> Liliana Fernandes > Marta Marinho e Pinto > Sofia Walker
MEPI > MEI > 2013/2014
* *fzzt h Englis merica A *pop* * *click
*r En rrrg En glan * *z glis d * z zz h zt *cr zt* * ac k*
Bring me a cup of tea, please.
Le rf tâ€™ in s g, go m at e!
Yeee Gon Haw! na g mys et e a bu lf rger !
MESSAGE FROM: CSI CHIEF INSPECTOR CS
IC HI EF
FIND OUT THE ANSWERS.
Is it all English?
Hello, my name is Carl Walker and Iâ€™m from England. Iâ€™m 9 years old like my friend Mark from Scotland.
Hiya, my name is Mark McGregor and Iâ€™m from Scotland. Iâ€™m 9 years old like my friend Peter from Northern Ireland.
Hello, my name is Peter O’Reily and I’m from Northern Ireland. I’m 9 years old like my friend Daffyd from Wales.
Hello, my name is Daffyd Llewelyn and I’m from Wales. I’m 9 years old like my friend Connor from the Republic of Ireland.
Hi, my name is Connor O’Maley and I’m from the Republic of Ireland. I’m 9 years old like my friend Leonard from the United States of America.
Hi, my name is Leonard Goldberg and Iâ€™m from the USA. Iâ€™m 9 years old like my friend Mick from Australia.
Hiya, mate. My name is Mick Dundee and Iâ€™m from Australia. Iâ€™m 9 years old like my friend Nelson from South Africa.
Hello, my name is Nelson Botha and I’m from South Africa. I’m 9 years old .
Iâ€™m confused. There are so many countries, accents and cultures.
Can you Iâ€™m me help confused. on this mission?
ACTIVITY 1 Work in pairs.
Now that you have listened to some different â€œenglishesâ€?, try to play the role of one of them.
> Introduce yourself, choosing one of the accents.
ACTIVITY 2 >
Help me locating English speaking countries on the map.
> Match them with their flags and names.
> On your map, colour the english speaking countries and write down their names.
ENGLAND Capital City: London Big Ben
Dan (Ha iel Ra d rry Pot cliff ter )
SCOTLAND Capital City: Edinburgh
Sir Alex Fergus on
ACTIVITY 3 Individual work.
Place the photos that Joe took in each country..
> There is a famous person, a tourist attraction, a monument and a curiosity.
D ENGLAN on ity: Lond C l a it p a C
rd Royal Gua
Danie l (Harr Radcliff y Pot ter) Stonehenge
AND SCOTL urgh : Edinb y it C l Capita
ss Loch Ne Bagpip
rguson Sir Alex Fe
st Ci ty H all
Liam Neeson (Jedi Knight)
Giantâ€™s C auseway
nd rn Irela e h t r o N ast ity: Belf Capital C Leprechaun
Chris tian Ba (Bat man le )
Centre Wales Millennium
Wales rdiff Capital City: Ca
b pit lic o al Cit f Ire y: Du land blin
e Mount Rushmor
The Wh ite Hou se
ca Ameri f o s .C. State gton, D in United h s a City: W Capital
Hugh Jackman (Wolverine) Great Barrier Reef
ia tral berra s u A an ty: C i C l ita
se Sidney Opera Hou
Nation Kruger Nelson Mandela
Castle o f Good H ope
Sou Capit th Afric al Cit a y: Pr etori a
ACTIVITY 4 >
Help me filling in the report and send it to Chief Inspector.
1) What’s the capital city of England? Pretoria Washington, D.C. London
7) When I see a shamrock, I think of... Ireland Australia South Africa
2) The UK is formed by how many countries? 2 3 4
8) What’s the name of the creature in the welsh flag? Turtle Dragon Horse
3) The countries in the UK are... USA and England Australia and South Africa England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland
9) The kangaroo is a typical animal from... England Northern Ireland Australia
4) What’s the capital city of the USA? Belfast Washington, D.C. Cardiff
10) Where was FIFA’s World Cup in 2010? South Africa Republic of Ireland Wales
5) What are the colours in the scottish flag? Green, white and red Yellow, black and red White and blue
11) How many english speaking countries have we visited in our mission? 5 6 8
6) What’s the name of the famous lake in Scotland that is said to host a monster? Loch Ness Lake Water Lake Hulk
ACTIVITY 5 >
At home, with your parents, try to find another english speaking country. Bring to class images of the flag, the capital city, a famous person, a monument, a tourist attraction and a curiosity.
Ask your teacher to send it to me...
Thank you for your help! Iâ€™ll be back for more adventures!
A micro manual conceived by three students from ESE in Porto, together with some other materials and resources, thinking about the diversity...