Compiled by, Car & General CO
Buying a car is a big step for anyone out there. It is therefore necessary to ensure that the car you buy is the best one you can get using the money you have. There are important factors to consider if you want to buy a car in Kenya. These factors depend on whether the car is used or brand new.
What to consider before you buy a used car
1. The car body-check the body of the car if the car has been repaired it will produce a sound like it is padded. While there is nothing wrong with a repaired car it is important that you don’t buy a car that has undergone an extreme makeover in terms of repairs. This is because it will only mean that there is more than meets the eye. 2. The engine-watch out for any serious damage on the engine. You can do this by asking a qualified mechanic to look at the car’s engine or preferably take the mechanic with you to the car dealer. The mechanic will be able to tell you the state of the engine and whether you will need to invest a lot of money to repair it.
3. Check for leaks-look for any signs of oil or coolant leaks under the car. Lift the hood of the car and check for signs of leaking. Check the fluids in the radiator and the oil. If either is low it could be due to leakage. 4. Car interior-there are cars you get into and you wonder whether a cat died in there. Check the interior of the car you want to buy. If it has stains and an odour you can’t live with, look for another car.
5. Test drive the car-this is one of the most important things to do when buying a used car. Get the feel of the car ensure that the engine warms up so that you can hear whether the engine knocks. Listen carefully to strange noises which can be expensive to repair.
6. The price-once you have given a car a “thumbs up”, it’s time to negotiate the price with the seller. It is important to consider the amount of money you have so ensure you negotiate with that in mind.
What to consider before you buy a new car in Kenya
1. Determine your budget-the first thing you need to consider when buying a car is how much you are willing to spend on it. Do not forget to factor in the cost of insurance. 2. Find out the dealers price-you can use the internet to do this by visiting different car dealers’ sites or you can ask the salesperson directly. This will help you to know how much you need to top up and whether it is within your budget. 3. Get the money in advance-if you plan to buy the car using a loan then ensure you get the loan first before going for the test drive. Compare car loans of different bank and choose the one that best suits you. 4. Do research-this is why we have internet get into those sites and find out all you need to know about cars and car dealers. 5. Take more than one test drive-once you spot a car you like take it for a test drive to find out how a new car looks feels and drives. Take the first test drive alone and the second with other people. 6. Inspect your new car-before you buy the car give it a detailed inspection both inside and out. The next time you decide to buy a car in Kenya ensure you have the following factors in mind.