A museum for Zug The first floor of the lovingly restored building will house a small jewellery museum, with occasional themed exhibitions. «We want to open our doors to everyone,» says Eva Lohri. She is responsible for the Unforgettable Jewels collection – period jewellery from 1780 to 1950. In Switzerland and beyond, shops that have such a special range of jewellery and gemstones are few and far between. Zug, with its history and traditions as a town of goldsmiths and silversmiths, is the perfect setting.
«THE RENOVATION HAS CREATED A HARMONIOUS MASTERPIECE IN THE ORIGINAL EMPIRE STYLE.»
«We have established a wedding room on the second floor for couples looking forward to their wedding,» says the shop’s new manager, Nadya Alessandri. «We have a choice of wedding rings, of course, but also solitaires, earrings and all the jewellery needed to grace a wedding.» The perfect setting for a perfect range.
The history of the Lohri house 1620 The property is owned by Johann Jakob I. Muos, goldsmith, cantonal Grand Council member, treasurer and Governor of Cham. 1640 Johann Jakob Muos’s son of the same name takes over the property. He is also a goldsmith, treasurer and captain in the armed services abroad. In 1650 he is declared bankrupt, leaves Zug and dies in Florence. 1688 The Reverend Johann Oswald Meyenberg sells the house belonging to his brother, the late Hans Kaspar Meyenberg, to Beat Thoman Stocklin for 1,250 gulden. 1704 Lawyer and cantonal Grand Council member Karl Anton Letter is the new owner. He inherits the house from his father-in-law Beat Thoman Stocklin. 1754 Plazid Anton Letter, cantonal council member, becomes the owner of his grandparents’ house. 1770 Franz Michael Spillmann, silversmith, takes over the building. He comes from a renowned family of goldsmiths. 1805 Spillmann’s son, Karl Amade, is Zug’s last significant silversmith. He has the Empire style building (now Neugasse 25/27) built on the original vaulted ground floor. The master builder is Melchior Schellhammer. 1856 Karl Joseph Spillmann acquires part of his father’s property, the building at Neugasse 27. He is a goldsmith and administrator for the poor and orphans, as well as President of the Town Council. 1867 The twin property is sold to the senior civil servant and mortgage administrator Georg Nussbaumer-Schäll from Oberägeri. He sells Neugasse 25 to his sisters. 1885 Examining judge Johann Martin Christian II. Kaiser im Hof-Brandenberg acquires the property at Neugasse 27. He is a cousin of Karl Joseph Spillmann and transfers the house to his son Joseph Kaiser im Hof, goldsmith and silversmith. He uses it for both commercial and residential purposes. Kaiser served his apprenticeship in Horgen and spent his period as a journeyman in Pforzheim and Paris. 1921 Walter Kaiser takes over his father’s business. He served his apprenticeship in Zurich and studied at the Schwäbisch Gmund School for the Precious Metals Industry. He later worked in Chur, Geneva and Paris. 1952 After Joseph Kaiser’s retirement, goldsmith Max Bossart works at Neugasse 27. 1992 Goldsmith Hansruedi Wassmann works on the premises. 2016 Reopened as the Lohri chronometrie and joaillerie.
Lohri Joaillerie Uhren &Schmuck 2016