CHRISTMAS GIFT IDEAS NEWS ★ SHOWBIZ ★ LIFESTYLE ★ TRAVEL ★ FEATURES ★ BARGAINS ★ SPORT
Observer DOUBLE UP STATE EDITION Vol 44 No 1496 SERVING VICTORIA SINCE 1969
Ph 1-800 231 311 Fx 1-800 231 312
MY ADDRESS BOOK Page 25
WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 21, 2012
GIANT X-WORD INSIDE $2.95
20% OFF & FREE GUTTER CLEAN* Turn To Page 16
Rupertswood Mansion ‘Birthplace of The Ashes’
LOCAL THEATRE LATEST
3 Macedon St Sunbury 9740 5020 www.rupertswood.com
Turn To Page 30
Seamark On First 29 First Ave, Mooloolaba, Qld 4557
Phone: (07) 5457 8600 Fax: (07) 5457 8699 Contact: Greg and Viv McKay Web: www.seamarkresort.com.au
Turn To Page 34
Glen Huntly, Heidelberg & Mitcham! 1800 819 936 ISSN 1447 4611
■ Nicki Wendt (left) met Nicki Wendt (right) at a end-of-Spring party held this week by Crown Melbourne’s Natasha Stipanov. Both women of the same name were at Rokeby Studios in Collingwood for the exclusive chicken and French champagne party. More pictures on Page 11.
Turn To Page 48
IVANHOE CYCLES SPEND THIS SUMMER ON TWO WHEELS
9490 5213 ivanhoecycles.com.au * See our ad on Page 2
Mattresses Galore Cnr High St & Tooronga Rd, Malvern, 3144 Phone: (03) 9822 9057. Fax: (03) 9822 9821 www.mattressesgalore.com.au firstname.lastname@example.org
See Page 15
Turn To Page 5 Turn To Page 13
THE GREATEST CHRISTMAS GIFT OF ALL! A book about your life
Currumbin Sands Apartments
Printed before Christmas Order your book for Christmas and receive a free CD of your story
MEMOIRS FOUNDATION 9888 9588
PHONE 0418 883 335 Phone for details
www.gourmethamper.com.au Phone: 1-800 449 295 PHONE (07) 5525 5000. TURN TO PAGE 35
See Page 46
MUSIC THEATRE GUILD AWARD NOMINATIONS - PAGE 47
Page 2 - Melbourne Observer - Wednesday, November 21, 2012
Melbourne Observer - Wednesday, November 21, 2012 - Page 3
The hottest news about Melbourne’s A-listers
The Buzz On your bike, Sunshine Henry’s 80th
● Henry Gay ■ Former Melbourne radio man Henry Gay celebrated his 80th birthday at Hervey Bay, Queensland, on Friday. Long-time friend Keith McGowan writes: “In 1957 Henry Gay and I had a meal in the Chinese restaurant just up from 3UZ in Bourke St where we both worked. “I had something called Chicken Chow Mien. It was the first time I had been in a Chinese restaurant and eaten a Chinese meal. “Today (Friday) Henry Gay turned 80. Henry and Maureen, Jim and Regina Murphy, and Angela and I had a meal at the ‘China Pearl’ in Hervey Bay. I ordered Chicken Chow Mien.”
● Derryn Hinch
■ Radio-TV commentator Derryn Hinch was at the Dallas Brooks Centre, East Melbourne, yesterday (Tues.) to take part in bicycle presentations to disadvantaged children. Freemasons Victoria Grand Master Bob Jones was also on hand to support of Variety’s Bikes 4 Kids program. In their fourth year of involvement in the project, the Freemasons donated 100 bicycles. More than 1000 bikes will be given away in presentations across Victoria.
Under The Clocks Julie is a knockout with Mike Tyson
SURVIVORS MEET PHOTO: FACEBOOK
● Julie Kiriacoudis with Mike Tyson ■ Melbourne press photographer Julie Kiriacoudis, who enjoys boxing as a hobby, was pictured this week with Mike Tyson, as part of his Australian tour. Observers noted Mark ‘Chopper’ Reid at the event. One man without ears, meeting another with a penchant for chewing them.
