a cigarette whilst Robbie Rugman got lost on a dangerous and near perilous journey to the club house loos. (Don’t worry he was later recovered and put in several fine performances). Our first game was against Marlborough, last years semi finalists, and much like last year, despite having some fine backs found the OB’s just too strong for them up front as Ben Maidment and Chris Canneaux displayed some fine ball carrying to blast us through the opening game 12-0. The next game was a good old fashion Sussex style encounter with Christ Hospital Old Boys, they were feisty but soon lost their fire after Tarbo Mabutto and Chris Butt ran in a couple of well worked tries through the centre. Unfortunately our chief naughty feet exponent, Tom le Mahute pulled up with a strained hamstring nevertheless our squad was strong enough to

College 6th former, Emily Turner, in the Netball match against the Old Girls on OB Day

The Pelican, no. 21, 2007  
The Pelican, no. 21, 2007