Clyde T. Barbour Pkwy.
THIRD STREET A blend of business, residential and public buildings; most homes are Federal style; some remodeled with Victorian accents. Construction of a grand city hall was commissioned and state legislators were petitioned to move the county seat from Washington to Maysville. In 1848 Maysville became Mason County’s second county seat.
1 115 East Third Street
WELCOME CENTER – Situated at the entrance of the Simon Kenton Suspension Bridge. Brochures, maps and information. Mon. – Fri. 10a.m. - 4p.m. Sat. 10a.m. - 1p.m. Closed Sunday. 606-564-6986
2 131 East Third Street * 1905
MAYSVILLE POST OFFICE – Mail was still delivered by horse-drawn wagons when the “new” post office opened Dec. 4, 1905. Previous locations included; Front, Second and Sutton streets and the corner of Third and Market streets in the Cox building.
3 140 – 134 East Third Street * 1830
1830 ROW HOUSES – Built by James, John, Lewis and Benjamin Jacob, brothers who came to Maysville from Virginia in 1826 and established Jacob Plough Factory on Fourth Street. Federal style, descending parapets, Victorian accents, 3rd floor roofline and chimney pots added in late 1800s.
4 128 East Third Street * 1880
COX-HORD HOUSE – Built for Andrew T. Cox in Queen Anne Kensington style. Home of Kentucky’s first woman mayor, Rebecca Hord (1951-1960). In 1956 Hord hosted a dinner party for members of United States Supreme Court including Supreme Court Justice and Maysville native Stanley F. Reed and Chief Justice Earl Warren.
5 110 East Third Street * 1909
ST. PATRICK’S CHURCH – Congregation formed in 1847. Gothic style; lofty sanctuary with beautiful stained glass windows represent St. Boniface and St. Patrick, patron saints of Germany and Ireland. Rectory built in 1901 in Colonial Revival style.
6 31 East Third Street * 1848
CHURCH OF THE NATIVITY – Oldest church building still in use in Maysville. Tudor Gothic style; characteristics are deep chancel, steep roof pitch, massive tower with belfry. Hunter House constructed with money donated by George T. Hunter, Maysville native & President of Coca-Cola Bottling Company (Thomas) Inc. in 1930s.
7 18 East Third Street * 1876
8 9 East Third Street * 1929
Tucker Dr. AA Hwy. 68
FIRST CHRISTIAN CHURCH – With its origins in the Baptist Church, congregation formed in 1828 after Alexander Campbell visited Kentucky during his Reformation movement. Victorian Gothic style, shamrocks on front edifice.
Duke of York St.
SUPER 8 MOTEL ASHLAND 86 MILES
Moody Dr. 62
Simon Kenton Bridge
18 110 West Third Street * 2000
9 14 East Third Street * 1888
MASON COUNTY JUSTICE BUILDING -- Site of 1840 hemp factory. Mason County was largest hemp market in the U. S. in 1845; hemp used to make rope for use on riverboats, wharfs and throughout frontier. Building echoes Greek Revival style of original courthouse, Ionic columns, descending parapets.
GEORGE COX-RUSSELL HOUSE – Richardsonian Romanesque style. Characteristics are massive stone arches, low heavy columns & towers with conical roof; seashells and other materials used on turret, small window on western chimney.
10 2 East Third Street * 1887
MASONIC TEMPLE-COX BUILDING – Bulit in the Queen Anne style by William H. Cox, Lt. Governor of Kentucky. Home of the Masonic Lodge until early 1970s; unique features include gargoyles along the roofline, Masonic symbols in the third floor ballroom stained glass window. Known to recent generations as Kilgus’ Drug Store where Maysville High School teenagers hung out after school.
11 2 West Third Street * c. 1810
MARTIN HOUSE – Built before 1810 of partial log construction, thought to be oldest standing house in town. Home of Edmund Martin who donated land for First Baptist Church at 315 Market Street.
12 4 West Third Street * c. 1820
REV. EDGAR HOUSE – Built in the 1820s as house and school for Maysville’s first Presbyterian minister John T. Edgar, who became a well-known minister in Tennessee and preached the funeral sermon for President Andrew Jackson.
13 18 West Third Street * 1822
RHODEN HORD HOUSE – Oldest brick home on the block, occupied by descendants of the original owner. Federal style, Mansard roofline and third floor added late 1800s.
14 19 – 7 West Third Street * c. 1840
MECHANICS ROW – Original “Mechanics Row” was located at south corner of W. Third and Wall streets. John Armstrong built homes for self-employed laborers: only two of five row houses remain. The name moved to these seven row houses, also built by Armstrong. Federal style, with eyebrow windows at top, descending parapets, iron balconies and grille work reflect New Orleans influence. Chimney pots, 3rd story Mansard rooflines and Victorian accents added in late 1800s.
15 20 West Third Street * 1838
A. M. JANUARY HOUSE – January descendants have lived in this house since its completion in 1838 up to present day; always passes to the eldest daughter. In 1851, Andrew M. January and partner B. W. Wood purchased the cotton mill, renaming it January & Wood Cotton Mill. January led the committee to rebuild the Presbyterian Church in 1850. Federal style, descending parapets.
16 21 West Third Street * 1850
FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH – Congregation founded in 1817, fire burned the original church known as “Old Blue”, now site of Washington Opera House. In 1854 debris from an explosion at the Maysville Powder Magazine knocked a hole in the building on the Court Street side; the hole was never repaired. First period Gothic Revival style; pastel lead glass windows and brass chandelier were purchased in France.
19 116 West Third Street * c. 1882
OLD MAYSVILLE JAIL – Built and used as a jail from 1884 to 1991; financed by $45,000 in bonds. French Second Empire style.
