Page 1

Inland Northwest Edition

September – October 2013 • $3.95 ®

Waddy’s Wagon: Heroes of the Pacific

2 t Nostalgia Magazine t September-October 2013

September – October 2013 • Vol. 15, Number 5

8 14 20 24 32 38 42 44

Waddy’s Wagon Remembering My Sister’s Wedding The Forgotten Hero of Newport, WA “Oberammergau of the West” Gonzaga’s Passion Play 100 Years of Hoffman Music: “Where the Good Bands Go” A Boy and His Dogs Treasures & Memories Yesterday’s Kitchen

Send us your story! “I enjoy thinking back, and reliving! That’s the whole idea when you write these stories. You can relive them in your mind and heart, and then share them with others,” says Denny Jones, avid Nostalgia Magazine reader and story contributor. To learn more about sharing your stories and photos with the readers of Nostalgia Magazine, please visit us on the web at www.NostalgiaMagazine. net. Or, we can be reached via email at editor@ Or if you prefer, call us at (509) 443-3678, or toll-free (888) 515-7534.

“Dear Old Nat... Spokane’s Playground.” published by Nostalgia Magazine, is available for $19.95. This 144 page book is loaded with photos from the park along with the complete history, beginning in 1889. You can order your copy online at or on Facebook at or call (509) 443-3678 September-October 2013 t Nostalgia Magazine t 3

From the Editor Dear Readers,


s many of you know, in April, I took over as sole publisher and editor of Nostalgia Magazine. I have been adjusting over the summer to the new demands, and I thank you for your patience during this transition. I grew up on the North Side of Spokane, in the Indian Trail neighborhood, and I graduated from North Central High School. Then I attended Gonzaga University, majoring in history. My father, George Hertel, subscribed to Nostalgia Magazine from the beginning, and this labor of love for me, like for so many of you, stems from a desire to remain connected to the past, especially the people, places, and happenings that remain important to us all. In addition to my work as the publisher and editor of Nostalgia Magazine, I work as an adviser in Student Publications at Gonzaga University, helping students produce the Gonzaga Bulletin, the school newspaper. Over the next year and beyond, I’ll be working hard to bring you all the great stories and photos you have come to expect from Nostalgia Magazine. Will you consider sharing your family’s stories and photos? I’d love to hear from you! Send me an email to:

Publisher/Editor ........................................Garrin Hertel Publishing Consultant....................................Byron King Story Contributors.................................Gary Graupner, Shirley Kintschi McRae, Stephanie Plowman, Carol A. Byrnes, Earl C. Smith, Lisa A. Gavin, Cheryl-Anne Milsap Nostalgia Magazine (ISSN 1532-4869) is published bi-monthly, 6 times per year. P.O. Box 8466, Spokane, WA 99203. Annual subscription price is $19.95. Periodical Postage paid at Spokane, Washington. POSTMASTER: Send address changes to Nostalgia Magazine, P.O. Box 8466, Spokane, WA 99203. © 2013 Contents of this publication are copyrighted and may not be reprinted without permission. Send Inquiries and Stories to: P.O. Box 8466, Spokane, Washington 99203 Phone: (509) 443-3678

Gratefully, Garrin Hertel

helping the whole person I t’s about live the whole of life. Cottages | Senior Apartments Assisted Living | Skilled Nursing

Your editor, Then (with my Dad, George Hertel, circa 1973), and Now.

(509) 924-6161 All faiths or beliefs are welcome. 08-G1817

4 t Nostalgia Magazine t September-October 2013

To the Editor August 12, 2013

July 30, 2013



Thank you for sending me a back issue! Nostalgia is a magazine that I do not want to miss out on getting any issue. I have enjoyed your magazine for many years. There is no such thing as throwing an issue away. I pull one from the bottom of the pile, and just keep reading. They don’t get old, or out of date.

Thank you for the article on Grant Grade School in July-August issue. I have a picture of my mother’s class taken in front of Grant school. She graduated from there in 1927. On the back she wrote the names of all her classmates as well as those of her teachers and the classes they taught. I also have several of her certificates signed by some of the teachers; Improvement in Writing signed by Lilian Garlick, Athletics signed by Olive W. Bennison; Outside Reading signed by Georgia

Thanks again, Rod Kinch Washtucna, WA

2 for 1 Coupon

You Gotta See It... You Gotta Go!

New ideas, dicounts, and experts for all your Building, Design, and Remodeling needs!

October 11, 12 & 13

Spokane Fair & Expo Center October 11 -- noon to 8pm October 12-- 10am - 7pm October 13 -- 10am - 5pm

FREE Parking!

Visit for a list of exhibitors and seminars!

Coupon is good for TWO people. Total Cost/Value $8.00 No cash value. Not valid with other offers.

September-October 2013 t Nostalgia Magazine t 5

Class picture of Grant School students of 1927, including the mother of Karen Suran. Photo courtesy of the Suran Family Archives.

F. Brown dated 1925-1926. Also her Certificate of Promotion signed by principal C.W. Macomber. My Grandmother was a saver, and I have other certificates and diplomas from other schools given my mother. What a great family history lesson has been given to me. My mother died in 1945 when I was 8. I also have her diary and pictures, so with all that was left to me, I feel a closeness to my mother I wouldn’t have had with out all these records. Be a saver. You never know when something saved might mean something to someone.

6 t Nostalgia Magazine t September-October 2013

Thank you for such a wonderful magazine. Quite often there are articles that I can identify with or pertain in some way with my 16 years of living in Spokane. My heart is still with Spokane. Karen (Johnson) Suran Portland, OR

Accessible Home Construction is a group of licensed and bonded contractors with an expertise in remodeling related to accessibility. Our contractors also go through background checks similar to home healthcare workers. We know that when a loved one wants to be home, time and cost are important and the modifications can feel overwhelming. We strive to be timely, professional and give you the best value on home accessibility modifications.

We also work closely with occupational therapists, physical therapists, visiting home nurses, private and state social workers and veterans. In addition to working for private pay clients, many of our contractors are authorized as DSHS vendors, so we can do estimates for Medicaid clients. Call Today for a free consultation.

Washington Contractor #ACCESHC876B4

(509) 315-7611 | P.O. Box 836 | Spokane, WA 99210 Serving Eastern Washington and North Idaho

Your Independent Living Specialists

September-October 2013 t Nostalgia Magazine t 7

Waddy’s Wagon by


Gary Graupner

orld War Two was beginning to go badly for Japan in mid to late 1944. The Allies had been chipping away at their stronghold in the Pacific little by little, as Japan had lost a large amount of their naval power during the Battle of Midway, when the American’s sunk many of their ships, especially the aircraft carriers which they depended on. Many experts felt that it was the real turning point in the war, but the Japanese forces still occupied almost all the islands in the Pacific, as well as mainland China. When the Allies were able to get the Mariana Islands away from the Japanese, we were able to establish air bases that could strike the heart of Japan with bombs. The new B-29 Superfortress bombers were the first planes that were able to fly round trip to Tokyo, drop bombs and return to base in Saipan. These bombers were bigger, faster, and since they were pressurized, they could fly at heights 8 t Nostalgia Magazine t September-October 2013

that the B24s and B17s could not, which made them harder targets to hit. They could also carry much larger bomb loads. When World War Two started with the attack on Pearl Harbor, my father, Roy Graupner, from Newport, Washington, was two years out of high school, and was going to Central Washington College at Ellensburg. He had gotten a football scholarship to WSU, but could not find a job so he found one in Ellensburg, and transferred there. He was drafted in 1942 into the Army Air Force. In those days the Air Force was not a separate branch like today. He went to Fort Dix, New Jersey, and also somewhere in South Dakota for training, and then he was assigned to the Pacific theatre of war, in Hawaii, and eventually to Saipan in the Mariana’s. He was the radio operator on B24 Liberator bombers, and eventually when the B29s were sent to Saipan, he was on those. Saipan had been taken from the Japanese during

The crew of Waddy’s Wagon, fifth among B-29s on the initial Tokyo raid, and first landing upon return. Roy Graupner (also pictured opposite page) is seated in the middle with radio headset. Photos courtesy of The Graupner Family Archives.

