Page 1

an Associate College of

Cambridge Ruskin International College

Pre-departure Guide 2008/2009

Cambridge United Kingdom

Contents 1. Preparing to leave home . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1 Entry clearance or visa . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2 Travel arrangements . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5 Important documents . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5 Additional information . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6

2. Arriving in the UK . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 7 Customs and quarantine . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . How to get to CRIC . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Heathrow . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Gatwick . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . By taxi . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Where to go when you arrive in Cambridge . . . . . . . Useful facilities in Cambridge city centre . . . . . . . . Who needs to register with the Police? . . . . . . . . . .

7 7 7 7 8 8 9 9

3. Living in the UK . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10 Things to see and do in the Cambridge area . . . . . . . . Parks and green spaces . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Sport and leisure . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Museums and galleries . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Bars, restaurants and entertainment . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Shopping .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Things to see and do in London . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Travelling in London . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Travelling around Europe . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . The weather . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Average temperatures . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Food / shopping . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Public transport . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Travelling by coach . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

10 10 10 10 10 10 11 11 12 12 13 13 13 13

Travelling by train . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Employment . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . National Insurance . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Council Tax Exemption . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Personal safety: roads, cycling and walking . . . . . . . . Accommodation . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Healthcare . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Medical treatment .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Hospitals . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Do I need medical insurance? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Dealing with emergencies . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Living in the UK as a Minor (under 18) . . . . . . . . . . . . . British customs . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

4. Financial Matters . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 20 Payment of tuition fees . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 20 Bank transfer . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 20 Personal, company or bankers cheque . . . . . . . . . . . ..20 Currency . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 20 Cash . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 20 Travellers’ cheques . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 21 Credit Card . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 21 Debit or switch card .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 21 Cost of living . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 21 Typical basic living costs . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 22

5. Getting Started at CRIC . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 23 Orientation and enrolment . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 23 CRIC ofďŹ ce hours . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 23 Services and facilities . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 23

Cambridge Ruskin International College Coslett Building (Cos 416) Anglia Ruskin University East Road Cambridge CB1 1PT United Kingdom CRIC Cambridge, United Kingdom

13 14 14 14 14 15 16 16 17 17 18 18 18

Telephone Fax Email Web

+44 (0) 1223 695700 +44 (0) 1223 698763

Pre-departure Guide September 2008

Introduction Congratulations on being offered a place to study at Cambridge Ruskin International College (CRIC) in association with Anglia Ruskin University (ARU). Our staff are looking forward to helping you with all the important aspects of living and studying in the UK. Please take time to look through this Pre-Departure Guide before departing for the UK. The information it contains is designed to help you prepare for travelling, living and studying in the UK. Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you need further information before you depart. For further information and assistance with your: • Airport pick-up • Arrival • Accommodation please contact: Mr Andrew Richards, Manager of Support Se Services Service cess For further information or clarification about your: • Letter of admission • Acceptance of admission form • Visa support documents • Confirmation of admission please contact: Ms Kerry Thompson, Admission Manager We wish you a very safe journey to the UK and look forward tto o welcoming you to CRIC. The CRIC emergency phone number is 07976 266432 (Andrew Richards) and can be used if you are arriving outside office hours and experience any difficulty.


Preparing to Leave Home Entry clearance or visa When planning your studies abroad you should investigate which type of entry clearance you require for the UK. The entry clearance given to people who are entering the UK to study is called a Student Visa. The notes below are intended for guidance only. For complete information on the requirements that apply in your country please check with your local British Embassy (see follow links for ‘about us’ and then ‘UK Embassies Overseas’) or with your local CRIC representative. For UK Government information on general requirements for visa applications, application forms and official guidelines, see You can also seek advice from the Education Counselling Service at your local branch of the British Council. Check to see if there is an office near you at http://www.britishcouncil. org/home-contact-worldwide.htm. If you intend to request advice from your nearest consulate, please note that some consulates do not provide a visa service and require you to contact the main British Embassy in your country. The British Embassy can advise you regarding their local entry clearance system and the cost of the application process. Certain embassies will send you the application forms and guidance booklet by post, while others will require you to collect them in person. Some embassies require you to bring in your completed application form in person so that they can check your application form and supporting documents before submitting them for a decision; while others will accept applications by post and give decisions by post. It is


common for embassies to have very long waiting lists for student visa interviews or to take a long time to process applications, especially at busy periods in the year. You should make sure you have all the information you need about the visa application process so that when you receive your letter of offer and visa support documentation from CRIC, you can apply for your visa without delay. Check with your local British Embassy so that you can make sure that you have sufficient time to obtain your student visa before your intended date of travel to the UK. If you are unable to obtain your student visa in time for the start of your intake semester, you might need to consider deferring your offer to the following semester. If you find yourself in this situation contact the CRIC office for advice. When completing your visa application form or at your visa interview please remember the following: The entry clearance officer will ask you to demonstrate: • Proof of full-time student status – i.e. that you will be a full-time student at CRIC on a degree pathway leading to a degree from the Anglia Ruskin University. You should show the entry clearance officer your CRIC confirmation of admission letter and support documents. We will have couriered these to you or your agent after you have paid your deposit. These confirm receipt of your payment of fees and contain all the information the visa officer needs about your offer and your acceptance of this offer. • Appropriate qualifications - that you have the appropriate qualifications to undertake

the programme you will be studying. You should produce evidence of your current qualifications. These should be in the form of original certificates and documents, as photocopies will not be accepted. • Knowledge of the programme - that you have an in-depth knowledge of the programme you intend to study, including the subjects you will be studying, and be able to provide reasons why you wish to study in the UK rather than your own country. Make sure you have read and understand our prospectus and website. • Sufficient English language ability - that you have English language skills appropriate for the level of course you will be studying. If you have taken an IELTS test or a similar English Language qualification, please ensure you have the original documentation to prove this. If you have taken the Navitas English Language test, please ensure that you have a copy of one of our informal certificates, which explains to the visa officer that you have been tested and that your performance on the test has been assessed by us. If you have taken the Navitas test and do not have a copy of this documentation, please contact CRIC. • Ability to pay fees - i.e. that you have the financial resources to afford the