● Darren Fishman with Suzanne Carbone ■ Melbourne man Darren Fishman was surrounded by friends on Saturday for a special birthday celebration. Spotted at the party were Daniella Balscheit, Suzanne Carbone, John Parker and Erin Jameson.
● Ron Tudor and Ralphe Rickman ■ The Survivors group of show business veterans gathered this week for their twice-yearly luncheon at the Rising Sun Hotel, South Melbourne. Recording industry icon Ron Tudor was at the first meeting held in Bert Newton’s GTV-9 caravan all those years ago, with John Proper. Tudor, famous for his Fable label, feels that at 88 he is getting too old for the job of Chairman, and wants to hand it over to a younger man, Bob Horsfall, 86. If ever they need help, there are some more junior members such as radio man Ralphe Rickman, 78, who flew in from the Sunshine Coast for the get-together. ● More photos, Page 51 ● Bob Horsfall
■ The Seekers are producing some new video clips to celebrate their 50th anniversary. Melbourne producer Frank Howson has been working on the clips with Keith Potger, Bruce Woodley, Judith Durham and Athol Guy. The clips, which feature In My Life and Silver Threads And Golden Needles have been directed by Frank Howson, and photographed by Gary Robertson and Vanessa Allan. Co-editor has been Gary Robertson, with make-up by Jose Luis Perez. It was shot on location at Premier Studios and Fad Gallery in Chinatown.
Melbourne Moments ● The Seekers
Roni in Vietnam
● Kyneton’s Roni Wildboer in Vietnam
■ Kyneton fundraiser Roni Wildboer is in Vietnam at her own expense, doing good works in Ho Chi Minh City (Saqigon) as part of the Artists For Orphans organisation. With Ros Bradbury, Roni visited Than Xuan Peace Village in Hanoi, and visited three more institutions in the Ba Vi District which is 1½ hours from Hanoi, and took a bus to Hai Phong Orphanage. Artists For Orphans has pledged at least three months worth of life saving medications at the Go Vap Orphanage.
On the radio
● Sam Butler Photo: Catherine Chadwick
■ Trinity Grammar School Year 12 student Sam Butler was part of the 3WBC 94.1 FM outside broadcast from Kew hosted by his father Neil Butler and Peter Cassidy. Trinity Principal Rick Tudor was a guest on the program, as was Michael Pettolino, who is Deputy Headmaster of the Junior School. 3WBC is based at the Box Hill Town Hall Hub.
What’s On In Melbourne
Ronan Keating will be on tour in March, with Brian McFadden ★ apearing as special guest. The Fires Live 2013 tour will take them to Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth. Tickets go on sale on Monday, November 26, says publicist Angela Cebefrano. And maximising The X Factor publicity angle, Guy Sebastian has announced his Australian tour. The Get Along tour will take Guy to Perth, Melbourne, Brisbane, Sydney and Adelaide. Tickets go on sale Tuesday (Nov. 27). Fifi Box, co-host of the Fifi and Jules Show on Fox 101.9, is pregnant. Box announced the news on Monday. Her partner prefers to stay out of the public eye.