1943, and although it was an American air base, there were still a lot of soldiers on the island who refused to surrender, so it was a dangerous place, and dad said that from time to time a sniper would kill soldiers stationed there, and you could never let your guard down. In addition to the Japanese,

there were a lot of nasty poisonous snakes, insects, and spiders to contend with. Anytime you are in the tropics, you have the bedbugs, lice, and all that, too, and he told me they used mosquito nets to try and keep from being bitten, but it was in vain usually. Many, including my dad, got Dengue Fever, which September-October 2013 t Nostalgia Magazine t 9

Plane wreckage off the coast of Saipan during WWII. Planes often crashed close to base on their return flights after being hit by enemy fire. Photo courtesy of the Graupner Family Archives.

caused them to lose their hair. It grew back, but never as thick as before. There were a lot of guys there who, when they had time off from the long 1500 mile bombing runs to Japan, would look for things to do to occupy their relaxing and resting time, and of course a lot of crashed planes around there, including B29s that crashed on takeoff or landing after being shot up, and a lot of Japanese planes, too, that were shot down. Many of the guys used this vast supply of junk to make rafts and sailboats to sail around in the lagoons and waters. Dad and two other guys used a Japanese 10 t Nostalgia Magazine t September-October 2013

plane’s fuel tank to make a sailboat that was featured in a news story. He said that they had to watch out for sharks, barracuda, and jellyfish, in addition to Japanese plane raids. The custom of naming an airplane and painting a picture of a sexy woman or cartoon character on the side of the plane was something most of the guys did, and Waddy’s Wagon was no exception. The name Waddy was derived from a nickname of the pilot Walter Young. “Waddy” was a big guy who played football at Oklahoma, and he is in the Football Hall of Fame there. He also played pro football for a

A sample of the damage done by enemy fire to the tail section of an American bomber. Photo courtesy of the Graupner Family Archives.

couple years before the war. He and the crew had a picture painted on the side of the plane of Waddy pulling a wagon, filled with the crew with all of them doing whatever their duties were on the plane. Dad was not a part of the early crew, and so the picture on the plane of the radio man was someone else. In the actual photograph of the crew with a real wagon, next to the plane with the cartoon on it does include dad, and he is the guy almost directly in the middle with the headset on and the dark shirt. The date of November 24th, 1944 is an important

date, since it marked the first of the B29 raids on Tokyo from Saipan. It was 1,500 miles to Tokyo, and it was well-known to the men that if you experienced engine trouble, and had to ditch in the sea, there was little chance of rescue, at least by the right side! Also, it was true that Japanese POW camps were horrible, and the men were tortured, starved, and even beheaded when taken captive from shot down bombers. Many planes made it there, dropped the bombs, and didn’t make it home, being shot up badly. Also, if a man was wounded by the machine gun September-October 2013 t Nostalgia Magazine t 11

S/Sgt Roy Graupner, radio technician and son of Mr. and Mrs. George Graupner (of Newport, WA), writes that boats claim the interest of many of the men of the Seventh Army Air Force in the Mariannas in their free time. Sail boats and motor boats and even canoes are designed and constructed from salvaged oxygen tanks, belly gas tanks, discarded engines, spare pieces of metal, wood, and canvas. Graupner (left) and two companions on one of the improvised boats. Photo and caption courtesy of the Graupner Family Archives.

fire of fighters, or shrapnel, he had a slim chance of surviving the 1,500 mile return trip. The B29s could fly at 30,000 feet to drop bombs, but the accuracy was poor from this height, and it was believed that about one in fifty bombs actually hit the target. By the end of 1944, B29s had dropped about 12 t Nostalgia Magazine t September-October 2013

1,550 tons of bombs on aircraft and steel mills in Japan. Up until this point, Japan had pretty much been able to build weapons at will, and this now changed the complexion of Japan’s ability to have any hope of victory. When the first raid happened on November 24,

1944, Waddy’s Wagon, with my dad as radio man, was the fifth plane to take off in the first group. Knowing that there would be a big press event waiting for the first plane to return, and Waddy Young being kind of a showman, they dropped their bombs, and hightailed it back to base. Being the first to arrive, and beating the group commanders back, they were swamped with reporters, and at this time they did the group picture of them all in the wagon next to the plane. The picture ran in many newspapers around the country, including the Spokane papers, and the Newport Miner didn’t run the picture itself, but made mention that Roy Graupner of Newport, WA was in the picture of Waddy’s Wagon. Since Roy was not one of the original crew, we believe that he was assigned to the crew of this plane possibly to fill-in for a crewmember who may have been killed or injured, or sick. His name is not on the roster of the crews anywhere. There were two crews assigned to each plane, so while one rested, the other crew went on missions. It gets interesting here, since he was on the plane, but never talked about it and somewhere along the line in the next six weeks he was assigned elsewhere, because on January 9th, 1945, six weeks later, while on a mission to bomb the Nakajima Aircraft Plant in Tokyo, Waddy’s Wagon was flying with another plane that was damaged and heading home, and they reportedly went into a low cloud formation to try and stay out of sight, and neither plane was ever seen or heard from again, and no traces of any of the men or the planes were ever found to this day. At that point of the war, with Japan being somewhat desperate, my dad had said that it was not unusual for a Kamikaze type suicide mission to occur where Japanese fighters would

purposely ram bombers in formation, knowing that the exploding planes could knock out other planes in the formation. This may have happened to Waddy’s Wagon, or it may have been shot down, or exploded. Since no radio contact was made while ditching, that was most likely the case. So as far as we know, Roy Graupner was the only man in this picture to have survived from the crew of Waddy’s Wagon. We don’t know why he was transferred on or off of this plane, and its probably just dumb luck that he was not on it when it was lost. He never really talked much of the war, and we didn’t ask much about it. I recall mom picking pieces of steel out of his back when I was a kid, as he told me that they would come to the surface years later. I am sure he saw a lot of misery and sadness during his time in Saipan, and yet he survived when many good men didn’t. We shouldn’t forget the Greatest Generation, who are nearly gone now. Dad died in 1982 at age 60 of a congenital heart condition that his mom was told would keep him out of the war. He used to say that when the war came, if you could fog a mirror they drafted you! During the B29 raids on Japan and Asia, the U.S. Forces lost 417 B29 planes, and had 3,015 men either killed, missing, or wounded. Obviously fate and luck play a big part in all our lives. Like the old movie, It’s A Wonderful Life, each person’s life touches so many others, that if that person was not here, it leaves a P h oto graphy B r i tta H aw kins huge hole in things. Had Roy not been transferred off S ty l e d by Waddy’s Wagon during those six weeks, our family J e n n y S ta b i l e would not be here today. g Wardrobe C a r o u s e l V i n tag e B o u t i q u e