course you are registered for. In order to receive your visa support documents and confirmation of admission letter from us, you will need to pay a minimum of one semester’s tuition fees. We will only refund these fees if you do not obtain your visa to study in the UK. Please refer to the CRIC refund policy in the brochure. It is important that the visa officer is aware that you have paid your tuition fees and, in addition to your Confirmation of Admission letter, it is also advisable to have a receipt confirming your payment of these fees. • The entry clearance officer may ask you for information about where you will be living while you are studying in the UK. • If you are going to stay in on-campus accommodation and have booked and paid a deposit for your accommodation, you should provide the documents relating to these arrangements. If you require accommodation at CRIC and have not booked, please contact Mr Andrew Richards at andrew.richards@ as soon as possible. • If you are going to stay with friends or relatives you should provide documents from them confirming that you will be doing this. These should confirm that the person you will be staying with legally own/


rents the property, has enough space to accommodate you legally, and has given you express permission to live with him/her for the duration of your studies. • If you have arranged private rented accommodation you should provide the contract for the property and evidence that you have paid a deposit or rent in advance. The entry clearance officer will require you to provide evidence that you have enough money to cover your tuition and living expenses. Students wishing to enter the UK with spouse or partner will have to provide evidence that they have sufficient money to support themselves and their dependants for the duration of their studies. You should be able to provide a bank statement showing that you have sufficient funds for the whole duration of your studies. These should be on an original bank letterhead, as print-outs from ATMs or internet banking sites will not be accepted. • If you are being sponsored by your parents you will need to provide a letter from them stating how much money you will be given and how often, together with a letter from the bank or bank statement showing that they have these funds available. You will also need a letter from their employer or company accounts (if self-employed) showing that their income will be sufficient to continue supporting you throughout your studies. • If a company or charity is sponsoring you, you should provide a letter from the organisation confirming how much money they will give, how often and for how long. If they are only paying your tuition fees you will still have to provide evidence that you have sufficient savings of your own or other funding for living expenses. The entry clearance officer may ask for more


information, such as company accounts or publicity material on companies or charities that are not well known. • If you will be taking a student loan from a bank or another source you should provide evidence that your loan has been approved. International students may work part time, up to a maximum of 20 hours per week, whilst they are studying in the UK, but projected earnings from such employment cannot be used as proof of sufficient resources to pay tuition fees and living expenses. • If you receive a student visa which is valid for more than one year, your spouse or partner may be given permission to work in the UK whilst you are studying, but projected earnings for such employment in the UK cannot be used as proof of sufficient resources to support both of you. Having insufficient financial resources or failing to provide details about sponsors may result in your student visa application being rejected. You should make sure that you are aware of the total amount of money you will need to fund your studies in the UK. You should be able to demonstrate that you already have sufficient money or explain to the entry clearance officer how you are going to obtain this money. An estimated cost of study is clearly listed in your Confirmation of Admission letter. Please refer to this as guidelines to the resources you need to prove are available to you. The entry clearance officer will need to ensure that you intend leaving the UK on completion of your studies. In order to satisfy this criterion, you should note the following: • You should be able to show that there are job opportunities in your country in the fields you are studying.

• You should be able to show that you have personal ties in your home country, which will increase the likelihood that you will return home at the end of your studies. • It can sometimes be difficult for students to obtain both a student visa and a dependent’s visa for their spouse or partner as entry clearance officers may be wary that you do not intend to return home, but intend to settle in the UK at the end of your studies. Importantly, the information above serves only as a guide and is not necessarily exhaustive. The entry clearance officer may ask you to provide additional information and/ or documentation. You will also need a biometric ID card which includes electronic scans of your fingerprints and full-face digital photograph. Your visa will not be processed until this information has been collected. For more information, see biometricvisa/. In addition, students from some countries may have to provide proof of vaccinations, chest x-ray and/or a health certificate. Some students may also have to undergo a medical check before they can enter the UK. You should check with the British Embassy whether you will have to provide evidence of your medical history either when you apply for your student visa or upon entry to the UK.

Travel Arrangements Many students travel to and from the UK at the beginning and end of each semester, and therefore flights can be heavily oversubscribed at these times. It is advisable to make a flight booking as soon as you have confirmed your enrolment with CRIC.

Orientation is held on the Wednesday before the commencement of each semester, and it is very important that all new students attend. You should try to arrive in the UK three to five days prior to Orientation to allow time to settle in, arrange accommodation and become familiar with the campus, local transport and surrounding areas. Students who arrive in the UK late and miss Orientation may find it more difficult to adjust and will have fewer options with regard to subject choice and timetable selection. Students who cannot arrive by the first day of teaching will miss valuable introductions to their modules/programmes and they must contact CRIC to seek permission for late arrival. If permission is granted, it is on the understanding that it is the student’s responsibility to catch up on any academic work that may have been missed. Please ensure that you contact us with your flight details as soon as your flight is booked. Please contact the Manager of Support Services, Mr Andrew Richards, at if you have any travel-related concerns.