MCDONALD PARKWAY Limestone Street & West Front Street
During Maysville’s growth as a river port Water Street, now Front Street, became a main thoroughfare boasting three hotels, taverns, businesses and the city’s first brick homes. With two entrances to the wharf, it was a port of landing for all modes of river transportation and ferry operators. Daniel Boone lived in Maysville in 1788 and as early as 1786. He helped his cousin Jacob build Boone’s Tavern in 1815: first jail attached to the tavern in 1820. In 1936, Boone’s Tavern was the oldest standing house in town. Several buildings at the western end of Front Street remain including historic Lee House; others torn down after 1937 flood and 1960s’ urban renewal.
26 215 Limestone Street
20 West Third Street – Courthouse Square * c. 1817
MASON COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE –Federal style home of Pleasant H. & Mary Baird; Baird was one of Maysville’s early silversmiths. In 1824, their son was killed in an accident on a tread wheel; he is buried in Pioneer Cemetery. Wood shingles under existing roof, dormer noticeable from the rear. Housed Bank of Maysville until 1920.
21 West Third Street – Courthouse Square * 1860
COUNTY CLERK’S OFFICE – Sculpture above doors has Justice holding set of scales; shutters and doorframes made of iron. Valuable records of deeds, marriages, etc. from early settlement days.
22 West Third Street - Courthouse Square
“OLD TIP” Cannon – Relic of War of 1812; used in 1811 Battle of Tippecanoe. Mason County volunteers served in the 3rd Regiment of the Kentucky Militia under General William Henry Harrison. At one time cannon was buried upside down and used as a hitching post.
23 West Third Street – Courthouse Square * 1845
MASON COUNTY COURTHOUSE – Built as City Hall, became Mason County Courthouse in 1848. Greek Revival style, Doric columns, limestone steps, domed clock tower. Original clock with wooden gears installed 1850, said to be older than London’s Big Ben clock face; will be moved to Museum Center Clock Tower in 2006. Stanley Reed historic marker on steps. Site of slave auctions.
24 313 West Third Street * 1834
LEWIS COLLINS HOME -- Born in Fayette County, Collins moved to Mason County where he assisted in the publication of The Union, a Washington newspaper. In 1820 he moved to Maysville; became owner and editor of The Eagle newspaper. After retiring in 1847, Lewis devoted his time to writing and publishing Historical Sketches of Kentucky which remains the “Bible“ for research on Kentucky to this day. Federal-Greek Revival style, descending parapets.
25 331 West Third Street * c. 1831
BLOCKHOUSE SITE – In 1784, Simon Kenton assembled 60 men to build a blockhouse at the mouth of Limestone creek to defend settlers arriving in northern Kentucky against Indian attacks. Edward and John Waller and William Bickley were among the group that erected the double log cabin blockhouse, the first permanent building in Limestone. Maysville High School built in 1908; closed in 1991, renovated into apartments with chalkboards intact retaining its historical value.
Maysville E. 4th St.
1 E. 3rd St. 6
11 12 47
33 E. 2nd St.
W. 4th St.
McDonald Pkwy. R ive Oh i r o
17 26 West Third Street * 1956
ROSEMARY CLOONEY HOME – Childhood home of Maysville’s famous “Girl Singer” during 1940s. Situated at top of street named for her when she was in town for premier of her 1953 movie “The Stars Are Singing”. Built by John B. Richeson, founder of Rand-Richeson Academy on 4th Street. Greek Revival style, example of early 1800s’ town homes.
28 McDondald Parkway
23 22 20 21
S H w y. 6 8
52 Phister Alley W. 4th St.
19 W. 3rd St.
31 F L O O D
W. Front St.
W A L L
F L O O D
W A L L
F L O O D
O h i o
W A L L
F L O O D
W A L L
F L O O D
W A L L
R i v e r
35 48 – 52 West Second Street * c. 1850
32 1201 East Second Street * 1850
29 SIMON KENTON SUSPENSION BRIDGE – Opened in 1932, ending ferry service in existence since 1794; tollgates existed until 1945. Named in honor of frontiersman Simon Kenton, considered the Father of Mason County. 30 Front Street at Sutton Street
36 116 West Second Street * c. 1898
33 24 East Second Street * 1928
31 102 West Front Street * c. 1798
LIMESTONE LANDING – Simon Kenton landed at the mouth of Limestone creek in 1775 during his fifth attempt to find the cane lands described to him by Indians. In 1992 opening cut into floodwall once again giving residents and visitors access to the Ohio River, a fishing pier and boat dock. Large rock in fountain with initials “DB”. Could this have been Daniel Boone?
Second Street runs the entire length of Maysville east to west. In 1878, the East End community of Chester set up its own city government. Hutchison’s Grocery was part of Chester then and is still in business today more than 150 years later.
FLOODWALL MURALS – Located along McDonald Parkway between Limestone and Sutton streets, the Maysville Floodwall Mural Project began in 1998. The murals visually demonstrate the connection of the Ohio River to Maysville and four centuries of history, agriculture, the four seasons and various modes of transportation beginning with foot transportation in the 1600s’ Hunting Grounds Mural to the introduction of the automobile in the 1920s’ Market Street Scene.
HENDRICKSON’S BLOCK – Built by A.M. January in Italianate style, the building was originally known as January’s Block. Established as Hendrickson’s Paint Company in 1908, Frank L. Hendrickson remodeled the building in 1932, reducing the number of storefronts to three, allowing expansion of his paint, wallpaper and home furnishings business. The distinctive SherwinWilliams “We Cover The World” sign was erected in early 1930s. The family owned business operated at this location until 2004. FUN FACT: An illusion of glass has given this storefront the name “Hendrickson’s Magic Window”. Standing at the corner of the display window(s), center your body on the corner, raise leg/arm nearest the street, your reflection will be mirrored in the plate glass window.
