Page 1

Be a







Spirited. Connected.


Successful. Networked.

Welcome to


Table of contents

4 Preparing for your new home Your student ID number Housing policy Commuting to campus Health History Form 5 Enrollment checklist 6 Steps prior to enrollment 8 Residence halls Residence hall features Safety and security Items to bring Online console gaming Student advice Lofts 10 Freshman halls Freshman Learning Centers Hudson/Perrin Halls High Rises 12 Upperclassman halls Roberta Hall, Franken Hall, South Complex, Tower Suites, Forest Village Apartments




20 22 24

Married housing Gender-neutral housing Campus dining Meal plans Dining options Student support Residential Life staff Freshman Seminar Accommodations for students with disabilities Northwest living Parking on campus Laptop Computer Program Bearcat Card Dual Credit/AP/CLEP/IB Honors Program Newspaper Readership Program Scholarship renewal information Registration and orientation dates Helpful phone numbers


in all halls

thwest Students who live


on campus higher grades University Police staffed


hours a day,

365 days a year




live on campus

Apartments andaresuites available for upperclassmen



of freshmen live on campus

Preparing for your new home Congratulations on choosing Northwest Missouri State University! This booklet contains important information you’ll need to know about becoming a Bearcat – housing or commuter information, health information, checklists, deadlines, phone numbers and more.

Your student ID number Your student number, also known as your 919 number, was provided to you in your acceptance letter. This very important ninedigit number is your student identification number that you will use throughout your association with Northwest. You’ll use it to apply for housing; to apply for major-specific scholarships; to apply for Summer Orientation, Advisement and Registration; to access the SOAR Directory; for room assignment notification; to view your class schedule; and to log into your CatPAWS account. It’s also your username, and it’s printed on your Bearcat Card.

Housing policy All first-time freshmen must live in the residence halls unless they are married, are at least 21 years of age or are commuting from their parent’s or legal guardian’s primary residence within 60 miles of Maryville (where they lived during high school). Students who are not first-time freshmen or those who are at least 21 years of age may live in housing of their own choice. The housing agreement is for contracted periods, typically the fall and spring. Thus, release from the agreement at the end of the fall trimester will not be automatic nor should it be assumed.

Commuting to campus Freshman, transfer and returning students who meet the commuting criteria must complete and return the Commuting to Northwest card on the inside cover of this booklet within two weeks of receipt. Freshmen need to have their card notarized. Apartments and other rental properties in Maryville are limited, therefore, housing should be secured as early as possible before the start of the term.



For questions regarding first-time freshman housing requirements and commuting to campus, please contact Residential Life at, 800.633.1175 or 660.562.1214.

Health History Form Prior to starting classes at Northwest, students must complete and return a health history form. The form can be found stapled in the middle of this booklet or at nwmissouri. edu/wellness/beforenw.htm and should be returned to Wellness Services at least 30 days before classes begin. Per Missouri state law, no student will be allowed to move into the residence halls without Northwest receiving record of their meningitis shot after the age of 16, or by signing the meningitis waiver.

Enrollment checklist for students starting in summer/fall Last year in high school/college ❑❑ You will receive notification

regarding your admission status and automatic scholarship awards approximately two weeks after all materials have been received. For assistance, see CatPAWS from the resources tab on or contact us at 800.633.1175. ❑❑ Complete the Standard

Scholarship Application to apply for major-specific awards. The application is available in CatPAWS and may be accessed until the Feb. 1 deadline. Information on all scholarships is available at ❑❑ Complete the housing

agreement (found stapled in the middle of this booklet or go online to CatPAWS to complete and submit a housing agreement). Send $150 prepayment and the housing agreement in the envelope provided or online through CatPAWS. Room assignment will not be made until the housing agreement and prepayment are both received. (refundable if canceled by June 1 for fall attendees) OR ❑❑ If applicable complete and send back the Commuting to Northwest card located inside the front cover of this booklet (freshmen, don’t forget to have it notarized). ❑❑ Receive a postcard from

the Residential Life Office acknowledging receipt

of your prepayment and confirming your reservation for a space on campus. ❑❑ Complete the health