H a i r /M a k e u p K a n d r a H a m i lto n , S e s s i o n s Model L e e a n n S h aw

September-October 2013 t Nostalgia Magazine t 13

Remembering My Sister’s Wedding by the flower girl,

S h i r l e y K i n t s c h i (M c R a e )

Pictured above: The Kintschi kids getting a ride on Dad’s workhorse in the farmyard. Pictured opposite page: June 1, 1941, wedding day of Robert Snow, Jr. and Irene Kintschi, at the Edwall Methodist Church. Photos courtesy of the Kintschi Family Archives. 14 t Nostalgia Magazine t September-October 2013


ife on the farm was always busy, but in the spring of 1941 there was more activity than usual. Our home was near Edwall, a small town in a rural farming community in Eastern Washington, where the neighbors all knew each other. My sister, Irene, was the first born in the family of Morris and Anne Kintschi. N ext c a m e t wo more girls, Bernie and then Marie. As the girls grew, each one took her turn with the milking and doing a variety of chores. On school mornings t h e g i rl s wo u l d milk, then clean up at the kitchen sink and be ready to go on the school bus by eight o’clock in the morning. Our brother, Jim (Jimmy), was the fourth born, and it wasn’t that many years before he became Dad’s righthand helper. I was born number five. Four years later Deanna came along, and our family was complete. When I started first grade, Irene was a senior. It was fun having five of us siblings going to school on the bus together. I loved the farm life as there was always something going on. At seven years old, there were ways I could help. Weeding a long row of vegetables

was like play, even without being rewarded with a penny. If the wood box on the porch was getting empty, there was split wood in the woodshed I could bring in. Also, getting a little coal in the bucket would bring praise and a smile from my mom. Sometimes, after noon I’d go to the chicken house and gather eggs from the nests free of a chicken. Irene was a pretty, popular, and active senior, and now there was a new friend in her life. The previous summer she had met Bob Snow, a city boy from Spokane, at Twinlow Bible Camp in Idaho. Bob was totally smitten with her from the beginning and called Irene his “Cinderella.” He loved to sing. One of the popular songs of the day was, “Stay in My Arms, Cinderella.” Bob was heard often around our home that winter singing that song. He made many trips to the farm. I knew he really liked Mom’s Sunday fried chicken dinners, homemade bread and pies. Maybe that was why he came so often. Deanna was only one year old when Bob met her. He immediately started calling her “Babe.” That September-October 2013 t Nostalgia Magazine t 15

Pictured this page: The Wedding Party. Pictured opposite page: Dad, Shirley, and Jimmy, with the Kintschi girls, who are ready to go to school. Dad drove the 1926 Chevy the mile through the pasture to meet the bus. Photos courtesy of the Kintschi Family Archives.

name stuck and she was “Babe” to him for the rest of his life. One day in the winter, some pajamas caught on fire while lying on the woodheater to dry. Instead of 16 t Nostalgia Magazine t September-October 2013

Mom putting it out, she said to Irene, “You put it out. You will soon need to be responsible when something like this happens in your own home.” That thought puzzled me. Why would Irene have a different home?

Irene and Bob became engaged in February. She was set to graduate from high school in May. What was this talk about a wedding? I had never been to a wedding, let alone know what it was. But it was getting attention and I was seeing changes in our comfortable, close family. When I was born in 1934, we lived in a small farmhouse with two rooms downstairs and two upstairs. As the family grew, Dad added rooms. In 1941, electricity was becoming available to the rural areas, thanks to R.E.A. (Rural Electric Association.) It reached our farm later that year, making positive changes to rural living. But until then, all cooking was done on the wood stove winter and summer. The

kitchen stove and a wood/coal heater kept us warm. The fire in the stove also provided our hot water. Who could forget those baths in the washtub in front of the wood stove on Saturday night? (Within a few years Dad enlarged the kitchen and added an indoor bathroom along with other rooms. Oh, the comforts of modern life!!!!!) That year the Edwall High School graduation took place on May 26, and was attended by families and many residents of the community. Ten classmates graduated, most of whom had been in school together for 12 years. The usual attire for the girls was a formal. Irene’s was a lovely white one. The activity continued to pick up the next week. September-October 2013 t Nostalgia Magazine t 17

18 t Nostalgia Magazine t September-October 2013

On Saturday I watched as Mom baked a 4-layered cake, decorated it with frosting and placed a bride and groom topper on it. Aunt Elizabeth Horwege came from Davenport that day to help Mom. It was a delightful time with Mom and Aunt Lizzy working together, though I remember Mom as more quiet than usual and Auntie being her perky, delightful self. In the small kitchen, a lot of food was made ready to be served the following day after the wedding. (Remember, no electric stove, microwave, refrigerator, or dishwasher, except the girls.) A perfect wedding day dawned on June 1, 1941, clear and sunny. Mom picked flowers from her garden, which were used to decorate in the Edwall Methodist Church, beautiful blooms coming into fullness at just the precise time. All was ready as numerous family and friends arrived from near and far to fill the small, white church. The wedding party consisted of the bride and groom, Bernie, as maid of honor, Irene’s classmates as bridesmaids and ushers, and Charlie Uhden as best man for his brother-in-law, Bob. And my part in this whole affair was as the flower girl. I went down the aisle just before the beautiful bride in her white formal. I wore a store-bought pink organza dress with a gored skirt and capped sleeves. I carried a small white basket filled with freshly-picked yellow rose petals from our old-fashioned rosebush in the yard. Carefully I dropped the fragrant petals, one by one, as I went down the aisle. What appeared to be a short aisle seemed long to me as I walked to the front of the church and stood by my sister, Bernie. Then came my big moment as all eyes were on me. Wedding festivities are kind of fun!!!!! After the ceremony was over, countless cars headed the eight miles southwest to the Kintschi farm. Everyone at the wedding was also invited to the reception. No wonder Mom prepared all that food! There were more cars parked outside our yard

that day than ever before. The cows looked on with wondering eyes as they made their way past the cars to the watering trough. The workhorses were in the corral near the horse barn enjoying their day off. They paid no mind to the unusual activity. The chickens went about their business of laying eggs and cackling. The cats made themselves scarce. With so many people around, I thought the cats had the right idea. A time of eating and fellowship followed, and at last the tall cake was served. Then Irene and Bob took off in his car for Seattle on their honeymoon, starting their new married life, the beginning of a happy adventure that lasted for 55 years. Finally, after a long day, the last guests left. With a sigh, Dad was heard to mutter, “Only four more daughters to go!”


ostscript: Our sister Marie was age 12 in ’41. Hearing of her sister’s upcoming marriage brought sadness to her. She thought that afterward our close family of eight would not be the same again. And she was right. Each of us kids in turn had weddings and left father and mother as God intended. The result produced six new families, 19 grandchildren and ongoing generations. Now, in this year of 2013, our mom and dad have been with their Lord for years, and there still remains a strong, endearing love between us all. g Pictured opposite page: Irene, Bernie, Marie, Jim, Shirley, and Deanna, (Babe), at home, 1939. Photo courtesy of the Kintschi Family Archives.