HUTCHISON’S GROCERY – Started in 1850 by the Hutchison family, this grocery store has operated continuously since then. Cooking and selling country hams started as a small part of the business; today Hutchison’s is known across Kentucky and the United States for their hams. Approximately 700 hams are sold throughout the holiday season. Stop in and try some today.
SUTTON’S LANDING – Site of Maysville’s first ferry. Benjamin Sutton granted license in 1794 to operate ferry; later honored by having street named for him. Site of Burley Tobacco Harvest Mural.
WASHINGTON OPERA HOUSE – 7th oldest theater in the country still in use. First building constructed in 1850; theater enlarged in 1884. In 1898, Opera House burned, was rebuilt in Renaissance Revival style, renamed The Washington Opera House. Used as fire hall, Vaudeville house, lecture hall, dramatic theatre and movie house; first moving picture in Maysville shown here on Oct. 12, 1908. Owned by Maysville Players, restoration to be complete 2006.
MAYSVILLE CONFERENCE CENTER – Built for retail and mail order giant Montgomery Ward & Company, the Art Deco styled building features ”The Spirit of Progress Ward’s Quality Symbol” statue in the center facade arch. One-third of the United States population did business with Montgomery Ward in 1929 through mail order and 500 retail stores.
THE LEE HOUSE – An old and important inn, originally named the Washington Hotel. Its early register (housed at the Museum Center) lists Henry Clay, Marquis de Lafayette and Andrew Jackson as visitors. In 1840, Peter and Henry Lee built the front part of the hotel facing Front Street; construction of the south portion built circa 1798.
34 20 West Second Street * 1920
37 229 & 237 West Second Street * 1834
BANK OF MAYSVILLE – Established in 1835 as branch of Northern Bank of Kentucky, it is the oldest incorporated bank in Kentucky: took present name in 1871. Murals of Mason County, Liberty Bell replica, pistol of Col. Pete Everett, who led John Morgan’s Raiders into area during Civil War, the only time bank has closed its doors during regular business hours. Corinthian Columns adorn building facade.
SECOND STREET The commercial district of Front Street eventually gave way to the ravages of floods and progression of time. When floodwall construction began in the early 1950s buildings that had survived the 1937 flood were razed, establishing Second Street as the heart of the downtown business district.
W. 2nd St.
27 McDondald Parkway
Simon Kenton Bridge
E. 3rd St. E. 4th St. 68
E. 2nd St.
FRENCH QUARTER INN
W. Front St.
TRINITY UNITED METHODIST CHURCH – Original building dedicated in 1847 on land donated by John Armstrong after congregation split over slavery issue in 1845. This church became known as Third Street Methodist Episcopal Church North, the other congregation became part of the Methodist Episcopal Church South; congregations merged again in 1950s as Trinity United Methodist and rebuilt on land given by Armstrong. Greek Revival style, Ionic columns.
45 Market St.
*Printed in cooperation with the Kentucky Department of Tourism
MAYSVILLE-MASON COUNTY TOURISM 216 Bridge Street Maysville, KY 41056 606.564.9419 www.cityofmaysville.com 68
Cla rk’s Run
CINCINNATI 55 MILES
Jersey Ridge Rd.
W. 3rd St.
W. 2nd St. Wm Harsha Bridge
RUSSELL THEATER – Built by Col. J. Barbour Russell who said of the theater “What the Roxy is to New York, the Russell will be to Maysville.” Atmospheric theater in Spanish style, stars, moon & rainbow on ceiling set mood of escape and make-believe during the depression era. Site of Rosemary Clooney’s “The Stars Are Singing” movie premier in 1953; under restoration.
42 44 43
62 Wm Harsha Bridge
Distinguished citizens of Mason County include former slave and Baptist Minister Elisha W. Green, U.S. Army Lt. Col. Charles D. Young, professional baseball Hall of Famer Casey Stengle, singer/actress Rosemary Clooney, actor George Clooney and Miss America 2000 Heather French Henry.
LEXINGTON 65 MILES
We invite you to stroll where Shawnee & Cherokee Indians stalked, retrace the footsteps of fleeing slaves as they escaped to freedom, visit our floodwall murals where history becomes art and feel the excitement of our pioneer spirit as we preserve our past while looking to the future! Discover the role our communities played in the founding of the frontier and the people who went from pioneers living in the wilds of Kane-tuck-ee to prosperous landowners, slave owners, abolitionists and businessmen.
Established as the county seat, Washington held this distinction until Maysville successfully petitioned state legislators to move the county seat to Maysville in 1848.
John Armstrong and Andrew M. January played important roles in Maysville’s growth. They were involved in the formation of the Bank of Limestone, Maysville Neptune Water Works Company, Maysville Gas Company, Maysville Coal, Salt & Transfer Company, Maysville Manufacturing Company, Bank of Maysville, January & Wood Cotton Mill, construction of the Presbyterian & Methodist churches and City Hall. When Revolutionary War hero Marquis de Lafayette visited in 1825, Armstrong provided red carpets to line the grade from Fish Street to Front Street. During the 1833 Cholera epidemic January lost three children, Elizabeth, Isabella and Andrew, as well as a servant. Armstrong lost his wife, brother and business partner Johnston, and a Negro servant. By the 1840s fugitive slaves escaped through the area by way of the Underground Railroad, seeking freedom across the river at the home of Rev. John Rankin in Ripley, Ohio. Abolitionist John G. Fee was run out of the county and Harriet Beecher Stowe witnessed a slave auction in Washington which was incorporated into her novel Uncle Tom’s Cabin.
