mum’s m@il Life s Life’s Little Toolbox Since 2003
Pietermaritzburg & Midla nds (April 2012) 30 000 Free Magazines www.mumsmail.com
Where Will I Find...? 3 4-6 7 8 - 12 13 14 15
Editor’s Life Healthy/Beautiful Life Tiny Life Young/Party Life Educated Life Easter Life Busy Life
CARPET & UPHOLSTERY CLEANING
mum’s mail team
Wishing my customers a blessed Easter! Owner supervised
Editor: Alice Leah
Phone: 031 - 573 1731 (ext 5) • Fax: 031 - 573 2204 Subeditor: Brenda Daniels, 073 269 6118 Accounts: 031 - 573 1731 (ext 5 or 6) Enquiries: 031 - 573 1731 (ext 1) Advertising Sales:
Pam 083 448 3520
South Africans Against Drunk Driving www.decadeofaction.org www.sadd.org.za
Tercia Schick, 082 781 8611, firstname.lastname@example.org Bev Delew, 071 276 0926, email@example.com
Tasha Jardim, 083 381 8483, firstname.lastname@example.org
“Happy people are the ﬁzz in the soda of life...” Anonymous
Shaun Dalziel and Christine Bernard
Cover Photo: Models: Victoria McKenzie Photographer: Natasha Brooks Photography
Make sure you capture happy moments on film so they last forever! • Family photo sessions • Maternity • Newborn • Kiddies
082 630 2367 • www.natashabrooks.com
DISCLAIMER: Neither the Publisher, Printer or Editor can be held responsible for damages or consequences of any omissions or errors, as every care is taken to ensure the accuracy of the information in Mum’s Mail. We do not guarantee the performance or quality of service of any of the advertisers in this magazine. No part of Mum’s Mail magazine may be reproduced without the written consent of the Editor.
033 - 330 6036 • 083 943 8430 www.fransimmons.co.za
Herbalife Work with a coach to achieve your goal! Hazel 082 323 1191
HEALTHY WEIGHT LOSS
• Weddings • 21st • Gift Packs • Corporate Gifts and more! BUSINESS FOR SALE
083 381 8483 • tj@tashas-fudge. co.za www.tashas-fudge.co.za
Pet Sitting business for sale in PMB
Photography is my Passion
Easter Special Family portraits R500 Includes: Photoshoot, all photos on a CD and one A4 enlargement (valid until end of April)
Jess 072 229 9406 jess@petsitters online.co.za www.petsitters online.co.za
• Specialising in Portraits: Children & Families • Weddings
ERIKA WHITBY 082 749 0245 email@example.com www.erikawhitbyphotography.co.za
Editor’s Life There’s clever advertising (think Nando’s loo roll in the freezer), there’s blatantly, blasphemously wrong advertising (think Red Bull Jesus walking on water), and then there’s downright irritating adverting (think FNB Hi Steve...). I Googled “irritating FNB advert” and found 542 000 results! The greatest issue I have with these adverts, is the disrespect the little brat shows Steve when she says “What do you want?” Now in my house, if my kids DARED to speak to ANYONE on the phone like that (let alone a stranger), they would need that Nando’s frozen loo paper for their bums! What message is FNB sending? That it’s okay to be rude to people if you don’t like them? I really think they’ve missed the mark here and suggest their advertising agency take a long walk off a short plank.
Maths and English programmes for children of all ages and abilities Through the long-term, strategic development of work skills and academic ability, a solid foundation in MATHS and ENGLISH leads to the ability to tackle advanced work independently and with confidence. Get the basics right and the love and ability will follow. Gina Clowes 082 564 9537
Sharon Hultzer Pr 8411123
Here are some of the comments I found when trawling Google: • “Is anyone else getting freaking annoyed with these stupid FNB ads every 5 minutes?? I change stations and it follows me! Make it stop!” • “FNB I will never ever even consider banking with you, even if you are the last bank on earth, or if my bank charges me three times more. I will not bank with FNB because of your stupid irritating adverts and the way you exaggerate.” • “I actually now despise FNB, thanks to this abuse of advert repeats. These repeats are a nuisance to the airwaves, it’s like a plague.” • “There is a MAJOR difference between getting the message across and irritating the HELL out of radio listeners! It was funny the ﬁrst time, even the second and third time, BUT THE FREQUENCY HAS BECOME MURDER TO MY EARS!!!”
GRADES 1 - 12
033 - 342 8384
firstname.lastname@example.org 328 Burger Street, Pietermaritzburg
Does your child need help with English, Afrikaans, Maths, High School Science or Accountancy?
