Page 1

May 2016 (Issue 425)

Subaru 4WD Club of Victoria Inc. Reg. No. A – 0006149J / FWDV Member PO BOX 2456 Mount Waverley VIC 3149

www.subaru4wdvic.com.au


Volks-Baru Subaru and Volkswagen Specialist Parts and Service Centre

We will smooth out your motoring costs with extremely competitive prices, offering trade discounts to all Subaru 4WD Club of Victoria members on all parts and repairs.

John Bailey 1362 Heatherton Rd Dandenong North 3175 Phone: (03) 9793 5655

2|Page


C ON T E N T S Intro 4 Committee 5 From The President 6 Upcoming 7 Next Meeting - May 31st 7 Trips and Social Events 7 Other Trips for 2016 still in the planning stage 9 Long Term Future Planning 9 Trip and Recovery Gear 10 Trip Reports 11 ANZAC Trip 2016 Karra Karra NP 11 Trips Summary 16 Buy and Sell 19 Club Resources 19 Member Items for Sale 19 Minutes 22 Editor Notes 31

3|Page


INTRO The Subaru 4WD Club of Victoria Inc. was originally formed over 30 years ago by an enthusiastic group of Subaru owners. Today the club has expanded to include all Subaru 4WD and AWD vehicles, as well as all other makes of AWD, light 4WD and crossover/soft-roader type vehicles. The club aims to participate in the exploration of the Australian countryside without damage to the environment, vehicle or individual. Visitors are most welcome to attend the club’s General Meetings and contact committee members regarding participation in club activities. The club relies on membership fees to offset its running costs, including insurance. Membership fees are payable each year, due on 31 May. Fees for the 2016/17 year were agreed at the general meeting in April 2016 and are as follows:

Member rates: Single: $120 (Seniors card - $110) Joint/family: $140 - (Seniors card - $125). One off joining fee of $10 ($20 for Joint/Family) also applies All annual fees include FWDV affiliation and trip insurance: $48 NEW MAGAZINE LEVY: $20 for hard copy (whether posted or collected at meetings) Non-member trip fee: A trip fee of $15 per adult non-member applies (for insurance purposes)

Please contact the membership officer for further enquiries. Email: mship@subaru4wdvic.com.au

4|Page


COMMITTEE Stephen Whittaker (President)

president@subaru4wdvic.com.au

Dale Rebgetz (Vice President)

vice-president@subaru4wdvic.com.au

Peter Bellis (Secretary)

secretary@subaru4wdvic.com.au

Bob Marshall (Treasurer)

treasurer@subaru4wdvic.com.au

Duncan McCrae (OM: General Committee) Dan Conlon (OM: Editor)

editor@subaru4wdvic.com. au

Jean Bellis (OM: Social Coordinator )

events@subaru4wdvic.com.au

Jamie Scott (OM: Trips Coordinator)

events@subaru4wdvic.com.au

Meredith Dale (OM: Venue Coordinator)

venue@subaru4wdvic.com.au

Mike Dale (OM: Website/ Magazine Content)

venue@subaru4wdvic.com.au

5|Page


F R OM T HE P RE SI DE N T President’s Report: May Magazine Welcome to the May Subaru 4WD Club magazine! Last month’s General Meeting was a great one. Thanks to all who attended. And sincere thanks to Ken Birch from the Victorian High Country Huts Association for a very informative and interesting discussion on the huts we frequently visit. I certainly learned a lot about how the association works to preserve, protect, fund, build and improve the huts. We were lucky to have Ken talk with us about this and we will be much more aware of the works that go into these huts when we’re next out and about visiting them! Just prior to the last meeting, the Kara Kara State Forest trip was run, with the standing camp based at Moonambel. It was a great weekend away. What, for me, however, was the most staggering part of this trip was just how dry it is in that region of Victoria. Our club sees a lot of Victoria, and some of it is dry. But I don’t feel I’ve seen dry like this in our travels before. The dust was incredible and, at one point, we drove down into a valley to find it filled with dead trees – a tree graveyard. I’d not seen anything like it before. Many city slickers (that is, those who don’t venture out of the city) don’t realise just what a drought/lack of rain looks like. Many thanks to Mike and Meredith for a great trip! Also this month, we had our first club four wheel drive training event. Thanks to a shot rear wheel bearing I had to repair on the Saturday, I could only get up on the Sunday (the practical day of the training). Run at a purpose-built training facility, members (mostly new) were able to learn more about four wheel driving techniques, how their vehicles behave in certain conditions, the importance of safety and, most importantly, gain confidence in getting out and about! I cannot thank Jessica enough for her efforts in running what, from all accounts, was an extremely successful weekend! Please join me in thanking Jessica for her work in getting this critical project off the ground for our club. Thanks must also go to two Driver Awareness instructors from the Toyota Land Cruiser Club of Victoria. Simon and Matt provided excellent expertise and assisted Jessica in ensuring the practical day moved smoothly and quickly. Thanks guys! The Committee held the May Committee Meeting at Jamie’s place. It was a full day that we spent working on improving the club and planning future projects and initiatives. Thanks to Jamie for hosting us and the Committee for a fantastic planning day. Some of the discussions included a ‘New Members Pack’, Convoy Procedures and CB Radio Etiquette education. You will see some of the details the discussions coming out of this day soon and we’ll be seeking your feedback.

