Page 1

The Castle of São Filipe do Monte Brasil was built following the conquest of the island in 1583 by the troops of Filipe the 2nd of Spain, the 1st of Portugal, commanded by de Marquis of Santa Cruz. It fulfils the need of assuring the security of the Azores and Angra in particular, as a crossroad in the inter-continental maritime routes, against the threat of English buccaneers, namely Francis Drake, at the end of the 16th century. The Works began in 1592, after a project by the Italian engineers Tiburzio Spannochi, Fr. Vicenso Casale and Antão Colla. Financial restrictions were responsible for the construction lasting almost until the defeat of the Spanish garrison, in 1642, as a consequence of the nationalist upheaval on December 1st, 1640. The castle was then renamed S. João Baptista, in the honour of the Portuguese king, João the 4th. The Philippine edifice consists mainly of the walls facing Angra, sectioning the whole isthmus of Monte Brasil, including 3 strongholds and 2 half-strongholds, those at the tops, facing the bays of Angra and Fanal. This structure was connected to the minor forts of Santo António and São Diogo, respectively at the south-east and south-west ends of Monte Brasil, formerly built in the scope of Tommaso Benedetto’s plan for the linear defense of Terceira island. On the whole, and including the advanced fortified positions, the fortress walls extend for about 5 Km. Completed by the insurmountable cliffs in the south, they enclose a 3 Km2 area, probably the largest historic fortified position for only military purposes. S. João Baptista castle presently hosts the Regimento de Guarnição Nº1 (1st Garrison Regiment), Portugal and Europe’s westernmost military presence. It is also the oldest home of operational troops in Portugal, with five centuries of uninterrupted presence.

O Castelo de São Filipe do Monte Brasil foi construído na sequência de conquista da ilha em 1583 pelas tropas de Filipe II de Espanha, I de Portugal, comandadas pelo Marquês de Santa Cruz. Responde à necessidade de garantir a segurança dos Açores e de Angra em particular, ponto de confluência das rotas marítimas internacionais, face à pressão dos corsários ingleses, nomeadamente Francis Drake, nos finais do século XVI. As obras iniciaram-se em 1592, sobre projectos dos engenheiros italianos Tiburzio Spannocci, Fr Vicenso Casale e Antão Colla. Por dificuldades financeiras, prolongaram-se quase até à expulsão da guarnição espanhola, em 1642, por força do movimento nacionalista do 1º de Dezembro de 1640. O Castelo passou, então, a chamar-se de São João Baptista, em homenagem ao rei restaurador, D. João IV de Portugal. A edificação Filipina consta, fundamentalmente, da cortina virada a Angra cortando todo o istmo do Monte Brasil, de que se destacam três baluartes e dois meios baluartes, estes nos topos junto às baias de Angra e do Fanal. Ligada esta estrutura aos pequenos fortes de Santo António e São Diogo, respectivamente nas extremidades sudeste e sudoeste do mesmo monte, levantados anteriormente conforme o plano de defesa em linha da Terceira concebido por Tommaso Benedetto, e considerando as obras fortificadas avançadas, fica a fortaleza com uma extensão de aproximadamente cinco quilómetros de muralha que, completada pela rocha inacessível a sul, envolve uma área de três quilómetros quadrados. É provavelmente o maior reduto fortificado histórico para uso exclusivamente militar. No Castelo de São João Baptista está aquartelado o Regimento de Guarnição Nº1 (RG1), a última presença militar a oeste de Portugal e da Europa. É, igualmente, o aquartelamento de tropas operacionais mais antigo em Portugal, com uma permanência ininterrupta durante cinco séculos.

Castelo de S. João Baptista

Regimento de Guarnição Nº1


Levantado sobre um primeiro piso moldado no tufo – a cavalariça -, é de construção espanhola. No edifício anexo viveu D. Afonso VI o seu exílio em terras açorianas, entre 1669 e 1674. Built during the Spanish period, the first floor (the stall) was dug out of the volcanic rock. King Afonso the 6th lived his Azorean exile in the adjoining house, between 1969 and 1674. Governor’s Palace Palácio do Governador

A Porta Principal é o único acesso público à fortaleza no projecto arquitectónico original, abrese a meia altura da cortina ladeada pelos baluartes de São Pedro e Boa Nova. O acesso faziase por um passadiço de madeira que galgava o fosso, posteriormente substituído por uma ponte de cataria de dez arcos, interrompida junto à muralha para dar lugar ao portão levadiço, actualmente substituído por um simples portão. Escavado no tufo imediatamente à entrada fica o corpo-da-guarda, com as prisões filipinas. The Main Gate was the only public access to the fortress in the original architectural project. The gates open at middle-height in the wall flanked by the strongholds of São Pedro and Boa Nova. Access was designed over a wooden bridge that crossed the trench, later replaced by a 10 arched stone bridge. This bridge ended some distance away from the wall, the last step being bridged by a draw bridge. Nowadays, the stone bridge is complete, and the draw bridge has been replaced by a simple gate. The former guards quarters and the Philippine prisons are located by the entrance, dug in the volcanic rock.