We can help!
Our personalised tuition in maths, reading, phonics, spelling, comprehension & language has paid off for hundreds of school children. Our proven methodology will boost your child’s school results and self-conﬁdence.
It seems that it’s no longer true that any publicity (whether good or bad) is a good thing...
Call us for more details on
033 - 386 8217
215A King Edward Ave, Scottsville, Pietermaritzburg
To advertise: 031 - 573 1731
Healthy/Beautiful Life Bliss at Brookdale For a morning I got to step off the world’s frenetic roundabout and step into the calm, serene and tranquil environment of Brookdale. Brookdale is celebrating 20 years in business this year and is still going strong with 80% of its patrons returning for treatment every year. There are two parts to Brookdale - the Hydro (which offers three, six and 12day packages) and the Day Spa. Men and women are catered for. A wide range of treatments and packages is available to suit every need and client. Cara was my therapist and we started with a Clarins Full Body Exfoliation – I am still glowing. A Swedish message followed the exfoliation. Oh I was in Heaven, and I caught myself drifting off to sleep a couple of times, and have never felt so relaxed. My toes were then primped and preened into ten beautiful numbers. The cherry on the top was the in-house make-up artist who transformed my face.
Domestic Childminder & CPR Course Course includes: • Basic Childcare • First Aid, CPR and Choking • HIV and AIDS Awareness • Stimulation and Play • New Courses: • Basic Housekeeping • Home Based Care for the Elderly
CPR courses for Schools, Moms, Dads, Grannies and Babysitters. Booking Essential! Contact Gail Starr (033) 386 4451 • 083 445 1441 or email@example.com www.vitallifetraining.co.za
At lunch time I decided on a delicious smoked chicken salad with homemade iced tea (no, NOT just one lettuce leaf!). It was served in the garden which is beautifully tended and I sat for a while enjoying the peace, reluctant to rejoin the world outside.
Cool Winds Beauty & Wellness Centre
Looking at the reasonable packages, I have made it my goal to be able to reward myself with a stay at the Hydro, which is situated near a gentle gurgling stream. Walks for gentle exercise are part of this programme, as are talks from professionals, and aqua exercise sessions in the indoor pool. A jacuzzi, steam room, sauna, small gym and beautiful pool deck form part of the facilities.
Choose any TWO of the following for only R250 Pedicure, Manicure, Indian Head Massage, Back, Neck and Shoulder Massage or Back Exfoliation
Relax Body, Mind & Soul 033 - 343 4659 or 033 - 343 5410 2 Hilton Avenue, Hilton firstname.lastname@example.org
Hand Made Here For You! • Pearls • Semi-Precious Gems • Swarovski & Czech Crystals & Glass Beads • 925 Silver • Copper, Bronze & Rhodium Plated Silver
Review by Tasha Jardim for Mum’s Mail. Contact: Brookdale Health Hydro, 033 – 266 6208/507, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bead Buzz for Children’s Parties and Team Building Workshops for Ladies. Other than your choice of venue, The Quarry Shopping Centre (in a gazebo on the lawns) will host the Bead Buzz parties once a month! Shop 11, Quarry Centre, Hilton Avenue, Hilton 033 - 343 4414 • 074 102 8877 email@example.com • www.jewellerybydiana.com
Healthy/Beautiful Life Soul
Feel the Difference See the Difference
4 Week outdoor training programme
• Weight loss • Fitness • Strength • Cardio • Endurance Improvements Includes 2 full body assessments during the programme 1 hour sessions Venues: Howick, Hilton, Nottingham Road & PMB 084 251 4572 www.adventurefitness.co.za
Natural Aromatherapy Product Range treating ailments such as: • Dry dehydrated skin • Migraines • Eczemas • Muscle ache • Arthritis • Cellulite • Insomnia and more TIRED? STRESSED? ILL? Children’s Product Range: • DETOX • LOSE WEIGHT • Sensitive skincare • Mosquito repellant • STRENGTHEN IMMUNE • Nappy rash SYSTEM Customised products made to order. Bulk orders will be discounted.
• Image analysis • Fashion styling • Wardrobe consulting • Makeover consulting • Makeup analysis • Makeup application • Communication • Etiquette
Prices range from R60 to R200.
Kaamani 073 222 8473 firstname.lastname@example.org
078 280 7870 email@example.com
NO COMPRESSION! NO HARMFUL RADIATION!
Thermal imaging finds abnormalities long before they can be detected by a Mammogram.
Recommended for ALL women from 20 years old & upward.
