Pietermaritzburg & Midlands | April 2014 30 000 Free Magazines | www.mumsmail.com
Where Will I Find...? 3 4&6 5 7 8 9 10 11 - 13 14 15 16
Editor’s Life Everyday Life JAM Clothing PMB Ladies’ Breakfast Healthy Life/Beautiful Life Educated Life Tiny Life Young Life/Party Life Relaxed Life Busy Life KZN Museum
the Dianne D. Studio Sewing & Crafts
CARPET & UPHOLSTERY CLEANING
mum’s Editor: mail team
Alice Leah • firstname.lastname@example.org • 031 - 573 1731 (ext 5) Sub-Editor: Sarah Mackintosh • email@example.com • 072 384 9553 Enquiries/Accounts: Daniella Fensome • 031 - 573 1731 (ext 3) Advertising Sales: Bev Delew • firstname.lastname@example.org • 031 - 573 1731 (ext 4) Roving Reporter: Tasha Jardim, 083 381 8483, email@example.com Designer: Wendy Offer Model: Riley Howells Photographer: Saysha Baker of Saysha Baker Photography firstname.lastname@example.org • www.sayshabaker.co.za
Pam 083 448 3520 Owner supervised
031 - 714 4700
1930 - 2012 • Cars, Bakkies, Microbuses • Runners, Non-Runners • Rusted or Accident Damaged • FREE Evaluation • Highest Cash Paid
083 207 9402
All your unwanted smalls, clothing, toys etc. Will collect in Pietermaritzburg and close surrounding areas. Are you moving home, clearing out? Give us a call to collect.
• Weddings • 21sts • Gift Packs • Corporate Gifts and more! Enquiries 083 381 8483 | email@example.com Shop 11, Jacaranda Centre, Hilton Avenue, Hilton Buy your fudge online: www.tashasfudge.co.za
* Classes for students from 6 years to adults. * Holiday workshops for crafts and sewing. * Sewing machines supplied. 084 240 1992 firstname.lastname@example.org www.diannedstudio.co.za
WANTED! DEAD OR ALIVE
DISCLAIMER: Neither the Publisher, Printer or Editor can be held responsible for damages or consequences of any omissions or errors, as every care is taken to ensure the accuracy of the information in Mum’s Mail. We do not guarantee the performance or quality of service of any of the advertisers in this magazine. No part of Mum’s Mail magazine may be reproduced without the written consent of the Editor.
New “I Sewing” patterns from Sew Southern Africa coming. A new launch with exciting new projects.
Learning DifficuLties? speciaL neeDs? We may be your answer 2 Quarry Road, Hilton 033 - 343 4086 email@example.com
Open 7 days a week from 10am until late
• Baby Showers • Kitchen Teas • Birthday Celebrations • Engagements/Parties • Hens/Bulls’ Parties • Reunions • Private Dining
033 330 7636
firstname.lastname@example.org www.cornerpost.co.za 124 Main Street, Howick
Why us? We offer affordable top quality repairs & stock a wide range of spares to carry out repairs fast and efficiently to all Smartphone and Tablet related devices. We specialise in out of warranty repairs or where your warranty is not covered by your service provider. √ LCDs • Cracked Screens √ Liquid Damage √ Troubleshooting √ Software Upgrades √ A-Z Accessories
Tel: 033 345 7162
50 Winston Rd. Old Nestle Factory
Painting & Home Renovations
* Painting * Ceilings * Plumbing * electrical * Carpentry * Waterproofing * Refurbishment of decks
all workmanship covers a minimum of 6 months guarantee and is always supervised
Contact Ben 082 326 8992 PmB – Howick
Editor’s Life In case you’ve not noticed, very little work is bound to get done during the month of April. The school holidays run from 28 March to 7 April (for most schools) and then the Easter weekend runs from 18 April to 21 April. Add Freedom Day on 27 April to the mix (it’s on a Sunday so Monday 28 April will also be a public holiday), and Thursday 1 May (Workers’ Day) – and I’m sure that most schools will close on Friday 2 May too.
