Miriam Lillo and Martina Reguera; 4th eso.
1. You’ve got the technical details of the film in Valencià. Translate it into English, so you can learn/revise the basic vocabulary related to audiovisual productions. TECHNICAL DETAILS
Duration: 119 min.
Nationality: United Kingdom and EEUU
Year: 1998 (Colour)
Direction: Stephen Frears
Production: Warner Bros
Producer: Norma Heyman and Hank Moonjean
Script: Christopher Hampton (Based on the work of Choderlos de Laclos
Photography: P. Rousselot
Mounting: Mick Audsley
Music: George Fenton Art direction: Stuar Craig and Gerard James
Wardrobe: James Acheson
2. Write about 3 of the main characters. Include their physical and personality description. Viscount of Valmont: The Viscount is a rich man, he with dark eyes, and his hair is black and long. His personality is of capricious character, he likes giving orders and he is a bit machist. Madame de Merteuil: She isn't high. She has lovers and all what she does is for her benefit, she knows how to fool the people. Madame de Tourvel: She is young, beautiful, blue eyes, normal stature, shy and quiet and a unsociable. She is women that is married and a good person. She fall in love with the Viscount.
3. Write a description of the most representative locations of the age, like the lounges (living room), the bedrooms or the gardens. Living room: They are also big, with many luxuries and with classic furniture. Gardens: The gardens in this film are based in the classic gardens, they are big and with many flowers and green in it. Bedrooms: Also with classic furniture and with colors like gold, not very showy.
4. Do you think they are genuine people? What do Mme de Merteuil and the Viscount of Valmont use to dress up in front of the people? Which physical or material elements do they use to build their social identity?
They were genuine people because they lie and they treated the people depending the benefits they could give them. They used elegant dresses because they were of the high society.
5. In the film you can find people who aren’t what they are supposed to be. The society of that age was based on rules, conventions and traditions which stopped people from being what they really were. What are the objectives that each character wants to meet? What means do they use to use to get those objectives? Are they really happy? Viscount of Valmont: His objectives were obtaining exploits every time majors which were flirting with the women’s. Madame de Merteuil: She knows how to fool the people. She has lovers and all what she does is for her benefit.
Madame de Tourvel: Her objective was obtaining the viscount because she was in love with him. They weren’t happy because they couldn’t be and do what they really want.
6. Quina dona de les que hi apareix a la pel-lícula et sembla més moderna, més atrevida, més d’acord a l’esperit del Segle de les Llums reflectit a l’expresió Sapere aude? Mme de Merteuli, Mme de Tourvel, Cécile de Volanges, sa mare…? Justifica la teua resposta. La més moderna era Mme de Merteuli , ja que era la més lliberal i la que guiava a les altres xiques, enganyava a qui volia. 7. Diríeu que Mme de Trouvel és una persona “major d’edat” d’acord a l’ètica de Kant? Hi ha algún canvi en aquesta situación al llarg de la pel-lícula? Justifica la teua resposta utilitzant els teus coneiximents. Segon Kant una persona es major d’edat quan comença a pendre les seues decisions per si mateixa, Mme de Trouvel no es major d’edat fins al final de la película quan deixa de fer tot el que li mana sa mare. 8. La pel-lícula és una crítica a la moral i els costums de l’aristocràcia durant el segle XVIII. Elabora tú aquesta crítica. Un element molt important tés l’escena final de Mme de Merteuli, el desenllaç de Valmont, etc. Aquesta pel-lícula demostra que l’aristocracia en aquella época no tenia escrúpuls per a aconseguir els seus objectius, i que si tenia que destruir la moralitat i els principis de una persona o feien per al seu propi benefici. També
demostra que per el damunt de tot estaba lâ€™honor que era imprescindible per a aquella ĂŠpoca i sâ€™interposava moltes voltes entre la voluntad de les persones.