September-October 2013 t Nostalgia Magazine t 19

The Forgotten Hero of Newport, Washington by

Gary Graupner


y father was born in Newport, Washington, and grew up there with his two brothers and his sister. Their parents owned Graupner’s Meat Market, and when I was young, my parents would spend many weekends driving from our home in the Spokane Valley up to spend weekends there visiting his parents, and brother Gordon, who lived there in Newport. We had many fun times in those years from the early 1950’s until our grandparents were gone. Newport was a fun place for us kids, since grandpa’s house was about a hundred yards from the Great Northern and Milwaukee Road tracks. In those days, it was busy with dozens of trains a day, including passenger service. Also, along the tracks there were numerous ponds and sloughs full of birds, frogs, snakes, and even some skunks, which our golden Labrador named Buck discovered! We never got bored in Newport since everything was within walking distance, including grandpa’s store, where we knew we could always talk him out of a Hershey Bar or Ice Cream Bar. Also, Main Street had dime stores and Kimmel’s Drug where we could get a milkshake or soda. At the other end of town was the Pend Orielle River. My mother grew up in North Dakota, never learning to swim, so she was absolutely terrified that we would drown in that river, but we promised her not to swim in it, and it was too 20 t Nostalgia Magazine t September-October 2013

cold most of the time anyhow. When the river would come up in discussions, I recall my grandma and aunt Gladys telling us the story of the two boys who drowned up at Albeni Cove, a popular swimming and camping area about a mile from town. We walked up there a couple of times, and even hopped on a slow train or two which mom never knew about to save us the walk. We were about 12 or 13 at this time. The railroad tracks were a shortcut to the Cove, compared to the road. My cousin Nikki took us up there swimming a few times too, as she had her license then. We all grew up, the grandparents died, and the trips to Newport pretty much became part of fond boyhood memories. The only times I got to Newport for many years was when business took me up there to see insurance clients. When my mom passed away in 1999, we found some old photo albums and some albums full of newspaper clippings from the Spokane and Newport newspapers. Grandma had pretty much cut out any article regarding her family or friends or noteworthy events since about 1909, and mom had put them in albums. I could read everything from my dad’s appendectomy to his exploits through the war. In a small town paper, you can find most any trivial piece of news. While reading these articles, I flipped to a page with some local stories, and I saw an article titled “Last Good Turn Fatal to Scout.” I read it and it all came back to me. Yes, these were the two boys who drowned at Albeni Falls many years ago, back in 1930! I recalled that my dad’s brother Gordon, who was the same age as the older boy, had been swimming up at the Cove that day, too. Apparently it was on June 6th, so I assume school was most likely out for the summer, and of course, the lakes and rivers around here are generally too cold to do much swimming in for very long at that time of year. A group of boys had been swimming and rafting on a homemade raft of some

Albeni Falls area, early 1930s. Photo courtesy of the Graupner Family Archives.

sort, and Robert Van Ambugh, 14, and Eric Rowlands, 12 had been swimming with Emil Clausnitzer, 12 and Stanley Stanton, 14. Apparently Stanton and Van Amburgh were getting dressed on shore, preparing to head back to town. My uncle, Gordon Graupner had been there, too, earlier in the day, but had left to go home. Emil Clausnitzer decided that he wanted to go with the two older boys, so he asked them to wait for him and he jumped off the raft to swim to shore, and didn’t get too far before he began to have problems, either from the cold or exhaustion. Stanley Stanton, a Boy Scout and good swimmer, ran to the water and swam to Clausnitzer, who in panic seized Stanton, and they both sank in about 15 feet of water. The Van Amburgh boy made numerous attempts to find them when he got there, but could not. He then ran a mile to the nearest phone, and summoned the police, who eventually found the bodies with a pike pole after an

hour and a half, but it was too late to revive them even though it was attempted. Of course, the word spread throughout the town that two boys had drowned up at the Cove, also known as Upper Bay, so naturally any child who was unaccounted for, subjected their parents to the most horrible thoughts any parent can imagine! Gordon got home shortly after to find his mother in a panic, but very relieved. Obviously the town was heartsick for these boys, their parents, and their friends who had to deal with this sad beginning to summer vacation. The Clausnitzer boys parents lived near town, and his dad was employed by Humbird Lumber Mill. The Stanton boy‘s parents lived nearby and his dad worked up near Priest Lake at the Bismark Ranger Station. This story really hit me hard, recalling the warnings of my grandmother and aunt. I mentioned it to people I knew in Newport, and no one remembers anything September-October 2013 t Nostalgia Magazine t 21

about it, since most anyone who was alive and old enough to remember it would be pretty old now. I looked under Newport Cemetery recently on the internet, and saw that both boys are indeed buried there, only a stone’s throw apart. I noted the section and went up there to put flowers on my grandparents graves for Memorial Day, and looked up the two boys graves, out of respect and curiosity. The Clausnitzer boy has a headstone with his year of birth and death. However, the Stanton boy has no grave marker whatsoever, and I talked to a fellow working in the cemetery there, and he had never heard the story either, and he and I looked for the marker for poor Stanley Stanton, the brave Boy Scout hero. There is none, and we narrowed it down to where he was, but there are numerous unmarked graves. The groundskeeper told me that markers can be stolen, lost, or just deteriorate to where they are not readable. Since this was in the depression, it is possible his grief


Transmission Service Special

stricken mom and dad couldn’t even afford to give him a memorial stone! Neither boy have any parents buried there in the Newport Cemetery, so I suspect that their jobs took them elsewhere, and of course, they are long dead now. Stanley Stanton would be almost 100 years old now, had he not drowned trying to save his little friend. It makes me sad to think that this boy, who obviously was made of the right stuff, went back into the water to save his little friend Emil, and was just as much a hero as he would have been had they not drowned in his failed attempt! The Van Amburgh boy also tried to help save his friends, and I am sure he felt terrible that he couldn’t do it. I think it would be nice if some sort of plaque or memorial stone could be put on the grave of young Stanley Stanton, the forgotten Boy Scout hero, who lies in an unmarked grave, who gave his life trying to save a friend. g

Proud to be Part of the Greater Spokane Area for over 50 Years.

$29.95 Plus Filter Most Cars/Trucks Extra


(509) 534-7236 1517 E. Sprague Ave., Spokane 22 t Nostalgia Magazine t September-October 2013

L. J. (Lee) Folkins 7815 E. Valleyway, Spokane (509) 926-9595

North Pend Oreille Valley Lions Club

Scenic Excursion Train Rides Twenty-mile round trip rides between Ione and Metaline Falls, crossing the Pend Oreille River

2013 SCHEDULE July 27 & 28

October 12 & 13

Saturday: 1 pm & 3 pm Sunday: 11 am & 1 pm Train leaves from Ione Station

Saturday & Sunday: 11 am & 1 pm & 3 pm Train leaves from Ione Station

August 31 & September 1

October 19 & 20



Saturday & Sunday: 11 am & 1 pm & 3 pm Train leaves from Metaline Falls Park

Saturday & Sunday: 11 am & 1 pm & 3 pm Train leaves from Ione Station


“A new world though glasses” THIRD AUTUMN COLORS

October 5 & 6

October 26 & 27

Saturday & Sunday: 11 am & 1 pm & 3 pm Train leaves from Ione Station FIRST AUTUMN COLORS

Saturday & Sunday: 11 am & 1 pm & 3 pm Train leaves from Ione Station Costumes encouraged! GREAT PUMPKIN RIDES

For information & reservations visit our web site Or call 1-877-525-5226. Reservations highly recommended. September-October 2013 t Nostalgia Magazine t 23

“Oberammergau of the West”: Gonzaga’s “Golgotha” Passion Play, 1924 - 1925 Stephanie Plowman Gonzaga University Special Collections Librarian by