GRADES 1 - 12
Trying to get any work done is going to be a real challenge, makes me want to take the whole month of April off! When I worked for a boss, I loved public holidays – for obvious reasons. But owning your own business makes public holidays somewhat of an inconvenience. Theoretically, you should/could get as much more done in a four day week, as you know you need to cram in 5 days of work, but it seldom works like that. A holiday fever seems to grip the office and everyone is in a party mood. We are busy planning a camping trip down the south coast for the Easter weekend. We don’t get away in our caravan as often as we would like to, but when we do, the kids have an absolute blast. I was starting to think that my 14 year old would be over camping by now (last week she told me that hash tags are now “so last season by the way”), but she was the most excited when we suggested it. What do you have planned for the holidays?
Is your child struggling at school?
Our proven methodology boosts school results and self-conﬁdence • English • Afrikaans • Maths • Maths Lit • Science For empathetic tutoring by experienced teachers, call
033 - 386 8217
Scottsville, Pietermaritzburg www.tutorpmb.co.za
Maths. reading. Success.
Give your child the edge. ScottSville Gina 082 564 9537 email@example.com PMB central lulama 072 596 2767 firstname.lastname@example.org neWHolMe Deena 072 511 8441 education You can count on
To advertise: 031 - 573 1731
Everyday Life Record Attendance at Laddsworth Open Day Laddsworth Primary School hosted a record number of more than 160 prospective parents at their annual Open Day on 12 March. Headmaster, Gavin Lambooy welcomed everyone and introduced them to Laddsworth’s history, culture, and the multi faceted education that this 111-year-old school offers. Neelan Pillay, the Senior Primary Head of Departmant, shared information about the Grade 4 to 7 experience at Laddsworth while Sally Kelly, the Junior Primary Head of Department, advised parents on how they could best prepare their children for the Foundation Phase. Contact: Mrs Karen Gafney, 033 – 343 3256, email@example.com.
We p erf or m
ar m to ke ep you w
4 Sunseeker Pool panels installed from R4999 5.5kw Hi Temp heatpumps installed from R12499 Retroﬁt your 150L or 200L geyser with solar panel, geyserwise max controller & pump from R6999 including Eskom Rebate T&C’s apply
Dominic - 082 800 3215 Glen - 082 800 6591 Fred - 071 602 1523 www.hitemp.co.za 032 947 1802
Liesel and Wayne Coertze with Gavin Lambooy
Shop: 033 - 347 0724 Shop 109, Cascades Shopping Centre, Mc Carthy Drive, Pietermaritzburg
Carmen Haldane, Lindy Cook, Caryn Porritt and Neelan Pillay www.mumsmail.com
Monday - Friday 7am - 6pm, Saturday - Sunday 7am - 3pm, Public Holidays - Closed
KIDS Scottsville 033 346 2750 Edendale 033 398 2164
JAM HQ: 031 303 9670
To advertise: 031 - 573 1731
Everyday Life Sticking to Your Medication: Top 10 Tips Many South Africans are prescribed medication for depression, bipolar, anxiety and a variety of other mental illnesses. However, sometimes we are not informed about what we can expect from our medication. The South African Depression and Anxiety Group offers these tips for sticking to your medication: • Know how you are supposed to take your medication. Go over your prescription with your doctor. • If you need to take your medication on an empty stomach, take it at least one hour before a meal. If it should be taken with food, then take it after a full meal, and not just a snack. • Set a reminder on your watch or cell phone to help remind you about your medication. • Get support: Do not be afraid to ask your family or friends for help.
• Talk to your doctor or pharmacist: Do not be afraid to ask them about anything you don’t understand. • Use a pill box to help you organise your medication. • Keep a mood diary and medication list. • Side-effects can be expected, but they are manageable. Do not stop taking your medication without talking to your doctor. • Medication doesn’t start working immediately, you need to give it at least a few weeks. Stick to your medication, even if you feel that it is not working, or when you are feeling better. • Keep your medication in an easy-to-spot place at home. Keep some at your work or office, in case you forget to take them with you. SADAG’s helplines, staffed by trained volunteer counsellors, are available from 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week. Source: The South African Depression and Anxiety Group, 0800 21 22 23, www.sadag.org
® (Syrup, Tablets)
Channelise mental energy
Clinically proven to: Reduce hyperactivity Improve attention and concentration Improve short and long-term memory
do En by
Consult your Pharmacist or Doctor. Stock available at Community Pharmacists & Health Stores!
