Issuu on Google+


the Gerald Yagen at the controls of

Fokker DR-1

Welcome to our visitors and participants of the Biplanes and Triplanes World War One Air Show and Fly-In. With the Centennial Celebration of The Great War just around the corner in two years, this weekend gives us all an opportunity to experience a time when the United States was united with its allies for a common cause. Not long after the Wright Brothers flew the first airplane over the sand dunes of nearby Kitty Hawk, North Carolina, young men were lifting over the trenches of Europe in primitive wood and fabric aeroplanes with the dawn of aerial combat. Our thanks go out to the many re-enactors, musicians, supporters, volunteers, and everyone else who helped to make this weekend a success. We hope you have as much enjoyment experiencing our air show as we have had preparing it. 1

On the


This year’s poster art, entitled Close Quarters, was painted by North Carolina artist Russell Smith. The piece depicts a battle that occurred on September 26, 1918. SPADs from the 95th and 27th Aero Squadrons, Fokker DVIIs of Jasta 13 and a Salmson 2A2 met in battle during the start of the Meuse-Argonne Offensive. The fight resulted in the death of Lt. Ivan Roberts of 27Sq, pictured in the foreground. Roberts’ death is credited to Lt. Franz Buchner of Jasta 13, who shot Roberts at nearly point blank range. Lt. Gravatt of 95Sq is in the top of the three-plane grouping. He nearly collided with Buchner during the assault. Lt. Frank Luke, Jr. was also involved in the fight and can be seen in the lower left diving off into the distance. This is the third year Russell’s artwork has served as the face for our World War One air show. Copies of Close Quarters can be purchased in the museum gift shop, and Russell will be available to autograph them throughout the weekend. Simply ask the gift shop employees to direct you to his booth. See more of his art at:

SCHEDULE OF EVENTS Friday, September 21, 2012  Re-enactors set up their living history encampments and visiting warplanes arrive  Visit the Fighter Factory where we maintain and restore these magnificent airplanes.  Hot Air Balloons - Evening Flight

Saturday, September 22, 2012  9:00am  9:00am  10:00am  1:00pm  3:00pm  4:30pm  6:00pm  9:00pm

Gates Open for All Double Decker Bus departs Cavalier Hotel Live Musical Entertainment Commences Aircraft Flight Operations Begin Airplanes Land for End of Flying Steak Dinner (advance ticket required) Roaring 20’s Dance with Big Band Taps - Conclusion of dance. Bus returns to Cavalier Hotel

Sunday, September 23, 2012  9:00am

Gates Open for All

 9:00am

Double Decker Bus departs Cavalier Hotel

 10:00am Continuous Live Entertainment Begins  1:00pm

Aircraft Flight Operations Begin

 3:00pm

Aircraft complete flight operations

 5:00pm

Completion of weekend events.

Time and events are always subject to change due to weather and mechanical conditions and advance printing of this program.


Blériot XI (1909) The Blériot XI was a light monoplane originally constructed of oak and poplar with cloth-covered flying surfaces. It was built by the French company Morane-Saulnier and made its debut at the Paris Air Show in December 1908. The plane made history in July 1909 when it crossed the English Channel from Calais to Dover in just over 35 minutes. The Blériot was first used by French and Italian forces in 1910, and early in The Great War, French, Italian and British squadrons flew various versions of the aircraft. The Military Aviation Museum’s Blériot XI was acquired in 2008 from a collector in Spain, where it was built as new construction by a team of aviation enthusiasts.

Blériot XI Specifications Manufacturer: Morane-Saulnier Role: Trainer, Bomber Wing Span: 25 feet, 7 inches Height: 8 feet, 10 inches Length: 25 feet Engine: 25 hp Anzani 3-Cylinder Maximum Speed: 47 mph Armament: Light Bombs Years of Operation: 1909-1911 Primary Users: French, Italian and British Forces


Wright Brothers EX Flyer, “Vin Fiz” (1911) In 1911, Cal Rogers took a short flying lesson from Orville Wright and was the first private citizen to buy a Wright airplane, the Model EX. That September, he flew the first transcontinental flight from New York to Pasadena attempting to win a $50,000 prize offered by publisher William Randolph Hearst to the first aviator to fly coast to coast. After Rogers completed the cross-country flight, Hearst called the Wright EX biplane “Vin Fiz” after the popular grape soda of the time. The Military Aviation Museum’s Wright Brothers’ aircraft is a single seat replica of Cal Rogers’ 1911 Vin Fiz. This same model was on display at the 2003 Centennial Celebration of the Wright Brothers 100th anniversary of flight in Kitty Hawk, North Carolina.

Wright Brothers EX Specifications Manufacturer: Wright Company Wing Span: 31 feet, 6 inches Height: 7 feet, 4 inches Length: 21 feet, 5 inches Engine: 35 hpWright Aero 4-Cylinder Maximum Speed: 51 mph

Ely-Curtiss Pusher (1911) The Curtiss Manufacturing Company built its first airplane in 1909 for the Aeronautical Society of New York. It was a pusher design with front elevators. The Curtiss Pusher was the first aircraft to take off from a US Naval ship in Hampton Roads, Virginia when Eugene Ely flew from the USS Birmingham on November 14, 1910. After that, the Curtiss Company sold two airplanes to the Navy. In 1911, the D-III model was introduced featuring a second set of elevators in the rear. The museum’s example of a Curtiss Pusher is the only flying replica of a 1911 Pusher. It was built in New Market, Virginia and was acquired by the Military Aviation Museum in 2012.

