Page 50

CDL/CLP INFORMATION Telecommunications work often requires the use of large, heavy equipment that must be driven to and from job sites, so many utility and construction companies require that their workers possess a Class A commercial driver’s license (CDL). For this reason, Telecommunications Lineworker Program students are strongly encouraged to obtain their commercial learner’s permit (CLP) prior to graduation; however, obtaining a CDL or CLP is not required for graduation from the TLP. The CLP is the first step to obtaining a CDL later, and having a CLP makes you more attractive to employers.


NLC recommends that you obtain your CLP or CDL prior to starting the Telecommunications Lineworker Program, if possible. Requirements vary from state to state, so check with your local DMV for specifics. Please refer to the following requirements for obtaining a commercial learner‘s permit (CLP) in states where NLC offers the Telecommunications Lineworker Program.


CLASS A CDL WITH AIR BRAKES ENDORSEMENT REQUIREMENTS If you haven’t yet learned how to drive a vehicle with standard transmission (stick-shift), that’s a good place to begin the process. For more detailed information on the steps listed below, please visit To obtain a Class A CDL with air brakes endorsement in the state of Idaho, you must • obtain a CDL manual at a DMV or at; • complete a Self-Certification of Driving Category form; • take the required written tests; • obtain a CDL instruction permit; • take the skills test and obtain a receipt; • DOT medical card recommended, but not required.


Profile for Northwest Lineman College

2019 Career Programs Vol 3 (FL,TX)  

2019 Career Programs Vol 3 (FL,TX)