Situated in Mason County, Maysville is two historically significant communities that joined to become one. Washington, incorporated in 1786, grew to become a prosperous town by 1810, second only to Lexington. Maysville, originally called Limestone, was also established in the 1780s but didn’t flourish until the Indian threat was eliminated from the riverbank in the early 1800s.
Be sure to look up; interesting features can be found along rooflines, building facades and atop chimneys. Storefronts that look like wood are actually cast iron – touch one and see. One home has a red bowl and seashells adorning the tower. Take a moment, have some fun and find these features during your visit! rooflines with descending parapets. Brick sidewalks, iron fences and gates are evidence of early manufacturing.
Maysville is a terraced city with 155 buildings listed on the National Historic Register. French, Irish, Dutch and German influences are evidenced by iron grille work and Maysville played host to many famous people before and after the Revolutionary War. Simon Kenton, Daniel Boone, James Madison, Andrew Jackson, Henry Clay, Aaron Burr, William Henry Harrison, the Marquis de Lafayette and Lewis & Clark all visited the area because it was a major passageway into the interior of Kentucky and points south and west. When the Virginia General Assembly established Limestone as a town in 1787 the name was changed to Maysville, in honor of John May who signed the Declaration of Independence. May and Simon Kenton owned 100 acres of land which was vested in Daniel Boone, Henry Lee, Arthur Fox, Jacob Boone, Thomas Brooks and George Milford as trustees. May’s influence was short-lived: he was killed during an Indian attack in 1790. It was an enthralling, perilous era, one of personal hardship, challenging expansion and a rugged frontier. Down the Ohio River floated canoes, rafts and flatbottom boats carrying settlers, pioneer scouts and even foreign nobility to a landing at Limestone, known as the “Northern Gateway to Kentucky”. A landing cut into the wilderness by migrating buffalo from Ohio traveling to Blue Licks for salt.
P ioneer Gateway
JANUARY & WOOD COTTON MILL – Maysville’s oldest industry and Kentucky’s oldest family owned industry until 2004. Built by William Shotwell in 1834, became January and Wood in 1851 when Andrew M. January and Benjamin.W. Wood purchased shares from other stockholders. In the 1930s the mill consumed 5,000 bales of cotton per year and produced in excess of 2 million pounds of finished product, known as the Maysville brand of cotton wrap and twine.
HAVEN’S CHAPEL – Early Methodist Church formed in 1882. Began as a oneroom frame building in 1874 during post-conscription era by free persons of color. Church destroyed by fire on three occasions; current structure built 1941 and continues to hold services today.
2200 Old Main Street
WASHINGTON POST OFFICE – The log cabins housing the post office and private business were moved to their current sites and reconstructed, original stone fireplace, dove-tail notching. Artifacts on display include an old desk which survived the fire that destroyed the Washington Courthouse, original wooden post office boxes from first postal station and an early 20th century mailbox. Stop in and send a postcard from the only working log cabin Post Office in America!
Jail Street * c. 1790
SITE OF WASHINGTON JAIL – Completed in 1798 after protests from Sheriff Thomas Waring about escaping inmates from existing jail. Two-room stone structure was 8’ x 16’ with a 10’ pitch. Demolished in 1901, stones used on the new U.S. 68 turnpike. John Williams, the 1st Jailor, was paid $14 pounds per year salary.
2126 Old Main Street * 1870
WASHINGTON PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH – Presbyterian Church was second established church in Washington in 1792. The first church building was erected in 1806 at the south end of town; this is the third building to house congregation. Gothic Revival structure, the entire interior is covered with pressed tin paneling including the stained glass window over the front
12 2114 Old Main Street * c. 1848
WASHINGTON MEETING HOUSE – Originally built as Washington Christian Church; now public meeting house. The building houses a paneled wall taken from the Minerva family home of U. S. Supreme Court Justice Stanley F. Reed.
13 505 S. Court Street * c. 1812
PILLSBURY BOY’S SCHOOL – It is said Zerella Pillsbury purchased this building with $500 and opened a boy’s school in 1865. Home has four fireplaces with original mantels, walls are three bricks thick; when present owners restored home in late 1970s they found initials of students carved into mantelpieces. *Private Residence
14 503 S. Court Street * c. 1797
ALBERT SIDNEY JOHNSTON HOUSE – Childhood home of Civil War Confederate General Albert Sidney Johnston. His death at the Battle of Shiloh (TN) on April 6, 1862 was said to be a military turning point of the war. The family of Union General William “Bull” Nelson resided here after the death of Johnston’s father. The Johnston & Nelson families attended the Washington Presbyterian Church, both men attended West Point and would fight at the Battle of Shiloh. Nelson met an untimely death at the Galt House in Louisville when a fellow Union General named Jefferson Davis shot him in the chest after an argument about the battle. Nelson is buried in Maysville Cemetery.
The “Cane Brake” Visitor Center is one of the original 119 log cabins erected in Washington during the 1790s. The dense brakes of bamboo cane in the area, which reached heights of
P l e a s e Co n
its unique role and identity as Kentucky’s second largest city during the settlement of America’s frontier during the late 1700s and early 1800s.
St. Patrick Cemetery
24 23 22
Old Main St.
23 2028 Old Main Street * c. 1800
13 11 12 10
19 18 17
Old Main St.
