Education requirements If you are interested in becoming a real estate agent, or are looking for information about how to maintain your license or continue your education, here is a list of the current requirements:
NEW EDUCATION REQUIREMENT FOR ALL LICENSEES
To become a licensed SALESPERSON in the state of Virginia, you must:
Residential Standard Agency (RSA) Course: The Virginia Real Estate Board has implemented a new requirement for those licensees expiring as of July 1, 2012 through June 30, 2014. All real estate licensees will be required to take an additional three-hour RSA course in order to renew their licenses.
• be 18 years of age • complete and pass the 60-hr Principles of Real Estate Course • register for PSI Virginia State and National Exam (www.psiexams.com) • get fingerprinted and have a state-wide criminal history check completed.
NEW REAL ESTATE LICENSEES (Those who have been licensed one year or less.)
To renew your real estate license for the first time in the state of Virginia, you must:
To become a licensed BROKER in the state of Virginia, you must:
• complete 30-hours of Post-Licensing Education within one year of your initial certification date with the Virginia Real Estate Board (www.dpor.virginia.gov)
• be a licensed agent for 36 out of 48 months consecutively • complete 180 classroom hours of real estate broker pre-licensing courses approved by the Virginia Real Estate Board (each course is 45-hours: Broker Appraisal, Broker Finance, Broker Law, Broker Management), OR
15-hours Mandatory Topics
• complete Broker Management plus two other of the above broker-specific courses AND one of the following broker-related courses: GRI, CCIM, CRB, SIOR, Business Law, Property Management, Real Estate Economics, Real Estate Investments, Real Estate Feasibility Analysis, Real Estate Math, Commercial Mortgage Lending, Land Planning and Use, or Urban Developments
3-hrs Agency Law
3-hrs Ethics and Standards of Conduct/Current Industry Issues & Trends
3-hrs Fair Housing
3-hrs Real Estate Law
3-hrs Offer to Purchase (Contracts)
15-hours Elective Topics
Any course approved for post-licensing elective credit
• register for PSI Virginia exam for Brokers (www.psiexams.com).
Whether you’re just starting out, or are ready to enhance your knowledge beyond the basics, NVAR Realtor® School has something to meet your needs. NVAR’s two fully-staffed locations and online options make it easy for you to focus on building your business.
To register and view complete schedule and descriptions visit www.nvar.com
This is the 2013 NVAR Realtor® School Course Catalog