For more information contact the Durban branch: Nolan Pillay - 071 860 9660 or firstname.lastname@example.org Bradley Chetty - 073 250 0147 or email@example.com Ashiyanah Singh - 081 467 1179 or firstname.lastname@example.org Ronald Ramkrishna - 084 555 5629 or RRamkrishna@pharmed.co.za Charmaine Maree or Kajal Maharaj - 031 571 2800 or email@example.com
PMB Ladies’ Breakfast Don’t Miss the Mum’s Mail Ladies’ Breakfast
Sunflower Fund, whose sole purpose is to pay for the tissue typing of potential bone marrow stem cell donors for inclusion on the South African Bone Marrow Registry. Mum’s Mail is hosting a ladies’ breakfast The more donors on the registry, the more on Friday 30th of May at the Protea Hotel hope leukaemia patients have of finding in Hilton and the organisers are selling their life-saving donor match. 200 tickets. The breakfast starts at 8.30am and tickets are R200 each or R1 750 for a For more information on The Sunflower table of ten. Booking is essential as tables Fund visit www.sunflowerfund.org.za or are filling fast. To book tickets, sponsor a call toll free 0800 12 10 82. prize or items towards the ladies’ goodie bags, please call Kenwyn on 083 632 3224 or email her on kenwyn@sunflowerfund. org.za. The price includes a fabulous goodie bag, a delicious breakfast, wonderful guest speakers and exciting lucky draw prizes. There will also be a raffle, a pamper station and numerous retail therapy shops. The dress code for the morning is floral with a hat or fascinator (optional) and there will be a prize for the best dressed.
Photo: Kate Oliver (iNsingizi Lodge), Helet Borchardt (Sanlam), Alice Leah (Mum’s Mail) and Kenwyn Geyser (The Sunflower Fund).
The event aims to raise money for The
To advertise: 031 - 573 1731
Healthy Life/Beautiful Life Farhana Khan Audiologist & SpeechLanguage Therapist PR.No. 8210276
• Diagnostic Hearing Evaluation • Otoacoustic Emission Testing • Paediatric Audiological Assessment • Hearing Aid Evaluation, Fitting & Counselling • Auditory Processing Disorder Assessment • Dysphagia Assessment & Therapy for Adults & Children
Tel: 033 342 6881
farhanak@ audiologyandspeech.co.za St Anne’s Medical Centre
The Audiblox ProgrAmme helPs To:
• Increase intelligence • Sharpen attention & concentration • Develop accurate perception • Improve long & short term memory • Promote logical thought • Improve reading • Build self-esteem & self-confidence
Anne 033 - 386 3040
Tamryn Sprunt Counselling Psychologist M.Soc.Sc (Natal) PS 086 00 081911 • PR 086 002 0197394
SPecial inteReStS in:
The Fun Way to Fitness & Weight Loss
• Post-natal depression and adjusting to being a new mother • Anxiety and depression in women and relationship issues
BRANCHES IN: Hilton, Howick & Pietermaritzburg
For more information: Hilton 082 809 4862 • Howick 072 908 9375 Pietermaritzburg 084 582 4005 www.runwalkforlife.com
073 632 7269 firstname.lastname@example.org Rooms: 317 Bulwer Rd, Pietermaritzburg
Contact Marcelle for an appointment – 082 375 3805
email@example.com • http://thermoscan.wozaonline.co.za
“NO X-RAY MAMMOGRAM!”
SPECIAL OFFER (Valid until end April)
Bring a friend and each receive R100 OFF the cost of your breast scan! • Painless • Harmless • No Radiation • No Compression
Why wait for it when you can prevent it! www.mumsmail.com
Educated Life Local Composting Company Gives Back to Children
Are you or your child not coping?