Paul R. Lynch in the role of John The Baptist. Photo courtesy of Gonzaga University Archives. (rg_1924_Golgotha_14) 24 t Nostalgia Magazine t September-October 2013

ince its beginning, Gonzaga University has offered its students a chance to participate in drama productions. From the beginning, these plays were popular with the all-male student population. Most productions were religious based. In 1924 Fr. Timothy Driscoll, S.J. Director of Dramatics prepared the way for the greatest of all of Gonzaga’s stage productions, the biblical Passion Play called “Golgotha.” At the time, no college in the Northwest had ever attempted anything so large. Composed by Fr. Dennis Kavanaugh, of St. Ignatius College, San Francisco, “Golgotha” consisted of a prologue and seven scenes, which showed several stages of the life of Jesus from the death of John the Baptist to the betrayal and subsequent crucifixion. The play required a cast of over 200 with 45 principals, not counting the orchestra and choir. After receiving permission to proceed with the idea, Fr. Driscoll sought to borrow costumes and scenery. He rented 138 costumes from San Francisco. The remaining costumes were made by the Mothers’ Club after models of the “Oberammergau Passion Play”. The scenery was designed by Carl Westrum of the Twin Cities Scenic Company and constructed

Frank J. Needles in the role of Longinus, a Roman centurion, above, and “Golgotha” 1924 program (right). Ten thousand copies of this 68 page program were printed for $2,000. Photos courtesy of Gonzaga University Archives. (rg_1924_Golgotha_15) (gp_sd_0505_01)

at his Minneapolis studio for $2900. With the support of numerous staff and Jesuits, Fr. Driscoll leased the American Theater in Spokane for the eight day run which included weekday evenings and matinees on the weekends. Fr. William Garrigan

S.J. took charge of applying the actors’ makeup. Music Director Walter Orion directed the 10 piece orchestra in a program of sacred music between the scenes. Professor Orion composed the musical themes and incidental music for the play. September-October 2013 t Nostalgia Magazine t 25

Above: Roman guards standing in a row. Opposite page: King Herod and (inset) Fr. Timothy Driscoll, S.J., Director of Dramatics and Prefect of Discipline, 1924. Photos courtesy of Gonzaga University Archives. (rg_1924_Golgotha_07) (gp_sd_0505_02) (rg_1924_Golgotha_10)

Prior to its opening, local businessmen supported the play to make sure it was an annual event. As the Spokane Chronicle wrote on March 25, 1924: “Business men and ministers of Spokane are enthused over the production of the Gonzaga passion play ‘Golgotha’ and many are working to make this production an annual event for the city of Spokane. The ‘Oberammergau of the West’ (named after the famous Passion play in Germany) is the 26 t Nostalgia Magazine t September-October 2013

slogan adopted by enterprising students of Gonzaga University.” The story quoted George A. Phillips of the Palace as saying: “I regard this as an important event in the annals of Spokane. It is an attraction that will bring a great many thousand people to Spokane, not only from a religious standpoint, but from an educational standpoint as well. Being in the hands of such an old-established institution as Gonzaga gives assurance that it will be a high-class

September-October 2013 t Nostalgia Magazine t 27

production’” Another businessman, C. E. Alexander of the Whitehouse said: “The play should create an interest not only in the community, but in the surrounding territory. I consider such a production a real civic affair rather than a private project and as such should be backed by the people of Spokane.” After two months of rehearsing, “Golgotha” opened on March 30, 1924. It was considered a huge success on campus and in Spokane. In the audience for the first show were more than 20 Catholic priests and more than 50 sisters of various orders from Spokane. The Spokane Chronicle of March 31 had 28 t Nostalgia Magazine t September-October 2013

the headline: “’Golgotha’ is Masterpiece in Hands of Gonzaga Lads.” It stated: “One of the greatest amateur productions ever staged in Spokane was presented Sunday afternoon by the Associated Students of Gonzaga University at the American Theater.” Later the story said: “200 students of the university presented it with such reverent perfection that through three hours there was scarcely a sound in the theater, off the stage.” Newspaper reviews also mention the effective mob scenes which included up to 200 students, who were in costume and makeup. One wrote in

Opposite page: The temptation and fall of Judas. Above: Judas returns the money. Below: The Garden of Gethsemane, betrayal of the Master. Photos courtesy of Gonzaga University Archives. (rg_1924_Golgotha_08), (rg_1924_Golgotha_05), (rg_1924_Golgotha_13)

September-October 2013 t Nostalgia Magazine t 29

The Condemnation. Text from scrapbook: “Pilate tries in vain to dissuade the people from demanding the death of the Master. At last, for fear of losing Caesar’s favor and his position as representative of the Roman Power in Judea, he delivers Him over to them to be crucified. ‘Take Him yourselves and crucify Him.’” Photo courtesy of Gonzaga University Archives. (rg_1924_Golgotha_PilatesCourtyard_1)

the Spokesman-Review on March 31: “They crowd the stage, of course, but there is no confusion and the first performance went through with machine like precision….There are many mob scenes in ‘Golgotha’ and they are the outstanding feature of this presentation.” Many people watched the play more than once. As the word spread, the theater became more crowded at each showing. The total receipts for the 1924 30 t Nostalgia Magazine t September-October 2013

“Golgotha” were $15,895. With about $8,000 in expenses, the remaining balance was applied to the building fund for the first residence hall, DeSmet Hall. With such monetar y success, Gonzaga’s administrators decided to put on the play annually. In 1925, Fr. Driscoll selected a cast of 240 students, many of whom assumed the same roles from the previous year. Michael Pecarovich, who had had been the 1924 sensation as Judas, returned for that role, even

though he was now a member of the Gonzaga faculty. Stage settings for the final scene were redesigned at an additional cost of $1000. Since the rented costumes from San Francisco were unavailable, substitute costumes were found in Hollywood and publicized as an additional drawing card. Performances were scheduled for the week of March 29 to April 5. One newspaper advertisement for March 25 stated: “’Golgotha’ is non-sectarian and is not intended for any particular class or sect. It bears the indorsement (sic) of all religious denominations in this city and is of the utmost interest to every person.” Even though 10,000 people saw the 1925 version of

Golgotha, the net income was only $6,202.23, while the expenses totaled $11,0170.47. While the local newspapers enthusiastically urged the play be repeated annually, the drop in revenue during the second year showed the university administration that it would not be financially advantageous to put it on annually. The president announced that it would be presented again in four years, 1929. This never came to fruition. In 1928 Fr. Driscoll directed “Golgotha” once more at Seattle College (now Seattle University). This “Oberammergau of the West” Passion play has never returned to Gonzaga, Spokane, or the Northwest. g September-October 2013 t Nostalgia Magazine t 31

