SundaY 18 •06•2017
THE MORUNG EXPRESS
7 sailors missing after US Navy destroyer collides with container ship in Japan
YOKOSuKA, JuNE 17 (REutERS): U.S. Navy destroyer USS Fitzgerald sailed back to its base in Yokosuka, with seven of its sailors still missing after it collided with a Philippine-flagged container ship more than three times its size in eastern Japan early on Saturday. The Fitzgerald, an Aegis guided missile destroyer, collided with the merchant vessel at about 2:30 a.m. local time (1730 GMT), some 56 nautical miles southwest of Yokosuka, the Navy said. Three aboard the destroyer had been medically evacuated to the U.S. Naval Hospital in Yokosuka, including the ship’s commanding officer, Cmdr. Bryce Benson, who was reported to be in stable condition, the Navy said. The other two were being treated for lacerations and bruises, while other injured were being assessed aboard the ship, it said. Search and rescue efforts by U.S. and Japanese aircraft and surface vessels were continuing for the seven missing sailors, the Navy said. Their names are being withheld until the families have been notified, it said. Benson took command of the Fitzgerald on May 13. He had previously commanded a minesweeper based in Sasebo in western Japan.
5:00 p.m. (0800 GMT), sailing under its own power, the Coast Guard said.
BUSY WATERWAYS The waterways approaching Tokyo Bay are busy with commercial vessels sailing to and from Japan’s two biggest container ports in Tokyo and Yokohama. International maritime rules for collision avoidance do not define right of way for any one vessel, but provide common standards for signaling between ships, as well as regulations on posting lookouts. Japan’s public broadcaster NHK showed aerial footage of the Fitzgerald, which The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Fitzgerald, damaged by colhad a large dent on its right, liding with a Philippine-flagged merchant vessel, is seen off Shimoda, Japan in this or starboard, side. Images photo taken by Kyodo June 17. (Mandatory credit Kyodo/via REUTERS) broadcast by NHK showed UNCLEAR WHAT HAPPENED the search for the missing, Japan’s Nippon Yusen it had been struck next to its It was unclear how the it said. KK, which charters the Aegis radar arrays behind the collision happened. “Once Back in Yokosuka, div- container ship, ASX Crys- vertical launch tubes. an investigation is com- ers will inspect the damage tal, said in a statement it plete then any legal issues and develop a plan for re- would “cooperate fully” Such incidents are rare. In May, the U.S. Navy’s can be addressed,” the 7th pairs, the Navy said. with the Coast Guard’s inFleet spokesman said. The ship was able to op- vestigation of the incident. USS Lake Champlain colThe Fitzgerald suffered erate under its own power At around 29,000 tons dis- lided with a South Korean damage on her starboard with limited propulsion, placement, the ship dwarfs fishing vessel but both side above and below the the Navy said. The Japanese the 8,315-ton U.S. warship, ships were able to operate waterline, causing “signifi- Coast Guard said separate- and was carrying 1,080 under their own power. The 7th Fleet comcant damage” and flood- ly the Fitzgerald was towed containers from the port of mander, Vice Admiral Joing to two berthing spaces back to Yokosuka by a tug- Nagoya to Tokyo. and other areas of the ship, boat at about 3 knots. None of the 20 crew seph Aucoin, thanked the the Navy said. The flooding Part of an eight-ship members aboard the con- Japanese Coast guard in a was later stabilised, but it squadron based in Yoko- tainer ship, all Filipino, post on the fleet’s Facebook was uncertain how long it suka, the Fitzgerald had in were injured, and the ship page, adding: “We are comwould take to gain access February completed $21 was not leaking oil, Nippon mitted to ensuring the safe to those spaces once the million worth of upgrades Yusen said. The ship ar- return of the ship to port in ship is docked, to continue and repairs. rived at Tokyo Bay around Yokosuka.”