history form (found stapled in the middle of this booklet or online at wellness/beforenw.htm) and return it to Wellness Services at least 30 days before classes begin. ❑❑ International students must

carry adequate medical insurance. Northwest offers an insurance plan if students do not have their own insurance. Please contact the Intercultural and International Center for more information about this requirement. ❑❑ Beginning Jan. 1 or

after, submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Northwest’s code number is 002496. To apply electronically, go to forms.htm. ❑❑ Receive a financial aid

award package for your review and acceptance. Awards are mailed beginning April 1. ❑❑ Respond to invitation

for SOAR (Summer Orientation, Advisement and Registration) for freshmen or Orientation and Registration for transfer and returning students. Invitations are mailed early April. See nwmissouri. edu/admissions/ orientation or pg. 22 of this booklet for more information.

Starting in the spring? Download a spring checklist at

Summer before enrollment ❑❑ Attend a one-day SOAR or

Orientation and Registration program to receive your fall course schedule and meet with an academic advisor. See admissions/orientation. ❑❑ Room and roommate

assignment posted on CatPAWS beginning mid-July. ❑❑ Have official ACT/SAT

scores and final transcripts sent if requested. ❑❑ Receive your billing

statement at the end of July. First quarterly installment or full payment is due Aug. 15. ❑❑ Before classes begin,

contact your roommate. Get to know each other and discuss what you’ll bring to Northwest. ❑❑ Beginning Aug. 1 register

your car and purchase a parking permit. (see pg. 18 for details) ❑❑ Attend Advantage in Aug.

(fall orientation starts Thursday, before classes begin). Information will be mailed in late July. For more Advantage information, see admissions/orientation/ advantage.htm. ❑❑ Move into your residence

hall on Thursday, before classes begin. ❑❑ You must provide

documentation of either your meningitis shot or meningitis waiver to the Wellness Center. You will not be allowed to move into your room unless they have your paperwork on file. 5

Steps prior to enrollment ■■ Visit

CatPAWS to access the tools you’ll need to take the next steps toward enrollment ■■ Visit, and select the Quick Tools heading of the Resources tab ■■ Log in using the directions found in your acceptance letter

Main menu

Complete your housing agreement

*Spring applicants must complete the paper application provided in this booklet.



Complete the Standard Scholarship Application (available September 1, 2013 to February 1, 2014)

View your financial award package



Residence halls Student success is Northwest’s mission, and residential life is a proud partner in this endeavor. Students who live on campus are part of a well-rounded university experience that fosters academic success and personal growth.

Residence hall features Look at everything that comes standard for each on-campus student. ■■ air-conditioning ■■ coed living, organized by floor in some halls ■■ wireless internet access and email

Appliances you may bring ■■ hair dryer, curling iron ■■ iron ■■ TV/DVD player, stereo (or, there is a TV in a

central area of each hall)

■■ laptop computers for all students

■■ popcorn popper

■■ free laundry facilities

■■ coffeemaker, hot pot

■■ cable TV

■■ refrigerator (5 cubic feet or less, 2.5 amps)

■■ social activities

■■ microwave oven (700 watts or less)

■■ vending machines

Do not bring

■■ lounges and study rooms ■■ your own mailbox ■■ custodial service for restrooms ■■ community kitchens ■■ fitness facilities ■■ smoke-free environment

■■ electric skillet ■■ a hot plate ■■ toaster ■■ halogen lamp ■■ household extension cord ■■ any appliance with an exposed coil, or any

that could present a fire hazard

Safety and security Residential Life works closely with University Police in order to provide students with a safe living environment. All exterior residence hall doors are secured 24/7 with an electronic access system. Resident Assistants (RAs) conduct rounds throughout the building each night to ensure that policies are enforced and the community is safe. University residence halls have an alert system that is directly connected to University Police. Alert systems broadcast emergency alarms and announcements in each hall. The University also has an opt-out emergency text messaging system.



Online console gaming Students who wish to play online games or utilize console services (such as PlayStation Network or Xbox Live) should purchase DSL service from CenturyLink, an outside vendor.