15 2115 Green Street * c. 1800
DR. BASIL DUKE HOUSE/MCMURDY SCHOOL BOARDING HOUSE –Born in Maryland, Duke emigrated to Lexington KY in 1791. Married Charlotte Marshall, daughter of Thomas & Mary Marshall; moved to Mason County in 1798. Duke practiced medicine in Mason County for 30 years. He died in 1828. Became home of Rev. Robert McMurdy, an emancipationist, in 1840s; McCurdy opened school in 1849. Local folklore says this house was the first to have wallpaper.
19 2127 Old Main Street * c. 1809
WASHINGTON BRANCH OF BANK OF KENTUCKY – First branch bank in Kentucky; built by Henry Lee, first bank president. Became Bank of Maysville in 1835. Lee was one of the earliest pioneers to settle in Mason County, member of the Virginia legislature from the district of Kentucky and convention that adopted the federal constitution. Building has 16-inch thick walls, ceiling-high fireplace cabinets, cherry woodwork & cherry banisters. *Private Residence
2110 Old Main Street * 1820
16 2110 Old Main Street * 1793
WASHINGTON HALL – Grand hotel built by several prominent citizens in hopes of keeping the county seat in Washington. The effort failed to convince state officials the village could accommodate the many visitors for court related business and Washington lost the seat to Maysville in 1848.
17 2123 Old Main Street * c. 1799
TAYLOR’S CORNER – Built by Ezekial & Dolly (Wood) Forman as wedding present for their daughter Elizabeth and her husband Robert Taylor, Jr. With its three handsome doorways, the Federal styled building was a combination residence and store where one could buy everything from handmade nails to the finest trunk. According to local history, the owners asked patrons with open accounts to settle up prior to their seasonal buying trips to Philadelphia. *Private Residence
WASHINGTON COURTHOUSE SITE – Built by master stonemason and Baptist minister Lewis Craig. Struck by lightning in 1909, burned to its stone foundation, which remains. Built of native limestone, building was 50 ft long by 23 ft wide; 2 ft. thick walls: cupola for bell sat atop 25 ft. octagonal tower, topped by weathervane and gilded ball. Keystone on display at Visitor Center. Slave auctions held on courthouse lawn. ALLEN STONE HOUSE – One of several limestone houses that once stood in Washington: walls are two feet deep, the structure represents the rapid transition from log cabins to brick homes. It is unclear who built the home or its completion date: when the south half of the lot was sold in 1799 records note Dr. Wm. Goforth had erected “the frame of a house” on the property however, Goforth left Washington in 1799. *Private Residence
18 2117 - 2121 Old Main Street * c. 1795
ROW HOUSES – Frame buildings are said to be oldest row houses still standing in Mason County: built as stores in early business section of town. Construction dates from 1795 to 1840/1860. North end row house, which is the oldest, has a fireplace and windows with bars on basement level; thought to be the town’s first primitive jail.
21 2100 Old Main Street * c. 1829
22 2030 Old Main Street * c. 1810
PAXTON-EVANS HOUSE – built by prominent Washington lawyer and early abolitionist James Paxton. Connecting doorways allow access to Paxton Inn. Paxton was a member of the Colonization Society, a society that promoted the return of slaves to Africa. He moved from Washington because of his anti-slavery beliefs. Related by marriage to the Marshall family, Paxton died in 1825 after falling from his horse on a visit to Blue Licks; buried in Marshall family cemetery. *Private Residence
24 Old Main Street * 1848
11 2124 Old Main Street * c. 1795
BRICK OUTBUILDING – Early Smokehouse or Indian Fort? The 1975 Historic American Building Survey states the 30 degree, beveled inward vertical slits of the second story are “too narrow to admit the barrel of an early rifle” … in case of hostile attack “the building would have been particularly vulnerable to fire. It is impossible to disprove completely the building’s design as a fortification, but it is more likely that the structure was dual purpose utility building”. Diamond-shaped vents in brick gables identical to regional smokehouses.
Duke of York Street
2222 Old Main Street * 1941
CARRIAGE MUSEUM – Showcases transportation before the automobile; from a basic farmer’s wagon to an elegant, 4-seat carriage; antique toys and farm implements. Built of Hemlock Wood, museum replicates board and batten, double house at front of property. The house is built on dry foundation of stone with no mortar, occupied until early 1980s, there is no running water, electricity introduced in 1997.
id e d
2207 Old Main Street * c. 1850
y s v ill
our Here ! Enjoy Your Tour. t o n Guid e d T Washing r u o Y Star t entrance. Church history says this may have done after the beautiful designs in P 1 2215 Old Main Street * c. 1790 the plastered ceiling were damaged by fire around 1885. The church grew and VISITOR’S CENTER – One of the original 119 Cane prospered under Rev. Paradise Lost McAboy (1836-1839) who died at a young age Brake log cabins built during the 1790s. Used as when two floors of stored wheat collapsed on him at the Murphysville flour mill; he residence until 1950s, two-family dwelling at one is buried in the Washington Baptist Cemetery. time. V-notching construction, addition built c. 1805 of frame & brick nogging construction, shake9 2128 Old Main Street * 1873 shingle roof; Cane Brake behind cabin. Information, PRESBYTERIAN MANSE – Example of Victorian architecture, these decorative costumed guides available for tours of museums and village. 606-759-7411 homes with their gingerbread accents were known as “painted ladies” because of the 5 to 7 paint colors used to accent its features. *Private Residence 2 2215 Old Main Street * c. 1790 SIMON KENTON SHRINE – Authentic log cabin built 10 2124 Old Main Street * c. 1807 in 1790s, constructed as a general store operated HARRIET BEECHER STOWE SLAVERY TO FREEDOM by Lee, Lashbrooke & Co. General Store. Named to MUSEUM –Formerly the Marshall Key home. Mrs. Stowe honor Simon Kenton, who once owned a store in (then Beecher) witnessed a slave auction in Washington Washington, cabin houses farm implements, tools, during her visit to the Key family home in 1833, she drew household goods and other items available at a upon this later and incorporated it into her novel Uncle frontier store. V-notching construction, shake-shingle roof, salt trough made Tom’s Cabin. Georgian townhome style with Federal from Kentucky Cottonwood tree. interior detailing; Reeded Roll feature on frontpiece and 3 2215 Old Main Street window frames in front parlor. Marshall Key was a nephew of U.S. Supreme Court Moved to Old Washington to preserve cabin; Square-notching construction, Justice John Marshall, and a clerk of the Mason County Court. shake-shingle roof. Public Restroom.