Uncertainty over Baghdadi fate after Russian airstrike
BEIRut, JuNE 17 (AP): Uncertainty and confusion surrounded the fate of the head of the Islamic State group Friday as Russia announced it may have killed him in an airstrike targeting a meeting of IS leaders just outside the group’s self-declared capital in Syria, but U.S. officials said there was no definitive proof of his death. The demise of Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi would be a severe blow to the extremist group as it fights to hang on to its strongholds in Syria and Iraq, although it was not clear how much operational control he retains over the organization whose capabilities keep evolving on the battlefield and beyond. Apart from Moscow’s claim that he may have
been killed in the May 28 airstrike along with more than 300 militants, there was not much else to back it up. The Russian Defense Ministry said the information about his death was still “being verified through various channels.” Asked about that claim at a Moscow news conference, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said: “I don’t have a 100 percent confirmation of the information.” A spokesman for the U.S.-led coalition fighting the Islamic State said he would welcome such news but urged caution. “There have been several past claims of this kind that have been proven false, and we have seen no definitive proof that this report is true either,”
Cambridge Univ refuses to return Aboriginal artifacts to Australia
SYDNEY, JuNE 17 (REutERS): The University of Cambridge has refused a request by an Australian man to return important Aboriginal artifacts taken by British explorer Captain James Cook nearly 250 years ago. Rodney Kelly is seeking the return of four spears from the university’s Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology on behalf of the Gweagal people, who traditionally inhabited southern parts of Sydney, Australia’s largest city. According the to the university, Cook took the spears following a violent first encounter between Aborigines and Europeans on the shores of Botany Bay in Sydney in 1770. He also took a shield, which is currently held by the British Museum and for which Kelly has also sought repatriation. The artifacts are recognised as a significant symbol of first contact between the British and indigenous Australians and of Aboriginal resistance to colonisation. However, the University of Cambridge has rejected a request for their return lodged by Kelly. “Removing parts of the Cook-Sandwich collection, which is of great historical, scientific and educational importance nationally and internationally, would cause considerable harm by depriving the collection of its integrity,” a spokeswoman said in a statement to Reuters on Saturday. The university said the request contained no clear proposal for housing and conserving the spears if they were to be returned, and added it was important that any request for change be made with “accredited representatives of the Gweagal people”. Kelly, who submitted a formal request for the repatriation of the spears in November last year, claims to be a direct descendant of the Gweagal warrior Cooman, from whom he claims the spears and shield were taken. However, a report prepared by the University of Cambridge has questioned Kelly’s ability to prove his descent - something disputed by the Sydney man. “It makes me angry they are trying these tactics to discredit me and my history,” Kelly told Reuters in an interview. Cook’s landing in Botany Bay on April 29, 1770 marked the first point of contact between the British and Aborigines and preceded the arrival of the first waves of colonists to Australia eight years later. Two Aboriginal men holding spears tried to resist Cook’s party landing and one was injured by British musket fire, the university says. The Gweagal then retreated and Cook and his crew entered their camp and took the spears and a shield. According to Kelly, Cooman was the injured man in the historical account, a claim the university says is not well-supported.
U.S. Army Col. Ryan Dillon said. Capt. Jeff Davis, a Pentagon spokesman, also said there was no information to corroborate the report. Al-Baghdadi, believed to be in his mid-40s, last released an audio message Nov. 3, urging his followers to keep up the fight for Mosul as they defended the Iraqi city against a major offensive that had begun weeks earlier. The latest report of his death comes amid major setbacks for IS, having lost significant territory on both sides of its so-called caliphate in Syria and Iraq. The group is fighting for survival in a few remaining neighborhoods in western Mosul and is now under attack in Raqqa, its selfstyled capital.
May meets London blaze victims amid rising anger
LONDON, JuNE 17 (IANS): A day after protesters chastised her near the scene of the deadly Grenfell Tower disaster, British Prime Minister Theresa May on Saturday met the victims and residents of the tower at 10 Downing Street. “The Prime Minister is this morning chairing a cross-government meeting to ensure everything possible is being done to support those affected by the Grenfell tragedy,” a Downing Street spokesperson said. May’s meeting on Saturday with victims, residents, volunteers and community leaders came as Queen Elizabeth II marked her official birthday with a statement saying it was “difficult to escape a very sombre national mood.” The Prime Minister
has promised a full public inquiry and announced a fund of 5 million pounds ($6.4 million) to help those affected by the blaze.