Other items you may want to bring Sure, you have to bring items such as clothes, sheets, pillows, bedding, hand and bath towels and toothpaste, but have you thought of everything? Here’s a list compiled by students. ■■ sticky tac ■■ cable cord ■■ alarm clock ■■ power strip ■■ fan ■■ laundry basket ■■ dry-erase board for door ■■ shower bucket ■■ shower shoes (flip-flops) ■■ robe ■■ organizers and crates ■■ small wastebasket ■■ headphones ■■ dishes and silverware

Student advice Here’s what current students advise to make the most of your new space: ■■ Bring only the things you need the most. ■■ Bring things that will help make you feel at


Lofts Dieterich, Franken, Millikan and Phillips hall residents may rent from a metal or wooden loft vendor or construct a loft in your room. When considering a loft, be sure to look at the Loft Guidelines at Residence_Hall_Life/lofts.htm or refer to loft guidelines available at SOAR before you build. We recommend that you not build your loft until you arrive on campus in the fall. Merchants offer “loft kits” to ease the loftbuilding process which will be on display during SOAR. Please note: student-constructed lofts can only be installed beginning the first day of move-in and after. No early installation of lofts is allowed unless it is installed by a vendor approved by Northwest. No two rooms are exactly alike, so the measurements supplied are approximate. All furniture must remain in the room, including the bed frame and bed ends. Roberta, Hudson, Perrin and Tower Suites have bed components that allow students to bunk or loft their beds. For this reason, no homemade lofts are allowed in these buildings. Students living in South Complex have the option of bunking beds or renting from the metal loft vendor. Homemade or wooden lofts are not allowed in South Complex.

■■ If you’re organized, your room will look

bigger. ■■ Talk to your roommate ahead of time so

you don’t bring duplicate items. ■■ Bring food – you will want snacks for late

night studying. ■■ Remember a raincoat, umbrella, gloves,

hats, a heavy coat, boots and an ice scraper (during winter). NORTHWEST MISSOURI STATE UNIVERSITY


Freshman halls Freshman Learning Centers Our halls are divided between freshmen and upperclassmen to meet the needs of incoming students as they transition to Northwest. All freshmen living on campus participate in the Freshman Learning Center (FLC) program. ■■ FLCs provide a staff-resident ratio of 1 to 30, enabling students to connect with positive role

models. ■■ FLC policies are designed to foster positive life choices. Upperclassmen enjoy more autonomous

living experiences. ■■ Academic Resource Consultants in Halls (ARCH) live in Freshman Learning Centers to promote

good study habits and to help students with academic resources. ■■ Programs are presented in each hall to enhance students’ educational and social experience.

Hudson Hall and Perrin Hall Joined by the Hudson-Perrin Community Building, opened in fall 2007. This Freshman Learning Center complex, with its modified suite-style rooms, has five or six rooms grouped together in a pod with a private bathroom. The Community Building area features a front desk, kitchen, free laundry facilities, recreation room and a gathering place. Each residence hall has wireless internet available on all floors. These halls are located near the J.W. Jones Student Union and Colden Hall.

■■ coed by floor

Room specifications* ■■ Windows: 68” w x 78” h

■■ capacity: 450

■■ Ceiling: 9’ h

■■ fully carpeted

■■ Door: 36” w x 80” h

■■ movable furniture

■■ Mattress: 80” long

Hudson/Perrin Halls

■■ mini-blinds ■■ Freshman Learning Center ■■ beds are loftable or bunkable (see pg. 9)

Perrin Hall modified suites



(Extra-long twin sheets suggested.)

High Rises These seven-story buildings are on the northwest corner of campus. Each traditional standard room has two built-in desks, closets and dressers, along with two movable chairs and beds. The rooms and hallways are carpeted. There is a central restroom/shower area and lounge on each floor. Each high-rise residence hall has a front desk and wireless internet available. Residents also have access to fitness equipment, a kitchen, free laundry facilities and sand volleyball courts. Each residence hall also contains Freshman Learning Centers and the buildings are close to The Station and Wellness Services.