Buildings throughout the village reflect its rapid growth from pioneer log cabins to sophisticated brick homes in the Federal and Georgian Town home styles within a twenty-year period. Glass was difficult to transport and had to be cut into small squares prior to shipment to reduce breakage. Count the panes of glass in the windows as you browse the village and you will find some have 6 panes above the sash and 6 below; others are 12 above and 12 below and even 12 above and 20 below. If you hear someone say it’s a “six over twelve” window, they are referring to the number of panes above and below the sash. Folklore says a home with a large number of window panes represents a wealthy homeowner.
Slave ownership and slave auctions were common in Washington leading into the 1850s. At the same time there were citizens in prominent positions who were vocal abolitionists, including James Paxton. Slave auctions were considered by some as a form of The 700-acre town of Washington was laid out in 1785 by Arthur Fox, entertainment when Harriet Beecher Stowe (then Beecher) visited in Sr. and Baptist preacher William Wood. Joseph Logan, the first white 1833. The role of the town and its citizens in the Underground Railroad child born in Mason County, arrived on September 27, 1785 at McKinley’s is still unfolding. It is hard to imagine that fugitive slaves escaping through Simon Kenton blockhouse: Dolly Wood, the first white female born in Mason County, arrived the area did not receive assistance from the citizens of the village until slavery on December 14, 1786. The first tavern license in Mason County was issued to David was abolished in Kentucky after the Civil War ended. Broderick in 1790. Today, as a historic district of Maysville, the village is known as “Old Washington”, retaining
49 315 Market Street * 1886
FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH – Gothic Revival style, third structure to occupy land donated in 1811 by Edmund Martin. This style embodied a new intensity of religious attitude and revived orthodoxy in religious practice, invoked medieval churches. Characteristics are the quatrefoil (windows with three circular parts), stepped buttresses, twin bell towers, Celtic cross and often made of rough fieldstone.
In January 1798, a lottery was authorized to raise one thousand dollars to introduce a public waterworks into the town from a public spring. The plan failed and the proceeds raised were used to sink wells throughout the village. The first public waterworks system West of the Allegheny Mountains was created with the sinking of 22 wells through the village. Reproductions of the wells are found in the village today.
Tecumseh, the great Shawnee warrior, was 17 years old in 1785 and had begun leading attacks on pioneers traveling the Ohio River. The flotilla of Captain James Ward, who became one of Mason County’s most distinguished citizens, was attacked by several hundred Indians and Ward’s nephew was killed. Ward’s boat eventually outdistanced the Indians and arrived in Limestone with only one loss of life.
44 227 Sutton Street * 1831
PHILLIPS FOLLY – Begun in 1825 by Wm. B. Phillips, Maysville’s 2nd mayor, it was the largest home in town with 12 rooms and 6 bedrooms built on a dry foundation of stones set without mortar. Phillips ran out of money during construction and disappeared. The house became known as “Phillip’s Folly”. It is said he won enough money gambling in New Orleans to complete the home in 1831. John Armstrong bought the home in 1838 and is said to haunt the upstairs front porch with his Newfoundland dog. According to oral history, runaway slaves were held in a wooden cell on the lower level and the house has also been a stop on the Underground Railroad. The cell is also thought to have been the town jail at one time. Federal & Greek Revival style.
48 316-326 Market Street * 1888
COX ROW – Built by William H. Cox in Queen Anne style, the seven row houses were referred to by the day of the week, beginning with Sunday and ending with Saturday.
54 118 East Fourth Street * 1884
SCOTT UNITED METHODIST CHURCH – First and oldest black Methodist Church established 1781 at Spalding Hill (Phisters Avenue), the city’s first free black community. Scott Methodist Episcopal Church established 1864: became connectional church in 1869. Moved to current location in 1881, built by the men of the congregation, women carried meals to the church site during construction. Church members paid for windows, seats and brass chandelier which is more than 100 years old; only source of lighting for sanctuary. Fire destroyed early records, its role in Underground Railroad is unknown. Gothic style.
a Your M
PIONEER GRAVEYARD – The city’s oldest known cemetery, located behind the Museum Center. Gravesites of Boone family members include Jacob Boone; Charles Erb Wolfe, Maysville’s 1st mayor died in 1833 Cholera epidemic; Peter Grant, uncle of Civil War General and U. S. President Ulysses S. Grant and Choctaw Warrior Indian Chief Mingo Puckshunubbe.
53 109 West Fourth Street
RAND-RICHESON ACADEMY HISTORIC MARKER – Lost to the ravages of time and neglect, Civil War Generals Ulysses S. Grant and William “Bull” Nelson attended this academy as young men. Founded by John B. Richeson, builder of Rosemary Clooney childhood home.
S. Court Street
43 221 Sutton Street
47 Middle Market Street
MARKET STREET FOUNTAIN – Given to city by John N. Thomas around 1884, moved to Market Street around 1900; once used as watering trough for horses. Fountain moved to several locations on Market Street before being moved out of downtown and placed at Beechwood Park in 1940. In 1977, fountain refurbished & returned to Market Street. Early photos show there were originally four caryatides (ladies); three on base, one in top basin.