Page 4 - Melbourne Observer - Wednesday, November 21, 2012
Mark Richardson ♥ Straight from the heart
WORLD’S MOST DANCEABLE CITY
■ Twenty years ago, actors Paul Mercurio, Bill Hunter, Tara Morice, Barry Otto and Pat Thompson captured the nation's heart in Baz Luhrmann's multi award-winning movie Strictly Ballroom. Baz's parents were professional ballroom competition dancers and by growing up in a passionate community of colourful characters, sequenced dresses, hair-spray and savvy dancers, the entire dance industry in Australia and around the world was given a quickstep image boost. Who could forget Bill Hunter's character Doug Hastings memorable line, "We had the chance but we were scared. We walked away. We lived our lives in fear!" Millions of viewers around the world have continued to tune into programs such as the BBC's Strictly Come Dancing in the United Kingdom and Dancing With The Stars in the United States and Australia; many attributing the surge in the sport's popularity to Strictly Ballroom. On Friday (Nov 23) 3AW's Mark Wilson and 'Mann About Town' David Mann, together with Dancing With The Stars personalities will be kicking up their heels alongside talented young dancers on the corner along Little Collins and Swanston Sts to launch Australia's Premier Dancesport Event - the 2012 Australian Dancesport Championship. The event will be held from Thurs-
Crowning Porch Thoughts
● Margaret Lonsdale day November 29 - Sunday December 2 and will also feature the World DanceSport Championship Standard (WDSF) at Melbourne's Hisense Arena. Our city will welcome the Crème de la Crème of Dancesport competitors in the Standard style from around the world where we will have the opportunity to be up close and personal with brilliant dancers all competing
Off The Porch Thought For The Day Carmelo Pizzino British, International and Australian Champion/Dancing With The Stars "The number of international couples and the standard of the athletes will be amazing. The Australian Championship is a great opportunity for all our young couples to see the best in the world. They can see just how far they can go in their chosen sport, which really allows them to combine their artistic feelings as well as the athleticism of their performance.
to be crowned the No.1 dancer in this style. On her sporting Porch in Albert Park, I caught up with Event Director, Margaret Lonsdale, to learn more about the 67th Australian Dancesport Championship and who is tipped to be crowned the WDSF 2012 champions. When did you become involved in the championships? I have been involved with the ADS on the Executive Committee since 1983. The Australian Championship had previously been held at the Melbourne Town Hall, Sydney Town Hall, Festival Hall, the Glasshouse and Broadmeadows Town Hall. It was decided in 1983 to move the event to a more central location and develop its profile into a truly international event. What was your drive to achieve this? My primary focus was to lift the profile of the sport, and to market the event far and wide and attract television and corporate sponsorship. It was this drive that really got me involved on a long journey. What is your background in the world of competitive dancing? I had been an international delegate for 12 years to the international member body for the World DanceSport Federation who are members of the International Olympic Committee. I was a top competitor in both amateur and professional events in Australia. We trained with the great Alf Davies (a world champion) and multi Australian Champion Kevin Gibson. What is involved putting together the winning bid? We won the bid in 2010 against some stiff competition. Prior to the presentation we worked with Victorian Major Events Company on the bid document. Melbourne is considered to be located far away from Europe, so we had to push hard to encourage member federations to make the journey to visit Melbourne. There is a lot of hard work involved, ensuring that everything is in place such as sponsorship and a great team of people to assist in delivering a the world standards and quality of the event to Melbourne. This is our third world championship in eight years and by far the biggest. The event is a Festival of Dance, so there will be different mini events within the programme. How many athletes will be competing this year?
● Australia's Michael Glikman and Milana Deitch We have 44 countries competing will be presented to celebrate this and 148 athletes in the World Cham- milestone? Over the past 4 years we have pionship. In the Australian Championship which includes two inter- raised about $140,000 for the Alfred national ranked events we have 1500 Hospital and hope to significantly add to this amount. We will have two athletes. It is going to be huge. What are the competition dance current professional world champions dancing on the night and we have disciplines? The disciplines in the sport are a very talented singing group Aussie Standard include; The Waltz, Slow Boys performing. We are also showFoxtrot, Tango, Quickstep, Vienesse casing the talented young musicians Waltz, Latin American and New from Blackburn High School Senior Vogue. New Vogue is the tradition- Stage Band. At the Gala Dinner we will officially welcome the internaally Australian style. How were the 'all Australian' tional Presidium members and overseas adjudicators and our special panel of adjudicators selected? There are a number of adjudica- guests. Who are the favourites to win tors consisting of nine judges on each day for each category from all states the 2012 championship? The World Championship will be of Australia. Adjudicators are selected by criteria of either having hotly contested between Germany been a former champion, or having and Denmark. Whilst it is an outtrained Australian champions with standing field, these two couples, technical accreditation in the style Benedetto Ferrugia and Claudia Koehler (Germany) and Emanuel they will be officiating. What are entrants competing Valeri and Tania Kehlet (Denmark) are the hot favourites. for? What is your Porch Thought of The World Championship title and medals. There is a purse of The Day? This world class event will be ab$10,000 which is divided between solutely brilliant with outstanding the 12 Semi finalists. This year you will also be cel- athleticism, colour and excitement. ebrating 70 years of the Australian For more information and ticketing information visit www. Dancing Society with all proceeds raised from your Gala Dinner go- theaustralianchampionship.com.au - Mark Richardson ing to the Alfred Foundation. What
Melbourne Observer - Wednesday, November 21, 2012 - Page 5
LB BIGGEST BARRA FOR NT AGAIN IN 2011 CM
*?A,>+37='*3A!"# '( )*+
+,--/$/$0%/1%/( !2*3 4)5036(7-89:+ ;<*= &>)0;'< 1'#
CALL NOW FOR A GREAT RATE.