Important documents You should bring the following documents with you to the UK as they will be required throughout various stages of your stay: • A valid passport and student visa • Four passport sized photographs* • Your initial letter of admission and support documents from CRIC • Certified copies or originals of your academic transcripts (including evidence of English proficiency)


• Personal Identification (e.g. driver’s licence, birth certificate, etc.) • Any medical prescriptions/certificates/ history/reports • Full details of your accommodation in the UK • Evidence of funds – personal or family resources, confirmation of sponsorship • Proof of your address in your home country • Contact numbers for any family/friends in the UK • Contact details of family/friends in the event of an emergency *It is useful to bring a number of small (passport-sized) full-face photographs, as these are often required for various cards (such as student rail cards) and for Police registration (if required). Photographs can be obtained in the UK, but may be more expensive than in your home country.

Additional Information Student dress codes in the UK are normally casual. The general rule is to wear something in which you feel comfortable. Most students wear jeans and trainers to lectures. It is important to ensure that what you wear is not potentially offensive to the people you will encounter (your lecturers or fellow students, for example) in the UK. The temperature can rise to 30 degrees Celsius in the summer, so you will need light clothing such as T-shirts, shorts, skirts, dresses, hat, swimwear, sandals. In the winter it can drop to below zero degrees Celsius, so you will also need warmer clothing such as jeans, jumpers/ sweaters, thick jackets, raincoat, long socks, gloves, scarves, winter shoes. You can pick up most of these things relatively cheaply in Cambridge, but you may wish to bring some personal items (basic toiletries - toothbrush, soap, towel, etc.) so that you do not need to go shopping when you arrive. We also advise that you bring a spare pair of spectacles or contact lenses and a current optical prescription, as these items are expensive in the UK. The electricity supply in the UK has a much higher voltage that some countries outside Europe. Before packing any electrical appliances, please check that they are compatible with the UK electricity supply, and buy adapters where necessary.


Arriving in the UK Customs and quarantine Students arriving in the UK will have to undergo a number of formalities before they can enter. You will need to pass through immigration controls and customs. You should ensure that you have the following available in your hand luggage when you arrive in the UK: • Valid passport • Valid visa or entry certificate • Evidence of funding – personal or family resources, confirmation of sponsorship • The letter from CRIC confirming your place of study as a full-time student • Recent medical report including x-ray results (check with the British Embassy in your country if this applies to you). You may be asked for additional information regarding your proposed studies in the UK. Immigration procedures at British Airports can be stringent and may result in a considerable delay at the end of your flight, especially during peak traffic periods. To assist the immigration officials keep all your documents available and be prepared to wait patiently. It is very important that we know when you are arriving and where you intend to stay in the UK. Please contact us with your flight details as soon as you book your flights and, if staying in private accommodation, a UK address and telephone number. We can then ensure that your arrival into the UK is as smooth as possible.

How to get to CRIC By Public Transport, travelling from: Heathrow Airport At the airport’s central bus station you can get a National Express bus (787) that takes you to Parkside bus station in Cambridge which is approximately a five minute walk from the University’s main campus. You should ask the driver to make sure you are on the correct bus. If you wish to travel by train you will need to take the London Underground (Tube) from Heathrow to London King Cross station. From there you can take the train to Cambridge. There are regular trains to Cambridge form London. From the train station take you will need to take a short taxi journey to the University’s main campus. The total cost of this is approximately £28.00. The approximate traveling time, excluding waiting for tube or trains, is two hours.

Gatwick Airport At the airport’s central bus station you can get a National Express bus (717) that will take you to Parkside bus station in Cambridge which is approximately a five minute walk from the University’s main campus. You should ask the driver to make sure you are on the correct bus.


By taxi There will be plenty of taxis outside of the airport’s terminal. Please ensure you have the full address of the University or your offcampus accommodation and the emergency mobile number - 07976 266432 - in case the driver gets lost. A taxi from Heathrow should cost around £100 if you have not booked in advance. The campus of Anglia Ruskin University at which CRIC is based can be found on East Road, Cambridge, CB1 1PT, and the CRIC office is in the Coslett Building, on the fourth floor. A map of Cambridge, showing the location of Anglia Ruskin University, and a map of the Cambridge campus, to help you locate CRIC, can be found on ruskin/en/home/about/findus.html.

Where to go when you arrive in Cambridge If you are arriving during office hours (Monday – Friday, 8.30am – 5.00pm) ask to be taken to Anglia Ruskin University. On arriving at the campus please report to Reception where they will contact CRIC and a member of CRIC staff will come and meet you. If you are travelling outside office hours and staying off-campus, please make sure we know when your flight will arrive and are aware of your accommodation address. If you are travelling outside office hours and staying on-campus, please make sure to inform us well in advance of your expected time of arrival. We will then ask the Halls of Residence Manager to leave your keys with the security office which is staffed 24-hours a day. Please ask



your taxi driver to drive you to the Anglia Ruskin University Campus. The taxi should drop you at the main entrance where the security guard is based. The security guard will be expecting you and will help you to your room.

Useful facilities in Cambridge City Centre

Who needs to register with the police? Certain nationalities are required to register with the UK Police on arrival. This is also stated as a condition of some students’ visas and will be clearly indicated in your passport when you receive the student visa; ‘Please register with the Police within seven days’.

Cambridge city centre has a huge array of independent shops and boutiques side by side with all the high street shops that you would expect to see in the UK; all of the major high street banks and building societies (including branches of HSBC, Barclays, Lloyds, NatWest); the brand new Grand Arcade shopping centre (; numerous restaurants, bars and public houses; dentists, several doctors surgeries; and Cambridge Market, which is open seven days a week.

Students from the following countries will need to register with the local Police:

The Grafton Centre houses a cinema, shops, restaurants and bars, and is a five minute walk from Anglia Ruskin University campus (turn left out of the Main Campus entrance and walk along East Road, The Grafton Centre is on the left). See for more information.

As part of the Orientation programme we will arrange for the police to come in to CRIC to register you. As long as you make sure you attend this session you will not need to worry about finding the police station. If you are unable to attend this session, please inform us when you arrive and we will give you full details about where to go and who to speak to. Please note that this registration is an official requirement for administrative purposes and nothing to worry about. Generally the Police in the UK have a reputation for being very kind and helpful.