6|Page


We are, of course, very excited about our 40th year exploring Australia in our Subarus! And, with the club turning 40 this year, we’re having what will be a fantastic celebration. We will be heading to Echuca for the party where we will enjoy afternoon drinks on a paddle steamer, an optional ‘Port After Dark’ guided lantern tour and then dinner at the renowned Radcliffe’s restaurant right in the Echuca Port precinct. After a huge night celebrating, we will then enjoy a big breakfast cook up Subaru 4WD Clubstyle! Sincere thanks to David Wilson for his fantastic efforts in arranging everything so far – thanks, Dave. For more details, refer to the ‘Trip and Social’ section of this magazine. I’m looking forward to your company at the May General Meeting where you can catch up on the latest club news, hear trip reports and mingle with other members. In the meantime, enjoy the May magazine and I’ll see you at the meeting and/or out on the tracks – wherever we may be heading! Stephen Whittaker President

UPCOMING Next Meeting - May 31st Date: Tuesday the 31st May at 8pm - Meetings are the Last Tuesday of every month (except December) Venue: South Camberwell Tennis Club, 332 Burke Road, Glen Iris At this month’s meeting we have David Smith from forestry coming along to do a short presentation. Door Prize. Come along to win a special door prize at this month’s meeting. Venue Coordinator Meredith Dale

Trips and Social Events We have a variety of trips coming up! With that we’d also like to remind you that if you want to get your name down on the list for a trip but maybe can’t make it to the meeting you are always welcome to contact the trip leader directly.

7|Page


There is a need for day trips of various standards but with an emphasis on trips that many of our newer members can come on. This could mean an easy, medium easy or an easy medium. So if you know a great location that you would love to explore with the club let us know. Chances are that there are others in the club that might want to visit the same area. Put up the suggestion and someone else might run it Put up the suggestion and ask for someone else who might want to co lead it with you. You might want it run it yourself and if it is your first time we will provide you with a trip mentor. We are also starting to plan some social events as well! • • • • •

A social trip with a hot spud lunch at a bush location. Christmas in July will be held in a venue to be decided on Saturday July 2nd. Bike Ride to Warburton Navigation run in the Riddles Creek area Melbourne lanes

Licola to Jamison over Mt Skene. When: Saturday 11th Monday 13th June (Queens Birthday long weekend Trip Leader: Mike Dale | venue@subaru4wdvic.com.au Trip Standard: Medium ■ (TBC)

Simpson Desert This Trip has reached Convoy Limit. When: 17th July 2016 for 3 weeks Trip Leader: Dale Rebgetz | vice-president@subaru4wdvic.com.au

11th Australian 4WD Gathering When: 19th – 22nd August 2016 Where: Barmera, South Australia (2 hours west of Mildura) Loveday 4x4 Park. Trip Leaders: Peter & Jean Bellis | events@subaru4wdvic.com.au

8|Page


40th Anniversary Celebrations Saturday 24th to Sunday 25th September 2016 Trip Leader: Dave Wilson | dw@subaru4wdvic.com.au | 0429 942 724 Location: Echuca Saturday: Paddle steamer ride including drinks and hors d’oeuvres Optional Lantern Tour of the Historic Port area. Dinner at Radcliffes Sunday: Big cooked breakfast.

