BA (Hons.) GRAPHIC DESIGN
CONTEXT OF PRACTICE
END OF MODULE SELF-EVALUATION NAME MELISSA HARDCASTLE
1. What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them? I believe that I have developed my skills in the areas of both research and analysis through this module and feel as though I have applied them during both studio briefs. I feel as though my skills in terms of contextualising and understanding have also developed and enabled me to write an essay in response to studio brief 1 that addresses the themes I found to be most interesting when studying context of practice this year. My understanding of the theoretical side of this module has contributed towards my inspiration and when coming up with a concept for my practical work also
2. What approaches to/methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process? I feel as though my digital design work and approach to producing digital illustrations has developed during this module. Digitally illustrating is not an area, which I have had a vast amount of experience in and therefore found it extremely beneficial to include these methods when completing work for the second studio brief. Also designing for print has informed a lot of my decisions when producing work for the second studio brief as the decisions as to which stock, size and format are ones that must be made early enough to allow you to progress as you move through your work.
3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these? One strength in particular that I can identify in my work is how my personal interest in the subject matter and topics has transcended and inspired my work and writing. I feel as though I have achieved a level of synergy between both my written and practical pieces for this module which is something I will definitely be aiming to capitalise on in up and coming projects and in particular when it comes to COP3. This module has been the one that I have enjoyed working on most this year and I view this as strength as it has ensured level of interest and motivation throughout the duration of the module.
4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future? A weakness that I can identify in my work is perhaps the quantity of work I produced for my practical piece. Despite the purpose of the brief being to produce a supporting piece of work that channels the same influences and themes as my essay, I feel as though had I have begun work on the practical brief earlier, It may have been possible to expand on my ideas and develop concepts further. However I am happy with the work itself, I would have liked to have been able to produce one or two more of the posters that explored the different ideas that I had. A weakness that I can identify in my work for the first studio brief would be that I could have included more sources and perhaps more quotes that could have provided further support in my writing.
5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these? Give more thought to the practical element at an earlier stage to allow my thoughts to go through the process of change and progress as my knowledge of contextual studies expands. Explore the possibility of producing practical work in an entirely different format/collateral. Begin writing my essay as soon as I am inspired or intrigued by an idea. Include a balanced account of sources including more literature. Perhaps try to in-cooperate some primary research to provide a more substantial foundation to begin working from.
6.How would you grade yourself on the following areas: (please indicate using an â€˜xâ€™) 5= excellent, 4 = very good, 3 = good, 2 = average, 1 = poor 1
Attendance X Punctuality X Motivation X Commitment X Quantity of work produced X Quality of work produced X Contribution to the group X The evaluation of your work is an important part of the assessment criteria and represents a percentage of the overall grade. It is essential that you give yourself enough time to complete your written evaluation fully and with appropriate depth and level of self-reflection. If you have any questions relating to the self evaluation process speak to a member of staff as soon as possible.