Ely-Curtiss Pusher Specifications Manufacturer: Wing Span: Length: Engine: Maximum Speed:

Curtiss Aeroplane Company 38 feet, 3 inches 29 feet, 3 inches Curtiss E-4, 40 hp 50 mph


AVRO 504K (1913) The AVRO 504 was built before the start of World War One by the British company, A.V. Roe and Company. The aircraft was originally designed in 1912 and introduced to the public during the second Aerial Derby in September 1913. It was instantly identifiable by the skid between its wheels, which was designed to prevent the aircraft from tipping forward and destroying its propeller, if it landed with its tail too high. Early 504s had a clocked speed of 80.9 mph, and the aircraft set a British altitude record of 15,000 feet in February 1914. During the war, the aircraft was flown by the British. Following the war, it remained in service as a trainer for the British and other military forces, and many were sold for civilian use. The Military Aviation Museum has two AVRO 504Ks on display. Both were built by Pur Sang of Argentina. One of the AVRO 504Ks is for static display only and is hung in the Army Air Corps hangar. The second is fully airworthy with a new Rotec radial engine built in Australia.

Avro 504 Specifications Manufacturer: Role: Wing Span: Height: Length: Engine: Maximum Speed: Armament: Primary users:

av roe & company, ltd. trainer, fighter, bomber 36 feet 10 feet, 5 inches 29 feet, 5 inches 80 hp gnome or LeRh么ne 90 mph One machine gun, 80 lb bombs British Forces


1934 Cottbus Hangar The newest building to open at the Military Aviation Museum is the Cottbus Hangar, built in Cottbus, Germany in 1934.

Eindekker monoplanes and Fokker D.VII biplanes, and by the end of the war, he had shot down 31 Allied aircraft. After the war, Sachsenberg and his Navy friend, Eberhard Cranz, formed OLA to help former military personnel make the transition to civilian life. Sachsenberg wrote several position papers on the expansion of the Luftwaffe and was imprisioned in a concentration camp for several weeks in 1934. He lost control and ownership of OLA, as he refused to change to wartime production. In 1934, under new ownership, OLA proposed the construction of a group of hangars at the Cottbus Airfield.

This original German Luftwaffe hangar was purchased from the former Cottbus Army Airfield in Cottbus, Germany, just southeast of Berlin. The 10,000 square foot steel structure was constructed in 1934. In 2007, the hangar was dismantled and shipped to Virginia Beach, where it underwent a restoration process and was eventually raised next to the Fighter Factory maintenance building. This hangar was originally built by Ostdeutsche Landwirdsch Aften (OLA), a company founded by former World War One pilot Gotthard Sachsenberg. During World War One, Sachsenberg flew Fokker

Even though it is not from the World War One period, we encourage visitors to tour this newly erected structure and see our collection of Luftwaffe aircraft.


Sopwith Pup (1916) The Sopwith Pup, officially named the Sopwith Scout, was a single-seat British fighter. It picked up its nickname “Pup” because it looked like a smaller version of the Sopwith 1½ Strutter. The aircraft was introduced in 1916 as the Fokker Scourge was beginning, and it played a major role in the Allies’ success against the Germans. The Pup’s easy flying characteristics and good maneuverability made it perfect for aircraft carrier deck landing and takeoff testing. It was the first aircraft to successfully land on a moving ship on August 2, 1917. The Military Aviation Museum owns a ¾-scale reproduction of a Sopwith Pup. It hangs in the entryway to the main building as if in the top of a loop.

Sopwith Pup Specifications

Manufacturer:    Sopwith Aviation Company Role:            Fighter Wing Span: 26 feet, 6 inches Height:         9 feet, 5 inches Length:          19 feet, 3 inches Engine:         80 hp LeRhône or 100 hp Gnome Monosoupape Maximum Speed:   112 mph Armament:       One Machine Gun, Four 25lb Bombs Years of Operation: 1916-1917 Primary Users:      British Forces


the Hucks Starter (1918)

to the center of the plane’s propeller with a claw similar to a toothed ratchet on the Model T hand crank. Even though they saved a lot of energy and proved to be quite efficient and improved safety, they were somewhat cumbersome to use and required at least two people to operate. The vehicles were called Hucks Trucks, and they were built on both car chassis and TT truck chassis on into the 1930s.

As World War One raged on and aircraft quickly evolved, new ground equipment was needed to support the growing air forces. During this early period of aviation, aircraft engines had to be turned by hand to start them, and the larger and more powerful the engine, the more difficult and dangerous this was to do. In 1917, an RAF captain named Bentfield Hucks designed a machine to crank the engines using the power of a Model T Ford. A long, elevated driveshaft was mounted on the chassis and turned by power transferred through a PTO and chain drive system. The driveshaft extended beyond the front of the Model T and connected

The Military Aviation Museum’s Hucks Starter Truck is a 1918 TT Ford chassis. It was built using a period-correct Muncie auxiliary transmission with built-in PTO. 8

Sopwith 1½ Strutter (1916)

Sopwith 1½ Strutter Specifications

The Sopwith 1½ Strutter was the first two-seat British fighter, and the first Manufacturer: Sopwith Aviation Company British aircraft with a synchronized Role: Fighter, Bomber, Observation machine gun. It was originally named Wing Span: 33 feet, 6 inches the Sopwith LCT (Land Clerget Tractor), Height: 10 feet, 3 inches but its unique strut formation led Length: 25 feet, 3 inches to the 1 ½ Strutter name. The upper Engine: 130 hp Clerget 9B wings were attached to the fuselage Maximum Speed: 100 mph Armament: Two Machine Guns, by a pair of short (half ) struts and a Up to 130 lb Bombs second pair of longer struts. When Years of Operation: 1916-1917 seen from the front, the struts formed Primary Users: British and French Forces a “W”. Test flights of the aircraft began in January 1916, and a month later, they were reaching the front. The 1½ Strutter was well-suited for lengthy patrolling missions because of its long range. However, the aircraft’s construction did not hold up to the demands of continuous wartime service, and it was not very effective in a dogfight. The 1½ Strutter was used in the roles of trainer, fighter, bomber, and reconnaissance aircraft. It was also one of the first aircraft used as a carrier-type plane. It was flown from cross-shaped platforms mounted atop a ship’s gun turrets. The platforms were originally designed by the British, and the US Navy began experimenting with the design in 1919. By summer 1919, they were mounted aboard US battleships New York, Texas, Nevada, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Arizona, New Mexico, Mississippi and Idaho. One Sopwith 1½ Strutter and one Nieuport 28 were assigned to each battleship. By 1922, the design of a compressed air catapult made the turret mounted fly-off platform obsolete. The Military Aviation Museum obtained its Sopwith 1½ Strutter in September 2010. This particular aircraft was used in the 2006 movie Flyboys, which tells the story of American pilots flying with the French Lafayette Escadrille in 1916. 9