Numerous supermarkets, such as ASDA and Sainsbury’s, all within ten minutes walking distance, as well as speciality shops such as a Halal butchers on Mill Road five minutes walk from Anglia Ruskin University campus).

Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Belarus, Bolivia, Brazil, China, Colombia, Cuba, Egypt, Georgia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kirgizstan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Moldova, Morocco, North Korea, Oman, Palestine, Peru, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, UAE, Ukraine, Uzbekistan and Yemen.


Living in the UK Things to see and do in the Cambridge area CRIC students have the advantage of studying in one of the UK’s most beautiful and historic cities. Regarded as a jewel in England’s crown, Cambridge is a compact, cosmopolitan city with a vast number of places to visit and things to do.

Parks and Green Spaces Cambridge is a green city. The fen landscape flows into the centre along the river Cam, with cows grazing within sight of Kings College Chapel. You can picnic under the trees along The Backs and admire the stunning displays of flowering bulbs in spring, or spend time in beautifully kept College grounds. The public parks and commons provide a paradise for lovers of sports with numerous football pitches, cricket greens and tennis courts.

Sport and Leisure There are numerous sports and leisure facilities to keep fitness fanatics entertained indefinitely. Cambridge is a city of cyclists and bikes can be bought or hired for exploring the city and beyond. Visit the longest outdoor swimming pool in the country at Jesus Green, ride the water flumes at Parkside Pools or enjoy a game of tennis at one of the public outdoor courts. Cambridge is also home to no less than two football teams. Cambridge United, who play in the Blue Square Premier Division, and Cambridge City, who play in the Blue Square South Division. There are also a number of health & fitness centres available to students in Cambridge, including one on the ARU campus.


Museums and Galleries Museums and Art Galleries are plentiful in Cambridge. On the same day you could marvel at ancient Egyptian relics in the Fitzwilliam Museum (which has been described as ‘the finest small museum in Europe’), visit the North and South Poles at the Scott Polar Institute, take a look at the original specimens that Darwin collected on his famous trip on The Beagle at the Museum of Zoology and take in some modern art at Kettle’s Yard - and all within walking distance of each other.

Bars, Restaurants and Entertainment The selection of bars, restaurants and entertainment venues in Cambridge is endless, with something for even the most discerning palates. A massive selection of world cuisine, with restaurants ranging from Michelin Star quality to fast food, bars ranging from the classic British pubs to stylish Moroccan nightclubs, no less than four prestigious theatres in the city, three multi-screen cinemas, three large concert halls for classical and rock music and any number of smaller venues for drama, dance, comedy and music of all kinds.

Shopping Cambridge is a shopper’s paradise with a huge array of shops. There are two brand new shopping centres, full of designer goodies, to explore as well as the traditional bustling stalls of the outdoor markets. The Market Square is home to the Cambridge Market which has had stalls trading since the Saxon times. During the week you can find everything from books,

clothes and bric-a-brac to fresh fruit and vegetables. On Sunday there is a flourishing farmer’s market selling local organic produce.

Things to see and do in London In addition to all of the above, Cambridge is only a forty-five minute train journey from the UK’s capital city, London. The CRIC staff have made some suggestions, below, of some of our favourite things to see and do in London: • The British Museum (free entry) • Buckingham Palace –

• Kew Gardens

• Hampton Court Palace

• National Portrait Gallery (free entry)

• Hyde Park / Kensington Gardens / Regent’s Park (free entry)

• Portobello Road Market (free entry)

• The National Gallery

• The London Eye

• St Paul’s Cathedral (free entry)

• Watch a Premier League British football game at one of the popular stadiums in London - Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham Hotspur, West Ham, Charlton Athletic, or Fulham

• Tate Gallery • The Tower of London • Victoria and Albert Museum (free entry) • Westminster Abbey (free entry) • A Night at the Theatre in London’s West End • Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre • The Royal Albert Hall

Travelling in London Central London is forty-five minutes from Cambridge train station. The fastest and easiest option is to travel from Cambridge station on the fast train to Kings Cross and to get off at either Kings Cross or Finsbury Park. Both of these stations have London Underground connections. You can, for example, take the Piccadilly Line (WEST BOUND) to Leicester Square (for an evening out) or the Victoria Line (SOUTH BOUND) to


Oxford Circus (for a day of shopping) from either Kings Cross or Finsbury Park. Finsbury Park is a smaller station and may be easier to navigate on your first trip. Train times from Cambridge to Finsbury Park or Kings Cross can be found on If you are prepared to use off-peak trains and pre-book your journeys, you can travel between Cambridge and London for as little as £6.00. We normally recommend that if you have never been to London, you should travel down and back during the daytime for your first visit. Thereafter, if you plan to go to London during the evening, you should normally try to travel with a friend, rather than by yourself, especially if you plan to travel back late at night. Please also ensure that you have checked return train times when planning your journey, as trains are much less frequent late at night and the London Underground service normally finishes at about 11.30pm. Transport for London offer a journey planner service ( which is also available on mobile phone. CRIC’s Manager of Support Services, Mr Andrew Richards, knows London well and will be more than happy to give you more specific help or advice concerning travelling to London.

Travelling around Europe For students based in the UK, travelling around Europe is relatively cheap and easy, with flights to mainland Europe as cheap as £20.00 return on some of the ‘no-frills’ airlines. Check out Ryan Air, EasyJet, BMI to see how affordable flights can be. Many nationalities in the UK don’t need to get a visa before going on holiday in Europe but if you do we’ll assist you with the documentation. It’s normally fairly easy to get these visas.