Dieterich Hall ■■ coed by floor

Room specifications* ■■ Windows: 37.5” w x 51.5” h

■■ capacity: 306

■■ Desk: shelf and light: 57” h

■■ kitchen and study lounges

■■ Desk: 30.75” h

■■ may bring lofts (see pg. 9)

■■ Ceiling: 8’ 1” h

■■ recreation room

■■ Door: 31.75” w x 84” h

Franken Hall ■■ coed by floor

Mattresses ■■ Phillips/Franken: 80” long (extra-long twin sheets suggested)

■■ freshmen and upperclassmen

■■ Dieterich/Millikan: 76” long (regular twin

sheets will fit)

■■ kitchen and study lounges ■■ may bring lofts (see pg. 9)

Millikan Hall ■■ coed by floor ■■ capacity: 306 ■■ aerobic exercise area


laundry facilities

■■ may bring lofts (see pg. 9) ■■ kitchen and study lounges

Phillips Hall

in the

residence halls

■■ coed by floor ■■ capacity: 306 ■■ weight-training equipment

and aerobic exercise area ■■ may bring lofts (see pg. 9) ■■ kitchen and study lounges

These descriptions are for the 2014-2015 academic year *These are measurements for typical rooms. Your room might vary slightly. All furniture must remain in the room. There is no additional space for storage. NORTHWEST MISSOURI STATE UNIVERSITY


Upperclassman halls Roberta Hall

Franken Hall

South Complex

Unlike many other universities, sorority women at Northwest do not have houses in the community. Instead, each sorority has a designated area in Roberta Hall. ■■ sorority members only

This high-rise is located near Owens Library, the Station and the Bearcat Baseball Field. It houses both freshmen and upperclassmen. Depending on availability, some upperclassmen and transfer students may have private rooms in the building. ■■ coed on each upperclass floor

South Complex is centrally located to academic buildings, University offices, the student union and the Student Rec Center. Four or five rooms are grouped in a pod with a private bathroom. ■■ Healthy Living and Leadership floors

■■ upperclassmen ■■ 24-hour visitation policy ■■ movable furniture ■■ suites ■■ close to classroom

buildings ■■ beds are bunkable and

loftable ■■ study lounges

■■ recreation room

■■ upperclassmen and

Honors Program (includes freshmen)

■■ study lounges

■■ coed by pod

■■ may bring lofts (see pg. 9)

■■ 24-hour visitation policy ■■ weight and aerobics room ■■ movable furniture ■■ bunkable beds ■■ recreation room ■■ only metal lofts allowed

(see pg. 9)



Tower Suites

Married housing

These residence halls provide upperclassmen with advanced housing options, located near the high-rise halls on the northwest corner of campus.

Northwest provides the option for married students to live on campus in the Forest Village Apartments. At least one person living in the apartment must be a Northwest student to live on campus. Two-bedroom apartments are available that include one restroom, a full kitchen with full-size refrigerator, dishwasher, stove and microwave, washer and dryer, and fully furnished living room and bedrooms. If interested, contact Residential Life at 660.562.1214 or

Suite features: ■■ two buildings with two-bed and four-bed units ■■ beds are bunkable and loftable ■■ each unit has its own bathroom and a living

space ■■ community building with meeting/study

space, coffee shop, convenience store, and mail service ■■ movable furniture

Each suite floor includes: ■■ laundry room ■■ kitchenette ■■ balcony or patio ■■ lounge

Gender-neutral housing Northwest offers upperclassmen the option to live in gender-neutral housing. Students of mixed genders may live together in Tower Suites or the Forest Village Apartments. If interested, contact Residential Life at 660.562.1214 or

■■ study room ■■ meeting room

Tower Suites

Forest Village Apartments Forest Village Apartments, located north of the Garrett-Strong Science Building, are two-and four-bedroom apartments for juniors, seniors, and graduate students. The apartments’ Community Building houses a convenience store and mail service. Each apartment includes: ■■ individual bedrooms ■■ movable furniture (bedroom and living room) ■■ full kitchen (dishwasher, microwave, garbage

disposal, range, refrigerator) ■■ washer and dryer ■■ bathroom (two in the four-bed units)



Campus dining Whether you eat every meal on campus or just grab a bite now and then, you’ll love the value, variety and convenience of your meal plan. Campus dining is available seven days-a-week.

Meal plans How do they work?