Nieuport XI (1916) The Nieuport XI model was built in 1916 and used by the British and French forces to combat the German Fokker. It was used on the Western Front through 1916 and in Italy through mid1917. This plane was light, fast, and very maneuverable, and pilots gave it the nickname Bébé (Baby). Despite its speed and maneuverability, it could not carry dual machine guns, making it more challenging when facing a Fokker. Still, the Nieuport IX is credited as one of the aircraft instrumental in ending the Fokker Scourge in 1916. The Military Aviation Museum obtained its Nieuport XI replica aircraft in July 2010, from an enthusiast who handcrafted it in Dayton, Ohio.

Nieuport XI Specifications Manufacturer: Nieuport Role: Fighter Wing Span: 24 feet, 9 inches Height: 7 feet, 10½ inches Length: 19 feet Engine: 80 hp Gnome or LeRhône Maximum Speed: 97 mph Armament: One Machine Gun Years of Operation:1916-1917 Primary Users: French, British, Belgian, Russian & Italian Forces

Nieuport 17 (1916) The Nieuport Company introduced the Nieuport 17 model to improve upon many of the inadequacies of the Model XI. It was originally equipped with a more powerful 110hp Le Rhone 9J engine, and later versions used the 130hp engine. While it was very maneuverable and had an excellent rate of climb, the sesquiplane design of a narrow lower wing (literally “one-and-a-half wings”) was weak and could break apart in sustained dives. By March 1916, the Nieuport 17 was on the Front with both French and British forces and was superior to any British fighter at that time. Its superiority was short lived, and by early 1917, it was outclassed by the German fighters, and new models of the Nieuport and SPAD were equipping Allied forces. The Military Aviation Museum acquired its Nieuport 17 in 2012. It was built in Norfolk by US Navy Commander Robert Garcia and has a Rotec 2800 engine.

Nieuport 17 Specifications Manufacturer: Nieuport Role: Fighter Wing Span: 26 feet, 9 inches Height: 7 feet, 10 inches Length: 19 feet Engine: 110 hp Le Rhone 9Ja Maximum Speed: 110 mph Armament: One Machine Gun Years of Operation: 1916-1917 Primary Users: French, British


Nieuport 23 (1917) The Nieuport 23 biplane was introduced in 1917 to address structural weaknesses in the Nieuport 17. It was powered with a lighter version of the Le Rhône 9J engine, which provided improved power-to-weight ratio. However, other modifications were not as successful, and the Nieuport 23 experienced a high number of accidents caused by shedding its wings mid-flight. There are two Nieuport 23 aircraft on display at Biplanes and Triplanes this year. Both are visiting us for the third year from Ohio. Rick Bennett of Thompson, Ohio, owns N4027B, built in 2002. His Nieuport 23 is painted with the markings of Edmund Thieffry, a Belgian pilot who flew with 5 Escadrille de Chasse, “The Comets”. Thieffry was shot down in February 1918 and spent the remainder of the war in a German POW camp. Phil Arbie of Warren, Ohio, owns the other Nieuport 23. Phil and Rick worked together to build this 7/8 scale in just 18 months, finishing it in the summer of 2010. This Nieuport features the markings of Francesco Baracca, Italy’s top fighter ace. The prancing stallion emblem was a tribute to Baracca’s former cavalry regiment. He was killed in action in June 1918, and his mother later gave his stallion emblem to Enzo Ferrari to become the official symbol of Ferrari automobiles.

Nieuport 23 Specifications Manufacturer:     Nieuport Role:             Fighter Wing Span:         26 feet, 11 inches Height:            7 feet, 11 inches Length:            21 feet Engine:            120 hp Le Rhône 9Jb Maximum Speed:   105 mph Armament: One Machine Gun Years of Operation: 1917 Primary Users: French, British, Belgium, Russian & Italian Forces


Fokker DR-1 S.P.AD. S.XIII (1917) The SPAD S.XIII was one of the most famous French fighter planes during The Great War. Nearly 8,500 SPAD S.XIIIs were produced during the war – more than any other aircraft. Its main asset was excellent climbing performance and speed, which were superior to its British and German counterparts. The aircraft’s rounded fuselage and high aspect ratio wings made it aerodynamically sound. The United States began using the SPAD as its primary fighter after the Nieuport 28 proved unsuitable, and nearly half of the 893 purchased were still in service in 1920. The SPAD owned by the Military Aviation Museum is a reduced-scale plane powered by a small Rotex engine. It was built in Ohio in 2004, and its markings represent the plane flown by Maj. Charles Biddle, of Pennsylvania, who flew with the Lafayette Flying Corps and Escadrille 73 in France.