Some recommendations from the CRIC staff: • Lech and Kitzbuhel, Austria – some of the choicest downhill skiing in the World in the western reaches of the Alps • Vienna, Austria – a city famous for Beethoven, Freud and Klimt • Paris, France – home of the famous tower, the Arc de Triomphe, cafes, bistros and haute couture • St Tropez – very fashionable haunt of the rich and famous • The Greek Islands – quiet, peaceful, great swimming and fantastic food • The Acropolis, Athens, Greece – the most important ancient monument in the western world • Rome, Italy – great for a weekend • Florence - the heart of the Renaissance • Venice – Magical home of the gondola, totally different to any city you’ll have seen before – no roads and no cars! • Café society in Amsterdam • The Guggenheim Museum, Bilbao and the Museu Picasso, Barcelona, Spain • Count Dracula’s Castle, Bran, Transylvania, Romania • Icebreaker’s cruise, Kemi, Lapland, Finland • The Ice Hotel, Sweden • Amsterdam - Home of the famous Amsterdam canal system and the Ann Franck Museum

The Weather The climate in the UK is moderate – summers are warm and winters are cool and mild.

Contrary to international assumptions the weather is not always wet and cold in the UK! You can find out more detailed information on the weather in Cambridge today by visiting the BBC weather centre website –

Average Temperatures

and these provide excellent access to all parts of Cambridge. Many different types of tickets are available, including the City Megarider. This provides unlimited travel on all ‘Citi’ buses for seven days. For quick and easy access from the city centre to the railway station look out for the Citi 1 or Citi 3 bus.

Summer 21°C – 12°C

Travelling by coach

Autumn 14°C – 7°C

Timetables and further information is available from As a student you can also apply for a coach card that will give you up to 30% off your coach ticket.


8°C – 3°C


13°C – 5°C

Food / shopping

Travelling by train

With the UK being such a cosmopolitan society, it is very easy to find shops and restaurants catering for a wide spectrum of nationalities. Supermarkets stock a range of cuisines, including Chinese, Indian, Greek, Lebanese, West Indian, African, Italian, French and, of course, British. You should also be able to buy familiar products from your home country in specialist grocery stores located in Cambridge, as well as from the many markets based in and around the city.

If you are under the age of 26 and planning on using the train regularly it would be a good idea to apply for a young person’s railcard. The card will cost you around £20.00 and will give you 33% off the cost of your train ticket. You can get further information and apply online at Students who are over the age of 26 can also obtain this railcard but cannot apply online. They will need to get CRIC to certify on the application form that you are a full time student. A copy of the application form can be downloaded from the same website as stated above.

Tipping in the UK is not compulsory but is common practice if you receive good service. Note: it is against the law to drink alcohol or to be drunk in a public place. If you are under 18 years of age you are not permitted to purchase or consume alcohol. Drinking on public transport is expressly prohibited.

Public transport The public transport system in the UK consists of the over-rail, ferries, buses as well as the famous underground trains in London. The cost of public transport depends on the type of ticket you buy and the amount of time and distance that is to be travelled. Stagecoach offers a network of frequent and reliable buses,


Employment International students are allowed to work a maximum of twenty hours per week under the terms of their student visa during the semester. Students should not rely on part time jobs to fund living expenses or pay tuition fees. Any income earned from part time jobs should be seen only as a supplement to established sources of funding. ARU has a very active Employment Bureau which can assist you in finding part-time work, and help ensure that employers do not take advantage of you.

National Insurance Everyone who works in the UK must pay National Insurance (NI) contributions. If you have a part-time job offer or can provide evidence that you are actively seeking work you can apply for a NI number. Please contact Mr Andrew Richards, Manager of Support Services, for further information on how to apply for an NI number once you arrive at CRIC.

Council Tax Exemption Council tax is a charge levied by the local city council to people living in the area. These taxes cover services such as local emergency services and refuse removal. Under normal circumstances full-time students are exempt from the council tax. There are certain exceptions, however; for example, sharing a house with a nonstudent could render a student liable for council tax. For further information contact the Manager of Support Services.


Personal safety: roads, cycling and walking Although Cambridge is a relatively safe town you should still take all the necessary steps to ensure your own personal safety at all times. IMPORTANT: Please remember you are in a different country and the road rules are not always the same as in your own country.

Walking: Always use the pavement if it is available, if there isn’t a pavement then it is safest to walk on the right hand side of the road so that you can see any traffic coming towards you. In the UK, vehicles are driven on the left-hand side of the road and pedestrians are not automatically given right of way. When crossing the road always use a designated crossing and be extra careful, looking both ways before stepping out into the road. If you are walking when it is dark then make sure you wear something bright that will help drivers and cyclists to see you. Do not walk in isolated places or dark alleyways if you can avoid it, especially at night. Try to keep to well lit public places and walk with friends wherever possible. Cycling: Cambridge is a cycle-friendly city. Bicycles and equipment can be purchased or hired from one of the many cycle shops in Cambridge (many within five minutes walk of

CRIC). Make sure that your bicycle is in good working order. You must have working lights on your bicycle – a white one at the front and a red one at the back. It is an offence to cycle at night without lights. Lights can be purchased from any cycling shop at very little cost. Do not ride on the pavement – unless it is a designated cycle path. These are usually indicated by a blue sign with a bicycle on it. There may also be marking on the pavement showing a bicycle. Do not ride with traffic coming towards you – if you are riding on the road make sure that you follow the flow of the traffic cycling on the left hand side. Wear a cycle helmet – this will protect you if you have an accident. These can be purchased from most cycle shops. Make yourself as visible as possible when cycling by wearing reflective and fluorescent clothing. For further information on cycling please refer to

Accommodation CRIC offers on-campus accommodation in clean well maintained halls of residence. Off-campus accommodation is also available. Accommodation fees include all utilities bills, up to a reasonable threshold. CRIC has a range of options for accommodation with both on-campus and off-campus lodgings available. The oncampus Halls of Residence are situated within a quick walking distance of the CRIC building. We recommend that all new students base themselves here, as it gives them the opportunity to meet fellow classmates as well as being located close to all University facilities. Most rooms in Halls of Residence have en-suite bathroom facilities, internet points and access to laundry facilities in each hall.