Other Trips for 2016 still in the planning stage Robe When: 29th Oct to 1st November Where: Robe, SA Trip Rating: Medium ■ (to be confirmed) Convoy Limit: TBC Trip Leaders: Lee Wegner & Duncan McCrae | Duncan.mccrae.aust@gmail.com

Maldon Navigation Run When: October Trip Leader: Martin Foot | mhfoot@optusnet.com.au

Long Term Future Planning 2017

Central Australia – Touring Trip Kangaroo Island - March Kosciusko to Melbourne 20-28th May – Stephen Whittaker Blue Mountains – 25th Oct to 7th Nov - Stephen Whittaker

2018

Tasmania – Hobart and the SE for 2 weeks in March – Jessica Walsh Fraser Island

2019

Canning Stock Route 5-week trip Simpson Desert – re-enactment of the 40th anniversary of the

9|Page


Club’s 1974 crossing from Macumba Station to Purine Bore

Trip and Social Contacts • • •

Trip Coordinator: Jamie Scott Social Coordinator : Jean Bellis events@subaru4wdvic.com.au

TRIP AND RECOVERY GEAR The aim of all Subaru 4WD Club of Victoria Inc. trips is to have an enjoyable experience in the bush, increasing 4WD’ing skills and experience, whilst maintaining the highest regard for the safety of individuals, the vehicle and the environment. As a driver you have ultimate responsibility for the safety of your passengers and vehicle. It is the responsibility of any participating driver to contact individual trip leaders for clarification of individual trip requirements and standards. Financial members are encouraged to participate in as many trips as possible to increase confidence and experience. Visitors are welcome subject to the payment of the appropriate levy to cover insurance, but after two visits, should consider membership. Non-financial members are not covered by insurance and may not participate until payment is received. Individual drivers with concerns or queries regarding their vehicle and the trip standard should contact relevant trip leaders. The Subaru 4WD Club of Victoria Inc. recommends that each vehicle carry the following items or equipment on every trip: 1.

2.

Personal details form as

Radio. Ideally in car but hand

specified by FWDV, copy to

held are ok provided

Trip Leader

sufficient battery(s) to last

Two rated D- Shackles (minimum 3.2t)

the trip. 6.

Fire Extinguisher, accessible

3.

Rated snatch strap

to the driver

4.

Recovery Points, Front &

7.

Spare Tyre (full size)

Rear; plus optional bridle

8.

Jack and wheel Brace, or

strap, according to vehicle design; 5.

equivalent 9.

Emergency Supplies

AM (27Mhz) Channel 5 or

(matches, food, water and

UHF (477Mhz) Channel 16 CB

clothing)

10 | P a g e


10. Sufficient Fuel, Oil and Water for the trip and delays 11. A Tyre Pressure Gauge; Compressor (according to the trip)

13. A Sturdy Shovel (collapsible shovels are no good) 14. Spare Parts (appropriate to the nature of the trip) 15. A Tool Kit

12. An Axe, Bow or Chain saw;

16. Personal First Aid Kit 17. The Vehicle Manual

Any vehicle not carrying at least the first five (5) items of equipment should contact the individual Trip Leader before leaving. Any Club member unsure about any of the items of equipment listed above are advised to contact the Trip and Social Coordinator or the Trip Leader concerned. All Trip Leaders carry a complete First Aid Kit in case of emergency. All non-emergency medical needs are expected to be meet by individuals own medical supplies.

TRIP REPORTS ANZAC Trip 2016 Karra Karra NP By Edith Fullalove and Michael Dale Friday morning: Meredith, Peter and Jamie went up to secure the camp site for the weekend at the Moonambel Campground. Stephen, Mike, Edith, Alan and Sandy arriving later in the afternoon and into the evening. It was lovely to arrive and already have the tents set up. Meredith, Jamie and Peter were very mean to us; as we were driving up we were told that the campsite was full with another 4WD group and the only spots left were next to the toilets. Edith personally did not find it funny

11 | P a g e


at all and she made sure they knew this once we had arrived. However Meredith did give it away a little when she said it was raining and we looked out in their direction to find nothing but clear sky.