S.P.AD. S.XIII Specifications

Manufacturer: Société Pour L’Aviation et ses Dérivés Role: Fighter Wing Span: 27 feet, 1 inch Height: 8 feet, 6 inches Length: 20 feet, 6 inches Engine: 220 hp Hispano-Suiza 8Be Maximum Speed: 135 mph Armament: two Machine Guns Years of Operation: 1917-1919 Primary Users: French, British and American Forces

Bob Jackson, owner Phone: (757) 718-3195 Fax: (757) 436-5597 Email:


S.E.5 (1917) The Royal Aircraft Factory S.E.5 was first flown on the Western Front by British forces. Two of the first three S.E.5 (Scout Experimental 5) prototypes crashed, and Maj. Goodden, one of the plane’s designers, was killed in the first of these accidents in January 1917. Modifications resulted in a stable and maneuverable aircraft that was thought to be a better fighter than the Sopwith Camel. Few of these aircraft were ever produced because of engine shortages, but combined with the Camel, it was instrumental in regaining Allied air superiority in mid-1917. The S.E.5 on loan to the Military Aviation Museum is owned by Roland Gilliam. This aircraft was used in the 2004 Martin Scorsese film, The Aviator, starring Leonardo DiCaprio as the legendary Howard Hughes.

S.E.5 Specifications Manufacturer: Role: Wing Span: Height: Length: Engine: Maximum Speed: Armament: Years of Operation: Primary Users:

Royal Aircraft Factory Fighter 26 feet, 7 inches 9 feet, 6 inches 20 feet, 11 inches Hispano-Suiza 8a V8 138 mph Two Machine Guns, and Four 18kg Bombs 1917-1918 British, American, and Canadian Forces


The Manhattan Dolls are a swing-style vocal trio back for the second year at Biplanes & Triplanes with a Roaring 20s review. Join them for a journey to a time when patriotism was high, World War One had just ended, and feathers, pearls and dresses on the fringe of fashion were all the rage. Their songs include “Over There”, “Grand Ol’ Flag”, “Broadway Baby” and more. 13

Meet The Pilots Bill Crooker Hampton, VA Bill Crooker was born in Maine and grew up in Boston and took his first flight with his father at age four. Bill has flown for several airlines and charter companies. Currently, he flies the 747-400 for Atlas Air. He has over 15,000 hours of flight time.

Nelson Eskey Virginia Beach, VA Nelson Eskey, a Norfolk, Virginia native, grew up watching the seaplanes and fighters take off from Naval Station Norfolk, and took his first flight at age 15 in a Navy R5D. He began flying professionally in 1964 and flew for Piedmont Aviation, US Airways, and COPA Airlines. He has nearly 19,500 hours flight time.

John Glen Fuentes Centreville, VA John Glen Fuentes, originally from Chicago, Illinois, has been flying for over 30 years and is a Check Pilot for a major airline. For the past 20 years, he has spent much of his spare time flying vintage World War II aircraft like you see at the Military Aviation Museum.

John “Pappy” Mazza Chesterfield County, VA John “Pappy” Mazza has been flying his entire life; as a matter of fact he took his first plane ride at the age of 1 month. On his 16th birthday, he soloed and went on to get his commercial license, single engine land, multi engine land and instrument rating. Today, Pappy has over 4,500 hours in over 40 different aircraft.

Andy Michalak Easton, MD Andy Michalak began flying as a private pilot in 1958 and commercially in 1960. Four years later, he became a pilot in the US Air Force and was a fighter pilot with the Air National Guard throughout the 1960s and most of the 1970s. He has over 26,000 hours of flight time.

Robert R. “Boom” Powell Virginia Beach, VA Robert “Boom” Powell loves aviation and will try anything. He flew A-4B Skyhawks for the Navy in Vietnam and also served as an instructor pilot in the same aircraft. As a civilian, Boom hauled freight around the world for Pan Am and Atlas Air.

Kevin Sinibaldi Virginia Beach, VA Kevin Sinibaldi was raised in the northeast US and was commissioned in the US Navy in 1984, where he completed flight training and became a designated naval aviator in 1986. In 1995, he opened a parachute drop zone in Chesapeake, and began flying for Southwest Airlines.

Mike Spalding Ahoski, NC Mike Spalding is a Corporate Pilot in Norfolk and a Warbird Demonstration Pilot with over 13,000 hours flight time. He has flown more than 150 different types of aircraft, with many of them being their first flights. Mike became the Chief Pilot for the museum in January 2011.

Jerry Yagen Virginia Beach, VA For over forty years, Jerry Yagen has flown as a general aviation pilot in his own business and for personal enjoyment. The first true fighter that he flew was the Navy Corsair acquired by the museum in 1998. His greatest interests lie in helping the museum locate rare aircraft overseas in far-away remote locations. 14


Fokker DR-1 (1917)

Blue DR-1

Red & White DR-1 The Fokker DR-1triplane was developed in April 1917 to combat the British Sopwith. It featured a cantilever wing design with unbalanced ailerons and elevators, and a hollow box-spar construction to make the wings both lightweight and strong.

In October 1917 after six months of flight, two aircraft broke apart mid-flight killing the pilots. All of the aircraft were pulled from operations until modified wings could be installed in December. After that, failures occasionally occurred with the upper wing, but it was believed that this was a result of poor production quality rather than design flaw.

The Military Aviation Museum has four Fokker DR-1 triplanes in its collection.

Fokker DR-1 - Red:

The museum’s red Fokker DR-1 is intended to replicate the markings of Manfred von Richthofen, the legendary Red Baron. From 1916 to1918, von Richthofen was credited with 80 air combat victories, more than any other pilot. Von Richtofen became commander of the Jagdgescgwader 1 fighter unit in 1917. The unit used the bright red color so they were easily identifiable during dogfights, earning it the nickname The Flying Circus. On April 21, 1918, von Richtofen was killed in action, and over 90 years later, people are still debating if he was shot down by anti-aircraft guns or by Canadian pilot Arthur “Roy” Brown. The museum acquired this DR-1 in 2010 from a gentleman in Massachusetts.