Our off-campus Halls of Residence accommodation is based at Sedley Court which is approximately twenty minutes walk or five minutes cycle ride from the Anglia Ruskin University campus. All rooms off-campus have en-suite bathroom facilities, broadband internet access (at an additional cost), TV aerial socket and individual post boxes (located in the lobby). CRIC also has a number of privately owned houses based in close proximity to the Anglia Ruskin Campus. Please contact Mr Andrew Richards, Manager of Support Services, for further information regarding this accommodation. CRIC does not provide accommodation for married couples. However, we will assist students who have a need for private accommodation as best we can. CRIC students must reserve their accommodation prior to


departing for the UK. An accommodation form can be found at the back of this booklet, along with your visa support documentation and confirmation of admission, or obtained from our local representative. This must be filled in and sent back to CRIC together with the deposit, as soon as possible, to secure a place. Deposit - Students in CRIC accommodation have to pay £800.00 at the start of their accommodation contract. In order to secure a place in CRIC accommodation, this must be paid in advance. Upon receipt of the accommodation fee you will be allocated your chosen accommodation, subject to availability. Housing is allocated on a ‘first come first served’ basis so early booking and payment is advised to avoid disappointment. If you have any questions regarding CRIC accommodation please contact Mr Andrew Richards at


evidence that you are in the UK as a student (for example, your student visa). You should also provide evidence of your address and confirmation from your institution that you are enrolled on, or have recently completed, a course of study, and its length. If you have to give up your studies temporarily, and you are refused free health treatment, contact the Manager of Support Services for information about how you might be able to challenge this. What will the NHS provide for you at no cost? • Consulting a GP and most other GP services (e.g. visiting a clinic) • Treatment in a hospital (both emergency and non emergency treatment) You may need to pay for: • Medicines prescribed by your GP • Some GP services (e.g. vaccinations for travel, getting a sickness certificate)- ask your GP for details of costs • Dental treatment • Optical treatment

The National Health Service (NHS) in the UK

Medical Treatment

The NHS is the UK’s state health service and provides treatment for UK residents through a wide range of healthcare services. Certain services are free while others require payment.

All new students are required to register with a general practitioner (GP) on arrival at CRIC. The NHS provides medical treatment through three main routes:

Providing your course of study is for six months or longer you will qualify for NHS treatment from the beginning of your stay, on the same basis as anyone who is ordinarily resident in the UK. You are entitled to free treatment in NHS hospitals and you may register as a patient with a General Practitioner (GP) – see below. When you attend hospital or register with a GP, you should take a form of identification (passport) as well as


General Practitioner’s (GP’s) Surgery or Health Centre UK residents register with a health centre or GP’s surgery, which is usually the first point of contact for medical treatment. GPs are doctors who are trained and experienced in diagnosing a wide range of health issues. Most illnesses and other problems can be treated by the GP and if you do need to

see a specialist, the GP will refer you to an appropriate hospital department (see below). As well as consultations with a GP, most health centres and GPs’ surgeries provide a range of community health services (for example; vaccinations, women’s health clinics, services for parents of young children). There are several GPs’ surgeries based within walking distance from the Anglia Ruskin University main campus, all of which welcome students to register, but Anglia Ruskin University has its own on-campus NHS clinic with both walk-in and appointment-based services. CRIC students, providing that they are studying for more than six months, are able to register at the medical centre by completing a simple medical form which can be found in the Orientation arrival pack you will receive on arrival at CRIC. The GP surgery is located in the Mumford Building on campus and opens at 9.00am. For appointments or further details on this service, you can phone +44 (0) 1223 363271 (ext 2251).

Hospitals If your GP refers you to hospital for treatment, you will usually be given an appointment to see a specialist doctor. Depending on the medical problem, you may be treated as an in-patient (where you are admitted to a ward and stay there overnight or longer) or as an out-patient (where you visit the hospital for an appointment). If you think you need to see a specialist you should approach your GP first and ask her or him to refer you.

Accident and Emergency (A&E) Departments Some (but not all) hospitals have Accident and Emergency (A & E) departments. These

departments are open 24 hours a day and deal with patients needing emergency treatment. The closest A & E is located about two miles from the Anglia Ruskin University Campus (Addenbrooke’s Hosptial). You should use A & E departments only for emergency treatment for serious illness or injury. In England, Wales and parts of Scotland, you can contact NHS Direct by telephone if you are not sure whether you should go to hospital. NHS Direct is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and can offer an interpreting service. The telephone number for NHS Direct is 0845 46 47.

Do I need medical insurance? If you are not entitled to free NHS treatment, you should certainly ensure you have adequate medical insurance to cover medical costs should you fall ill, and the additional possible costs resulting from illness. These can be substantial, and include: • Lost fees if you are unable to complete your course • Costs of returning home if a relative is ill • Costs of a relative visiting you in the UK if you fall ill • Cost of returning to your home country for treatment Even if you are entitled to free NHS treatment whilst in the UK, you should consider taking out insurance which covers the above costs which could be incurred if you or your family are unfortunate enough to become ill or have an accident. Moreover, even if you are covered by the NHS for medical treatment, you may find that there are long waiting times for some services. An insurance policy which gives you access to private medical care could give you much quicker access to the treatment you


need. If you have medical insurance in your home country, check whether you can extend it to cover your stay in the UK, as well as looking at options available from UK insurers. Endsleigh Insurance, in association with UKCOSA, has produced a special health insurance policy for international students and their spouses and dependants in the UK. Details of the policy can be found on the Endsleigh website,

Dealing with emergencies Emergency services: dial 999 If you are in need of urgent medical assistance (for example, because of an accident) you will need to telephone 999. The call is free. An operator will ask you which emergency service you need (Fire, Police or Ambulance). Be ready to tell the emergency services what has happened and where you are. If someone is injured and needs to go to hospital, ambulance staff will arrive and take the person to an Accident and Emergency department. If you need urgent treatment, but you are well enough to travel, you can also make your own way to an Accident and Emergency department or ask a friend to take you. Most GPs also run an ‘oncall’ service, so that you can contact a doctor 24 hours a day. Your GP will give you details when you register.