Saturday morning: Peter, Mike, Jamie, Alan and Stephen went out for a drive while Sandy, Meredith and Edith kept the home fires burning. The boys had a good time while out. We came across a Land Cruiser just finishing a descent of a very steep and rocky track (Slate Quarry Track). ‘Gnarly’ was the description the passenger used. A suitable investigation ensured, followed by a drive up about two thirds of the track by Jamie/Mike and Stephen. At this point there is a significant rock step and to port that step meant a cross camber traverse on a steep track. Unsurprising, at the base of this step, there was a convenient place to turn around, which I’m sure we were not the first ones to use. We then drove up Turpin Track. It had a couple of interesting rises which all four cars managed, and then descended down Sardine Track. At the bottom Mike decided there was time for one more track, so we went and looked at Miles Loop Track. This track proceeded to become progressively worse and steeper. Jamie’s Land Cruiser (the lead vehicle), crawling up in low first hit a rock in the middle of the track and stopped dead. ‘Oh, what was that’ says Jamie. Whereupon reversing he found the significantly large rock in the middle of the track. Driving around the rock the top of the track was achieved. There was some discussion on whether anyone else would follow Jamie. The decision was in the negative, so Jamie turned around and met the other at the bottom and proceeded back to camp. Mike the intrepid trip leader ran out of map (having left the other one back at the camp) and got lost. It was a rescue call from Stephen (who remembered the way from last year) ‘You’ve gone the wrong way’ to set everything correct. When the men got back lunch was eaten, while we waited for Charles and Paula to arrive before going on an afternoon drive. The tracks driven in the afternoon included Moonambel Track, Taltarni Track, Centre Road, Teddington Road, and Chimney Track, where we had afternoon tea. We then did the Mt Separation loop which included: Mt Separation Track, Lambing Flat Track, Log Gate Road, Victoria Gully Road, Centre Road, and Redbank-Barkley Road. Due to time we cut it short and returned to Moonambel along the highway via Redbank.

12 | P a g e


One of the descents down Centre Road Janelle and Dale arrived just in time for dinner at the Moonambel Pub. We had a booking for 6.30 and we all walked down when it was time. At the end of the meal there was some discussion with the locals as to how to pronounce Moonambel. Some suggested Mon-a-bul, others Moon-am-bel, the publican suggested Moon-nam-bell. Interestingly enough, Google suggests the last pronunciation. When we got back to the camp a nice fire was lit for all to enjoy for the evening.

Sunday morning: we left camp around 9:00 a.m. as we had a full day ahead of us. We headed out of camp into Red Bank Nature Conservation Reserve. Following the tracks Bridle Track, Willis Track, Jack Willis Track, and Camphouse Track where we had to remove a tree branch off the track. We then rolled the dice and choose a couple of tracks that we had not pre-tripped. By the look of the contours on the map, they looked like they could be interesting – although one was not actually shown on the map as it had only recently been made. The tracks were Puddler Track and Grant Track. Neither disappointed, and Grant Track kicked up significantly about three quarters of the way along. We then went on to Mt Separation Track, Blue Gum Track and onto Teddington Road which lead us to Tedding Hut. There we had morning tea here and checked out the hut. They even had a shower as part of the toilet complex here, we had never seen this before anywhere in the bush, so found it rather amusing.

13 | P a g e


Teddington Hut We then headed further down the road to Teddington Campground so we could use the toilets (the one at the Hut wasn’t working). They had flushing loos. We then headed on to Stuart Mill Road, Centre Road and then turned into the West of England fire tower lookout. The views from here were just brilliant.

We had a group photo and then headed back the way we had come until we reached Upper Teddington Reservoir for lunch. There was no water in this section of the reservoir. When there was water, they used to have an anglers club for the local community. We even saw a couple of kangaroos, although Mike had a hard time convincing people that they were there. Finally Alan went down to investigate and flushed them out of hiding, thus vindicating Mike, who everyone thought he was finally going mad!

West of England Fire Tower

After lunch we headed to the Lower Teddington Reservoir which did happen to have some water in it. There was a small amount of wild life around the water which included spoonbills, pelicans and ducks. Mike and Alan went for a quick scout to see if there was a suitable track to connect up with the one we came in on. There was

14 | P a g e


not, so we hit the campground for a quick toilet stop and then the Sunraysia Hwy, where we could pick up the other end of Puddler Track where we had afternoon tea. We then proceeded along Diggers Track, Redbank- Barkley Road, Dead Mains Track, Camphouse Track, Jacky Willis Track, Bridle Track and Potter Track, Where Mike’s joke of Voldemort Rock fell like a lead balloon. Stick to your day job Mike! We then went down Tablelands Track which was a nice challenge for everyone. Stephen and Jamie stopped to collect firewood while everyone else returned to camp. We had a nice time again around the fire after dinner.

