Need Assistance? Contact Us! Counseling, Leadership and Special Education Counseling Graduate Program A. Leslie Anderson, Ph.D., Program Coordinator ALAnderson@MissouriState.edu (417) 836-6519 Lisa Monkres, Counseling Admissions LMonkres@MissouriState.edu (417) 836-4206
Why Earn Your M.S. in Counseling From MSU? • Missouri State is accredited by CACREP (Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs). • Enjoy small classes sizes allowing for individualized attention, from your instructors, and for networking with peers.
Deanna Smith, MSU Outreach Coordinator West Plains & Mountain Grove Gohn Hall #101 603 W. Main, West Plains, MO 65775 (417) 255-7777 DeannaSmith@MissouriState.edu
Visit us online at: www.MissouriState.edu/MSCounselingWP
• Apply for this program with any undergraduate degree. Seven bachelor’s degrees are offered in West Plains with eleven bachelor’s degrees online. • Learn from core faculty who are dedicated counselor educators. Faculty bring their practice experience as counselors into the classroom. • Pay competitive, per credit hour tuition. • Benefit from flexible scheduling program offerings: evening, online and/or via interactive video (ITV) technology. • Gain real world experience completing your practicum at the new clinic on the West Plains campus, with on-site supervision from faculty. • Receive program advisement from core faculty and continual support from staff on the West Plains campus. • Apply for scholarships and financial aid available at MSU specifically for graduate students.
Missouri State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/ Minority/Female/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity Employer and Institution.
Full Master of Science in Counseling Program Cohort Now Available in West Plains! Concentration in elementary and secondary school counseling New cohort forming Spring 2017 Clinic to open in 2018
Why attend a CACREP accredited institution?
Tentative West Plains Course Rotation
• Be assured that the content and quality of the program has been evaluated and meets the standards set by the profession.
Below is an example course rotation schedule. Course availability and prerequisites are subject to change. Check out the course rotations and consult an advisor before scheduling your classes.
• Ensure prospective employers that you have received a degree that has met stringent quality requirements as set forth by CACREP.
• Become a licensed professional counselor (LPC), if eligible, with additional coursework and a national exam. • Pursue becoming a National Certified Counselor (NCC), and have your post-master’s experience and supervision requirements waived upon completion of our CACREP accredited tracks.
Test and Measurements for Counselors School Counseling Foundations and Ethics
Online WP or ITV
Human Development and Personality Orientation to Personal and Professional Development
ITV, Blended WP
710 / 711 751 or 708
The Helping Relationship and Lab Theories and Techniques of Counseling Child Counseling Theories and Techniques
Diversity and Multicultural Issues in Counseling Elementary or Secondary School Counseling Practicum
Blended, WP WP
794 724 or 753
Introduction to Research in Counseling Appraisal & Clinical Interviewing (SEC) Analysis of Childhood Learning & Adjustment (ELE)
781 / 783 752
Elementary or Secondary School Internship Career Development
WP Blended, WP
Elementary or Secondary School Internship Group Counseling (SEC) Elementary Group Counseling Through Play (ELE)
Research Seminar in Counseling Couple and Family Counseling
Spring 2017 COU COU
Summer 2017 COU COU
What you can do with this degree
• Receive a solid foundation for a rewarding career as a school counselor with some coursework in play therapy.
Next cohort to begin Spring 2017. Deadline for applying to the program is: October 1, 2016.
COU 714 COU 780 / 782
Applicants will be required to attend group interviews on the Springfield campus during October.
To apply to the graduate college: • Apply online at: graduate.missouristate.edu/application
Summer 2018 COU COU
• Must meet all admission requirements at: graduate.missouristate.edu/requirements.htm
To apply for admission to the MSU counseling program:
• Prepare application materials as indicated online: www.MissouriState.edu/edadmission • Mail materials to:
Missouri State University Counseling Programs Admissions Coordinator
Counseling, Leadership and Special Education Department
901 S. National Ave, Springfield, MO 65897
COU COU COU COU
781 / 783 756 or 757
Summer 2019 COU COU
Additional coursework will be required for DESE certification for those not holding an undergraduate degree in elementary or secondary education.