African Print (Kitenge) Exclusive Wear: • Ladies’ kaftans with head wrap • Smart tops • Formal skirts • Chic dresses • Men’s shirts
Marcelle 082 375 3805 or Kim 082 414 8575 firstname.lastname@example.org http://thermoscan.wozaonline.co.za
033 - 386 9430 082 624 7590
Don’t Wait – Scan Now!
Why CRANIO-SACRAL THERAPY? Reports of more energy, better sleep, concentration, relaxation, less headache, neck and shoulder pain. A feeling of general wellbeing. Troubled children find ways to express fears.
Felicity Fernandes (RCST) Hilton 083 225 1733
INSTANTLY remove those bulges! NO repeat treatments in the same area required!
The # 1 alternative to traditional liposuction that’s safe and less painful. • instant fat removal • melt excess fat and suction it out • minimally invasive, using gentle ultra-sound technology • instant, smooth & predictable results in most areas of the body • improved skin retraction • fast patient recovery • performed in-clinic with no stay-over • procedure performed by a Vaser certiﬁed doctor. Give us a call for a private and conﬁdential consultation, complete privacy guaranteed. Visit our website www.contouraesthetics.co.za, for more information.
Do you want to SEE the fat being removed?
083 786 9336 Weekdays 8am - 4pm Saturdays 9am - 12pm Unit 102, The Cube, 37 Zenith Drive, New Town Umhlanga email@example.com
To advertise: 031 - 573 1731
Located at Jet Therapy,
151 Victoria Road, Pietermaritzburg
033 - 394 8741 SPECIAL FOR APRIL ONLY
HALF FACE AND UNDERARM R650 FULL BIKINI (HOLLYWOOD/BRAZILLIAN) AND UNDERARM R750 BIKINI EXTENSIVE AND UNDERARM R700
Braid Street Family Clinic Dr Aslaam Mahomed & Dr Sheldon Chetty
This child friendly environment offers medical services for the whole family!
Your donation will help us get sick children healed and home where they belong. Contact the Children’s Hospital Trust at firstname.lastname@example.org to participate and order Plaster Day stickers for your school. For more information visit www.childrenshospitaltrust.org.za. Call 021 - 686 7860 or follow us on
Come in and see us! Mon - Fri: 9am - 6pm • Sat: 9am - 2pm
033 - 342 4684
45 Braid Street, Pietermaritzburg email@example.com
The Children’s Hospital Trust, fundraising for the Red Cross War Memorial Children’s Hospital and Paediatric Healthcare in the Western Cape
Tiny Life Is Baby Getting Enough? Mothers are often concerned that they are not producing enough milk for their babies. Here are some pointers on how to tell if baby is getting enough: • A wellfed baby is generally content after feeds, except if they’re sensitive to something you’re eating. Babies go through growth spurts around seven to ten days, two to three weeks, ﬁve to six weeks, three months and six months, and may then want to “feed all the time”. Make sure you are eating and drinking enough and your supply will adapt to meet baby’s needs. • Nappies: Breastfed babies can have a dirty nappy with every feed, or in the ﬁrst six weeks should have at least three to ﬁve stools a day. Look at the colour of baby’s stools. A mustard-coloured, yellowish, “seedy” stool means that baby is getting enough of the rich hind milk. If it’s green once in a while, don’t be too concerned. If it’s green all the time, it may mean that baby is getting too much of the watery fore-milk, or is not getting enough. Baby should also have at least four really wet/heavy nappies in 24 hours. • Weight: It is normal for babies to lose up to 10% of their birth weight in the ﬁrst 10 days, but baby should have gained back birth weight by three weeks latest. Thereafter it’s normal for babies to gain 250 to 400g weekly, but 125g is the minimum. If your baby seems slow to gain at ﬁrst, do not lose heart. Plenty can be done to remedy the situation! Don’t be tempted to top up with formula too soon, but do get qualiﬁed help.