ANZAC Day (Monday): Stephen, Dale and Janelle left us in the morning after breakfast; we said our goodbyes before heading out for a morning of driving. The first track we hit was Bridle Track followed by Grumblers Track, Reservoir Road and Tablelands Track, where we checked out the old gold mines. Tablelands Loop Track, New England Track, Wrights Track and lastly Tableland Track before heading back to camp to pack up and start the journey home. Sandy and Alan headed off.

Descending Fraser Track

Jamie was staying another night but was looking for something a little more central to tracks. We escorted him to the Waterfall campground (on the eastern edge of the Pyrenees). Once there one is only 5 minutes from Fraser track and that couldn’t be left un-driven. A quick trip up that track, which then followed by a subsequent investigation of Old Bluff Track. That one could most definitely be left un-driven. Even Jamie didn’t want to go down that, so it was back down Fraser and goodbyes to Jamie.

15 | P a g e


T R IP S S U MMA RY Trip

Date

Leader(s)

Standard

Normal place, Next Meeting

Tuesday May 31

th

normal time……see you there!

Saturday 11th Licola to

Monday 13th

Jamison over

June (Queens

Mt Skene.

Birthday long

Mike Dale

Medium ■ (TBC)

weekend) Simpson Desert This Trip has reached

Dale Rebgetz17th July 2016

vice-

for 3 weeks

president@subaru

Medium ■

4wdvic.com.au

Convoy Limit. 11th Australian

19th – 22nd

4WD

August 2016

See you there

Gathering

16 | P a g e


40th

Saturday 24th

Anniversary

to Sunday 25th

Celebrations

September

Dave Wilson –

Saturday 29th Robe, SA

October to Tuesday 1

st

Lee Wegner & Duncan McCrae

Medium ■ (TBC)

November

Maldon Navigation

October

Martin Foot

Easy (TBC)

Run

17 | P a g e


Old Bluff Track – just about currently un-drivable Mike, Meredith, Peter, Edith, Paula and Charles stopped at Avoca for coffee and then it was home time. A big thanks to all who attended.

Attendees Mike and Meredith (Forester) Trip Leaders Peter and Edith (Pajero) Jamie (Toyota Landcruiser) Janelle and Dale (Forester) Stephen (Forester) Alan and Sandy (Prado) Charles and Paula (Prado)

18 | P a g e


BUY AND SELL Club Resources We have plenty of resources to sell. We may have many, some or none of the following items so if you are interested in any of these then please come along to the club meeting and I will be very happy to sell them to you. Correct change will be much appreciated. Short sleeve blue chambray shirt w/logo (Size 14) - $30.00 Long sleeve blue chambray shirt w/logo (Size M) - $60.00 New Style Red Polo Shirts (M, L, XL, 2XL) - $30.00 Hat Oiled Skin size 55 - $20.00 Hat Safari size 59 - $20.00 New Style Vest - $60.00 New Style Jacket - $70.00 Blue Polo Shirt - $15.00 Large Sew on Badges - $3.50 Small Sew on Badges - $2.00 Fuel Filter Plastic x 45deg. - $5.00 Fuel Filter Plastic x 90deg. - $5.00 Fuel Filter Plastic x Straight - $5.00 eFlare HZ510 Red with Base - $55.00 Wheel Nuts [Set of 4] - $1.60 CV Boot Clamps Large & Small - $3.00 CV Joint Grease - $4.00 MSP Engine Formulation (oil additive) - $50.00 For substantial discounts on all general automotive spare parts, oils, filters, shocks, etc., please see me for details. Resources Officer: Dale Rebgetz Email: resources@subaru4wdvic.com.au

Member Items for Sale Item: Forester Aluminium Bash Plates Details: made from 6.0mm construction grade aluminium Cost: $300 for club members, $330 for non-members. Fitting can be arranged. Contact: David Wilson, dw@subaru4wdvic.com.au, 0429 942 724

19 | P a g e


Item: Set of 4 alloy rims from Outback 1997 model Cost: $120.00 ONO Contact: David Wilson, dw@subaru4wdvic.com.au Item: Roof console to hold CB and lights and switches for Outback Cost: $100.00 Contact: David Wilson, dw@subaru4wdvic.com.au Item: 1991 Subaru Brumby GL, 1800 4WD Location: about 30Km west of Geelong Cost: $4000.00 negotiable, all offers welcome Contact: Darren Aitken, 0419 158 030 Details: Done 108,000km (km’s are original). A bit of history, 2 previous owners, one my father. I got it roadworthy and registered about Jan 2016, but want to sell unregistered etc. Goes well, but I think a cv joint now needs work.

