Monday 30 July 2012
espn.co.uk Bayern Munich chief executive officer, Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, has refused to rule out a move for Bayer Leverkusen midfielder Lars Bender. Bayern boss Jupp Heynckes had hinted at an interest in Bender, 23, during a recent press conference, leading Leverkusen general manager, Wolfgang Holzhauser, to say: “I don’t want any bother with Bayern, but I am annoyed and very bemused that Jupp Heynckes has indirectly brought the Bender issue up in public.” Despite the remark - which followed an apparent agreement between the clubs that the issue would not be made public - Rummenigge has again suggested Bender could be a target as Bayern seek a new defensive
midfielder. “I recommend that Leverkusen take things in a more relaxed and more confident manner than right now,” he said in Bild. “Everyone knows that we are watching the transfer market for players in that position and our sports directors have some players on their list who they are watching.
Bayern again discuss Bender bid
Issue No .4
Al-Ahly Approaches the semi-finals, defeating Zamalek
Daily News Egypt Once again, the clash of the two football giants, Al-Ahly and Zamalek, has ended in favor of Al-Ahly; through a decisive header by Abu Treka. Al-Ahly defeated their archrivals Zamalek 1-0 in the second round of the 2012 African Champions’ League group stage matches; it is the first time the two teams have met since the Port Said massacre, earlier this year. The win is a major boost for the Red Devils’ chances of reaching the semi-finals, as they now have two wins from two, while for Zamalek; it was a second straight defeat that leaves their hopes
hanging by a thread. The decisive moment of the match came in the 79th minute, when veteran Ahly midfielder Mohamed Abu Treka ghosted his way in between two defenders to get on the end
of a delightful chipped cross from Mohamed Nagi. Al-Ahly now leads Group A with six points, followed by Chelsea (four points), TP Mazembe (one) and Zamalek (zero).
Fabio Capello : England would have done better with me at Euros BBC Sport says the team would have gone further at Euro 2012 had he still been in charge. Capello, whose England team lost in the second round at the 2010 World Cup, resigned in February after the FA removed John Terry as captain. Roy Hodgson’s England reached the Euro 2012 quarter-finals and Capello, now coach of Russia, said: “If I were with your guys it would’ve been even better. “I’d worked there for four years and after what happened I wanted to stop.” Terry lost the England captaincy while awaiting trial on allegations he racially abused QPR defender Anton Ferdinand, which he was cleared of earlier this month. “We had qualified for the finals and it was only the John Terry story that meant I couldn’t go to the finals,” said 66-year-old
Capello, who presided over 42 matches as England boss, winning 28, losing six and drawing eight. “On that issue with the English (FA), with my contract, it was put down on paper that the decision as to who would be captain should be made only by the coach. It was down on paper, in the contract, in black and white. “Every national coach works for two years towards a goal - that is the ambition of every coach - but I was not given the opportunity to fight for the Euros with England. “When you are told this is the goal... if you are always interfered with, you don’t feel well. You feel ill at ease. I wanted to be the main guy with the national team again and to take a team to Brazil. I wanted that again.”
UAE Football Association feels Maradona needed more time
The firing of Diego Maradona, as coach of Al Wasl, will be a loss for professional football in the United Arab Emirates, the head of the country’s Football Association said on Wednesday, after the former Argentina great helped put the league on the global map. Yousuf al-Sarkal, the president of the UAE Football Association, told the Associated Press he was “disappointed” to hear that
Al Wasl had fired Maradona and said he should have been given more time to turn around the Dubai club. He said that the club’s failure to win any trophies and its eighth-place finish in the 12-team league cannot be solely blamed on Maradona, adding it was a “collective work involving the coach, players and management.” Maradona was fired, after one season in charge, having signed a two-year deal in
May 2011. The club’s board of directors resigned in June following the poor season. The new board initially backed Maradona but on Tuesday announced that he and his technical staff had been relieved of their duties. It gave no reason and made no mention of a replacement. There is speculation that Maradona is returning to Buenos Aires, possibly to take up the post as trainer to Boca Juniors.
Real Madrid are open to selling the naming rights for the iconic arena which was named after their former striker and president Real Madrid are reportedly considering the rebranding of their Santiago Bernabeu stadium as part of a sponsorship agreement with Emirates. According to ABC, Los Blancos will not entertain the idea of removing the name of their legendary club president from the stadium. However, they are not against it being preceded by a corporate sponsor. Consequently, Emirates, who recently agreed a five-year shirt sponsorship deal with Madrid, are now offering to hand over
an additional €53 million per season to change the name of one of the most famous grounds in world football to ‘Fly-EmiratesBernabeu’. As things already stand, the Dubaibased airline, who are currently in possession of the naming rights for Arsenal’s stadium, will have their company logo displayed on the capital club’s shirts from 2013 onwards. The Santiago Bernabeu was opened in 1947 and, following expansion in 2011, now has a capacity of 85,454.
Nabil Elalem was freed
president of Libya’s Olympic Committee, Nabil Elalem, was freed on Sunday a week after he was taken from his car by gunmen in Tripoli, and is now in his home, his deputy said. Nabil El-Aalem was with a colleague last Sunday when two cars carrying armed men in military-style clothing blocked the road, colleagues said. The men told him he had to go with them and sped away, leaving his colleague behind. There had been no news about his whereabouts since. “He was released at 6.30 (0030 EDT) this morning. He is now at his home,” Noureddin El-Krekshi, deputy chief of the committee, told Reuters, without giving details. “He is fine.” Since the end of the uprising that toppled Muammar Gaddafi last year, the interim government has struggled to impose its authority on numerous armed groups who refuse to lay down their weapons and often take the law into their own hands. El-Aalem’s family and colleagues had demonstrated outside the prime minister’s office on Thursday urging the government to do more to find him. El-Aalem, a former Libyan judo champion, took charge of the Olympic body after its president Mohammed Gaddafi, one of the deposed dictator’s sons, fled to Algeria last August. Libya’s representatives to the London Olympic Games left for the British capital on Saturday ahead of the July 27 opening. The small delegation is set to compete in judo, swimming, athletics and weight-lifting.