STEM CELL STORAGE AT BIRTH Your baby’s umbilical cord is filled with precious stem cells that can be harvested at birth. There are currently over 70 diseases that can be treated by the use of stem cell technology. INDUSTRY LEADERS
6 International Labs 200 000 Stored Samples 20 International Doctors
CHOOSE FROM LOCAL, INTERNATIONAL OR DUAL STORAGE For more information contact: +27 (0) 860 783 6235 (within South Africa) +27 (0) 87 8080 170 (within Namibia & Botswana) firstname.lastname@example.org • www.cryo-save.co.za All our services are available to parents in South Africa, Botswana & Namibia
Source: Yulanda Ridge, Certiﬁed Lactation Consultant, 033 – 396 1733, 082 725 5043. • Stimulates all the senses and promotes learning • Develops perceptual motor skills • Unique range of climbing and clambering equipment 2 Months • Original Clamber to Club action songs and 3 Years exciting props • Gives parents great stimulation ideas Mother and Baby and Toddler for home Weekly Stimulation Classes Babies: Hillcrest: 084 577 7630 Toddlers: Ballito: 076 222 2946 • Durban North: 083 785 4332 • Kloof: 083 259 2746 • Pietermaritzburg: 083 445 1441 headofﬁce@clamberclub.com • www.clamberclub.com
For franchise queries contact email@example.com • 082 876 7791 • www.toptots.co.za
To advertise: 031 - 573 1731
Young/Party Life Hoppers & Bugs Party Planners Hoppers & Bugs Party Planners is a Pietermaritzburg-based husband-and-wife team party business that offers everything a child’s party requires. This includes: party theme decorations, party packs, hiring of equipment (jumping castles, popcorn machines, candyﬂoss machines), helium balloons, draped and themed gazebos, cakes, cupcakes, photographers and more. They cater for all children’s parties whether big or small, business events, fêtes, Christmas parties – just about any occasion in which children are involved. Hoppers & Bugs will deliver, set up and collect all equipment or will hire out the equipment for customers to collect and set up themselves. The party business offers over 70 themes to choose from including Smurfs, Ben 10, Barbie, Tinkerbell, Spiderman and How to Train Your Dragon. In the near future Hoppers & Bugs will also be offering themed party décor for sale. Hoppers & Bugs started in 2005 with just two jumping castles and has grown into the very busy concern it is today. The business averages ﬁve to seven parties a weekend, totalling between 120 and 150 children. So while parents give a sigh of relief that someone else is attending to all the details, Anthea and Wayne work like busy bees in the background, making each occasion a very special and memorable one. April special: book a themed party from Hoppers & Bugs within the month of April on the Olive or Value packages and get your themed plates, cups and napkins FREE (selected themes up to 10 children). Terms & conditions apply. Visit www.hoppersandbugs.co.za. Contact: Anthea or Wayne, 033 – 344 1473, 082 302 5835, firstname.lastname@example.org.
THE ONE STOP PARTY Jumping Castles & Children’s Party Planner
Specialising in Kidz Themed Parteez! We provide: Themed Party Table & Chairs, Tableware & Décor, Jumping Castles, Chocolate Fountains, Popcorn & Candy Floss Machines, Cakes, Sand Art, Face Painting & So Much More...
Anthea on 082 302 5835 email@example.com • www.hoppersandbugs.co.za www.mumsmail.com
To advertise: 031 - 573 1731
Young/Party Life Children’s Party Venue
Pietermaritzburg Incorporating ‘Lincoln Cottages’ B&B/Self-catering • Tranquil spacious garden setting available for children’s special occasions • Jungle gym • Pool • Braai area • Sun deck & plenty of space for a jumping castle & play area. We cater! 033 - 396 4576 • 072 218 6346 firstname.lastname@example.org
033 - 344 3903
Holiday Workshops and Aftercare Book your child’s space now!
• Plain & themed various shaped tables • Chair covers • Personalised banners • Custom made piñatas and centre-pieces on request NEW - 8 YEARS AND OLDER FUN PARTY FURNITURE
Visit our showroom
Gorgeous Workshop Parties for Mums & Kids
For all ages & abilities • Heated pools • Showers/change rooms • Enclosed parking • Gym equipment • Tuck shop • Safe, park-like surroundings
KIDS’ OUTDOOR PLAYHOUSES & BRAND NEW KIDS’ BEDROOM FURNITURE RANGE
Lara 084 587 0880 www.justboutique.net
ODETTE 082 466 8577
• Cooking • Craft • Yoga • Playgroup
Mia 033 - 343 4699 072 481 6693 email@example.com
Pietermaritzburg Gymnastics Academy Gymnastics improves posture, co-ordination, stamina, flexibility and discipline of mind & body.
• Boys & Girls • Age 3 & up • Fun filled programmes • Birthday parties welcome Contact Sherri on 083 547 5981
• Hire for parties: R200 for venue & R10 per child & R12 per adult • Normal entry fee: R15 per child (age 3 - 13) & R20 per adult • School groups: R8 per learner & R10 per teacher
For more information call toll free:
0800 12 10 82
031 - 337 7892
SIMPLE ELEGANCE Themed Décor for Girls & Boys, Jumping Castles & More. Nozie 082 624 7590
Horse & Pony Gifts & Apparel for Adults & Children
An exciting range of horsey products designed for horse crazy kids! The range includes T-shirts, riding shirts, caps, mousepads, pencil bags, homework bags & a variety of bags. Unique products can be made to order, eg. bedding.