Living in the UK as a minor (Students under 18 years of age) A proportion of CRIC students may be under the age of 18 when starting their time at the College. If you are under the age of 18 you are legally considered a minor in the UK and, as such, you will need to appoint a guardian for the duration of your time at CRIC. This may be your parent or legal guardian if they reside


in the UK, but if your parent or legal guardian does not reside in the UK one will need to be appointed. A list of accredited agencies that can assist you with this can be found on If you are under the age of 18 at the time of enrolment, you are required to inform the College of any/all disabilities or intermittent/ongoing medical conditions. These should be reported well in advance of your arrival to the Manager of Support Services, Mr. Andrew Richards on andrew.richards@ (Even those over the age of 18 are required to supply this information, but this is a strict legal requirement for those under 18.) Furthermore, as a minor, you will be subject to UK law in relation to matters such as purchasing alcohol, giving consent and holding office. For example, minors may not purchase or consume alcohol. These laws will be explained to you during Orientation. Any questions you have before then can be directed to Mr Andrew Richards.

British customs The major difference between living in the UK and your home country is in social customs and behaviour. Some of these customs may seem strange when you first arrive. To assist you, listed below are examples of what would normally be seen as acceptable in the UK: • Equality for all citizens - men, women and people from all levels of wealth, authority, ability and occupation are seen as equal in British society. • Punctuality - always be on time for appointments or let people know if you will be late. You should also expect other people to be on time for you! • Tidiness in the community – all rubbish should be disposed of in a bin, or carried

with you until you find a bin. Anybody dropping litter may be prosecuted and fined in the UK. • Waiting your turn in a queue – it is considered impolite to push ahead of someone who is in the queue before you. • Informality when addressing others – first names are used relatively early in a relationship. A general rule to follow, if you are meeting a person for the first time who is considerably older than you is to use a title such as Mr, Ms, Mrs, Dr or Professor until you are invited to use the person’s given name. It is acceptable to ask a person what they would like you to call them. • Knocking on someone’s door before opening it. Always wait for the person to answer before entering. • Saying ‘please’ and ‘thank you’ where appropriate is highly regarded. • It is common to see people using a handkerchief or tissue to blow their nose.

It is not acceptable to sniff or spit. If you need to clear your throat use a handkerchief or tissue. Personal hygiene and cleanliness are generally highly valued in the UK. • You can not normally get ahead by raising your voice. If you disagree strongly with anything that has been said or done, you should express your point of view strongly and calmly, but try not to shout as this is generally frowned upon. • It is not acceptable to interrupt while someone else is talking. However once they have finished their point, it is perfectly reasonable to say that you do not agree and to explain why – even if you are disagreeing with one of your professors. As long as you can back up your point of view intelligently, this will be seen as a positive contribution to the discussion. • All of the above come under what the British refer to as ‘manners’. Manners are held in high regard in the UK and their observance will serve you well.

19 19

Financial Matters Payment of tuition fees The tuition fees you will be required to pay and the programme of study you have been offered a place on are outlined in the letter of offer you have received. To guarantee your place on the programme of study you must pay fifty percent (half) of the tuition fees, either directly to CRIC or through our local representative. If you are applying to CRIC through a CRIC overseas representative they will advise you with regard to making payments to CRIC. If you are applying direct to the college you can arrange to pay your fees to CRIC by any of the following methods:

Bank transfer You can transfer your fees direct from your bank to CRIC’s bank account. This is a safe and secure way of transferring your money to the UK. In order to facilitate a smooth transfer of funds, you should: • tell the bank that you wish to pay in sterling (GB pounds) • tell the bank the exact amount you wish to pay • provide your bank with the College’s bank details, which are as follows: Bank name: Account number: Bank Sort Code: IBAN Number: SWIFT Code:

Citibank London 11972472 8 50 08 GB79CITI18500811972472 CITIGB2L (Citibank London)

Please make sure that the bank uses your CRIC Student ID as the reference for the transfer (this can be found on your letter of offer and will be in a format similar to ABCDC83)


You should ensure that the bank gives you a document confirming the transfer of funds to CRIC, and bring this with you when you travel to the UK. This document may also be useful in securing your student visa. You should show this document to the CRIC Manager of Support Services when you register for your programme.

Personal, company or banker’s cheque You can pay your tuition fees by International Banker’s Draft made out in sterling to CRIC Limited. You should send the cheque to the CRIC office: CRIC Ltd Coslett Building (Cos 415) Anglia Ruskin University East Road, Cambridge CB1 1PT UK

Currency Cash You should make sure you bring a small amount of cash with you for your day-to-day expenses until you have registered at CRIC and opened a bank account. We recommend £200 in small denominations (£5, £10 and £20 notes), as change can be a problem in some of the smaller independent stores.