Thanks to the generous donation by KZN composting company, Farmyard Organics, the Mayibuye One-Stop Centre’s vegetable garden has undergone a much needed revamp. It will now be able to supply fresh, organically grown vegetables to their soup kitchen that feeds over 120 hungry children every day. Farmyard Organics donated 100 bags of their premium compost and trays of new vegetables from Sunshine Seedlings to the Mayibuye One-Stop Centre in Dambuza, Pietermaritzburg. The compost will be used to rejuvenate the large scale vegetable garden that supplies fresh vegetables to the Dambuza Soup Kitchen at the centre. The centre supports disadvantaged and vulnerable children in the community through specialised welfare programmes run by The Child and Family Welfare Society of Pietermaritzburg.
• Psycho Educational Assessments • Art/Play Therapy • Adolescent Therapy/ Assessments • Adult Individual Therapy • Couple Counselling • Family Counselling • Trauma Counselling
Claire Hartshorne Psychologist Practice No. 0059978
Cell: 084 240 9610 Tel: 033 - 346 2041
Shobana Singh PR. NO: 0203750
Speech Therapist ADULTS & CHILDREN SpeCiAl inTereSTS • Reading & Spelling
• Stroke Rehabilitation The centre relies completely on donations, as well as volunteers from the community to keep the centre running. It celebrated • Paediatric & its tenth birthday at the end of February, having provided soup Swallowing Disorders daily to children since 2004. “It is very difficult to keep projects Suite 104, St Anne’s Hospital Tel: 033 - 342 4701 like this one running as they rely on donations from the public Cell: 072 399 4189 firstname.lastname@example.org and companies. The compost from Farmyard Organics and the seedling from Sunshine Seedlings will help the garden and soup kitchen to 5 Ways To Change Your Child’s Life! (and your own) sustain itself for the next few months,” said Sithembiso Khumalo, project co-ordinator With our revolutionary programme in 6-10 weeks, you can: reading and DisappointeD of The Child and Family Welfare Society of 1. Improve comprehension with your chilD’s Pietermaritzburg. 2. Improve marks school report?
3. Increase self-confidence 4. Benefit from one-on-one tuition by qualified teachers 5. Guarantee results
We Serve: • Hilton • Scottsville • Mountain Rise
Read and learn better, faster and more effectively! From Grade 1 to Adults. 033 - 343 3226 • email@example.com • www.wiseeye.co.za
Lilo Qualified BioLink agent Biolink Centre Manager T: 083 336 9038 E: firstname.lastname@example.org
To advertise: 031 - 573 1731
Tiny Life Signs of a Bad Babysitter It’s not always easy to know whether your child’s caregiver is doing her job. To make sure, you may have to do some sleuthing. Some parents who suspect something’s amiss rent nanny surveillance equipment. But it’s often possible to tell whether something’s wrong without going to that extreme. You may have trouble on your hands if: • Your child seems afraid of the nanny or babysitter and has become anxious and withdrawn. Many times, kids need an adjustment period to get used to a new caregiver. But if your child seems fearful or continues to be unhappy, it’s worth looking into. • Your nanny or babysitter seems secretive about the daily routine. How your child and her caregiver spend their time shouldn’t be a secret. • Your child has been in one too many easily avoidable accidents. A nanny must keep her eye on your child, and know what he’s doing at all times to prevent injury. • Your nanny or babysitter often shows up late. An undependable caregiver will leave you in a lurch time and time again. • Your child often looks unusually unkempt and dirty. If your little one’s caregiver can’t take care of the basics, it may be a sign that she’s not on the ball when it comes to meeting your child’s needs. • Your child is consistently hungry and tired. If your child eats like she hasn’t had a bite all day or is so exhausted she can’t keep her eyes open, that’s a red flag. The caregiver may not be following regular mealtimes or nap times. • You simply get a bad feeling about the caregiver. When in doubt, trust your gut. Source: www.babycentre.com. www.mumsmail.com
Young Life/Party Life Smartie Party Planners
Pietermaritzburg Gymnastics Academy Gymnastics improves posture, co-ordination, stamina, flexibility and discipline of mind & body.
We specialise in kiddies’ themed parties, jumping castles, face painting, cakes and lots more...