Item: Vic blue and white standard number plates in as new condition 1XV4US Cost: $500.00 ONO Contact: Jenny, 0417369405

20 | P a g e


Item: number plate SUBARU Can be re-issued in any custom design via the Vic Roads website (see link below) if a different colour or style is preferred: https://www.vplates.com.au/index.php?page=customise-plate Cost: negotiable, but realistic offers between $3,500 to $6,000 Contact: Richard, 0414 737 333

Item: STi Intercooler. Details: Excellent condition, apart from slight dent on side (pictured). Came as spare parts when I purchased my 2007 Forester. Will fit most Turbo Subies. Cost: $250 Contact: dgreenall79@gmail.com

21 | P a g e


Item: STi Exhaust system Details: STi Exhaust system. Everything you need to give your Suby the perrrr it deserves! Very clean, no dents, minor scuffs, Stainless steel. Everything from the Manifold back to the chrome STi stamped tip!! Cost: Make me an offer!!! Contact: dgreenall79@gmail.com

Want to sell something Subaru/off-road related? Contact editor@subaru4wdvic.com.au The club makes this space available free of charge to members wishing to buy or sell items. Please note that the Motor Car Trader Regulations 1998-22(4) require that vehicles for sale advertisements must contain: (a) the cash price of the vehicle and; (b) the registration number if registered or the engine/chassis numbers if unregistered.

M IN U T E S General Meeting Minutes The general meeting of the Subaru 4WD Club of Victoria Inc was held on Tuesday, 26 April 2016 at the South Camberwell Tennis Club starting at 8:05pm.

1.

th

Present Dale Rebgetz, Meredith Dale, Michael Dale, Jamie Scott, Katie Mynard, Dennis Scambler, Anthony Saunders, Dave Denver, Les Scott, Peter Fullalove, Edith 22 | P a g e


Fullalove, Charles Tan, Paula Tan, Duncan McCrae, Bob Marshall, Peter Devine, Tim Folliard, Alan Christensen, Martin Foot, Jean Bellis, Peter Bellis, Angela Bombardieri, Julie Dyer, Stephen Whittaker, Paul Saleeba, Jessica Walsh, Bev Davison, Andy Santuccione, David Wilson, Rick Koster, Peter Landouris, Mike Dunn.

2.

Apologies Peter Mynard, Jan Crozier, Andrew Jantke, Lisa Jantke, Elaine Hyde, Lee Wagner, Ruth Marshall, Damian Stock.

3.

Visitors Ken Birch – Victorian High Country Huts Association, Kevin Bird, Les Ralph (former member), Richard Saleeba.

4.

Welcome A welcome was extended to all members and visitors.

5.

Minutes of the Previous General Meeting 5.1. The minutes of the April 2016 General Meeting were accepted without amendment after being moved by Meredith Dale and seconded by Katie Scambler. 5.2. There was no business arising from the minutes.

6.

Correspondence 6.1. In Cadbury chocolate fundraising. Membership enquiry. th Replies to expression of interest in regards to the Club’s 40 anniversary celebrations. 4WD Victoria – March general meeting minutes, and “clean-up the bush” at Wombat State Forest. 6.2. Out None.

7.

Reports 23 | P a g e


7.1. Resources Still have some club shirts available for members. 7.2. Editor No report submitted as Dan is currently in Hawaii on his honeymoon. Trip and Social

7.3. 7.4.

7.5. 7.6. 7.7. 7.8.

Details about future trip and social events elsewhere in the club’s magazine. Venue Details about future monthly meetings elsewhere in the club’s magazine. Membership. Membership contact list was circulated to members earlier in the month. Thank-you to those members who have informed me of details updates. Alan was presented with his membership name badge. Treasurer Current bank account balance is $5,644.16. Secretary Nothing to report. Vice-President Nothing to report. President Pleased with the growth in the club’s membership/member numbers over the past two years.

th

8.

Club’s 40 Anniversary Celebrations 8.1. Deposit for activity will be payable soon after the invitation is sent out.

9.

Membership Fees 9.1. The proposed membership fees for 2016/7 was presented to members.