Fokker DR-1 - Blue:

The blue Fokker DR-1 was the first DR-1 the museum acquired in 2007. This triplane is painted with the markings of the aircraft flown by Lt. Werner Voss, the fourth ranking ace in the German Army Air Service. Six of Lt. Voss’ forty-eight air combat victories were in his DR-1 triplane. He was killed in action on September 23, 1917. He alone fought six British SE5 pilots from 56 Squadron and three more from the 60 Squadron. The battle continued for more than 10 minutes until he was shot down. He was only 19 years old. 16

Fokker DR-1 Specifications Manufacturer: Fokker Flugzeugwerke Role: Fighter Wing Span: Top: 23 feet 7 inches Mid: 20 feet 5 inches Lower: 18 feet 9 inches Height: 9 feet, 8 inches Length: 18 feet, 11 inches

Red DR-1 Yellow DR-1

Engine: 110 hp Oberursel or LeRhône Maximum Speed: 115 mph Armament: Two Machine Guns Years of Operation: 1917-1918 Primary Users: German Forces

Fokker DR-1 - Red & White:

This particular aircraft is painted to mimic the DR-1 flown by Lt. August Raben, the commander of Jasta 18 squad. The squad was nicknamed the Raven Jasta, and pilots featured ravens on their aircraft. Lt. Raben’s Fokker was one of the few to survive World War One being taken by the French following the war. However, no original Fokker DR-1s exist today. The museum acquired this red and white Fokker in September 2009. It was originally built for Paul Poberezny, the founder of the Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA), which holds the annual Oshkosh air show.

Fokker DR-1 - Yellow:

The yellow and brown markings of this Fokker DR-1 mirror those of Lt. Rudolf Klimke of Jasta 27. People often refer to this as a yellow and brown design, but the Jasta’s aircraft were probably painted solid yellow. The fuselage had a darker, brown appearance because of its original olive color beneath. This Fokker was built in 1989 in Maryland and joined the museum’s collection in June 2009 with its first flight in August 2010 following more than a year of restoration work. When purchased, the Fokker was red and brown, but the museum chose to replicate the colorings of Klimke’s aircraft. Klimke and Jasta 27 were depicted in the 2010 Biplanes air show poster artwork.


Number 2 Squadron Re-Enactor Group During the course of the war, No. 2 Squadron went on to achieve a number of firsts in the history of the R.F.C. and aerial combat. The first downing of an enemy aircraft by a member of the R.F.C. occurred in August 1914 by Lt. H.D. Harvey Kelly. An observer of No. 2 Squadron, Sergeant-Major D.S. Jillings, incurred the first wound suffered as a result of enemy fire. The first Victoria Cross received by a member of the R.F.C. for aerial service was awarded to Lieutenant William Rhodes-Moorhouse, a pilot in No. 2 Squadron. The last Victory Cross awarded on the Western Front to a member of the R.F.C. also went to a member of No. 2 Squadron, Lt. A.A. McLeod. Several men who went on to play prominent and important roles in the future of the Royal Air Force gained their first experience as members of No. 2 Squadron, including future R.A.F. Air Marshal Sir William Sholto Douglas, who began his flying career as an aerial photographer in the unit.

No. 2 Squadron was the first dedicated aircraft unit of the newly formed Royal Flying Corps (No. 1 Squadron being a balloon and kite unit). The Squadron was sent to France at the outbreak of The Great War along with three other squadrons. Lieutenant H.D. Harvey Kelly, a pilot with No. 2 Squadron, was the first member of the R.F.C. to land in France on August 13, 1914. During the first year of the war, the Squadron operated out of nearly two-dozen different airfields before being assigned to Hesdigneul, France in 1915, where theyremained until the final months of the war. The Squadron’s primary duties were aerial reconnaissance, photography, bombing, and artillery cooperation. No. 2 Squadron flew to France in 1914 using the BlÊroit Experimental 2 (B.E.2). It continued to use variations of the B.E.2 series throughout the war, as well as the Reconnaissance Experimental (R.E.1 & 2) series, the Maurice Farman series, the F.B.9, the Bristol Scout and the Armstrong Whitworth F.K.8. 18


Albatros D.Va (1917) The Albatros fighter was first used by the Germans in 1917 and remained in service through the end of the war. The aircraft featured an aerodynamically-shaped elliptical fuselage constructed of fabric-covered plywood. The aircraft suffered from structural problems with the lower wing, and eventually additional wing bracing was added. Despite the additional modifications, pilots complained that the Albatros was difficult to maneuver and heavy on the controls. The Military Aviation Museum’s Albatros D.Va was built in 1992 and obtained by the museum in 2006. It has an inverted Gypsy Major engine built in England.

Albatros D.Va Specifications Manufacturer: Albatros-Flugzeugwerke Role: Fighter Wing Span: 29 feet, 8 inches Height: 8 feet, 10 inches Length: 24 feet Engine: 180 hp Mercedes Maximum Speed: 116 mph Armament: Two Machine Guns Years of Operation: 1917-1918 Primary Users: German Forces



Albatros D.Va




Halberstadt CL IV



Nieuport XI



Blériot XI


Sopwith 1½ Strutter


ELY-Curtiss Pusher

Wright Bros. EX FlYER “Vin Fiz”


Sopwith Pup


Nieuport 17

The beautiful aircraft of the Military Aviation Museum


Fokker D.VII (1918) The Fokker Flugzeugwerke company began experimenting with a V-series biplane in 1916 featuring cantilever wings. In January 1918, pilots from the front were invited to participate in a competition to test and evaluate the new fighters. Following their evaluations, the VII was modified to improve handling by elongating the rear fuselage and adding a triangular fixed vertical fin in front of Black D.VII the rudder. After that, von Richthofen, the Red Baron, declared VII the best in the competition, and it was sent into production. As it began reaching the frontlines in the autumn of 1918, this biplane quickly proved to be a formidable aircraft. After the war, Germany was required to surrender all D.VIIs to the Allies, and surviving aircraft experienced widespread use for many years by the victors.