Thomas Sloe was appointed first postmaster in 1794: Edward Harris, maternal grandfather of Confederate General Albert Sidney Johnston, was postmaster from 1797 until 1802. The postal station was a distributing point for the entire Northwest Territory, which included Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota.
Frontiersmen Simon Kenton and Thomas Williams arrived in Washington in 1775, discovering the rich cane lands Kenton had been seeking during four previous trips into the Kentucky wilderness. Ten years later, Kenton returned to the area, established his station and began recruiting families and individuals to the area. Pioneer stations resembled military forts, with blockhouses overlooking the compound. Homes were built in and around the stations as protection against Indian attack during the period known as the Twenty Years’ War (1775-1795). In the winter of 1786 a small stockade, built under heavy guard, was erected in the center of Washington.
N. Court Street
42 215 Sutton Street * 1881
MUSEUM CENTER – Given to city by James Wormald in 1876, the Maysville and Mason County Library, Historical and Scientific Association was incorporated in 1878; provided a public library until the early 1970s. 1881 building restored in 1975, becoming a museum, library and art gallery, historical and genealogical research facility. Oldest historical society in continuous existence in the state.
52 West Fourth Street at Phister Alley
BETHEL BAPTIST CHURCH SITE – Founded by former slave and Baptist Reverend Elisha W. Green in 1845. Green served as pastor for more than 30 years; original building burned in 1977. Green fought for human rights and equality throughout his life. In his biography he wrote, “I believe that the stain of slavery and its degrading impressions will long linger in the minds of generations yet unborn.” Congregation now worships at 501 Forest Avenue.
HENDRICKSON BOTTLING COMPANY – Established in 1913 by Frank Hendrickson, Hendrickson’s Bottling produced soft drinks using pure well water, drawn from an artesian well 110 feet deep. The plant was a “model of sanitation and modern efficiency” in the 1930s, bottling and capping 24 bottles a minute. When the company sold to Pepsi Cola in 1968, Hendrickson’s featured drink “Orange Punch” was still being produced.
46 221 Market Street * 1880
RINGOLD LODGE – Italian Renaissance style seen during late Victorian era. Basketball court on third floor, home of IOOF Ringgold Lodge members. Merz Brothers Department Store, est. 1901, known locally as “the one place to go for everything”, expanded into this building from its location on Second Street, making the store an “L” shape, occupying 25,000 square feet. Damage to the building’s facade occurred when an earthquake hit Maysville in 1982.
6 to 12 feet, was an indication of fertile soil, provided food for livestock and hollow poles for fishing, pipe stems, garden trellises and irrigation systems.
Washington’s role in the settlement of the American frontier was so significant, the National Parks Service has included its entire historic district and several individual buildings in its Historic American Buildings Survey program.
41 204 – 206 Sutton Street * c. 1840
51 38 West Fourth Street * 1847
was incorporated in 1786 by the Virginia Legislature and named for Revolutionary War hero George Washington, who became America’s first president in 1789. A town known in history for its many “firsts”, Washington was recorded in the first Federal Census taken in 1790 as having 462 inhabitants. It had the first postal station and first public waterworks system west of the Allegheny Mountains. Simon Kenton planted the first corn in Mason County and last but not least, Washington was the first county seat of Mason County.
BIERBOWER HOUSE – Built in the Federal style by Maysville’s first carriage maker, Jonathan A. Bierbower. According to oral history, fugitive slaves were hidden under a false floor in a small sleeping room at the front of the house in the slave quarters. Ironically, the family owned 5 slaves in 1850, by 1860 all had been freed. Home of The National Underground Railroad Museum.
40 1937 FLOOD MARKER – located on the lower right wall of 206 Court Street, this marker gives a sense of how far the Ohio River spilled over its banks during the 1937 flood. Businesses and residences from Front Street to Second Street were submerged in water up to second story levels.
45 210 Market Street * c. 1897
CIGAR STORE – The smallest building in downtown, but don’t let its size fool you. There are four levels to the building, which measures 9 feet across. The coal chute feeds into the basement beneath the sidewalk; original marble walls and floor and tin ceiling intact on the first floor. First operated as a cigar shop, Western Union moved here in 1908. Many Maysville High School students remember eating lunch here for less than $1.50 during the 1950s to 1970s.
50 24 West Fourth Street * c. 1790
FICKLIN-SHACKELFORD HOUSE – Federal style; four rooms at rear built in 1790s by Ficklin; Dr. Charles Shackelford added front portion 1820s. Local history says infantry units from both the Confederate & Union armies visited Dr. Shackelford for treatment on the same day. Both armies drank from a small well in the side yard, draining it dry. Supposedly this was the only time the well went dry.
th the Wash
39 206 Stanley Reed Court Street
STANLEY FORMAN REED LAW OFFICE – U. S. Supreme Court Justice 1938 – 1957, involved in 1954 landmark segregation case of Brown Versus Board of Education. Born in Minerva, KY, Reed served two terms in KY General Assembly, was general counsel for Federal Farm Board during Hoover Administration; served as general counsel for Reconstruction Finance Corporation 1932 – 1935; March 1935 named Solicitor General by President Franklin D. Roosevelt, named Supreme Court Justice by Roosevelt in 1938.
38 208 Stanley Reed Court Street
SITE OF THE EAGLE – Maysville’s first newspaper established in 1814 under founders Richard and Joab Corwine. Kentucky Historian Lewis Collins became editor and owner from 1820 until 1847. His publication, Historical Sketches of Kentucky, earned him state and national fame.
