Page 16

FEATURE ARTICLE

Ta o

.I e ale • Kit No. 03.0 . 033

The PVC pipe cut at an appropriate angle. This was to add some drama rather than a dead flat base.

The damaged rear tail assembly. Takom did a great job here, the unit is very nicely detailed.

B creamy resin couldn’t be seen

through an open hatch or hole. This was followed by my customary practice of an airbrushed coat of Tamiya Liquid Surface Primer diluted with Tamiya’s own lacquer thinners to seal in the photoetch and other materials while also providing a decent primer for the subsequent camouflage painting. There has been a considerable amount of research over the years as to the exact colours and camouflage schemes exhibited by these primitive vehicles. The vehicles within “D” company appear to exhibit examples of the well-known exotic Solomon scheme (designed by the artist Solomon J. Solomon) however in certain images the camo scheme appears to show some sections also bordered by black bands. As no period colour images exist of the scheme, apart from personal accounts and coloured black & white interpretations I decided to use most of the mentioned colours, these being hues of Ochre, Iguana Green, Grey and a Mottled Brown bordered by the black bands. A decent AWM photograph of D9’s sister tank D17 “Dinnaken”

All the Diorama elements test fitted to the base.

Anyone for pie? The base prior to the pigment treatment.

was used as a reference for the colour segment placement. Some pre-shading was applied to certain areas with Tamiya XF-69 NATO Black. The light grey was easy enough to apply as an overall airbrushed layer of XF-66 Light Grey, with highlights of XF-80 Royal Light Grey. Next up were the main camouflage colours. I did mull over how to go about doing this for some time, as usually I would refrain from trying to hand paint AFVs. In this instance, I couldn’t really see how I could avoid it. So, out came the Vallejo Air range and the trusty paint brushes. After lightly drawing the camo splotch scheme outline with a pencil it was then just a matter of “paint by numbers”. As the lightest colour, Vallejo Air Yellow Ochre was applied by a decent brush in several thin coats. The splotches were then carefully filled in with the same colour applied via airbrush. Next was Russian Green followed by Rust, this simulating the other colour shades mentioned in period accounts. Once all the colours where touched up here and there

The filler and pigments used on the diorama base.

with the airbrush, it was time to seal it all in with a coat of Tamiya clear.

DECALS ON The decals were a simple affair. As the early Mk.I’s had few markings, some generic Archer Dry Transfer numbers and letters were used for the D9’s. Some slightly larger font letters were found and used for the Dolly nickname on the front plate.

WEATHERING BEGINS An overall pin wash around all raised details and recessed lines kicked off the weathering stage. Mig AMMO’s Africa Korps Wash (MIG-1001) is a handy product for this task. Different shades of Mig Abt.502 and Windsor & Newton oils were used to create worn areas and general discoloration to the underlying paintwork. White, Black, Yellow Ochre, Burnt Sienna, Raw Umber and Olive Green were all used to simulate wear and tear. The oils were blended in and manipulated with a fine brush dampened with white spirit to form scuffing, scratches and the like. On areas where some dust or dirt were required, different shades

of earth coloured Mig pigments were either stippled on dry or built up and fixed with AK’s Pigment Fixer (AK 048). The lower hull had a decent layer of pigments applied and sealed in with fixer, as did the top of the sponsons where dirt and muck would be thrown thanks to the tracks. When the pigments were totally dry, dark heavily thinned oils were flicked onto the dirt areas by using a worn out brush. This gave a more realistic appearance and added some tonal variation. To seal in all the previous weathering and give the vehicle a nice dull finish it required several coats of AK Ultra Matte Varnish thinned with AK’s own acrylic thinners.

WEATHERING TRACKS The track runs received an airbrushed base coat of a mix of Tamiya’s X-18 Semi-Gloss Black and Gunze H406 Chocolate Brown. The tracks then received a decent layer of earth coloured pigments. I created various effects by making up a batch of light, medium and dark shade of pigments to vary the dried mud/dirt effects on

16 Model Military International - December 2016

p 12-21 MarkIGerman 128B.indd 16

13/10/2016 10:52

Profile for meta3106

mmi.128.2016  

mmi.128.2016  

Profile for meta3106
Advertisement