Pony Magic stock now available at: • Allison’s Saddlery • The Haybarn• Equestrian World • Midlands Tack & Feed • Nuts About Toys & Books • Banbury Saddlery (Benoni)
Start your kids on a fun musical adventure today! Come and experience the real joy of MUSIC...
Corporate Branding Also Available Contact us for a variety of Pony Birthday Party options Nikki Austen 071 492 4565 • Tracy Tamsen 082 891 4808 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
• Learn all about instruments • Playing of all percussion instruments • Learning rhythm patterns & tonal patterns • Reading music and understanding music language • Graphic notation • Body movement and awareness “Discover the music in your child”
Jane Terblanche, Hilton • Cell: 082 788 8231 Website: www.musikgarten.co.za
To advertise: 031 - 573 1731
Young/Party Life Surfing that Wave to Freedom
Kiddies’ Party and Décor Hire
Does your child have bundles of energy? Does he need to let go of the frustrations of his everyday life? Here’s a way to put all that energy to good use: come to Summer Camp where there are loads of outdoor activities to choose from. One of those is surﬁng. Surﬁng is a sport where children can have fun and be in the cool crowd without being into destructive things. The positive and constructive use of energy and the beneﬁts of surﬁng will build children’s self-conﬁdence and knowledge of the ocean. Children learn to make friends and bond with other children at Summer Camps. Surﬁng helps children make those friends. Not only is surﬁng fun, it also gives you a total body workout and increases balance and posture. When kids paddle out to catch a wave they are developing upper body strength and getting a good cardiovascular workout at the same time. Surﬁng will also help with cross training for other sporting activities. One of the best is swimming. Surﬁng teaches children concentration and the ability to tackle ﬁeld sports such as rugby and soccer head on in the same way as facing that big wave. Surﬁng is taught via one-on-one tuition by fully trained lifeguards on safe, fully netted beaches. Even if you don’t live nearby, why not send your child to the coast for a whole week? Apart from surﬁng, Summer Camps also offer a wide range of other activities with counsellors on hand to help your child overcome any problems or inhibitions they may have. Coming to Summer Camp will be the experience of a lifetime for your child.
Call 079 892 7603
WOOD CREATIONS All CCA Treated Poles & Timber FIBREGLASS SLIDES MANUFACTURER (DIRECT TO THE PUBLIC)
SPECIAL R4999 incl. VAT
Contact: Sugar Bay, 032 – 485 3778, email@example.com. Visit www.sugarbay.co.za.
• Platform & Roof • Step Ladder • Slide • Cargo Net • Double Swing Set • Installation • Many add-ons available Tel: 0861 11 55 37 www.sloughtrading.co.za Terms & Conditions Apply
Educated Life Childline is committed to the protection of children against emotional, physical and sexual abuse. Please call us if you’d like to help 08000 55 555.
Are you or your child not coping? • Psycho Educational Assessments • Art/Play Therapy • Adolescent Therapy/ Assessments • Adult Individual Therapy • Couple Counselling • Family Counselling • Trauma Counselling
Claire Hartshorne Psychologist Practice No. 0059978
Cell: 084 240 9610 Tel: 033 - 345 2041
Practice Number: 0193267 School Grade 1 - 12 Remedial lessons: all subjects Assistance with exam preparation
033 - 343 4086 083 395 1321
THE AUDIBLOX PROGRAMME HELPS TO:
5 Ways To Change Your Child’s Life (and your own)
With our revolutionary programme in 6-10 weeks, you can: 1. Improve reading and comprehension 2. Improve marks 3. Increase self-confidence 4. Change their life with one-on-one tuition by Qualified Teachers 5. Guarantee results We Serve: • Hilton • Pietermaritzburg • Participating schools
To ensure a quick response, phone Devon White today
Read and Learn Better, Faster and more effectively From Grade 1.5 to Adults
• Increase intelligence • Sharpen attention & concentration • Develop accurate perception • Improve long & short term memory • Promote logical thought • Improve reading • Build self-esteem & self-confidence
Anne 033 - 386 3040
033 - 343 3226 • firstname.lastname@example.org • www.wiseeye.co.za
• Onsite Audiologist • Hearing Screening & Testing (All Ages) • Quality Hearing Aid Fittings • Worker’s Compensation Cases & Medico-Legal Cases 331 Burger Street, St Anne’s Medical Centre, Suite 104, Pietermaritzburg 033 - 342 6881 email@example.com
... the joy of learning. educational books for the developing mind
We offer an extensive range of quality educational toys and games to pre-primary and primary schools.
