Syracuse Works: Student Visions for the City of Syracuse Through the study of the urban built environment, both in Syracuse and travel to Medellin, Colombia, this project explores examples of insertion, sensitive to context, needs of the user, and creative use of space. Situated in the Near Westside neighborhood of Syracuse, the Urban Salvage Park is a place to find new purpose for goods, provide an environment created from recycled materials, and provide jobs and training for residents of the Near Westside neighborhood.
t tree tte S
eet West Str
S. Geddes Street
S. Clinton Street
aye W. F
zones of the Near Westside neighborhood
repair / classrooms
overlap of zones point of connection site of intervention arts center WCNY tv station
Syracuse public housing
urban salvage park
Site of Insertion (Lincoln Supply Co.) creates connection between formality of NWSI proposed programs and the current community
URBAN SALVAGE PARK Through the study of the urban built environment, both in Syracuse and travel to Medellin, Colombia, this project explores examples of insertion, sensitive to context, needs of the user, and creative use of space. Situated in the Near Westside neighborhood of Syracuse, the Urban Salvage environment created from recycled materials, and provide jobs and training for residents of the Near Westside neighborhood.
etymology: french dĂŠbris, from middle french, from debriser to break to pieces date: 1708
3. any similar rubbish fotrmed by destructive operations
Project Title \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ Urban Salvage Park Project Address \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ 321 Wyoming Street | Syracuse, New York 13204 Project Types \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ Project Program \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ Recycling Center, Job Training, Urban Park Designer \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ Date \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ Urban Design Studio, Prof. Francisco Sanin
repair / classrooms
CAPTAIN DAVIS HOUSE - CUSHING, MAINE Larry Bowne Architects The project, currently under construction, largely consists of interior renovations to the primary residence of an 18-acre estate on the central coast of Maine, as well as minor site improvements. The existing dwelling, a salt farm first developed by Captain Davis in 1851, sits prominently on the site. The building, clad in white clapboard, was sensitively modified over several decades by the previous owner, an architect based in Boston, MA. The house, like many of its New England peers, stretches north/south, minimizing exposures to the harsh Maine winters while maximizing cross-ventilation of east/west breezes in the summer. The renovation guts the 1851 floors of the house, opening the faรงade toward the sea at the south. New windows and doors respect the existing axes and proportions, as they create a dramatic new faรงade. Inside, a new kitchen and bath frame new living areas, creating a subtle flow of programmed spaces that respond to the auspicious landscape. At the north end of the house, a painting studio is repurposed as a master suite, completely reimagining the volumes without altering their contours. Throughout, a minimal palette of stone, tile and paint subtly respond to sea and sky.
survey topography at 6” intervals survey topography at 12” intervals
no survey required
SCALE: 1/32” = 1’-0”
TOP: Boat houseâ€™s simple geometry translates to the design ABOVE: Floor plans for transformed residence LEFT: South faĂ§ade
2'-9 1/2" (VERIFY IN FIELD)
1'-4 3/4" (VERIFY IN FIELD)
GUEST BATH BUILT-IN PLAN SCALE: 1 1/2" = 1'-0"
GUEST BATH BUILT-IN ELEVATION SCALE: 1 1/2" = 1'-0"