Meal plans are geared specifically to make your life easier. Depending on whether you live on or off campus and which meal plan you choose, your meal plan will be made up of: unlimited swipes, a set number of swipes, Resident Dollars, Flex Dollars and/or an inclining balance. Swipes give you access to Bearcat Commons, the all-you-care-to-eat residential restaurant on the first floor of the Student Union. Just swipe and eat whatever you like! Resident Dollars, for on-campus students may be used at any dining location on campus, as well as vending machines and concession stands. Flex Dollars, for commuting students may be used at the same locations as Resident Dollars as well as for delivery from Domino’s and Pizza Hut. With inclining balance, your Bearcat Card becomes a credit card that you can use for food purchases that will be billed to your University account.

What Are My Meal Plan Choices?

Our meal plans provide you with many options. Select a plan that fits your status (resident or commuter) and your lifestyle. Resident Plans Traditional residents can choose from four All-Access Plans with varying levels of spending power. Each plan is made up of unlimited swipes to Bearcat Commons. Silver Base Plan: Unlimited access to Bearcat Commons, 7-days-a-week Gold Base Plan: Unlimited access to Bearcat Commons, 7-days-a-week, $150 Resident Dollars + 5 guest meal passes Platinum Base Plan: Unlimited access to Bearcat Commons, 7-days-a-week, $300 Resident Dollars + 8 guest meal passes 5-Day Plan: Unlimited access to Bearcat Commons, Monday–Friday You can add Resident Dollars to your plan anytime in increments of $25 or use inclining balance for purchases at any location.

Commuter Plans As a commuter student, you don’t have to do a thing. All registered, commuter students are automatically able to use inclining balance to charge their food purchases to their University account. If you are worried about controlling your spending on inclining, you can choose from an All-Access Plan or Block Plans. Block Plans offer a set number of all-you-care-to-eat meals to use anytime throughout the trimester in Bearcat Commons. Inclining Balance: Inclining works like a credit card allowing you to charge all your purchases to your University account. All-Access Meal Plans: Commuters have the option of signing up for any of the All-Access meal plans available to residents. Block Plans: A Block Plan is perfect for commuters who wish to visit Bearcat Commons at their convenience throughout the trimester. Choose from a set number of swipes from 75, 50 or 25 all-you-care-to-eat meals. Add Flex Dollars: If you don’t want a full plan but still want to pre-pay, you can add Flex Dollars to your card in any increment of $25.



Get to know your dining options Bearcat Commons

The new all-you-care-to-eat restaurant is the perfect place to meet up with friends, open daily, 7 a.m.–1 a.m. This residential location offers a Mediterranean kitchen offering hearth baked pizza and zesty pasta dishes, produce market and deli, an all-American grill, Tex-Mex cuisine, fresh bakery and exhibition stations as well as a Mongolian grill.

The Jones

The renovated Jones location features Chick-fil-A, Einstein Bros., Zen and Provisions on Demand (P.O.D.) featuring Red Mango. These new concepts bring a full suite of dining choices to The Jones.


Starbucks Coffee, conveniently located in the library, offers brewed coffee and specialty drinks, gourmet bakery items, parfaits, sandwiches and more. Starbucks is located in Novel Grounds area of the library, the perfect place to get work done on your laptop or enjoy great conversation.

The Station

Papa John’s offers pizza by the slice and on campus delivery. The Station also houses an on-campus convenience market, P.O.D., offering coffee service and a wide range of grab-and-go items.

Essentials at Forest Village

When you need to stock your in-room fridge or grab a snack and beverage to keep you going, Essentials at Forest Village provides you with everything you need. NORTHWEST MISSOURI STATE UNIVERSITY


Student support Residential Life staff Resident Assistant (RA) is likely one of the first people you will meet when you arrive at Northwest. Each floor has an RA who has been trained to assist you with any questions about your new home. Academic Resource Consultant in Hall (ARCH) is an undergraduate student trained in assisting students in achieving academic success. BRIDGEs (Building Relationships and Integrating Diverse Growth Experiences) facilitate diversity education and promote an enriching environment by providing cultural programming and resources for students.