• Boys & Girls • Age 3 & up • Fun filled programmes
Book Your Child’s Next Birthday Party With Us! Natasha 084 255 1142 email@example.com www.supakids.co.za Leaders In The Kids’ Party Industry!
Contact Sherri on 083 547 5981
PMB & Upper Highway
Samantha 074 764 3342 Sue 084 395 0379 BBM: 2A4FCE88 firstname.lastname@example.org
Candy Floss, Slush Puppies, Popcorn, Lucky Packets & Jumping Castles Candy Floss Made For: • School Markets • Fundraising • Birthday Parties • Corporate Events • Flea Markets • Fêtes • Community & Social Functions We also supply pre-packaged Candy Floss for retail stores.
076 913 7855 or 084 607 4593
B'Dazzled We Specialise in Kiddies’ Parties!
HOLIDAY ACTIVITIES ON 1 & 2 APRIL
• Popcorn machine • Candy floss • Mini donuts • Kids’ tables & chairs • Water slides • Jumping castles (from R300) • Chocolate fountain • Bubble Machine Packages from R500 Weddings & Events
033 - 344 3903
• Plain & various themed tables • Chairs for little ones • Stools for 8 years & older • Chair & stool covers • Personalised banners • Customised piñatas & centre-pieces on request
072 245 2524 | 074 640 5817
Visit our showroom
THE ONE STOP PARTY Jumping Castles & Children’s Party Planner
Specialising in Kidz Themed Parteez! We provide: Themed Party Table & Chairs, Tableware & Décor, Jumping Castles, Popcorn & Candy Floss Machines, Cakes, Sand Art, Face Painting, Bambino Toddlers’ Set, Themed Fur Costumes (Spiderman, Hello Kitty, Barney, Minnie Mouse & Winnie the Pooh), Themed Adult Table and Chairs, Photography & So Much More...
Visit our party showroom for your next party!
Anthea on 082 302 5835 • email@example.com www.hoppersandbugs.co.za
Like us on FACEBOOK & See Our Current Competition!
To advertise: 031 - 573 1731
Young Life/Party Life Pietermaritzburg Model Engineering Society
private functions on request. It’s a venue that truly has something for everyone and is not to be missed.
Every first Sunday of the month, the Pietermaritzburg Model Engineering Society opens its gates to young and old to travel back in time on a real working steam locomotive, just on a smaller scale.
Contact: Andries, 082 557 2119, firstname.lastname@example.org, www.pmes.co.za, www.facebook.com/halleypark.
WIN WIN WIN Mum’s Mail has 20 train Halley Park is located in the quiet suburb ride tickets to give away to 1 lucky reader. of Bisley, Pietermaritzburg. Featuring one Visit www.mumsmail.com to enter. of the world’s best miniature railways, this park boasts exceptionally well-kept Learn to swim the fun way grounds and a location for a Sunday picnic Kids from 2 - 6 years outing unlike any other in KZN. under the sea swim school
Adults and children can enjoy a ride on the trains, which are powered either by steam or by diesel. Although the rides are by no means exhilarating, they are unquestionably interesting as the trains negotiate sharp bends, cross bridges and travel through a tunnel. As each locomotive is clearly distinguishable from another, everyone has their favourites and at times it is difficult to discern who is having more fun, the children or their parents.
Small groups • Heated pool No registration fees Qualiﬁed SSA LTS Instructor
Lyall 083 646 6503
The PMES offers families a safe and affordable way to have fun together while appreciating the beauty of nature and enjoying the ingenuity of man. It is open on the first Sunday of every month from 10am until 3pm. Train rides cost R8 and entrance is free. There are also a small variety of snacks and drinks for sale The PMES also hosts birthday parties and
Bookings still open for 2014!
Start your kids on a fun musical adventure today! Come and experience the real joy of MUSIC...