100 years of Hoffman Music: “Where the Great Bands Go” by

C a r o l A. B y r n e s


E a r l C. S m i t h

Above: Hoffman Brothers on Riverside Ave, circa 1938. Opposite page: Earl Smith, 1952, father of Carol Byrnes. Earl graduated from North Central High School, and began working at Hoffman’s as a junior. Photos courtesy of Hoffman Music Co. 32 t Nostalgia Magazine t September-October 2013


he year was 1964. I rode the green City Lines bus downtown with my red John Thompson’s piano book tucked under my arm for my weekly piano lesson with Mrs. Simmons. The bus smelled of diesel and made me queasy as it swayed around the corners. I was nine years old and could hardly reach the cord to tell the driver I wanted off at Hoffman Music, next door to the ReviewChronicle building at 923 W. Riverside. I was glad that I got to hang around the store and ride home with my dad when my lesson was done. The sounds of various instruments floated up the stairway from a long hallway of classrooms in the basement of the store. I have fond memories as a very young child of Mr. Hoffman and Bill Grafmiller. Bill used to squeeze the top of my head and make bicycle horn noises to make me laugh. My dad, Earl Smith, has worked at Hoffman’s my whole life – and he has spent almost his whole life at Hoffman’s. He learned to play trumpet there as a small child, swept floors there in high school, and has sold band instruments to thousands of budding young musicians over the past sixty-three years. He’s a musician who still plays trumpet with the Shrine Band and is also a Spokane history buff. He has collected hundreds of

photos on the history of Hoffman Music Company which celebrates its hundredth year in business in September of 2013. Early History of Hoffman Music Company In 1908, William B. Hoffman  began his career in the  music  business as a salesman for a local p i a n o c o m p a ny i n Spokane. One of the stores he worked for was the Eilers Piano Co. Other leading piano stores in Spokane at that time were the Simon Piano Company and the Sherman and Clay Company. The latter was a branch store of one of the largest retail chain of  music  stores in the western U.S. They were founded in 1870, with headquarters in San Francisco, and branches in Seattle, Portland, Los Angeles, Fresno, Tacoma and Spokane.

Mr. Hoffman  continued to gain knowledge and experience, eventually opening his own music store in 1913. Then in the 1920s he and a man by the name of Van Ausdle became partners and operated a larger music store, the VanAusdle-Hoffman Music Company. It was located in downtown Spokane on the corner of Riverside and Wall. Later the business moved to the 900 block on West Riverside. They September-October 2013 t Nostalgia Magazine t 33

Piano delivery to Washington State University, 1940, with Mr. Hoffman standing to the right of the truck. Photo courtesy of Hoffman Music Co.

stocked the most popular instruments of the day, including banjos, ukuleles, guitars, drums, band instruments, accordions, Victrolas, records and sheet music. Pianos were always a mainstay and backbone of the business. In later years Mr. Hoffman enjoyed sharing stories of the business that he did in the “old days” with Bing Crosby and Al Rinker as steady customers. Most people are familiar with Bing Crosby, but few know the Al Rinker name. The Crosby and Rinker band, with Rinker’s sister, moved to California and hit the “Big Time.’ Rinker’s sister later changed her name to Mildred Bailey and became a well-known 34 t Nostalgia Magazine t September-October 2013

professional singer. When Bill Hoffman  and Van Ausdle dissolved their partnership, Chris  Hoffman, W.B. Hoffman’s brother, joined the business and the name changed from Van Ausdle-Hoffman  to  Hoffman  Brothers  Music Company. After a few more moves in the early 1930s, Hoffman Brothers Music Company settled in at 816 W. Riverside. They occupied the entire second floor of the Norfolk Building, located where the Lincoln bldg now stands. In the early 1940s, William F. Grafmiller began his career with the store, as manager of the musical instrument department, which included

Beginning in the 1940’s Hoffman Music also became a training ground for young musicians in the art of playing in the popular format of the Big Bands. Once each week, Bill Grafmiller would gather young musicians together for a rehearsal of the music of the current Era. Earl Smith upper left corner, Bill Grafmiller second from left, front row. Photo courtesy of Hoffman Music Co.

all instruments except pianos. Bill Hoffman  and bookkeeper Jim Church manned the office and took care of the piano sales department. The Norfolk was a five-story building which was devoted pretty much entirely to music and the arts, with the exception of a small sign painting shop on the third floor. Most of the rest of the 3rd floor was taken up by Maxine Doty’s Dance Studio. The fourth floor was occupied by private violin and piano teachers. And the fifth  floor included a penthouse and the

Empire Costume Shop as a support function for the dance studio. During these years, the store grew from a three or four man operation to a much larger shop. Private  music  teachers, three piano and instrument shop personnel, and six salesmen took care of Hoffman customers. Circa 1950, Chris  Hoffman  retired from the partnership, and James A. Church took his place as bookkeeper and business partner with W. B. September-October 2013 t Nostalgia Magazine t 35

Hoffman. Earl Smith also began his career at Hoffman Music in 1950. Earl was already familiar with the store. As a grade school student, he took private trumpet lessons from Bill Grafmiller, and later purchased a high quality instrument. After completing a senior year high school aptitude test, Earl found that he ranked highest in music and mechanics, so by combining these two talents, the instructor recommended that he might consider musical instrument repair. And that, along with sweeping floors and painting walls, began his long career in the music business.  Jim Church passed away in about 1955, and shortly 36 t Nostalgia Magazine t September-October 2013

thereafter Bill Grafmiller went into partnership with Bill Hoffman. During the years 1950 through the 1970s, there were still a large number of music stores that came and went, mostly in the Spokane downtown area: Guertin & Ross, Winship & Sons, Clark Evans, Russ Baily, then Baily/Mann, then Crosby/Reckord, Jack Waltman, Davis & Hosch, Garland Music, Blessing/ Thue, Spokane Music, Music World, Roy Goodman, Accordia Nova, N.W.Organ & Chime, Music City, Sampson/Ayers, Morganroth, Malecki, and Rock City.

Where the Great Bands Go In 1960, the store moved to a ground floor location, and the name changed to Hoffman  Music  Co. The new address was 923 W. Riverside, next to the Spokesman Review newspaper building. Through increased advertising, the highly successful slogan, “where the great bands go” was coined and used in advertising and on the buildings for about the next 30 years. With the location’s higher visibility, the store grew quickly in every department. The steady growth continued through the 1970s, when the rock’n roll age exploded upon the music industry. It was shortly before this period that Ernie Mcleish joined the staff,

and the store was incorporated, with Bill Hoffman, Bill Grafmiller, Earl Smith, and Ernie Mcleish as officers. Expansion and diversification seemed to be the byword during the 70s and into the 80s. Diversification included expanding the business into cameras, photo finishing, stereo & video, etc., which required more space and additional locations. At one time HMC included seven different locations: one in the valley and the others in the downtown and near downtown area. During this time the employee count was at its peak of over 30 personnel.   Occasionally, while playing in Spokane, traveling September-October 2013 t Nostalgia Magazine t 37

professional musicians would find their way into the store. Two well-known musicians, Doc Severinsen, and Merle Haggard, came in once or twice, as well as many other musicians who traveled on the road with Broadway shows. I saw my first “rock” concert at the old Spokane Coliseum with my dad. Three Dog Night opening for Steppenwolf. A band member gave him free tickets. Those who knew Earl well called him “Smitty.” 1980 to the present It was in the early 1980s that the store moved again. The Spokesman Review required more room. They decided to tear down our home of the past 20 years. The historic  Crescent Building,  one of Spokane’s oldest buildings, was razed to make room for a new building in its place.  The 1980s was a pivotal time for the business. The focus shifted back to the music business. The stereo, video, camera and photo finishing departments dropped by the way side. The valley location closed. 38 t Nostalgia Magazine t September-October 2013

