8 / COMMUNITY
O O K I N G
T H E
N A PA N E E
Thursday, April 18, 2013
B E AV E R
A C K
A trip through the pages of The Napanee Beaver 65 Years Ago April 21, 1948 n Residents in Lennox and Addington and those around Ontario were preparing for a highly charged provincial election. Progressive Conservative Premier George Drew called a general election, with the vote to be held on June 7. In calling the election, Drew was going to the polls early — barely three years since the previous election. He explained the early election call by saying the province was preparing to proceed with some massive investments in Ontario’s electrical infrastructure and the government needed a new mandate to proceed. n With the Odessa Continuation School set to close and without a new high school board in place, the Napanee Collegiate Institute was preparing to accept some 35 Odessa-area high school students on a temporary basis. The matter of how the students would be transported to Napanee was yet to be determined. The Odessa students would be attending school in Napanee for the start of the upcoming school year; the arrangement was anticipated to last four months.
35 Years Ago April 19, 1978 n Some Napanee town councillors were concerned that the difference between having a ‘clerk’ and a ‘clerk administrator’ might be more than just a matter of changing letterhead. Although council ultimately approved the change, some council members opposed the move, suggesting that the title change will come with an increase in pay down the road. “We’ve created a position which, in time, could prove a highly paid one. Our population is not increasing and we’re trying to keep the mill rate down. I can’t see a real need (for a clerk administrator),” said councillor William Lofgren. n A local seniors steering committee was in the process of approaching local service groups to help fund a taxi fare relief program for the elderly. The group was hoping to generate $2,000 by approaching the Royal Canadian Legion, the Lions Club and the Rotary Club. The money would be used to offset the cost of cab fares for seniors. Under the program, any trip would cost a senior 75 cents.
CALL BRIAN RABY, C.A., Trustee in Bankruptcy To Discuss Your Options
‘Grandaddy’ course turns 116 W. C. Herrington, in describing recreation in Napanee (The History of Lennox & Addington County, 1913, reprinted Mika,1972), may not have been a golfer, for he emphasized cricket, softball and curling to the exclusion of golf, which has been a sport here since 1897. The Lennox & Addington County Historical Society (Historical Glimpses of Lennox & Addington, 1964) also gave golf scant mention under sports either. However, anyone who has lived here long knows that golf has a rich history — and a expanding future. The original nine-hole club sits on another of Napanee’s high points in the valley setting. The L&A County Museum files describe the course as, “The Grandaddy, the second oldest nine-hole course in Canada boasts beautifully manicured, fully-irrigated fairways made challenging by mature trees, rolling hills and intriguing water hazards. The challenges presented by the course are the undulating fairways and greens with subtle and not-so-subtle slopes.” Art Hunter of Napanee, the unofficial club historian, in a letter to the editor of the Kingston Whig Standard (Jan. 17, 2011) described the club’s history starting with, once again, the Cartwright family. “Sir Richard Cartwright’s grandson, also Sir Richard Cartwright, a resident of Napanee, was a federal cabinet minister in the government of Sir Wilfrid Laurier and, in the absence of Laurier, he served as acting prime minister. He had vast holdings of land on the south side of the Napanee River and in 1897 allowed some of his land to be used for the formation of the
first golf club in Napanee.” the country club, which Hunter continues, “In faces the road, houses the 1926 that land, 90 acres, rustic clubhouse lounge was purchased from Sir with a seating capacity of Richard’s heirs by a local 199 members and guests. pharmacist, Thomas Beat- The interior, clad in knotty tie Wallace, for $5,500 and pine and a ceiling that immediately re-sold, at the soars to a peaked roof, is same price, to 16 members set off by small paned of the golf club, who sub- dormer windows on three scribed a total of $12,500 sides; four sides before the later addito buy the tions. The land and to original build and fieldstone furnish a fireplace is new clubattached to house. One the south of those ownwall beside ers was Jack the main Adams, a entrance. A member of balcony runs the club the length of from 1925 to the south 1936 and side. The g e n e r a l lounge overmanager of looks the the NHL’s first hole Detroit Red and the Wings from course that 1927 to winds its 1962.” way down T h e the hill acreage was towards the perfect Legacy town. Unforsetting for a tunately, the club, reminding one of the rolling fair- historic clapboard clubways of Scotland where house and additions housgolf was invented. The orig- ing the pro shop and inal clubhouse, built in kitchen have been covered 1926, was smaller in size. in vinyl siding. The golf course, at the Hunter says, “In 1957 the golf club was restructured. corner of County Road 8 The remaining owners and Golf Course Lane says were bought out and the on its own website that the club was converted to course has nine holes, with member ownership.The different tees for the front Napanee Golf and Country and back nine. The forward Club still occupies the tees play 5,388 yards and same land and the 1926 the regular tees 5,877 each clubhouse, with some addi- for 18 holes. The 18-hole par is 70. tions.” Files indicate that The clubhouse is frame in the truly Ontario lodge there was no designer of style. Meant to be a sum- record, but the course mer club house only, it still developed over time and closes for the season in late was renovated by the memOctober. For as long as any- bership when they deemed one can remember, tobog- it necessary. Recently the gans have flown down pro shop has been remodthese same slopes in win- eled under the supervision ter too. The oldest part of of longtime manager, Milt
Flexible Appointments Free Consultation - Personal Service
303 BAGOT ST., SUITE 1, KINGSTON
The Napanee Golf and Country Club clubhouse on Centre Street South.
Things to do...
Rose. The well-groomed course has a putting green but no driving range, although First Tee Golf Centre is just down the road past the new Southview Public School. The club remains open to everyone and visitors are welcomed to play when time and space allow. In 2013, a competition was held to create a new look for the old Grandaddy. The oval design sports an historic golfer with the saying below, ‘Always Time For Nine’. The elder course has seen many a famous player including professional golfer, Sam Snead, who set a course record in 1953 of sixty-three. A copy of his champion scorecard remains in the members’ lounge. Local golfers of all ages have played here, including life-long members Cliff Crawford, Al Sinclair and the late Bruce Medd who died at age 101 years and had a membership since 1932. And women have played a major role in and off the greens, including, Barb Cowle, Pat Culhane and more recently, Linda Alkenbrack, among many others whose significant trophies of past club and individual wins sit proudly on shelves. The reinvigorated club served 225 members last year, according to President, Duncan Burke. Napanee’s supercentenarian lives on into its 116th season that officially opened last Friday. Some keeners have already beaten the rush. Charles Beale is a former educator, historian, freelance writer and author of Manly E. MacDonald - Interpreter of Old Ontario. Contacts: firstname.lastname@example.org/charl email@example.com/613 -354-8029.
AUTHORIZED DEALER STORE
YOUR HOMETOWN DEALER
We will be happy to place your orders for you.
MAJOR APPLIANCES, HOME ELECTRONICS, AND LAWN & GARDEN
4 Dundas Street West, Napanee, ON