• Learn all about instruments • Playing of all percussion instruments • Learning rhythm patterns & tonal patterns • Reading music and understanding music language • Graphic notation • Body movement and awareness “Discover the music in your child”
Jane Terblanche, Hilton • Cell: 082 788 8231 Website: www.musikgarten.co.za
SPECIAL R4999 incl. VAT
All CCA Treated Poles & Timber Includes: • Platform & Roof • Step Ladder • Slide • Cargo Net • Double Swing Set • Installation • Many add-ons available
Terms & Conditions Apply
55 Henwood Road, Pinetown 0861 11 55 37 Share-call • 031 - 705 4209 email@example.com www.playgroundworld.co.za
Young Life/Party Life Soccer Development Surges Forward in ‘Maritzburg On 17 March, the Nashua Maritzburg United FC School Soccer Challenge officially kicked off at the Maritzburg United Sports Club, as youngsters from 16 different schools in the region took to the field to showcase their skills for the crowds gathered. This tournament was an opportunity for aspiring soccer players, from rural schools and former model C schools, to play against one another in a proper format, where winners took home trophies and medals and had their kit sponsored by Nashua. More importantly, the games were all closely watched by talent scouts from Maritzburg United, who are on the lookout for players to sign up for Maritzburg United Colts, the development team for Maritzburg United. In a recent statement to press, South African Soccer Association (SAFA) President Danny Jordaan acknowledged that the development structures in South Africa need urgent attention if South Africa wants to produce players capable of beating the best in the world.
For all ages & abilities • Heated pools • Showers/change rooms • Enclosed parking • Gym equipment • Tuck shop • Safe, park-like surroundings
KIDS’ OUTDOOR PLAYHOUSES & BRAND NEW KIDS’ BEDROOM FURNITURE RANGE
ODETTE 082 466 8577
Co-curricular or extra-mural course at your school, on a weekly basis by a trained Ms Manners. Create children prepared for the future with good manners & social skills, an attitude of willingness to please, respect, awareness of choice of behaviour, acceptance of consequences, empathy, consideration of the feelings of others, conscience and confidence.
• Function Décor Hire • Flowers • Special Occasions
Private and holiday classes also offered
We Will Suit Your Setting!
Kaamani 073 222 8473 firstname.lastname@example.org www.manners4minors.com
Anneke – 082 465 0241 Anne-Marie – 083 661 6368
General Sales Manager at Nashua Maritzburg, JP du Toit, views the Nashua Maritzburg United FC School Soccer Challenge as a big step in the right direction in this regard. Last year’s tournament resulted in Ryan Moon and Ayren Bond from Maritzburg College both being awarded with professional contracts with Maritzburg United, after having been scouted by Maritzburg United’s management team during the tournament. “Our goal with this tournament is simple, we want to keep kids off the street and provide a platform for them to make their dreams of one day playing professional soccer a reality. This is the second year that Nashua has sponsored this event, but we have big plans to grow this tournament going forward,” said du Toit. 13
To advertise: 031 - 573 1731
Relaxed Life Lunchtime at Olive & Oil Tired of raucous family restaurants, restaurateur Jacqui Itopoulos decided to open a sophisticated, yet reasonably priced family restaurant of her own, Olive & Oil in Umhlanga. That was eight years ago. Now there are five branches of this Mediterranean-styled restaurant in KZN, owned and managed by two families. Lasting through tough economic times must certainly be due as much to the “comfortable food made exceptionally well”, as it is to their ability to adapt to customers’ changing needs. To this end Olive & Oil now offers a special lunchtime menu seven days a week, which comprises two courses (R99.95) or three courses (R119.95) accompanied by a free glass of wine, or juice. There is also a kiddies’ menu with a range of choices at R35.95 each, together with a vanilla ice-cream cone for dessert, and most of the restaurants have their own kiddies’ room or Wendy House area to keep them entertained too! Contact: 032 – 586 0177 Ballito, 031 – 201 6146 Glenwood, 031 – 765 6214 Hillcrest, 033 – 347 1131 PMB, 031 – 561 2618 Umhlanga. WIN WIN WIN Mum’s Mail has a two course lunch for two people with a carafe of wine to give away to one lucky reader. Visit www.mumsmail.com to enter. Open 7 days a week 9am - 4:30pm, Entry R15p.p.