We do not advise carrying a large amount of cash when you travel to the UK. Whatever amount of cash you bring with you, make sure: • You bring sterling (GB pounds). In the UK you will not be able to use dollars or any other currency to pay for things. If you do bring other currencies to the UK, you will need to change them into sterling when you arrive, and you will be charged for this. • You should ensure that you keep the cash on your person when travelling. Use a body belt or similar, and do not under any circumstances place money in your hold baggage. • If you have a large amount of cash you should contact the CRIC office. We will advise you on how to open a bank account. In the UK you will not normally be able to open a bank account until you have registered with the College as a student and arranged permanent accommodation. Please note that the college cannot take responsibility for cash lost by students. It is your responsibility to keep it safe. This is why we recommend that you do not bring large amounts of cash with you.

Travellers’ cheques Travellers’ cheques are a good alternative to carrying cash as they can be converted into cash as you need it. Unlike a personal cheque, you do not need to have a UK bank account in order to use them. If you lose them or they are stolen you can apply to have them replaced. You should normally try to get sterling-based travellers’ cheques as these are the easiest to cash; if you bring dollar-based travellers cheques most banks and exchange bureaux will impose a charge for converting dollars to sterling. Sterling travellers cheques can be

used to pay for purchases in larger shops in major towns and cities, but not all local shops will accept them. When travelling make sure you keep details of your traveller’s cheques and your passport separate from the cheques.

Credit card The College can accept payment for tuition fees and accommodation charges via most major credit cards. Make sure that your credit limit is sufficient to allow you to make this payment. Check with your bank or credit provider before you leave home. You should also make sure that you give someone at home authority to pay money into your credit card account whilst you are in the UK. If you wish to make a payment to the College by credit card before you leave home, you should contact the Support Services Manager at CRIC on: +44 1223 695702 or Please not that CRIC are unable to take credit card payments over the telephone.

Debit or switch card If you have a debit card (Maestro, Visa or Cirrus) you can use it to pay your tuition fees and accommodation charges. Make sure you have sufficient money in your account to allow you to make this payment. You should also make sure that you give someone at home authority to pay money into your bank account whilst you are in the UK. If you wish to make a payment to the college by debit card you should contact the Manager of Support Services at CRIC on telephone: +44 1223 695702 or

Cost of living The cost of living varies from one part of the UK to another. Generally it is more expensive to live in London and cheaper elsewhere.


The estimated cost of supporting yourself financially in Cambridge is outlined below.

Typical basic living costs As a student at CRIC you should estimate your average living costs, apart from tuition fees, to be in the region of ÂŁ800.00 per month. This covers accommodation, food, travel, books and entertainment costs. As a guide, a couple living together adds 50 percent to the cost of a person living on their own. For each child living with you add 25 percent of the cost of a person living on their own. These costs are estimates, and actual costs will depend on your personal tastes and preferences. It is unlikely that you will be able to secure sponsorship for your studies once you have arrived in the UK, so you must make sure that you have made suitable financial arrangements before you leave home.

22 22

If your family is giving you the money for your studies you must discuss with them the implications of their commitment to pay for you to live and study in the UK. You must think about the things that may affect their income and cause difficulties in the future. You and your family must ensure that all are fully aware of the consequences of being unable to continue funding your studies. You should think about what alternatives you would have if an economic downturn or currency fluctuations affect your country and your family, and plan your strategy accordingly. If you find you have financial difficulties once you have started your studies you may be advised to halt your studies if it is established that you do not have sufficient financial resources. If you are no longer able to attend the college to study because of financial problems you will be advised to leave the UK until your finances can be sorted out. Under the terms of UK Immigration legislation you are not permitted to remain in the UK if you are not studying. Problems with financial arrangements are one of the most common reasons for international students failing to complete their degree programme. It is vital to get your financial situation organised before you come to the UK.

Getting Started at CRIC Orientation and enrolment

CRIC office hours

The CRIC Orientation Programme is always held on the Wednesday before semester commences. (The date and time of your Orientation is on your letter of offer.) Attendance is compulsory. The Orientation covers matters relating to your study at CRIC such as enrolment, facilities, procedures and support services.

CRIC is open Monday – Friday, from 8.30am – 5.00pm. The office is closed on Saturday and Sunday.

Please bring your passport and letter of offer with you to Orientation and enrolment. At Orientation you will be issued with an Orientation Pack containing the CRIC Student Handbook, course and unit information, booklists and other important information. Enrolment will take place following the Orientation session. At CRIC enrolment and unit selection is completed through the myCRIC student portal via the website. You will be required to complete your personal details, such as address, visa details, etc. before going on to select the units you will study in that semester.

The emergency mobile, to contact staff outside of office hours, in an emergency, is: 07976 266432

Services and facilities At CRIC we offer a range of services and facilities to meet your personal as well as academic needs. As a CRIC student, you have access to facilities and services provided by CRIC and Anglia Ruskin University. Services include: English and study support, student counselling and accommodation services. Facilities include: library, bookshop, cafeteria, recreation, sports and computer facilities. Information about services and facilities is provided at Orientation.

In Conclusion We look forward to welcoming you. We will do our best to make your time at CRIC as enjoyable and productive as possible, and we would like your preparations for joining us to be exciting and trouble-free. If you have any questions leading up to your departure, please do not hesitate to contact the Manager of Support Services, Mr. Andrew Richards, on


Cambridge Ruskin International College Coslett Building (Cos 415) Anglia Ruskin University East Road Cambridge CB1 1PT United Kingdom Telephone +44 (0) 1223 695700 Fax +44 (0) 1223 698763 Email The information contained in this brochure is correct at the time of publication, however, Cambridge Ruskin International College (CRIC) reserves the right to alter, amend or delete details at any time without notice. Printed September 2008. Selected photographs in this publication are Copyright Š Paul Foley/Lightmoods 2008 This brochure is provided free of charge.

Part of the Navitas Group

CRIC Pre-Departure Guide  
CRIC Pre-Departure Guide  

CRIC pre-departure guide for international students.