Magazin e Levy

Trip Fee (adult nonmember )

Membershi p Subscriptio n

Associatio n Levy

TOTAL

Single

$70

$50

$120

$15

-$10

$20

$15

Family / Joint

$90

$50

$140

$30

-$15

$20

-

Interstate

$60

$50

$110

$15

-$5

$20

-

Membershi p Type

Joini ng Fee

Senior’s Discoun t

(opt-in)

24 | P a g e


After some questions and comments on the proposed fees, particularly in regards to the opt-in printed magazine levy, a motion to accept the proposed fees was moved by Peter Bellis and seconded by ??. The meeting unanimously accepted the motion.

10. General Business 10.1. Chocolate fund raising – still have three boxes available for sale. Also, waiting on some monies to be returned. 10.2. Old batteries fund raising – have received a large collection recently courtesy Jean’s family farm. The battery collection will run through to the end of June. 10.3. Camping store equipment is up for sale in Mildura via Grey’s Online. 10.4. Yokohomo – is offering a good deal on certain tyres. 10.5. Convoy limits – are being implemented where the trip requirements demand it. 10.6. 4x4 insurance – through Affinity Insurance.

11. Fines and Fun 11.1. Nametags Jamie Scott, Bev Davison, Les Scott. 11.2. Last to Meeting Peter Landouris 11.3. Trips 11.3.1. Disputed Border Peter – hitting the table whilst backing into the tent. Michael H – for leaving his screen for his drone in his car. Jamie – for scaring a boy with his air horn. Caden – still in bed Sunday morning when everyone was ready to leave. Les – for not telling us his birthday was the previous day. Jamie – for not telling us about Les’s birthday. Jamie – for throwing a snail shell at Les. Jean – for not know which car she was travelling in – mistook a red Forester for the usual green one. Peter B – for his steering wheel coming off. Rick – for a broken front spring. Peter B, Michael H and Jamie – for not stopping at intersections Alan – for damaging his car when backing out of a deep rut. Peter B, Rick, Mike, Jamie and Peter F – having more than one go to get up a sand dune. Meredith – for losing the tent poles, which were in the bag. Jean – getting her left and right mixed up. 25 | P a g e


Peter B – for backing into a post. Les – backing into a tree. Rick – breaking his rear strut. Les – having problems filling out the park permit. Peter and Jean – for placing tumble weeds on the track for Michael H to run over. Tim – for vacuum hose disconnecting from carburettor. 11.3.2. Kara Kara Deferred to the May meeting. 11.4. Total fines collected - $20.15.

12. Guest Speaker / Presentation Ken Birch from Victorian High Country Huts Association gave a very informative and entertaining presentation about the huts in the Victorian high country.

13. The Lucky door prize was won by Dave Denver.

st

14. The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 331 May 2016 commencing at 8pm.

15. Meeting closed at 10:00pm and was followed by supper.

Committee Meeting Minutes Minutes of the meeting of the committee of the Subaru 4WD Club of Victoria Inc held th on Saturday 7 May 2016 at the home of Jamie Scott starting at 10:15pm.

1.

Present Jamie Scott, Dale Rebgetz, Bob Marshall, Michael Dale, Meredith Dale, Peter Bellis, Jean Bellis, Stephen Whittaker, Dan Conlon.

2.

Apologies Duncan McCrae.

26 | P a g e


3.

Quorum A quorum was achieved with nine committee members present.

4.

Minutes of the Previous Meeting 4.1. Minutes of the May 2016 committee meeting were accepted without amendment.

4.2. Business Arising from the Minutes and Outstanding Actions 4.2.1. Bank account signatories. 4.2.2. Ongoing 4WD Education / Awareness 4.2.3. Request for advertising in club’s magazine by AllDrive Subaroo.

5.

Correspondence 5.1. In 4WD Victoria – eNews for May 2016. 4WD Victoria – volunteering feedback. Damian Stock – printed magazine levy comment. 5.2. Out th Members – request for photographs for 40 anniversary book.

6.