CHILDREN’S ANIMAL TOUCH FARM
EASTER SPECIAL: PRESENT THIS ADVERT • Fun, family outing AND RECEIVE 1 X FREE • Milking demos PONY RIDE • Pony & tractor rides R5 each PER FAMILY • Jungle gym • Kiddies’ birthday parties from R15pp • Christmas parties & Christenings • School outings • Picnic & braai sites • Foofy slide & zip line
Strawberry Jam & Cream Scone plus Tea / Coffee R25 3 Lello Rd, Botha’s Hill (1km after Kearsney College). 031 - 765 2240 or visit www.animalfarmyard.co.za
eni Steam Railway Est. 1982
“WESLEY” SAR CLASS 19D 2685
“THE INCHANGA CHOO CHOO STEAM TRAIN”
on The Valley of a Thousand Hills Line
SUNDAY 30 MARCH (8:30, 12:30 & 17:00) SATURDAY 19 APRIL (15:00) SUNDAY 20 APRIL EASTER BUNNY (8:30, 12:30 & 17:00) SUNDAY 27 APRIL (8:30, 12:30 & 17:00) kLOOF STATION (STOkERS ARMS) TO INCHANGA STATION CRAFT MARkET (All Return Trips)
• ADULT R 170 • PENSIONER & CHILD (2-12 yrs) R 130 AT INCHANGA STATION: CRAFT MARkET, MUSEUM, FOOD TO SUIT MOST TASTES & PICNIC AREA
ONLINE BOOkING www.umgenisteamrailway.co.za or phone 087 808 7715 or 082 353 6003
Arts & Culture
Busy Life • Health Awareness Month • 2: World Autism Awareness Day • 7: World Health Day • 10 – 16: World Homeopathy Awareness Week • 17: World Haemophilia Day • 18 – 21: Easter • 27: Freedom Day • 24 - 30: Global/African Vaccination Week • 25: World Malaria Day • 29 April – 17 May: National Polio (1st round) and Measles Immunization Campaign • 7 Apr, 9am – 4pm, MARITZBURG ARTS & CRAFTS MARKET, Alexandra Park, PMB, Monica, 082 774 5493 • 6, 13, 20 & 27 Apr, 9am – 2pm, CITY HALL CRAFT MARKET, opposite PMB City Hall, Michelle 033 – 396 2807. • 9 Apr, 7pm, PMB, WIB CORSETS & COCKTAILS, email@example.com • 20 Apr (Sun), 10.30am – 1.30pm, CELEBRATE EASTER AT CROW, family fun and Easter-themed activities in aid of wildlife. Face painting, Easter egg hunt, jumping castle, egg painting, clown show, lucky draw. Adults R40, children under 12: R30. Presentation and guided tour at 11am, booking essential. Contact Paul, 031 – 462 1127, info@ crowkzn.co.za • 5, 6, 12, 13, 26, 27 Apr (every Sat & Sun), 9.30am – 4.30pm, Chase Valley Rd Park, GROWING PARKS, Jumping Castle. All funds go to the upkeep of the park, firstname.lastname@example.org, Cost: FREE • 13 Apr, 7.30pm – 12am, LOVE TO LIVE FUNDRAISING DANCE, Eddels Sports Club, 74 Dartnell Road, R40 per person, Aroo Naidoo, 082 322 7275 • 12 Apr, 8.30am – 12.30pm, PMB, COUPLES WORKSHOP, Dylan Evans 073 231 5403 or Quraisha Baig 084 923 2600, www.dylanevans.co.za/ workshops • 9 & 10 Apr, Wed 10am – 3pm, Thurs 7.30am – 1pm, BOOKS2YOU BOOK FAIR, St Dominics, Newcastle, entrance free, every book bought helps get free books for your school. Kathy, 031 – 705 7744, email@example.com • 11 & 12 Apr, BOOKS2YOU BOOK FAIR, Forest View Primary, entrance free, every book bought helps get free books for your school. Kathy, 031 – 705 7744, firstname.lastname@example.org • 14 – 16 Apr, BOOKS2YOU BOOK FAIR, Scottsville Primary, entrance free, every book bought helps get free books for your school. Kathy, 031 – 705 7744, email@example.com