MARKET STREET Originally known as Main Cross Street, Market Street has been a gathering spot for community, social and business activities. The Old Market House (c. 1829) was the second market house built in Maysville; the first stood on Sutton Street between 2nd & 3rd streets. Market Days were Wednesday and Saturday, from April to October. The presence of a Market House gave testament of a town’s prosperity. The building faced the river and had separate stalls for merchants & vendors; livestock was not permitted inside. City Council met on the second floor and it served as the morgue during the 1833 Cholera epidemic. Torn down in 1883, the Market Street Fountain now graces the spot where the Market House once stood. Today, community festivals, concerts and art shows are hosted on this turn of the century thoroughfare, where trolley tracks can still be seen.
STANLEY REED COURT STREET
PAXTON INN – A favorite meeting place for lawyers and citizens to discuss politics and other issues of the day, including slavery. The Kentucky Telephone Company opened an exchange in the old inn after it passed through several owners. In 1966, the telephone company presented the building to the Limestone Heritage Foundation along with a cash gift to go toward restoration, which was led by the Limestone Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution. Antique quilts, buttons and period artifacts on display.
OLD CHURCH MUSEUM – Methodist Episcopal Church South; slavery issue split church into Methodist Episcopal Church North and South: this church was built with a separate slave gallery which was removed during renovation in 1970s. Non-denominational museum contains religious artifacts. Rondel’s, originally from St. Patrick’s Church in Maysville, depict four gospels: Matthew (Man/Wisdom), Mark (Lion/Nobility), Luke (Ox/Strength) and John (Eagle/Swiftness).
25 2014 Old Main Street * 1805
MURPHY-LASHBROOKE HOME – Built by William Murphy, Washington’s third postmaster; native woods used throughout home. Home illustrates transition between 18th and 19th century architectural style & form. Washington’s first newspaper The Mirror was established at this site in 1787 by William Hunter and William Beaumont. Francis Taylor purchased the printing press and all printing materials in 1799. *Private Residence
26 Old Main Street * c. 1789
MARKER at SITE OF FIRST POSTAL STATION – West of the Allegheny Mountains. Originally located at the northern end of Main Street; first postal station in Kentucky, before it was formed as a state from Virginia, was located in Mason County. It was a distributing point for the Northwest Territory which included Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota.
27 Old Main Street * 1787
MEFFORD’S STATION – Authentic log cabin contains timber from broad horn (flatboat) that carried George Mefford and his family down the Ohio River in 1785. In 1787 Mefford left the safety of Kenton’s Station to build his own station on what is now Maple Leaf Road; cabin moved to Old Washington in 1969. Mefford’s son John, born in Dec. 1787, was the 3rd child born in Mason County. Mefford, his wife Malinda and 13 children lived in the cabin.
30 2004 Green Street * c. 1800
FEDERAL HILL – Built by Captain Thomas Marshall, first Clerk of the Mason County Court and brother of U. S. Supreme Court Chief Justice John Marshall (1801-1835). The home is also known as the “House on the Hill” & the “Marshall House”. Marshall had substantial landholdings in Mason County and was a slave owner. Documentation exists that Marshall invested in the slave trade through slave agent John Anderson, also of Mason County. Slave quarters on property. Owned by Marshall descendants. *Private Residence
31 U.S. Hwy 68 & U.S. Hwy 62
WASHINGTON BAPTIST CHAPEL & CEMETERY This log cabin, originally the Licking Locust Baptist Church, was moved and re-constructed on site of the first Baptist Church in Washington, which was destroyed by fire twice. Listed on the National Historic Register, the cemetery contains gravesites of early pioneers, Revolutionary War soldiers, Indians, slaves and famous Indian fighters Capt. James Ward and his brother Charles Ward.
32 U.S. Hwy 68 * c. 1795
WOOD HOUSE – George & Elizabeth (Whiteman) Wood arrived at Fox’s Station in 1785; their fifth child, Dolly, was the first white female born in Mason County. This home replaced the family’s log cabin; one request of the builder was for a room large enough for dancing. It is said Elizabeth brought the first peony bulbs to Kentucky. Owned by Wood descendants. *Private Residence
33 2023 U.S. Hwy 68 * 1807
CEDAR HILL – built by John Chambers who served with General William Henry Harrison and was a two-term U. S. Congressman. Generals Harrison and U.S. Grant visited here, as well as the Marquis de Lafayette, Henry Clay and John J. Crittenden. Chambers married Margaret Taylor, sister of prosperous attorney and Mason County Clerk of the Court Francis Taylor. After her death, Chambers married Taylor’s other sister, Hannah in 1807. Chambers was appointed Territorial Governor of Iowa 1841-1845. *Private Residence
28 1934 Old Main Street * c. 1785
FOX-BICKLEY RESIDENCE – This two-story, double pen Post-and-Beam frame dwelling is thought to be oldest home in the county, log cabin structure exists under clapboard. In 1871 property transferred to Angeline Bickley; remained in Bickley family until 2004, when it was purchased by a local preservation group. Artifacts from the site provide good evidence of some type of structure, fence or enclosure on the original lot, which some believe could have been “Fox’s Station”.
29 U.S. Hwy 68
ST PATRICK CEMETERY – Situated between two large cedar trees near the Green St. entrance and the cemetery chapel is the gravesite of Rosemary Clooney (1928-2002).
THROUGHOUT VILLAGE VISITORS WILL NOTICE REPRODUCED WELLS THAT WERE TYPICAL DURING THE SETTLEMENT AND GROWTH OF WASHINGTON.
Guided Tour Public Restroom
Photography by Terry Prather
Published on Mar 17, 2011