Fokker D.VII - Red

The museum’s first D.VII is solid red. This aircraft last flew in 1975 at the Oshkosh Air Show in Wisconsin. Following World War One, the United States claimed many of the D.VIIs still in flying condition and used them for training. As the original Mercedes engines wore out, the Americans replaced them with a Hall-Scott motor like the one in this particular D.VII. While the engine in this aircraft is functional, the linen fabric coverings on the wings need to be replaced before it can fly again.

Fokker D.VII - Black

The black Fokker D.VII was purchased from an owner in Switzerland in 2010. Its black paint scheme features a skull and crossbones emblem with a white tail fin adorned with a cross. The aircraft was built in 1990 and was flown throughout Switzerland and the United Kingdom before arriving in the United States.

Fokker D.VII - Lozenge Camouflage

In 2011, the museum acquired a third Fokker D.VII. This aircraft features the colorful lozenge camouflage paint scheme commonly used by the Germans from 1917-1918. The lozenge design traditionally consists of polygons in four or five colors. The Germans felt the patterns made it more difficult to distinguish the plane’s silhouette when in flight. Lozenge Camouflage


Fokker D.VII Specifications


Manufacturer: Role: Wing Span: Height: Length: Engine: Maximum Speed: Armament: Years of Operation: Primary Users:

Fokker Flugzeugwerke Fighter 29 feet, 3 inch 9 feet, 2 inches 22 feet, 9 inches 180 hp Mercedes D.IIIa 116 mph Two Machine Guns 1918 German Forces

SeaCrest welcomes our former owner Mike back to the kitchen!

Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner:Tuesday thru Sunday Lunch & Dinner: Monday 1776 Princess Anne Road, 757-426-7804

ENTERTAINMENT You’ll be delighted by the shenanigans of Billy Scadlock as Charlie Chaplin. Billy has entertained millions around the world, and Charlie Chaplin is his all-time favorite character to portray. He has captured the comedian’s persona and distinctive waddle so well, he was praised by Chaplin’s daughters, Jane and Geraldine Chaplin. 702-889-2610 26

Halberstadt CL IV (1918) The Halberstadt CL IV joined the German squadrons in spring 1918. The biplane was more maneuverable than the earlier model, CL II, and it served a vital role as a ground attack aircraft. Four to six aircraft would fly in low formations over the Western Front targeting Allied infantry and artillery, clearing the way for advancing German troops. The museum’s Halberstadt was purchased in 2006 from a museum in Alabama. It is powered by a modern, hidden Lycoming six-cylinder engine. The cartoon on the fuselage represents The Katzenjamer Kids, an American comic strip from the early Twentieth Century, which was based on a 1860s German children’s story about two mischievous boys.

Halberstadt CL IV Specifications

Manufacturer:        Halberstadter Flugzeugwerke Role:                         Ground Attack Aircraft Wing Span:                 35 feet, 2 3/4 inches Height:                      8 feet, 9 inches Length:                     21 feet, 5 1/2 inches Engine:                      160 hp Mercedes D.III Maximum Speed:        104 mph Armament:                  Two Machine Guns, Grenades and 20 lb. Bombs Years of Operation: 1918 Primary Users: German Forces

For information, contact the museum director at 757-721-7767 or 27

Fokker C.I (1918)

The Fokker C.I was a German reconnaissance biplane very similar to the Fokker D.VII with two seats and a 185 hp BMW III engine. The C.I never saw service in World War I, but following the war, Anthony Fokker used these planes to smuggle parts out of Germany. A total of 250 were built, including 42 for the Soviet Air Force and 62 for the Dutch Air Force. The C.I continued to be used as a training and reconnaissance aircraft until 1936. The museum’s Fokker C.I features a lozenge paint scheme, a camouflage design developed by the Germans during the war. The repeating pattern of colorful, irregularly-shaped polygons was thought to be difficult to see from the ground. However, painting such a pattern was very time consuming, and the paint added considerably to the weight of the aircraft, so the fabric was actually printed instead of hand-painted. This pre-printed fabric was used from 1916 until the end of the war in various forms and colors. The museum’s C.I is adorned with a five colored lozenge scheme and bears the Iron Cross (Balkenkreuz), the symbol for Germany’s armed forces. It was built in Tulsa, Oklahoma, and it is powered by an inverted American Ranger motor.

Fokker C.I Specifications Manufacturer: Role: Wing Span: Height: Length: Engine: Maximum Speed: Armament: Primary Users:


Fokker Flugzeugwerke Reconnaissance / Trainer 34 feet, 5 inches 9 feet, 5 inches 23 feet 9 inches 185 Hp BMW IIIa 109 mph two machine guns German Forces


de Havilland DH-89A Dragon Rapide (1933)

The de Havilland DH-89A Dragon Rapide was designed in 1933 and was the most successful British-built commercial passenger aircraft of the decade. Before the beginning of World War Two, over 200 were built, and once the war began, the British used this aircraft for passenger duties and radio navigation training. Even though these airplanes did not see service during World War One, it is such a crowd favorite that we include it in the air show. The most famous Rapide was owned by Prince Edward, Prince of Wales, in 1935. Prince Edward served near the front lines in World War One and undertook his first military flight in 1918. His royal aircraft was painted in the red and blue colors of the Royal Guard and outfitted with de Havilland Rapide leather chairs embossed with the Prince of Wales’ Specifications feathered crest. The Military Aviation Museum’s Manufacturer: de Havilland restored Rapide arrived at the museum in 2010. Role: Passenger Airline It was originally built in 1944 for the Royal Air Wing Span: 48 feet Force flying from Dumfries, Scotland. After World Height: 10 feet, 3 inches War Two, it shuttled holiday travelers to the Length: 34 feet, 6 inches Channel Islands and went on to serve as public Engine: 200 hp Gipsy and private passenger travel throughout Europe Queen Engines (2) for years. The aircraft was sold to an American in Maximum Speed: 160 mph 1972. The museum acquired it in 2007 and began Passengers: Six restoration to replicate the markings of the Years of Operation: 1933-1952 Prince of Wales’ aircraft. 30