58 missing, presumed dead in London inferno: Police
At least 58 people are now missing and presumed dead in the Grenfell Tower disaster, police said on Saturday. The latest figure included the 30 already confirmed to have died in the devastating fire in a west London tower block on Wednesday, BBC reported. Commander Stuart Cundy said that number “may increase” and that a “significant” recovery operation is likely to take weeks. “As soon as we can, we will locate and recover loved ones,” he added.
GOVERNMENT OF NAGALAND
DIRECTORATE OF EMPLOYMENT, SKILL DEVELOPMENT & ENTREPRENEURSHIP NAGALAND: KOHIMA
Dated Kohima, the 17th June’ 2017
ADVERTISEMENT The Department of Employment, Skill Development & Entrepreneurship announces a walk-in interview for engagement of Aspiration Mapping Officer’s to conduct the Aspiration Mapping Survey for a period of 30 days from the date of engagement. Sl. Name of the Name of the Post No District
Aspiration Mapping Officer's (AMOs)
Name of Blocks
Sechü-Zubza Kohima Botsa Kohima Chiephobozou Chunlikha Tseminyu Jakhama Dhansiripar Medziphema Chumukedima Dimapur Kuhuboto Niuland Aghunaqa Changpang Bhandari Sanis Wokha Ralan Wozhuro Chukitong Wokha Meluri Weziho Pfutsero Chizami Phek Phek Sekruzou Kikruma Chetheba Akuhaito Akuluto Satoi Satakha Zunheboto Tokiye Ghathashi Suruhoto Zunheboto Chare Chessore Longkhim Noksen Tuensang Noklak Panso Sangsangyu Shamator Thonoknyu Chuchuyimlang Changtongya Tuli Mangkolemba Mokokchung Tsurangkong Kubolong Longchem Ongpangkong(N) Ongpangkong(S) Chen Aboi Angjangyang Tobu Mon Mon Phomching Tizit Wakching Jalukie Athibung Peren Peren Tenning Sakshi Longleng Longleng Tamlu Kiphire Longmatra Pungro Kiphiri Sitimi Khongsa
No. of Venue for interview Post 1 1 1 Regional Employ2 ment Exchange, Kohima 1 2 1 2 2 2 District Employment Exchange, Dimapur 2 1 2 2 2 2 District Employment 1 Exchange, Wokha 2 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
Date of interview
District Employment Exchange, Phek
District Employment Exchange, Zunheboto
District Employment Exchange, Tuensang
District Employment Exchange, Mokokchung
District Employment Exchange, Mon
Rural Employment Bureau, Peren
1 1 1 1 1 1 2 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 1 2 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 1 1 1 1 2 2 1 2 2 2 2 1 2 2 2 1 2 1 2 2 2
Deputy Commissioner Office, 30-06-2017 Longleng Rural Employment, Bureau, Kiphiri
Terms and Conditions: A. Honorarium: Rs.15,000 /-.(@ Rs. 500/- per day). B. Engagement is purely for the Survey period (30 days). C. Eligibility Criteria: 1. He / She should be a resident of the concerned block. 2. He/ She should be a graduate with Computer Knowledge. 3. He / She should have a valid Employment Exchange Registration Card / Indigenous Certificate. 4. He / She should have a thorough knowledge of the village / RD Blocks in the district. 5. He / She should have the willingness to travel to all assigned villages under each block for Data collection. NOTE: D. Applicants are to walk in for interview to the respective District Employment Exchanges / Rural Employment Bureau Kiphiri / Peren and office of the Deputy Commissioner, Longleng (for Longleng Candidates) along with the original documents. E. Interested Candidates can come for interview as per the interview schedule given above from 10.00 AM onwards. (MUTHINGNYUBASANGTAM) Director, Employment, Skill Development & Entrepreneurship Nagaland, Kohima.
Issued by: DIPR
The Morung Express Dimapur, Nagaland, India