Baba Genius books are educational books for the developing mind, which stimulate your child’s brain & encourages skilful learning for the years to follow. Ages 0 - 4 years. Solina Naidoo • 031 - 764 3319 • 082 852 9707 firstname.lastname@example.org • www.babagenius.com
Contact Liz Meyer on 083 955 9105 to set up an appointment at your school. email@example.com www.compendiumgames.co.za
ENROL NOW FOR 2012 We give children from 3yrs - 11yrs the ‘unfair’ advantage! • We create a LOVE for MATHS • We promote intuitive thinking • We enhance problem solving capabilities • We cultivate a photographic memory Please contact John Cato on 071 855 8840 or visit www.semas.co.za for further details.
Present this advert and get an introductory lesson FREE!
To advertise: 031 - 573 1731
Easter Life Art Competition Just Boutique, Mum’s Mail and Cascades Shopping Centre are teaming up to raise funds for LifeLine. LifeLine & Rape Crisis Pietermaritzburg has provided a 24-hour telephone counselling and support service through its Crisis Line and various community projects since 1972. Since then they have helped thousands of people to deal with various traumatic events. They aim to be a leading provider of emotional wellness, skills and opportunities to enable individuals and communities in KZN to grow and develop. The competition comprises two categories the “Colouring-in Competition” for children aged three to six, and the “Primary School Original Art Competition” for children aged ﬁve to 10 (see entry form on page 11 for details). The competition runs from 1 April to 1 May at Cascades Shopping Centre. Prizes include: Mum’s Mail Boot (a fabulous prize to the value of R10 000), and stunning hampers from Cascades Shopping Centre. The overall winner will also win a craft class party courtesy of Just Boutique and Sandcraft party supplies. Judging will take place on Mother’s Day and art works will be displayed at the centre during the second week in May. Competition entry forms are available at Cascades Shopping Centre or can be downloaded from www.mumsmail.com/site/pdf-downloads. The entry fee is a R10 donation to LifeLine. Completed artworks, together with the money, should be placed in the competition box outside Checkers Cascades. For more info contact: Lara, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Open 7 days a week 9am - 4:30pm Entry R12p.p.
CHILDREN’S ANIMAL TOUCH FARM • Fun, family outing • Milking demos • Pony & tractor rides R5 each • Jungle gym • Kiddies’ birthday parties from R15pp • Christmas parties & Christenings • School outings • Picnic & braai sites • Foofy slide & zip line EASTER SPECIAL: PRESENT THIS ADVERT AND RECEIVE 1 X FREE PONY RIDE PER FAMILY 3 Lello Rd, Botha’s Hill (1km after Kearsney College), 031 - 765 2240 www.animalfarmyard.co.za
FOR AGES 5 & UP Bring your JNR GI to our exciting BOOT CAMP KIDS’ venue for an experience of a lifetime KIDS’ PARTIES PAINTBALL SCHOOL OUTINGS HOLIDAY ACTIVITIES
082 782 6432 www.bootcamp-sa.co.za
Busy Life APRIL AWARENESS DAYS • Health Awareness Month • 2: World Autism Awareness Day • 6 – 9: Easter • 7: World Health Day • 7 – 14: Jewish Passover • 17: World Haemophilia Day • 22: Earth Day • 23: World Book Day • 23 – 29: African Vaccination Week • 25: World Malaria Day • 27: Freedom Day.
8402. • KWAZULU-NATAL MUSEUM: Mon – Fri 8.15am – 4.30pm, Sat 9am – 4pm, Sun 10am – 3pm, Jabu Ndlovu St, PMB. Contact 033 – 345 1404. • BOOKS2YOU: • 16 & 17 Apr, Scottsville Primary School • 18 & 19 Apr, Clarence Road Primary. Contact Paula, 082 907 1573.
ARTS & CULTURE
• THE KILN PHOTOGRAPHY & ART GALLERY: Sat, 7am – 11am, Karkloof Farmers’ Market. Contact Doug Morton, 082 611 6991.
• KINGDOM BUSINESS NETWORKING: 25 Apr, 8am, The Coffeeberry, Cascades Mall. Contact Belinda, email@example.com. • ENVIRONMENT FORUM: Mon, 4pm, PMB Chamber of Business. Contact Marie, 033 – 345 2747, firstname.lastname@example.org. • WOMEN IN BUSINESS FORUM CONFERENCE PRESENTATIONS: 3 & 4 Apr, Malawi. Contact Ali Engelbrecht, ceo@ womeninbusiness.org.za, www.womeninbusiness.org.za.