Igreja Church

Covas de Lobo foram abertas no fundo do fosso, com o seu traçado descontínuo dificultavam a aproximação para minagem ou escalada da muralha Square holes were dug at the edge of the trench close to the walls. With their irregular alignment they formed an obstacle for any attempt to approach the wall with the purpose of tunnelling or scaling.

Main Entrance

Poterna ou Porta Falsa

Porta Principal

False Gate

Covas de Lobo

Planeada e começada no período espanhol, acabou por ser praticamente toda construída após a expulsão destes. Daí que seja da invocação de São João Baptista. As obras decorreram durante muitos anos, recebendo impulso decisivo durante o exílio de D Afonso VI na fortaleza que lhe acrescentou especial riqueza. Devorada por um incêndio em 1818, nunca mais recuperou o primitivo esplendor seiscentista, tendo alternado, desde então, entre local de culto e de aquartelamento. Sob a capela-mor fica a cripta para onde foram transladados os restos mortais dos governadores espanhóis aqui falecidos e sepultados nas igrejas existentes ao tempo no Castelo. Foi igualmente local de enterramento de outros governadores do Castelo. Todas as ossadas vieram a ser removidas, em tempos mais próximos, para um cemitério local. Plans and the beginning of the construction still the date from the Spanish period, but most of the construction was done already under Portuguese administration – hence the name of S João Baptista (John the Baptist), after the name of the Portuguese King Jonh the 4th. Construction lasted for many years. It received fundamental support from King Afonso the 6th, who was outcast from Lisbon and exiled at the castle between 1669 and 1674. The church burnt down in a big fire in 1818, and never recovered its 17th century splendour. Its role has subsequently alternated between a place of prayer and barracks. A crypt is located under the main chapel. It received the remains of the Spanish governors who had formerly been buried in the successive churches of the castle. It was also the burial place of the first Portuguese governors. All the remains were latterly removed to a nearby cemetery.

Disfarçadas na muralha, abriam-se quatro poternas, permitindo qualquer surtida ou recolha apressada das forças aquarteladas, estando a porta principal fechada. Hoje apenas uma, a que se encontra na cortina frontal, permite a ligação com o exterior da fortaleza. Four gates were open, camouflaged in the wall, enabling any raid or hasty recover of garrison forces when the main gate was closed. Nowadays only one of those gates remains. It opens in the middle of the front wall. Torreão da Bandeira

Cisterna Cistern Primeira estrutura a ser construída pelos espanhóis, é composta por três corpos interligados. Tem capacidade para 3000 pipas de água. The first facility built by the Spaniards, it consists of three interconnected bodies, with capacity for 3000 barrels of water.

Prisões Prisions

Ermida de Stª Catarina de Sena ou do Espírito Santo Holy Ghost Chapel

Construídas na segunda metade do século XIX. No corpo central viveu até à sua morte, em 23 de Dezembro de 1906, Gungunhana, rei de Gaza, capturado em Moçambique por Mouzinho de Albuquerque e desterrado para a Terceira em 1896. Built in the second half of the 19th century, it served as the main quarters for Gungunhana, King of Gaza, captured by the troops of Mouzinho de Albuquerque. He was exiled to Terceira island in 1896 and confined to the castle up to his dead, December 23rd, 1906.

Um dos locais de culto da guarnição espanhola. Dedicada depois à devoção ao Espírito Santo. Em finais do século XVII, o Império do Castelo era um dos mais ricos da cidade. It was one of the temples built by the Spanish garrison and, subsequently, dedicated to the Holy Ghost. By the end of the 17th century, it was considered one of the richest impérios (Holy Ghost chapels) of the city .

Flag Pole Tower Nele se diz ter sido pela primeira vez hasteada a bandeira azul e branca liberal, última da monarquia. Contíguas ficam as Baterias de D Pedro IV e de D Maria II, testemunhando a organização na Terceira do Exército que levou vitorioso o liberalismo ao território nacional. A civil war between the liberalists and absolutists took place in Portugal in the early 19th century. The blue and white liberalists flag, which happened to be also the last flag of the monarchy, is said to have been hoisted here for the first time. Adjoining this tower are the artillery batteries named after King Peter the 4th and Queen Mary the 2nd. They were named after the first two liberalist sovereigns, recalling that the liberalist army was organised on Terceira. This Army fought victoriously on the mainland, where peace was signed in 1834

Visit to the Castle  

Learn about the main historic attraction places in the fortification

Read more
Read more
Similar to
Popular now
Just for you