BA (Hons.) GRAPHIC DESIGN Module Code
DESIGN PRACTICE 3
END OF MODULE SELF-EVALUATION NAME
1. What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them? One of the key elements to this module for me was developing some of the skills I already had, for example publication design working with typography and layout, but I also found it to be a good point to really push my self and develop new skills such as book binding, various methods, and traditional printing methods. There where also areas within graphic design I wanted to investigate and challenge my self with; branding, publication design, packaging design and application design. Unfortunately I was unable to achieve all of these but I fortunately achieved most. In terms of the effectiveness in which I applied them to my specific brief, I think this was achieved to a high standard, through peer feedback and crits it came across that there was a noticeable improvement in my crafting skills regarding book binging but also the technical side of the briefs as well, the composition and clarity of a publication or the consistence and structure of a brand and logo. This exactly what I set out to achieve and to a certain extent I feel I have met my goals.
2. What approaches to/methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process? As previously written I have taken this module as an opportunity to further my knowledge on several areas within design, including production. This new/revised knowledge on areas such as book binding, digital print and traditional print has aloud me to create a much more comprehensive and well-made range of products. In terms of how this has effected my design development in some instances it has made it a quicker and smoother process with the new knowledge I have learnt for example when using InDesign being able to use the program more efficiently allows for a better and clearer method of production. Other aspects that have influenced my design development process is working with a collaborator or client, in cases such as these it is necessary to change your working pattern in some cases. This has impacted on the way I would personally develop work I think in terms of working for a client this is for the better because there are much stricter deadlines and straightforward feedback.
3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these? I now feel much more confident in my abilities as a designer which is something that has been lacking in previous years and modules, this is for a multitude of reasons, firstly through the work I have produced and the level I have produced it to (much higher than before), secondly from the critical feedback I have received from tutor and peers which has aloud me to not only better my work but also realise I am working at a much better standard. Thirdly because of the work I have been doing with inpress and selling and exposing my work to a wider audience, rather than exclusively students, gaining praise and good feedback. Although confidence in my work is perhaps is not a strength in the work itself I feel I will be able to capitalise on this to create better work to a higher standard
4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future? Despite being generally pleased with the work I have produced within this module the amount of work is not up to the standard I think it should be nor is the documentation of this work which inevitably will produce results that I am not satisfied with. I need to become a more efficient worker and leave procrastination at the door. Another detriment to my practice I have find is that I begin to get bogged down with work I should have already done and this stops me following up other prospects such as competition briefs, live briefs and other such opportunities. Although this has been a weakness I don始t foresee it being a huge problem but something that is easily rectifiable.
5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these? Organise time more effectively. Avoid procrastination and distractions. Organise any printed information/crit feedback more effectively. Create a larger body of work to fully explore a brief. Set my self more deadlines/structured deadlines and stick to them where possible.
6.How would you grade yourself on the following areas: (please indicate using an 驶x始) 5= excellent, 4 = very good, 3 = good, 2 = average, 1 = poor 1 2 3 4 5 x Attendance x Punctuality x Motivation x Commitment x Quantity of work produced x Quality of work produced x Contribution to the group The evaluation of your work is an important part of the assessment criteria and represents a percentage of the overall grade. It is essential that you give yourself enough time to complete your written evaluation fully and with appropriate depth and level of self-reflection. If you have any questions relating to the self evaluation process speak to a member of staff as soon as possible.