• GOD’S WAREHOUSE (WHEATFIELD MISSION OUTREACH): Assists families who have no food. For food drop-off points contact Debbie Schroeder, 083 230 6643, godswarehouse@ telkomsa.net. • A WALK FOR THOSE WHO CAN’T: 18 – 20 May, PMB – Durban. To raise funds for Quadpara Association. Cost: R200. Contact Jo Wilkinson, 031 – 792 8833, 072 717 6300, email@example.com. • MSUNDUZI HOSPICE CHARITY SHOP: 200 Zwartkop Rd, Prestbury. Mon – Fri 8am – 3.45pm, Sat 8am – 1pm. Donations welcomed. Contact 033 – 344 1560. • HELP FERAL CATS: Donate food or cash to the SPCA for sterilisation & care of feral cats. Contact Maureen Vider, PMB SPCA, 033 – 386 9267. • ASSIST: Offers counselling, emergency care safe house, “Baby Safes”. The organisation needs: baby & children’s clothes & equipment. Contact Rene Morcom, 033 – 347 5544. • ESTHER HOUSE: Safe place for abused women & children. Contact June if you would like to assist, firstname.lastname@example.org.
• HOITY TOITY CUPCAKES: For specially designed toppers on cupcakes, cupcake parties & cupcake classes. Contact Yola, 079 517 2220, email@example.com. • EASTER FLORAL WORKSHOP: 5 Apr, 8.30am – 12pm, Enhance Beauty Clinic, 200 Murray Rd, PMB. Cost: R300 p.p. (incl. eats). Contact firstname.lastname@example.org. • LEARN HOW TO DRUM: 12 Apr. Contact WIB, secretary@ womeninbusiness.org.za or Mike & Tracey Chananie, email@example.com. • JUST BOUTIQUE: Food, craft & health workshops for kids & adults. Contact Lara Edmonds, firstname.lastname@example.org, 033 – 342 4984. • INTERIOR DECORATING COURSE: 10 lessons, evenings (starting 8 May), 15 lessons, mornings (starts 18 July), 11 Centenary Rd. Contact Brenda Horner, Décor School, 083 372 1737, email@example.com. • SIMPLY BREATHE – LEARNING THE ART OF MEDITATION: Thurs, 5.30pm – 6.30pm, Yellowwood Café, Howick. Cost: R30. Contact Hayley, 072 971 8450, meditateinmidlands@ gmail.com. • EMOTION IN MOTION: Stress release sessions, conference workshops, ice breakers, body-mind awareness. Oneon-one or group sessions, incl. movement. Contact Charlotte Blignaut, firstname.lastname@example.org. • GENERAL SEWING & SOFT FURNISHINGS CLASSES: Mon afternoons. Contact Brenda Horner, 082 372 1737, email@example.com.
• A HANDFUL OF KEYS: 19 – 21 Apr, Schlesinger Theatre, Michaelhouse. Contact Leigh Kotze, 033 – 234 1314, firstname.lastname@example.org. • SPLASHY FEN MUSIC FESTIVAL: 5 – 9 Apr, Underberg. Contact 031 – 563 0824. • MOUNTAIN VIEW ENTERTAINMENT: • Sun, 12pm – 4pm, live music (Jammo). • Wed, 6pm, Music Circle (Jammo). • Wed, Friendship Club & Pizza Specials • Fri, 7pm, Movie night. Contact email@example.com. • THE LAST LAUGH – MARITAL B: 13 Apr, Golden Horse Casino, PMB. Contact 033 – 395 8000. • JAMMO: Music & entertainment, every Fri, 6pm, Cliffy’s, PMB. Contact Tracy, 071 355 8714. • DRUMKIDZ PARTIES: Contact Bhavna, 081 587 2599, firstname.lastname@example.org.
• ADD/ADHD SUPPORT GROUP: For parents of children with ADD/ADHD. Contact Ralph Gilbert, ralph@drgilbert. co.za.
• VODACOM SUPER RUGBY: 5 Apr – 14 Jul, Australia & New Zealand & South Africa, various times. • MINIATURE LIVE STEAM TRAINS: 1st Sun (1 Apr), 10am – 4pm, Bisley, PMB. Contact Andries Keyser, PMB Model Engineering Society, 082 557 2119.
