OR Benchmarks Collaborative Benefits – Helps optimize overall financial, operational and clinical performance – Provides actionable insight into the greatest areas of opportunity – Empowers OR directors to have meaningful, fact-based interactions with senior management, caregivers and OR staff regarding performance and improvement opportunities – Offers networking opportunities to share best practices with a very large community of subscribers
Successful management of the operating room (OR) is a continual balancing act — shrinking reimbursements with rising costs, garnering surgeon loyalty while managing expenditures, improving operational efficiency while focusing on patient safety. Because the OR accounts for as much as 68% of a hospital’s revenue, and capacity is a top priority for most, balance is crucial. To help hospitals manage capacity demands efficiently and safely, McKesson and OR Manager, Inc. formed The OR Benchmarks® Collaborative (ORBC), an automated benchmarking service designed specifically for surgery. Utilizing Webenabled technology that does not require the purchase or installation of any software, subscribers can:
– Assess OR performance by comparing it against a statistically significant database with approximately 400 subscribers and 4 million active case records – Uncover actionable insight into performance improvement opportunities through user-friendly, drill-down analysis – Report and share OR performance and operational trends in a threedimensional fashion to support aligning goals and outcomes
The Power to Measure Performance The OR Benchmarks Collaborative provides monthly trended data on multiple key performance indicators (KPIs) focusing on capacity and quality. ORBC is vendor neutral. Subscribers
– Minimizes the cost of collecting and analyzing throughput and capacity metrics – Offers an easy to use and fast to implement solution at great value
Beyond the scorecard, each KPI is further assessable by 20 additional data points using the true point-and-click technology.
Fast Facts – A collaboration between McKesson and OR Manager, Inc. created to empower organizations to improve OR throughput and capacity – The industry’s largest OR benchmarking service with almost 400 subscribers and 4 million cases that allows multiple self-selected peer comparisons – A Web-based service providing timely monthly reporting on key surgery performance indicators — with no requirement that subscribing organizations have a McKesson or any other surgery information system – Standard subscription includes experienced business advisors who expedite the set up process and provide valuable analytics coaching
upload case data from their surgery system or simple Mirosoft® Excel® spreadsheet if an information system is not used; ORBC standardizes it, returning uniform metrics. The online dashboard (see front page) offers many options for generating and sharing data based upon a variety of factors (e.g., anesthesia, block utilization, procedure, surgeon, service, etc.).
– Establish evidence-based performance goals that are realistic and achievable through statistically significant peer comparison and detailed analysis enabled within the tool
While most surgery information systems offer similar reporting capabilities, custom and standard report queries are often cumbersome and time/labor intensive netting a one-dimensional report, which is limited in its ability to share through traditional paper mediums. Any ORBC user can develop custom reports in a dynamic fashion without complicated report writer skills and share them across constituents in a multitude of modern techniques, including a live database that is agile enough to address queries instantaneously.
As a subscriber, you can take advantage of what many others already have. As the director of surgery of the facility receiving the prestigious 2007 Overall Best Performer Award states, “Finally having the substantive data necessary to drive change so easily at our fingertips was the tipping point in being able to put solutions to work that have been embraced by all.” Participation in the OR Benchmarks Collaborative is by annual subscription.
The Power to Perform One of the largest consortiums of OR decision-makers, the ORBC allows subscribers to: – Drill into their data with minimal effort or expertise
OR Manager, Inc
– Use point-and-click functionality to explore, isolate and address root causes of poor performance
P.O. Box 5303 Santa Fe, NM 87502 http://www.ormanager.com 1.800.442.9918
– Participate in routine networking via user conferences, virtual quarterly best practice networking forums, continuing education events, design forums and surveys
– Minimal effort and time commitment are required from the subscriber side – Access to an online, interactive dashboard comparing current performance to historical performance and self-selected peer groups – Optional business advisor services by a staff of senior clinical/business managers who can support facility efforts ranging from super-user training to coaching and insight into performance management strategies specific to the organization.
For More Information For more information on the OR Benchmarks Collaborative solution, go to http://www.orbenchmarking.com.
McKesson Provider Technologies 5995 Windward Parkway Alpharetta, GA 30005 http://www.mckesson.com
Copyright © 2009 McKesson Corporation and/or one of its subsidiaries. All rights reserved. McKesson Performance Benchmarks is a trademark of McKesson Information Solutions LLC. The OR Benchmarks Collaborative is a partnership of OR Manager, Inc., and McKesson. OR Benchmarks is a registered trademark of OR Manager, Inc. U.S. Registration No. 2,191,654. All other product or company names mentioned may be trademarks, service marks or registered trademarks of their respective companies. RMG102-04/09