Terry Chesson livens up Saturday evening with his Jump N’ Jive Orchestra at our hangar dance. Join us as we are transported back in time to the era of the Charleston and the Varsity Drag. Dress in Roaring 20s clothing and get ready to dance the night away in the museum’s Navy hangar. The dance is free with your air show ticket, so why not stay for all the fun? Terry, vocalist Melanie, and the rest of the band have kept folks dancing coast to coast performing in hot spots like the Derby in Hollywood, California and of course, the Military Aviation Museum in Virginia Beach. 31


One of America’s favorite performers of jazz standards is Theresa Eaman. She’s back with us for the third year, having performed at each of the annual Warbirds Over the Beach and Biplanes air shows, and we couldn’t imagine an event without her. Theresa specializes in re-creating the wartime music of our past. You won’t want to miss her show at Biplanes & Triplanes, so be sure to take the time to relax in the hangar as she sings music from World War One and World War Two.


Aviation Institute of Maintenance Challenges Students in Plane Build Competition

Kansas City’s Morane Saulnier

The Aviation Institute of Maintenance trains individuals to become aircraft maintenance technicians at its ten campuses around the country. Students are trained in all aspects of aircraft repair and maintenance, including engines, airframes, aircraft systems, instruments, structures, and more. Several years ago, each campus was challenged to build a full-scale replica World War One airplane from plans. This is a team project where students volunteer their time to perform nearly all of the work under the guidance of instructors.

When all airplanes are completed, they will be displayed and flown at the Military Aviation Museum. You can visit with students, faculty and staff from the Chesapeake campus at the air show and talk with them about their Nieuport 24 under construction. Other aircraft under construction include the Nieuport 11 “Bebe” in Indianapolis, Philadelphia’s Nieuport 17, a Sopwith Pup in Dallas, a Sopwith Camel in Manassas, Atlanta’s Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter, Kansas City’s Morane Saulnier and Orlando’s Fokker D.VIII.

FOR ALL OF YOUR PRINTING NEEDS Bindery, Bulk Mailing, Design, FourColor Process, Marketing, Printing, Promotional Mailing, Announcements, Books, Brochures, Business Cards, Envelopes, Flyers, Forms, Letterhead, Newsletters, Postcards, Presentation Folders, Promotional Products, Programs, Self-Inking Stamps, Signs & Banners.


Imagine floating along on the breeze with a bird’s eye view of the world during battle.

The Civil War

World War One

Hot air ballooning dates as far back as 1783 in France, when men first used hot air to successfully achieve a unique type of flying experience. During the American Civil War, hot air and gas balloons were used for reconnaissance missions to determine the position of the enemy and also as a means of communicating with troops on the ground. The Confederacy employed their first observation balloon over Yorktown, Virginia in 1862. The Civil War also saw the advent of the first aircraft carrier when balloons were launched from ships right here in the Hampton Roads area.

Although using balloons was phased out during the Civil War, they saw a resurgence during World War One. Both sides tethered balloons along the Western Front for observation and communication posts. In London, groups of balloons, called barrage balloons, were suspended with steel cables to prevent planes from getting close enough to complete their air raid missions.


Today Today, there are approximately 7,500 hot air balloons throughout the United States, and most are used for recreational purposes. Piloting a hot air balloon can be tricky and requires someone with the knowledge and skill to properly operate one. This type of flying is largely dependent on favorable weather conditions, sufficient visibility, wind speed and direction. The pilot must steer the balloon by climbing or descending into wind currents traveling in the direction he wishes to go. This may be accomplished by opening a blast valve to increase the temperature of the air inside the envelope to achieve lift. To descend,

the pilot may open a vent to let hot air escape which decreases the temperature. An integral part of the hot air balloon flight is the chase vehicle. This team follows the balloon’s path on the ground and arrives in time to help with the landing and to transport equipment, crew, and passengers back to the launch site. For the second year, we are thrilled to have a collection of these beautiful balloons join us for Biplanes and Triplanes. Weather permitting, they will launch at dawn and dusk, and perhaps offer a glowing showcase of color after dark during the Saturday evening hangar dance.






Honoring the commitment of our troops and their families It takes special people to dedicate themselves to serving their country, and we appreciate the commitment of our troops at home and overseas – and their families who support them. Wells Fargo proudly salutes Biplanes & Triplanes 2012

Clyde T. Clark, Jr., Senior Vice President 440 Monticello Ave., Suite 1100 • Norfolk 757-667-3441 © 2012 Wells Fargo Bank, N.A. All rights reserved. Member FDIC. (730741_06001)


Parris Island Living History Detachment The mission of the Parris Island Living History Detachment (LHD), under the sponsorship of the Parris Island Historical and Museum Society (PIHMS), is the presentation and preservation of Marine Corps history through the education of Marine recruits and the general public. The LHD started in the fall of 2004 as an effort on behalf of two volunteers to generously give back to the Marine Corps by improving the historical program provided to the recruits. The size and capability of the LHD has expanded tremendously over the last eight years. The LHD consistently provides recruit presentations on at least ten weekends a year, as well as participates in other local and regional events. The LHD provides presentations to Marine Corps recruits, Active/Reserve units, recruiting stations, Marine Corps Associations, 38

and Depot ceremonies. It also provides support at National and State parks, presents traveling exhibits and historical demonstrations for schools, air shows, re-enactments, and parades, and offers consultants, tour guides, and narrators for the Parris Island Command Museum. In 2007, the founding member of the LHD received a Commanding General’s Certificate of Commendation for his contribution to recruit training and recruiting. Also in 2007, the LHD was recognized for their efforts by Patriot’s Point in Charleston, South Carolina, and appointed the official Marine Detachment for the USS Yorktown Museum. In 2009, the LHD received the Magruder Award for excellence in depicting Marine Corps History from the Marine Corps Heritage Foundation.