• KARKLOOF MARKET: Sat, 7am – 11am, 2.6km outside Howick on Karkloof Rd (access on D507). Contact Andrea, 082 820 8986. • INCHANGA CRAFT MARKET: Last Sun of the month, 9am – 3pm, Inchanga Station & Railway Museum. Contact 076 564 6357, email@example.com. • MIDLANDS ULTRA TRIATHLON MARKET: 4 Mar, 6.30am, Midmar Dam. Contact Caryn Glasson if you are a vendor, 076 811 2193. • NITE MARKET: Last Thurs, Cliffy’s, PMB. Contact Tracy, 071 355 8714. • CAR BOOT SALE: Last Sun, 9am – 1pm, Cliffy’s, PMB. Contact Tracy, 071 355 8714. • SHONGWENI FARMERS’ & CRAFT MARKET: Sat, 6.30am – 10.30am, cnr Alverstone & Kassier Rd, Assagay. Contact 083 777 1674. Visit www.shongwenimarket.co.za. • PMB FARMERS’ MARKET: Sat, 6am, Alexandra Park. Contact 082 886 0687. • CITY HALL CRAFT MARKET: Sat, 9am – 2pm, opposite City Hall. Contact 033 – 396 2807. • THE FOOD MARKET: 28 Apr, 8am – 1pm, Hellenic Community Centre, Durban North. Visit www.thefoodmarket. co.za for more info.
• MIDLANDS INDIGENOUS & EDIBLE PLANT FAIR: 27 – 29 Apr, Royal Showgrounds. Contact Karen Zunckel, 033 – 343 1739, 083 235 8628, firstname.lastname@example.org. • PAMPER PARTIES: For girls aged 4 – 12, at your home. Cost: minimum R50 per child. Contact Nirvana Pillay, 076 492 4965, 033 – 397 2944, email@example.com. Send your May 2012 Diary Dates to firstname.lastname@example.org & email@example.com with “Pietermaritzburg Diary” in the subject line before 10 April 2012. Entries will be published space permitting & at the Editor’s discretion. Please conﬁrm all details of events with contact person.
• CENTRE FOR FINE ART ANIMATION & DESIGN – CAMPUS OPENS IN PMB: The centre (in Prince Alfred St) offers part-time & full-time Diploma tuition plus Young Artist Programme (for children 10 – 18 years). Contact 031 – 240
e. & o.e
To advertise: 031 - 573 1731
The Sticker Stash gives you every sticker shape and type you need to create your unique ID! Design your own personal brand through your choice of colour, letter-style and picture icon, to label your belongings.
NEVER LOSE YOUR THINGS AGAIN! YOU’LL RECOGNISE YOUR STUFF EASILY IN A CROWD.
te ple om inA c contahan t k r pac more ers fo ing stick 290! 0 R 0 y 2 nl o
strip sticker shoe spots
dots ‘n dashes WOOD LAMINATE FLOORING
WOODEN VENETIAN BLINDS
CURTAIN RODS & TRACKS
At all Hirsch’s Homestores • UMHLANGA/GATEWAY 031 - 566 7002• BALLITO 032 - 946 2922 • HILLCREST 031 - 765 5854 • SPRINGFIELD 031 - 263 2346 • PIETERMARITZBURG 033 - 342 5902
domed ring tag
Order Online www.kidstickers.co.za
Bring in this advert to qualify for a 10% discount on any of our products listed above. Offer Valid until 1st May 2012
SO L A R H OT W ATE R
S Y ST
SWIM ALL YEAR ROUND IN A HEATED POOL! We offer Solar & Heatpump Pool Heating
Creations Gift Shop & Nursery All gifts & crafts are made in South Africa. We support several community upliftment projects. We stock a beautiful selection of handcrafted fabric dolls, with the cutest boy and girl bunnies for Easter. Gypsey Lou handbags, beaded jewellery, ceramics, wooden words and hearts, natural soap range & lots more! The nursery stocks a range of indigenous plants, aloes and trees as well as exotic plants and roses.
Open Monday to Sunday - 8.30am - 5pm
ECO POOL HEAT PUMPS FOR ALL YEAR ROUND SWIMMING! From 3.8kw - R9999 fully installed!
SPECIAL! 4 Solar Pool Panels Installed for R4499 Dominic - 082 800 3215 Glen - 082 800 6591 Fred - 071 602 1523 www.hitemp.co.za 032 947 1802 • 032 586 0253
Linga Lapa, Nottingham Road Exit, Midlands Meander Lorna Symons, 082 498 7412, firstname.lastname@example.org Find us on Facebook
Mum’s Mail • 031 - 573 1731 • email@example.com• www.mumsmail.com