Desk Assistants (DAs) and a Desk Manager (DMs) are ready to answer any questions and provide rental equipment for cooking, games, and sports. Assistant Complex Directors (ACDs) are sophomores, juniors or seniors who assist professional staff in creating a dynamic learning environment. Technology Support Assistants (TSAs) are students who are dedicated to providing free support for University-provided laptops and the Northwest network.

Freshman Seminar Freshman Seminar is a one-credit hour academic course designed to introduce students to the Northwest community and collegiate environment. Each student develops a personal plan to understand and assume responsibility for their own university experience. Course content includes: ■■ adjustment to university life ■■ skills necessary to make the most of the university experience ■■ general education requirements ■■ academic programs and advisement ■■ career exploration ■■ campus and community resources ■■ taking advantage of cultural and extracurricular events 16


Accommodations for students with disabilities Northwest is committed to providing quality support services to all students.

Personal Development and Counseling Center

If you have a documented disability you must make your needs known by requesting accommodations through a member of the Learning Assistance Providers/Services (LAP/S) Committee.

Rhonda Leslie

The process for requesting accommodations is outlined on our “Services for Students with Disabilities� website at

Judy Frueh

You are strongly encouraged to initiate this process as far in advance of your arrival on campus as possible. An excellent transition resource for students with disabilities is available at guidebook/guidebook.html.


Student Support Services Margaret Sebastian


Wellness Services 660.562.1348

Talent Development Center Kirk Skoglund


College of Education and Human Services Dr. Shirley Steffens


ADA/504 Coordinator Dr. Leslie Galbreath




Parking on campus Students are allowed to have a vehicle on campus with the purchase of a parking permit. Permits are good for one year, from August through July, and cost $90/vehicle, $50/motorcycle or scooter for the 2013-2014 school year. Go to your CatPAWS account and register your vehicle anytime after Aug. 1 for fall 2014– summer 2015. The parking permit registration link is under the Personal Information section.

Northwest Computing Services provides maintenance and repair for University issued laptops at no cost to the student. Repairs are commonly done by swapping computers. Service and repairs are not provided on machines students choose to bring to campus.

Once registered, visit the Student Services Center in the Administration Building with your Bearcat Card and pick up your parking permit when you arrive for Advantage Week in August.

Students are encouraged to bring an external storage device (flashdrive or USB hard drive) to maintain a backup of their files stored on the computer’s hard drive. Additional storage is available utilizing the University’s network storage system.

Laptop Computer Program

Students may load their own legal software and programs onto their computers. Laptops are preloaded with Microsoft Windows 7 business operating system, Microsoft Office 2010 professional (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access), Internet Explorer 8 and antivirus software.

All students are issued a personal laptop computer. Each laptop comes with an AC adaptor and an ethernet cable is available by request. All residence halls and classroom buildings support wireless internet access. Wireless access is also available in the B.D. Owens Library and J.W. Jones Student Union.


Printers are available at the front desk of each hall and in computer labs. Printing costs $1/ page for color and 10¢/page for black and white. Charges are applied to your University bill. You may bring your own printer with a USB connection.


Students pre-enrolled for the following fall term may keep the laptop during the summer for $50. If desired, private insurance for your laptop is available through outside vendors.

Bearcat Card

Honors Program

Your student ID is a lot more than just a piece of personalized plastic. Here’s where and how you can use your Bearcat Card:

Honors Program participants may live in Honors Housing in South Complex. Each resident on the honors wing, including roommates, must be in the Honors Program. The honors wing provides a studious learning environment while serving as a venue for speakers, discussions, socials and other events that will support participants. To be eligible for the Honors Program, students must have at least a 26 ACT and a 3.50 grade-point average. Eligible students are sent an invitation to apply in the spring. Please indicate in the housing contract if you are interested in living on the honors wing. Space is limited and will be assigned on a first-come, first-served basis.

To gain access: ■■ B.D. Owens Library ■■ Textbook Services ■■ Interlibrary loans ■■ Fitness Center ■■ Student Rec Center ■■ Home athletic events ■■ Copy machines

To buy what you need: ■■ Buy food in the Union or The Station ■■ Purchases are deducted from your meal

plan or charged to your student account ■■ Shop in the on-campus convenience stores ■■ Vending machines ■■ Concession stands at Bearcat games ■■ Bearcat Bookstore (charged to your student

account) As a banking card: ■■ Access your U.S. Bank student checking account with your Bearcat Card from any ATM (applications are available at all orientation programs)

Newspaper Readership Program Complementary copies of USA Today, The Kansas City Star and The St. Joseph NewsPress are available each weekday morning in the residence hall lobbies as well as around campus.