The main store condensed its total inventory with the two remaining downtown music stores and moved north of the river to the former Pitney Bowes building at 1430 N Monroe. This move resulted in more convenient customer access with less traffic congestion and easier onsite parking. A few years later, Hoffman Music outgrew the Monroe location. The total percussion and consignment portion of the business was then moved a few blocks away to 440 W. Sharp, which created the sister store “Hoffman’s Music Connection” which specializes in drums and complete percussion and houses the largest musical instrument consignment and used instrument department in the Northwest.  You can visit Earl at Hoffman’s on Monroe, along with his son Allan and grandson Travis. He is still hard at work in the band department, doing what he loves, as Mr. Hoffman did so many years ago. Helping today’s musicians, young and old – where the great bands go. g

A Boy and His Dogs by


L i s a A. G av i n

rowing up during the Depression, my Dad lived on a small farm. Life was simple, filled with hard work. There was no indoor plumbing, the family’s food came from their own garden and barnyard, and the only relief from the stifling heat of summer was a trip to the local movie theater—the first air-conditioned building in town. Dad was in first grade when his two-year-old brother died. He never had another sibling. For him, companionship would come from a mix of four-legged friends. These are their stories. Fi r s t , t h e re wa s Ja c k . D a d described him as “of Airedale and Junk-yard ancestry.” Jack was patient with his boy master who would climb on his back, riding him around the yard like a horse. He was a protective dog: entry through the front yard gate was “by invitation only,” according to Dad. Many a visitor was escorted back to their car by a deep growl and bristled hair, gaining entrance only after a family member stepped out onto the porch and gave Jack the all-clear. He

only let his master down one time, in favor of the head of the house. Angry with my grandfather that day, Dad took the lard jar and smeared the back porch floor with the thick, pork-scented mixture. He hollered for his dad to come in and watched as he fell into the greasy mess. Dad ran for safety to the end of the yard, saw Jack, and gave a desperate order: ”sic him, Jack.” Jack disobeyed this command, and walked over to my grandfather, tail wagging. Jack died when he was mistaken for a wild dog, guilty of chasing a neighboring farmer’s cattle. Years later, Dad still got tears in his eyes as he described looking at the saddened farmer and asking in childhood innocence, “Why did you shoot my dog?” Prince came next, par t Colie and par t “neighborhood,” according to Dad. By this time, there were after school activities and sports to participate in, but master and dog spent their weekends together, trying to stay out of trouble! Prince liked female dogs a bit too much, eventually wandering off with a fair companion, never to be seen again. Dad understood Prince’s ways, holding no grudge. Rags came last. I think he held a special place in his master’s heart, because he was the dog Dad talked about the most to us. “Small, but with a heart as big as a skyscraper.” Rags was a peace offering from the guilty farmer who shot Jack. Full of energy, and courage, he once fought off four dogs who tried to September-October 2013 t Nostalgia Magazine t 39

A boy with his dog, on the front bumper of the family car. Photo courtesy of the Gavin Family Archives.

attack him. One day, Rags was nowhere to be found, and it looked like he had taken a cue from Prince and left with a new companion. It was on wash day a week later when my grandmother heard a familiar whine under the house as she scrubbed clothes. Rags had somehow become trapped. She sent word to her husband, who came home from work and removed some boards to rescue Rags. When the family moved to a house in town with electricity, Rags found a new hobby: chasing cars. He got hit one day, so my grandmother rolled him into a blanket and put him on the porch, sure he would not survive the night. Only, he didn’t die, so Dad moved him next to the stove for warmth, giving him small amounts of milk 40 t Nostalgia Magazine t September-October 2013

for the next several days. Rags didn’t move. Then, on the fourth night, the family gathered as usual in the parlor, and there came Rags, waging his tail and stretching out on the floor to assure his family he had no intention of leaving them. He was Dad’s last childhood companion. By the time Rags died—he met the same fate as ol’ Jack—Dad was a young man, working part time, and preparing for college. For the rest of his life, he would tell stories of his three childhood dogs. Each taught him lessons in courage, loyalty, and love. “Jack, Prince, and Rags. Three dogs. Small in the grand scheme of things, but immense in the heart of their master.” g

September-October 2013 t Nostalgia Magazine t 41

Treasures & Memories The Unique Stories Our Antiques Tell by


C h e r y l -A n n e M i l l s a p

orget “Play it again, Sam.” Forget Mr. Darcy moods, George Clooney’s looks and Rhett Butler telling Scarlet O’Hara “You should be kissed and often, and by someone who knows how.” This time of year, my favorite pick-up line from a movie is from Nora Ephron’s 1998 romantic comedy, “You’ve Got Mail.” “Don’t you love New York in the fall?” Tom Hanks writes to Meg Ryan. “It makes me want to buy school supplies. I would send you a bouquet of newly sharpened pencils if I knew your name and address.” Pencils? In September? Oh, yes, please. That is true romance. September and October are my favorite months of the year. The laziness of summer is over and the holiday madness is still far enough away to ignore. Morning traffic swells with parents driving children to school and the stores are filled with racks of back to school supplies, lunch boxes and book bags. This time of the year I have to fight the urge to buy old42 t Nostalgia Magazine t September-October 2013

fashioned black and white composition books with marbled covers. I remind myself I don’t need more glue sticks and gum erasers. Usually, I satisfy my need to celebrate the early days of fall by bringing home a pack of brand new pencils. I like the sound they make as I put words in a notebook. I like that you can use them to shade a drawing or make a rubbing, transferring an image from one object to a clean sheet of paper, or as a straight edge to draw a straight line. Sometimes, I especially like that you can snap them in half when you get frustrated. I like the way pencils disappear as you sharpen them until not much more than a stub with an eraser. I like the fact that the pencil hasn’t changed much in the last 100 years, and probably won’t change in the next 100. If they’re still around. A year or so ago, I picked up a vintage pencil holder at Roost Antiques in downtown Spokane. Made in England, the tin holder is shaped like a fat red pencil. It sits on my desk, and as a baby my granddaughter loved to pick it up and shake it like

Question: Do you still prefer pencil to computer? Share your story with Nostalgia readers. Send us an email to Image Courtesy of Cheryl-Anne Millsap

a rattle. Now, as a toddler, she will occasionally take out the pencils to play with them like Pick-up Sticks. I’m looking forward to buying wide doubleruled workbooks filled with sheets of newsprint and helping her learn to carefully, and with great effort, print out the letters of her name. Who knows? Maybe one day the pencil holder will sit on her desk, a memento from a grandmother who had a fondness for words. And then she can fill

it with with her own bright yellow pencils the color of September leaves. g

Cheryl-Anne Millsap writes about antiques and collectibles for The Spokesman-Review at www. She can be reached at September-October 2013 t Nostalgia Magazine t 43

Yesterday’s Kitchen Retro Recipes

When it didn’t all come from a box.

