Did You Know That The Montana Grizzlies... • Have advanced to the NCAA Tournament 10 times?
Grizzly Basketball Quick Facts: Head Coach Wayne Tinkle
•Have been in the NCAA Tournament three of the last four years?
• Head Coach Tinkle has been named the league’s Coach of the Year the past two seasons – the first Montana coach to ever be sohonored? (He was also a finalist for the Hugh Durham Award, presented annually to the mid-major coach of the year).
• Have had back-to-back 25-win teams in 2011-12 and 2012-13, going 25-7 overall both seasons? • Montana finished ranked 14th in the CollegeInsider.com Mid-Major Top 25 in 2012-13?
• Coach Tinkle is ranked first in school history with 85 Big Sky victories?
Forward Mathias Ward
• Coach Tinkle is one of 14 Division 1 head coaches who scored 1,500 points in their college careers? Forward Art Steward
• Senior guard Will Cherry was named the Big Sky’s Defensive Player of the Year as a junior and senior, and was a three-time first team all-league selection?
• Have won a UM-record 93 games in the past four seasons? • Have had 42 players play professional basketball since the 1974-75 season?
• Cherry had a school-record 265 career steals, ranking him second in Big Sky history?
• Jamar became the third player in Big Sky history to be named the league tournament’s MVP two consecutive years ( 2011-12 and 2012-13)?
• Cherry was named to Lou Henson’s 25-player, Mid-Major All-American team and to Lefty Driesel’s Defensive AllAmerica team following the 2012-13 season?
• Were ranked (345 teams ranked) fifth in the nation in free throw percentage at a school-record 76.7% (499-of651) last season?
• The Griz had three All-Big Sky selections in 2012-13 – Cherry, Kareem Jamar, and Mathias Ward, while Jordan Gregory was an honorable mention all-conference pick?
• Were 35th in Division 1 a year ago in field goal percentage 46.5% (760-of-1635) in 2012-13, and 45th in threepoint percentage at 37.2% (219-of-589)?
• That Cherry, Jamar, and Ward were all named to the NABC’s All-District 6 team – the first time in Big Sky history three players from one team received that recognition?
• Have qualified for the Big Sky Conference’s post-season tournament 33 times?
• Have had players named Academic All-American 10 times since the 1980 season, and the Big Sky has had 22 total players receive that honor since that time? Sr. Guard/Forward Kareem Jamar
• Have three of the top eight shot blockers in league history in all-time leaders in Brian Qvale (first, 247), Daren Engellant (second, 212), and Larry McBride (fifth, 162)?