■■ Use it as a debit card at merchants

nationwide ■■ To learn more about this option, call

Northwest’s Auxiliary Services Office at 660.562.1430

Dual Credit/AP/CLEP/IB

. th


. ll 4































































ll 3






2n d


ll 2


im Tr












r Ye a rin g te

Northwest does not award credit for all AP, CLEP or IB examinations. However, a current list of accepted credit may be found at dualcredit.htm.

Retention at Northwest


Northwest will accept transfer and high school dual credit from regionally accredited institutions. Credit may also be granted for satisfactory scores on College Board Advanced Placement Tests (AP), the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) examinations, and the International Baccalaureate (IB). In order to receive credit, students must have official transcripts from the college or original score reports from the testing agency sent to the Office of Admissions.

The national freshman-to-sophomore retention rate for public, master level, 4-year universities is 71.1%. Source: ACT, Inc. 2010 Graduation rates available upon request.



Scholarship renewal information Your acceptance letter will tell you what automatic scholarships you have received. Don’t forget to apply for the other scholarships Northwest offers.

Freshman scholarships President’s Scholarship 3.50 Northwest cumulative GPA and completion of 24 credit hours per academic year. Maximum award of 8 trimesters within consecutive academic years. award: $5,000 Distinguished Scholar 3.50 Northwest cumulative GPA and completion of 24 credit hours per academic year. If GPA is less than 3.50, student will follow Northwest Scholar, Tower Scholar and Academic Excellence requirements. Maximum award of 8 trimesters within consecutive academic years. award: $2,500 Academic Excellence, Tower Scholar and Northwest Scholar Students may float between levels depending on Northwest cumulative GPA. All require completion of 24 credit hours per academic year and the following Northwest cumulative GPA: Academic Excellence: 3.50 – $1,500 Tower Scholar: 3.40 – $1,000 Northwest Scholar: 3.30 – $750 Maximum award of 8 trimesters within consecutive academic years. Freshman Merit Award Renews to University Scholar program with completion of 24 credit hours per academic year and minimum 3.30 Northwest cumulative GPA. Maximum of 2 trimesters of Merit and 6 trimesters of University Scholar. award: $1,000



Bearcat Advantage 3.00 Northwest cumulative GPA and completion of 24 credit hours per academic year. Maximum award of 132 total credit hours earned (including dual credit and transfer hours). award: 100% waiver of out-of-state tuition (estimate: $6,252 – based on 30 credit hours for fall/spring trimesters). Cultural Enrichment Scholarship 3.00 Northwest cumulative GPA, completion of 24 credit hours per academic year and acceptable participation in Mentors Over Retention and Education program. Maximum award of 8 trimesters within consecutive academic years. Renewal amount: $1,000 American Dream Grant Renewable for one year as tuition only scholarship with reapplication of FAFSA, by April 1, be Pell Grant eligible and completion of 24 Northwest credit hours with a 2.00 Northwest cumulative GPA. A+ Scholarship Renewable for one year with a 3.30 Northwest cumulative GPA and completion of 24 credit hours. award: $1,500

Transfer Scholarships President’s Scholarship 3.50 Northwest cumulative GPA and completion of 24 credit hours per academic year. Maximum award of 6 trimesters within consecutive academic years. award: $5,000 Transfer Distinguished Scholarship 3.50 Northwest cumulative GPA and completion of 24 credit hours per academic year. Maximum award of 6 trimesters within consecutive academic years. award: $2,500 Transfer Academic Scholarship 3.30 Northwest cumulative GPA and completion of 24 credit hours per academic year. Maximum award of 6 trimesters within consecutive academic years. award: $1,500

Transfer Merit Renews to the University Scholar program with completion of 24 credit hours per academic year and a Northwest cumulative GPA of 3.30. Maximum award 2 consecutive trimesters of Transfer Merit and 6 trimesters of University Scholar. award: $1,000 Cultural Enrichment Scholarship 3.00 Northwest cumulative GPA, completion of 24 credit hours per academic year and acceptable participation in Mentors Over Retention and Education program. Maximum award of 6 trimesters. award: $1,000 Bearcat Advantage See Freshman Scholarships. Maximum award of 132 total credit hours earned (including dual credit and transfer hours).



