Contact information: Director: Kimmo Puosi GSM 044 724 6440 firstname.lastname@example.org
The Merikarvia River begins from the north end of Isoj채rvi and flows into the Bothnian Sea from Merikarvia. The length of the river is approximately 27 kilometres, the drop height to the sea level is 35 meters and the average flow rate is ca 15 m3/sec.
There are about 6 kilometres of rapids and streams in the area. Migrating fish have a clear route upstream from the sea for the entire length of the river.
KALAKIERROS Responsibility for managing the Merikarvia Riverâ€™s fisheries and the fish stock care, as well as the rest areas, waste management and the wood, etc. lies on the Merikarvia Riverâ€™s Kalakierros, a non-profit association formed in early 1990s by three co-partner
communes. All revenues from the fishing permits are used for improvement of the fish resources and maintenance of the fishing grounds.
FISH RESOURCES Thanks to the hard work of many years of upkeep of the fishing waters, it was possible to return the natural increase of salmon and sea trout back to the Merikarvia River. The migrating fish living conditions have improved through the rehabilitation of rapids, improved water quality, abundant young fish introductions and a voluntary wide net-fishing ban in the mouth of the river. The upkeep work of the fishing waters will continue in the Merikarvia River and the 6
future goal is to make the river even better river for migrating fish. The fishing regulations and the minimum sizes of the fish can be found at the web address merikarvianjoki.ďŹ
Illustrations: Pete-Jukka Rinteel채
SALMON & TROUT 1. 3. 2.
1. Salmon’s upper jaw extends only to the level of the rear edge of the eye, while that of the trout goes behind the rear edge of the eye. 2. Salmon’s spots are mainly just above the lateral line, but the trout’s spots continue below the lateral line. 3. Salmon’s tail stem is slenderer than the trout’s. 8
4. Salmon’s caudal fin notch is usually more obvious than the trout’s, whose rear edge of the caudal fin is almost straight. (salmon has a notch, trout has it straight) 5. On the female’s lower jaw there is no so-called “hook jaw”, while the males have it very clearly.
6. 6. Kelt is the fish (salmon or trout) that spawned in autumn and remained in the river for the winter. They are thin and their head is big in comparison to the body. They are in the river only in spring. Kelts are very important for the fish resources as it has
already at least once spawned in the river and will go back up the river for spawning in 1â€“2 years.
THIS WAY YOU CAN IDENTIFY STOCKED TROUT AND SALMON The adipose fin of young salmon and trout stocked in the Merikarvia River is clipped. Adipose fin could be clipped completely or partially.
The trout with clipped adipose fin.
RELEASING THE FISH
• Avoid unnecessary lifting and dangling the fish. • Treat the fish with wet hands and remove the lure the fish being in water if possible. • Revive the fish before you release it.
• Hold the fish by the tail and under abdomen. • Keep the fish under the water with head upstream until the fish starts off moving. • Barbless hook makes it easier to release the fish. 13
Tips for fishers:
For salmon and trout: Strong profiled salmon flies. When the water is cooling they can be relatively large. The best colours for the flies are black, red, yellow, orange and brown. One of the most popular flies is Phatagorva. 14
For rainbow trout: In particular, leeches and blackred or orange-red colours. From smaller flies pupas, larvae, etc. of green olive colour.
LURES As wobblers, 3–7 cm long salmon and trout wobblers are functional. Comfortable lures are also small spinners and spoons, like Bete Lotto and Kuusamon Räsänen. Special flies thrown with spinning rods have also been proven to work for trout, salmon and rainbow trout. Also for lures, the effective colours are black, red, yellow and orange. 15
BE GENTLEMAN ALSO WHEN FISHING
- Note the others; wait for your fishing turn. - If there are fishers on the river, start from the upstream side. - When fishing, move smoothly in the downstream direction. - 2 throws and 2 steps is a suitable rhythm. - Throw downstream if another fisherman is coming from upstream. - Keep the places clean and use the waste bins in the rest areas. - Use the firewood sparingly. - Leave the places in such condition where you would like to return yourself!
FIREPLACE TABLE PARKING FISHING NOT ALLOWED TOILET SUITABLE FISHING PLACE FOR PEOPLE WITH REDUCED MOBILITY FISHING LICENCES ACCOMONDATIONS:
Merimökki, 044 212 0108 Merikievari, 02 529 2929 Mericamping, 0400 719 589 Eumer, 044-560 3120 Joenrantamökki Alakylässä, 050 361 4870 Jokimökki Purupakassa, 040 561 4580 Purolomien jokimökit Alakylässä, 041 466 6774 Holmankosken Perhotupa, 040 517 9111 Onnelan Ranta, 040 556 1819 Mökki Tikkaluodossa Alakylässä, 0400 892 627 Merijukola, 0400 596 286 Mökkisaari Ourassa, 050 4617 204 Niittyniemen lomamökit, 0400 393 285 Joenrantamökki Tuorilassa, 050 412 6058 Merenrantahuvila Kasalassa, 040 415 0768 Merenrantamökki Lankosluodossa, 0500 197 393 Merenrantamökki Köörtilässä, 0500 182 779 Merenrantamökki Tyrnimaa, 0500 593 601 Merenrantamökki Lankosluodossa, 044 567 1200 Lohi-Mökit, 02 5513 182 Vanha-Heikkilän majatalo, 050 533 7836 Rauhanlaakson Kestikartano, 0400 318 398 Kortteeri Oiva, Köffi 02 551 4191 Lankosken Onnela, 040 556 1819 Matkakoti Salminen, 02 5513 210 Riverside Nature Oy, 0400-214 626 Koivuniemen Herra, 02 5511 663 Mäkipuron saarihuvila Ourassa, 041 466 6774 Mökki Krookassa, 050 597 3590
CENTRE OF MERIKARVIA
STÄÄVIT HOLMANKOSKI VAADIT R-KIOSKI
PIINUKOSKI SALMELANKOSKI Ran tatie
VIEWPOINT JOKISUU RESTING PLACE NET FREE ZONE
TO MERI-PORI 19
SEO SERVICE STATION
ALAKYLÄ 6 St rik an tie
LANKOSKI Fishing area ends.
Welcome to fishing at the Merikarvia River!