!"#$% & WHY BOOK WITH US?
2, 3, 4, 5 & 6 Day Barra Run Off Safaris - 2013 Start Dates & Availability (as at 5th Oct 2012) February Barra Run Off Safaris Shady Camp
14th Feb 2 Day Barra Run Off Shady Camp Spring
12th Mar 2 or 3 Day Barra Run Off Shady Camp Spring
Barra Run Off Safaris Shady Camp
28th Mar 4 or 5 Day Barra Run Off 10 Shady Camp Spring
7th Apr 2 Day Barra Run Off Shady Camp Neaps
20th Apr 2 or 3 Day Barra Run Off Shady Camp Neaps
4th Feb 4 or 5 Day Barra Run Off Shady Camp Neaps
17th Feb 4 or 5 Day Barra Run Off Shady Camp Neaps
2nd Mar 2 or 3 Day Barra Run Off Shady Camp Spring
15th Mar 2 or 3 Day 28th Mar 2 or 3 Day Barra Run Off Barra Run Off 12 10 Shady Camp Spring Shady Camp Spring
10th Apr 5 Day Barra Run Off Shady Camp Spring
26th Apr 5 Day Barra Run Off Shady Camp Spring
4th Feb 2 or 3Day Barra Run Off Shady Camp Neaps
17th Feb 2 or 3 Day Barra Run Off Shady Camp Neaps
6th Mar 4 Day Barra Run Off Shady Camp Neaps
18th Mar 4 or 5 Day Barra Run Off 12 Shady Camp Neaps
10th Apr 3 Day Barra Run Off Shady Camp Spring
26th Apr 3 Day Barra Run Off Shady Camp Spring
7th Feb 2 or 3 Day Barra Run Off Shady Camp Neaps
21st Feb 3 Day Barra Run Off Shady Camp Neaps
6th Mar 2 or 3 Day Barra Run Off Shady Camp Neaps
18th Mar 2 or 3 Day Barra Run Off 12 Shady Camp Neaps
13th Apr 3 Day Barra Run Off Shady Camp Spring
29th Apr 3 Day Barra Run Off Shady Camp Spring
11th Feb 4 or 5 Day Barra Run Off Shady Camp Spring
27th Feb 4 or 5 Day Barra Run Off Shady Camp Spring
8th Mar 2 Day Barra Run Off Shady Camp Neaps
22nd Mar 4 day Barra Run Off Shady Camp Neaps
4th Apr 4 Day Barra Run Off Shady Camp Neaps
17th Apr 4 Day Barra Run Off Shady Camp Neaps
11th Feb 2 or 3 Day Barra Run Off Shady Camp Spring
27th Feb 2 or 3 Day Barra Run Off Shady Camp Spring
12th Mar 4 or 5 Day Barra Run Off Shady Camp Spring
22nd Mar 3 day Barra Run Off Shady Camp Neaps
4th Apr 2 or 3 Day Barra Run Off Shady Camp Neaps
17th Apr 2 or 3 Day Barra Run Off Shady Camp Neaps
31st Mar 2 or 3 Day Barra Run Off Shady Camp Spring
April Barra Run Off Safaris Shady Camp
Green Numbers (12 OR LESS) indicates seats available. Red Zero (0) indicates fully booked. For all Safari enquiries Please Call Allan or Greg on (08) 89450376
s /WN !!! 4OURISM 3TAR 2ATED ""