• 2, 9, 16, 23, 30 Apr, 10am – 11am, CIRCLE DANCING, 1 Committee Lane, Hilton, Deborah, 082 228 7943, 033 – 343 3226 • 1 & 2 Apr, HOLIDAY ACTIVITIES, Boot Ccamp, Giba Gorge, www.boot-camp.co.za • 19 Apr 3pm, 20 & 27 Apr 8.30am & 12.30pm & 5pm, Kloof to Inchanga Station Craft Market (return), INCHANGA CHOO CHOO STEAM TRAIN, 082 353 6003, www.umgenisteamrailway.co.za • 11 & 12 Apr, 9am – 4pm, HAPPY EARTH FESTIVAL, environmental education for children age 4 – 14, free entrance, KZN National Botanical Gardens, PMB, firstname.lastname@example.org, 082 779 6766 • 11 – 13 Apr, UCI MOUNTAIN BIKE WORLD CUP, The Cascades MTB Park, PMB, www. mtbworldcupsa.co.za • 5 & 26 Apr (Sat), 8am – 12pm, 235 Woodhouse Rd, PIETERMARITZBURG SPCA MORNING MARKET, 235 Woodhouse Road, 033 – 386 9267 • 5, 12, 19 & 26 Apr (Sat), 7am – 11am, 2.6km outside Howick on Karkloof Rd (access on D507), KARKLOOF FARMERS’ MARKET, 082 820 8986, Andrea • 5, 12, 19 & 26 Apr (Sat), 6am, Alexandra Park, PMB FARMERS’ MARKET, 082 886 0687 • 5, 6, 12, 13, 19, 20, 26 & 27 Apr (Sat & Sun), 10am – 4pm, Mountain View, MOUNTAIN VIEW CRAFT MARKET, 033 – 390 6311, Lee-Ann, lee@ltpromo. co.za • 26 Apr, 9am – 2pm, Hampstead Farm, Bishopstowe, HAMPSTEAD MARKET (Handmade goods), 076 676 0760, Tracey van der Walt, email@example.com • 5, 12, 19 & 26 Apr (Sat), 7am – 12pm, CLARIDGE FARM & GARDEN MARKET, 5km from Northway Spar, PMB on the Otto’s Bluff Road, 078 037 6908 • 25 & 26 Apr, Fri: 5pm – 9pm, Sat: 9am – 1pm, PMB DUNROBIN MARKET, Dunrobin Garden Centre, 31 Warwick Rd, Ferncliff (off Townbush Rd). Live music, kids’ entertainment, beer garden, food and crafts. • 27 Apr, 9am – 3pm, Inchanga Station & Railway Museum, INCHANGA CRAFT MARKET, 076 564 6357, firstname.lastname@example.org • 2 & 16 Apr, 12.15pm – 2.15pm, MARITZBURG CAMERA CLUB, Victoria Country Club, Peter Brown drive, PMB, Leon Heyes, pmbcameraclub@gmail. com Send your May Diary Dates to sarah@ mumsmail.com with “PMB Diary” in the subject line before 10 April. Entries will be published space permitting & at the Editor’s discretion. Please confirm all details of events with contact person.
To advertise: 031 - 573 1731
Visit the museum these holidays for a never ending journey of discovery!
Bring the whole family to spend an amazing day of discovery! So much to see from birds, dinosaurs and primates to African mammals, even a 3-legged chicken! Play the marimbas in the Sounds of Music display or be captivated by the underwater scene in the Marine Gallery. Climb the monkey bars in the Primate Gallery or take a walk in an actual cave in the Rock Art Gallery, even pretend to be a pirate on the shipwreck in the Towns & Trade display!
Always something new to see!
Bring in this advert for Free Entry for the whole family!
We are closed on Good Friday and Easter Monday 237 Jabu Ndlovu Street, Pietermaritzburg Tel: 033 - 3451404 • www.nmsa.org.za www.facebook.com/kznmuseum Mum’s Mail • 031- 573 1731 • email@example.com • www.mumsmail.com
Established in 2003, Mum's Mail has become one of the most indispensable resources for parents, grandparents, teachers, business owners and...