Reports 6.1. Resources Sold three club polo shirts at the last meeting. Need to recirculate the club clothing order form to members. Club caps – able to get caps with a LED light in the brim and with the th club logo printed on for $25. May offer it as a 40 anniversary option th with a 40 anniversary logo. Need to confirm ordering size and logo options. 6.2. Trip and Social Details pf future trip and social events elsewhere in the magazine. Need to offer some more day trips with a variety of standards, particularly as we have a number of new members. Need to start offering multiple trips of varying standards at the same time due to people missing out on trips and convoy limits. This will help maximise members’ participation. Trips are filling up very quickly but then having various people pulling out later. Members need to be encouraged to email the trip leader to be added to a waiting list. Also, trip leaders’ mobile phone details needs to be added to the details in the magazine. “Christmas in July” – do we still have one this year? Jean indicated that Peter and her wanted this year off. However, some members are 27 | P a g e


enquiring about it. Is someone else willing to run it or do we look at a restaurant? The committee agreed to further investigate. Need a few more social events – navigation run, city lane walk, chocolate walk, bike ride. Long term planning – have a good number of longer duration trips over the next few years in the pipeline. 6.3. Venue Details of future monthly meetings elsewhere in the magazine. Had a reply from Ken Birch regarding huts. Sofia’s – have made a tentative booking for 15 to 20. Following up on a few other possibilities, including Rob Pepper, CB antennas, etc. Stephen has compiled draft letter to go to potential donors of goods to the club. Need a “member” night where more experienced members offer suggestions to newer members regarding food/cooking/packing for trips. Or do it as part of a day trip. At last month’s meeting, had 36 attendees. Averaging 32 so far this club year. 6.4. Membership Membership renewal notices have been sent out to members. Membership applications. Have received two membership applications. The applications were reviewed by the committee.

RESOLUTION

The committee resolved to accept the membership application from Richard Saleeba.

RESOLUTION

The committee resolved to accept the membership application from Kevin and Vickie Bird.

6.5. Editor Nothing to report (enjoyed Hawaii). th This month’s editorial deadline is Tuesday 17 May 2016. 6.6. Treasurer Current bank account balance is $5,644.16. 6.7. Secretary Nothing to report. 6.8. Vice-President The club has successfully established a critical mass in the past few years. This have been driven by a number of members actively running 28 | P a g e


trips, and the club’s presence on the internet through its web page and Facebook presence. 6.9. President Nothing to report.

7.

Sub-Committees 7.1. Communications Nothing to report. 7.2. Community Involvement Camp Host – should the club be involved again (we were a few years ago down at the Otways)? Need to follow up with 4WD Victoria. 7.3. Constitution Review A number of draft By-Laws were presented to the meeting. Identification with the Club Committee accepted the draft proposal. General Conduct Discussion was included with convoy travel. Convoy Travel The two draft proposals were reviewed and discussed. The committee agreed with proposal tabled by Dale, with some modifications, and some inclusions from the old convoy by-law. The revised proposal will be circulated to members for comment. Pending the feedback, the revised proposal will be put forward to the committee at the June meeting for adoption. Camp Etiquette It was proposed that a by-law be formulated covering camp etiquette. Dale offered to put together the draft proposal. 7.4. Education / Training 4WD driving training is occurring next weekend. Will hold another course later in the year.

8.

40 Birthday Celebrations Struggling to find suitable accommodation in and around Echuca for the weekend. A request has been sent for photographs of club activities over the years. Anniversary memorabilia – need to compile and circulate a list to members to get an expression of interest. Will use the club’s logo that includes the muddy tracks.

9.

Membership Register Need to progress the changes.

th

10. New Member Pack 29 | P a g e


Dan has offered to put together the booklet. Meredith to follow up with a dealership for a handout to include in the “showbag”.

11. Club Trophies/Awards Some trophies need to be modified as they have run out of space to add new nametags. Action: Jean to follow up. Should the club have any additional awards? Should they be annual / determined by the members or committee? The committee decided that any additional awards be at the discretion of the committee and handed out with the annual awards.

12. General Business 4WD club iconic 4WD trips – 4WD Victoria is seeking suggestions. Club Christmas party - some suggestions were put forward. Will need to investigate further.

th

13. Next Meeting will be held on Tuesday 7 June 2016 at 7:30pm at the home of Jean Bellis.

14. Meeting closed at 3:53pm.

30 | P a g e


E DIT OR N OT E S Thanks for all the contributions again this month!

Just a couple of things from me: Any interesting articles you find and want to share, or if you would like to write an article for the magazine ‌.let me know! Just a friendly reminder also to please proof read, and be sure to use punctuation and grammar. The deadline for submissions for next month is:

June – Tuesday 14th As always please send emails to: editor@subaru4wdvic.com.au

31 | P a g e


32 | P a g e

Subaru 4WD Club of Victoria - May 2016 magazine online version  
Subaru 4WD Club of Victoria - May 2016 magazine online version  

The monthly magazine of the Subaru 4WD Club of Victoria, Inc. online version for May 2016

Advertisement