Page 15

FINISHING STEPS

Another view of the completed Mk.1. Note the damaged rear steering tail.

To finish off the building stages, the rear steering tail wheel assembly was build up as per the instructions. Due to the size limitations of the diorama base and the fact the tail assembly would stick out of the diorama’s side I decided to simulate the tailwheel assembly as being badly damaged by shellfire, as this was a widely reported occurrence. The rear Hydraulic ram used by the Mk.I to lift and lower the tail had its protective shield left off, as these too were not used in the earlier Flers battles. As per an excellent 3D image rendering available on the Landships II website I used brass rod to add the various hydraulic piping to the ram assembly. This adds necessary detail to the area and makes it look a little busier. The external fittings and hatches were also added at this stage.

VEHICLE SPECIFIC

Tamiya Liquid Surface Primer was thinned with lacquer thinners and applied via airbrush.

Ochre Splotches on.

One feature of knocked-out MK.Is is that because of the limited ballistic durability of the primitive armour most pictures depict the plating as to have shattered, rather than bend or have clean holes when struck by shell fire. D9’s commander Huffam reported that prior to the crew evacuating the vehicle D9 was struck on the left hand side sponson by shell fire and several holes became evident, followed by a heavy blow to the main body of the vehicle. As no known photographs exist of D9 in this condition I felt I was allowed a little artistic licence, so I set to work simulating shell fire damage by drilling a series of small holes and working the area with a sharp knife. The idea was to simulate the shattered and cracking armour so easily seen on D9’s sister tanks knocked out in the Flers battles. On the right hand side of the vehicle I simulated a larger impact, with the side plating’s underlying support strip shown minus its rivets and slightly buckled. At this point Takom’s Mk.I was largely complete and ready for paint. I must say I was a little apprehensive when I first cracked open the Mk.I’s box, but I can honestly say it was an enjoyable and speedy build from start to finish, with nothing being out of the ordinary for the modeller.

PAINTING BEGINS The Solomon scheme complete. It’s all very bright at this stage, however with the weathering to commence the colours will be toned down somewhat.

The painting stage of the build began on the inside areas of the MK.I with a coat of Tamiya Flat Black so the grey plastic and A December 2016 - Model Military International 15

p 12-21 MarkIGerman 128B.indd 15

13/10/2016 10:51

Profile for meta3106

mmi.128.2016  

mmi.128.2016  

Profile for meta3106
Advertisement