Join this energetic a-capella quartet from Richmond, Virginia for a trip back in time.


HISTORY The Military Aviation Museum was founded in 2005 to provide a permanent home for aircraft from the first half of the last century. The museum’s on going mission is to preserve, restore and fly these historic aircraft and to allow a new generation to experience and learn from what their fathers, grandfathers, and great-grandfathers might have endured on the lonely airfields and in the skies so very far from home. The museum’s founder has spent years collecting and restoring these beautiful aircraft. And over the years, the museum has collected the real stories behind the aircraft following them from production lines through battles and training missions to civilian service. You are encouraged to spend some time with a docent to hear these interesting histories. In the past year, the Military Aviation Museum added several new aircraft to its collection. Some of the more famous include a Messerschmitt Me 262 jet, currently housed in a hangar in Suffolk, Virginia, a Curtiss JN-4 Jenny, and a Curtiss Pusher.

Come visit us often and bring your family and friends along. We are constantly growing and changing, so consider an annual membership. Isn’t it time you explored what’s new in history? Call (757) 721-7767 for more information.


Mu Open seum M 9am t on-Sun o 5pm

Each month, the Military Aviation Museum brings you guest speakers, flight demonstrations, and other special events celebrating aviation history. Visit the museum’s website often for the most up-to-date list of events.

SEPTEMBER 2012 September 29 Wings & Wheels Car Show – 8:00am-4:00pm Annual car show featuring antique, classic and special interest vehicles alongside the museum’s vintage military aircraft. The event is coordinated by the Tidewater Regional AACA. (Rain Date: October 20)


October 5-7 WWI Radio Controlled Planes “Mid Atlantic Dawn Patrol” Show Come see over 150 pilots fly their RC aircraft flying and performing tricks that the big ones can’t! Learn how to build, maintain, and operate these miniature Warbirds.

October 20 Gliders Come to Military Aviation Museum – 9:00am-5:00pm The Tidewater Soaring Society will fly gliders towed by open cockpit biplanes. Come watch the thrills of motorless flight. Pilots will assemble their gliders in front of the museum and answer questions about this popular form of sport flying. 


 November 3 Air & Auto Classic See an amazing collection of Porsches side by side with vintage Warbirds at this annual event. (Rain Date: November 10)


November 11 Veterans’ Day Check the museum website for special Veterans’ Day events. November 23-25 Trains & Planes It’s the annual model train show organized by the Tidewater Division of the National Model Railroad Association. Come out for the weekend following Thanksgiving and see how the hangar is overrun with trains. Santa will fly in on Saturday in his biplane.

FEBRUARY 2013 February 9 Valentine’s Day Hangar Dance – 6:00pm-10:30pm The museum’s annual Valentine’s Day hangar dance grows more popular every year. Don’t miss this annual opportunity to dress in your 1940s clothing and dance to WWII-era music. Watch the website for ticket details.

MAY 2013 May 17-19 Warbirds Over the Beach Don’t miss the annual Warbirds Over the Beach Air Show. Dozens of World War Two aircraft from the museum and other collections throughout the country fly, while re-enactors, entertainers and vendors take over the grounds.

JUNE 2013 June 1 Flying Proms The Virginia Symphony, Virginia Arts Festival and Military Aviation Museum join together once more for the third annual Flying Proms. Enjoy an evening of patriotic and classical music on the lawn while planes fly overhead. Monthly Hangar Talk Series – Saturdays at 11:00am One Saturday each month, the museum invites a veteran to come speak about his or her experiences in World War Two, Korea, or Vietnam. Hear these amazing stories and see a flight demonstration of one of the museum’s aircraft. Watch the website for speaker dates and details as they become available.


is a proud sponsor of 42

Become A Museum Member! Office Use Only Member Number: Expiration Date:

MUSEUM MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION 501 (c)(3) Tax Deductible Foundation

Member Name: ________________________________________________Age:_______ Address:_________________________________________________________________ City:______________________________________State:_______Zip:_______________ Phone:__________________________Email:___________________________________ Occupation:______________________________________________________________ Signature:________________________________________Date:___________________  INDIVIDUAL $50.00 Annually   Family $80.00 ANNUALLY (Family members are those residing in your household)

 Please automatically renew my membership for subsequent years until I cancel.

METHOD OF PAYMENT  Check (Payable to Military Aviation Museum)  Mastercard  Visa Name on Card:___________________________________________ Account No. _____________________________Exp. Date: _______ Signature:_______________________________________________

Become A Museum Volunteer! We are looking for enthusiastic individuals who would like to become volunteer members of our museum! These positions might be as a tour docent, historical interpreter or just to help us out. It’s fun. It’s exciting. All it takes is a little time and enthusiasm on your part. If you are interested in participating in such a non-compensated position, please fill out and mail this form in today. Hope to see you...on the flight line!

Name: ___________________________________________________________________ Address:_________________________________________________________________ City:_____________________________________State:________Zip:________________ Phone: _____________________________ Email:________________________________ Prior Aviation Experience: ___________________________________________________ _________________________________________________________________________ Veteran:_______________________________Branch______________Duty:__________ Mail To: Military Aviation Museum, 1341 Princess Anne Road,


Virginia Beach, VA 23457

Or Fax To:

(757) 204-2682

Special Thanks To Our Sponsors!



BiPlanes and TriPlanes 2012 Program Guide