BA (Hons.) GRAPHIC DESIGN Module Code
END OF MODULE SELF-EVALUATION NAME
1. What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them? I have developed a greater understanding of how to critically evaluate my own work. This has been done through crits and the examination of feeback. A greater confidence and ability in public speaking is another development from this module. Presenting in a group and as an individual is now a far less daunting task. Furthermore, I have gained a firmer knowledge of how to create a consistent, informed brand through the self branding inititiaves.
2. What approaches to/methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process? I have planned my design more during this module than others. This has allowed me to allocate time better to specific tasks, thus avoiding getting locked into a reductive design process. Furthermore, I have increased my use of realistic mock-ups and trials in the design process, to ensure that the finished product is as good as can be. Furthermore, due to the planning of specific tasks, it has been easier to maintain consistency across a range of outcomes, as by spending time working out the initial base for a brand, it was possible to continue it across the variety of products created.
3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these? My strengths this module have largely been the increased planning involved. This has had a myriad of benefits, least of which are an improved final outcome. I plan to continue this in the future, creating a hierarchy of tasks to be completed before setting out to perform them.
A further strength has been the consistency across my range of branding. By ensuring a strong logo and visual identity, I have been able to enforce my brand and communicate my values more clearly. Use of the Avenir Next type family has been instrumental to this, as the range of weights has allowed for a variety of tones and stresses to be used. A final strength has been my ability to present. I do not find myself getting particularly nervous doing public speaking, and I feel this has aided me in communicating my ideas through presentations.
4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future? While photography was used in the work, it has not been consistent or of a high enough quality for me to be fully satisfied with it. A further weakness has been the scheduling of work. While the management of tasks in relation to one another has been well managed, in terms of overall time management I have not been as organised as possible. This is particularly evident with the last minute photography and rushed nature of some of the content. The limited range of personal branding can also be seen in this. A final weakness has been a lack of web design knowledge. Despite having proposed a decent website, I feel I should have attempted to code it and potentially go live with it.
5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these? 1. Start earlier – by starting work earlier it will not be so rushed closer to the deadline. 2. Use more techniques – as opposed to just using digital workflows and printing methods, more engaging outcomes could be found by experimenting with different processes. 3. Take better photos – plane the photography of work so that it is relaxed and very high quality. 4. Examine other brands – seeing how the experts do it will allow me to create a more consistent and powerful brand. 5. Post regularly – my blog was largely inactive for the beginning of the module, posting as soon as I complete actions will prevent material and proof of work from being lost, which unfortunately has happened over this module.
6.How would you grade yourself on the following areas: (please indicate using an â€˜xâ€™) 5= excellent, 4 = very good, 3 = good, 2 = average, 1 = poor 1 2 3 4 5 x Attendance x Punctuality x Motivation x Commitment x Quantity of work produced x Quality of work produced x Contribution to the group The evaluation of your work is an important part of the assessment criteria and represents a percentage of the overall grade. It is essential that you give yourself enough time to complete your written evaluation fully and with appropriate depth and level of self-reflection. If you have any questions relating to the self evaluation process speak to a member of staff as soon as possible.