Popovers Ingredients 1 cup flour 1/4 teaspoon salt 7/8 cup milk 1 teaspoon melted cottolene 2 eggs beaten very light Instructions Sift flour and salt together, add milk gradually, beating continuously. Add melted Cottolene and beaten eggs. Beat batter with a Dover egg beater three or four minutes until it is perfectly smooth, creamy and full of bubbles. Pour into hissing-hot, well-greased gem cups and bake in a hot oven thirty to thirty-five minutes. They may also be baked in earthen custard cups. When baked in the latter vessel they will have a glazed appearance. Cheese Fingers Ingredients 1 Cream Cheese English walnut meats salt black pepper cayenne Cream Salad Dressing white bread Instructions Mix the Cream Cheese with an equal quantity 44 t Nostalgia Magazine t September-October 2013

of finely chopped English walnut meats; season with salt, black pepper and a few grains cayenne. Moisten with Cream Salad Dressing. Spread between thin slices of white bread and cut in strips the width of fingers. Roast Venison Ingredients venison soft cottolene salt pepper flour 3 slices of onion 6 slices of carrot 3 stalks of celery cut in inch pieces

Instructions Wipe meat with a piece of cheese-cloth wrung from cold water, spread meat generously with soft Cottolene and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place on rack in dripping pan, and dredge meat and bottom of pan with flour. Add the onion, carrot, celery. Bake one hour in a hot oven, basting every ten minutes for the first half-hour, afterwards occasionally. Serve with the following Wine Sauce. (Mutton may be prepared in same manner). November Salad Instructions Arrange thin slices of crisp Spanish onion in nests of bleached chicory leaves. Pile on onion, Jonathan apples pared and cut in onehalf inch cubes, celery hearts cut in small pieces and fresh English walnut meats cut in quarters. There should be an equal quantity of apples and celery, and one cup of nut meats to two cups each of the others. Moisten with Mayonnaise, sprinkle each portion with finely chopped green pepper. Macaroni with Tomato Sauce Ingredients 1 cup macaroni 1 1/2 cups Tomato Sauce 1/2 cup grated cheese buttered crumbs Instructions Cook the macaroni, broken in inch pieces, in boiling salted water twenty minutes. Drain, and pour over cold water to separate pieces. Mix with the Tomato Sauce. Add the grated cheese. Turn into a buttered baking dish, cover with buttered crumbs, bake twenty minutes in a hot oven.

Banana Fritters Ingredients 3 bananas 1 cup bread flour 2 teaspoons baking powder 1/4 teaspoon salt 1 tablespoon sugar 1/4 cup cream or milk 1 egg beaten very lightly 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice 1/2 tablespoon sherry wine Instructions Sift dry ingredients together twice. To beaten egg add cream and combine mixtures. Force bananas through a sieve and mix pulp with lemon juice and sherry wine; add to batter, beat thoroughly, and drop by tablespoonfuls into deep, hot Cottolene. Drain, sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with Orange Sauce.

Raspberry Ice Ingredients 4 cups water 1 3/4 cups sugar 2 cups raspberry pulp 1/4 cup orange juice 2 tablespoons lemon juice Instructions Make a syrup by boiling water and sugar twenty minutes. Mash berries and rub through a fine sieve, add orange and lemon juice, combine with syrup, strain and freeze. Shape with a cone mold and place in seed cavities of halves of cantaloupe.g

September-October 2013 t Nostalgia Magazine t 45

Classifieds Northwest Dinner Among Friends “Get Out, Enjoy Life!” A fun approach to meeting new people. Adults of all ages and stages of life are invited to join in. Dinner social’s are held every third Thursday of the month from 5:00pm - 7:00pm. Mailing address: 12402 N. Division St. #135 Spokane, WA 99218 (509) 238-9187 Contact: Cristina Antles Visit our website for upcoming location and entertainment details: Retirement Housing Options: Fairwinds Northpointe 520 E. Holland Ave, Spokane, WA 99218 (509) 468-1000 All the comforts of home without the challenges! Enjoy spacious studios, or one and two bedroom apartments. Services including in monthly rent: delicious restaurant style meals, weekly housekeeping, cable TV, and scheduled transportation for appointments, excursions and group activities. Holman Gardens 12912 E. 12th, Spokane, WA (509) 927-2300 Low monthly fees include daily main meal, nurse’s health checks, resident’s garden are, shuffleboard, and indoor swimming pool, hot tub, walking track, and computer learning center all at one of the finest facilities in Spokane. Museums: Bonner County Historical Society 611 S. Ella Ave, Sandpoint, ID 83864 (208) 263-2344 Hours: Tuesday-Saturday, 10 am to 4 pm. Fort Walla Walla Museum 755 Myra Road, Walla Walla, WA 99362 (509) 525-7703 April-December: open daily 10 am-5 pm January-March: open weekdays 10 am-4 pm Grant County Historical Museum & Village 742 Basin Street North, Ephrata, WA 98823 (509) 754-3334 The Village opens the first weekend in May through the end of September. The museum hours are from 10 am to 5 pm, daily, and 1 pm to 4 pm on Sunday. The museum is closed on Wednesdays. 46 t Nostalgia Magazine t September-October 2013

Lincoln County Museum & Visitor Information Center 600 7thd Street, Davenport, WA 99122 (509) 725-6711 May 1st through September 30th. Hours: MondaySaturday, 9 am to 5 pm or by appointment. Loon Lake Historical Society P.O. Box 26, Loon Lake, WA 99148 (509) 233-2222 Hours: Saturday, 11 am to 1 pm; Tuesday, 6 pm to 8 pm; or by appointment. Museum of North Idaho 115 Northwest Blvd, Coeur d’ Alene, ID 83814 (208) 664-3448 Open Tuesday through Saturday, 11 am to 5 pm. The research library is available by appointment. Northwest Museum of Arts & Culture Eastern Washing State Historical Society 2316 W. First Ave, Spokane, WA 99204 (509) 456-3931 Nostalgic Reflections 24203 E. Dalke, Otis Orchards, WA 99027 (509) 226-3522 Call for hours of operation. Pend Oreille County Historical Society 402 S. Washington Ave, Newport, WA (509) 447-5388 Opens in May: Hours 10 am to 4 pm, 7 days a week. Southeast Spokane County Historical Society & Museum East 301 Main, P.O. Box 426, Fairfield, WA 99012 (509) 443-9767 Collecting and preserving the history of Southeast Spokane County. Spokane Valley Heritage Museum 12114 E. Sprague Ave, Spokane Valley, WA Call for hours: (509) 922-4570. Stevens County Historical Society Keller Heritage Center 700 N. Wynne St, Colville, WA (509) 684-5968 Hours: May-September, 1 pm to 4 pm; June-August, 10 am to 4 pm.

Order Your Subscription Today!

Yes! Start my Subscription to Nostalgia Immediately! Published 6 Times per Year

o 1 Year $19.95

o 2 Years $38.95


Name___________________________________________ Address_________________________________________ City_____________________________________________ State__________________ Zip_______________________

“The Davenport Hotel” A book of stories and historic photographs

“There, in a country where scores of easterners are still confident that the true beneficence of civilization has not beamed ubiquitously, the most modern hotel in the United States is climbing aloft. It is to be the Davenport Hotel.”

Western Architect Magazine, July 1913

Phone Number:__________________________________

How about a gift subscription for a friend or family member? Attach an additional sheet if necessary.

Name___________________________________________ Address_________________________________________ City_____________________________________________ State__________________ Zip_______________________


Send Gift Card From:______________________________

Message On Gift Card:

You can order your copy online at Just $9.95

Most back issues are available from October 1999 for $4.00 each, plus shipping. Visit for a complete story index listing.

or call (888) 515-7534 (509) 443-3678

Mail To: Nostalgia Magazine P.O. Box 8466 • Spokane, WA 99203

All Orders Must Include Payment.

For faster service, call (888) 515-7534 or (509) 443-3678

September-October 2013 t Nostalgia Magazine t 47

Nostalgia Magazine makes a great gift! Order a gift subscription for someone you love, and help your friends and family remember the good times! $19.95 per year. (509) 443-3678

Nostalgia Magazine - Sept/Oct 2013

Read more
Read more
Similar to
Popular now
Just for you