Registration and orientation dates Orientation and registration are important steps to beginning your career at Northwest. A freshman student’s orientation takes a three-part approach. In the summer, students attend SOAR where they receive information about services, resources and opportunities on campus, meet other new freshmen and meet with an advisor to receive their fall schedule. Before school starts, students attend Advantage, arriving four days ahead to get acclimated to campus, ease into a routine and actually start meeting with their Freshman Seminar class. And finally, Freshman Seminar helps guide students through the first 10 weeks of the trimester. Transfer and returning students attend an Orientation and Registration day that helps acquaint them with campus and Northwest’s student services. They also will meet with a faculty advisor to enroll in classes. Students who cannot attend one of the Orientation and Registration days are invited to attend General Registration a couple of days before school starts each trimester. Transfer students are invited, but not required, to attend , a four-day orientation held right before classes begin in the fall. They can move into their residence hall room/apartment/ suite, get acclimated to campus, make new friends before classes begin and choose from a variety of activities to attend.

Register for SOAR, Northwest’s Summer Orientation and Registration, in April 22


SOAR Directory, see a listing of your Northwest classmates

Fall 2014 (for freshmen)

Spring 2015

SOAR (Summer Orientation and Registration) Deadline to register for all dates: June 6 ■■ Friday, June 20

(for freshmen and transfer students)

■■ Saturday, June 21 ■■ Tuesday, June 24 ■■ Wednesday, June 25 ■■ Friday, June 27 ■■ Saturday, June 28 ■■ Tuesday, July 1

Invitations are sent in early April. Advantage: Aug. 21-24 Move-In Day: Aug. 21 First day of classes: Aug. 25

Orientation and Registration: ■■ Friday, Dec. 5, 2014 Deadline: Nov. 22 Invitations are sent beginning mid-Oct. or upon acceptance. General registration and orientation: Jan. 9 First day of classes: Jan. 12

Summer 2014 General registration and first day of classes: ■■ May 11 ■■ June 8

Fall 2014 (for transfer students)

■■ July 6

Orientation and Registration: ■■ Friday, April 25 Deadline: April 11

■■ Aug. 3

■■ Friday, May 23

Deadline: May 9 ■■ Thursday, July 17

Deadline: July 3 ■■ Friday, July 18

Deadline: July 3 Invitations are sent beginning mid-March or upon acceptance. General registration and orientation: Aug. 23 First day of classes: Aug. 25



Why Northwest Varsity athletics: Men’s: football, basketball, baseball, track and field, cross country, tennis Women’s: basketball, volleyball, softball, soccer, track and field, cross country, tennis and golf Three-time National Champion in football and cheerleading, National Champion wrestling club


Northwest competes on the national level in areas such as: dairy judging, debate, forensics, mock trial, soils judging, student publications and Enactus






saved per year with the textbook

rental program

$1,000+ saved

over the course of your education thanks to the laptop

rental program

Scholarships and Financial Assistance 660.562.1363

Residential Life


Students with Disabilities 800.633.1175

Call the Admissions Office toll-free at 800.633.1175 or contact the following offices at these numbers: Admissions


Advisement Assistance 660.562.1695 Financial Assistance


Wellness Services


Housing/Residential Life 660.562.1214 Orientation




Transfer Affairs


Treasurer (billing)


Student Services Center 660.562.1212 (for general information and for numbers not listed)


Northwest Missouri State University Office of Admissions 800 University Drive Maryville, MO 64468-6001 local: 660.562.1148 fax: 660.562.1821 800.633.1175

/nwmostate @NWMSUAdmissions /NorthwestVideo

Acceptance brochure 1415  
Acceptance brochure 1415  

Acceptance brochure for Northwest Missouri State University