Page 1

The day is Sunday 15 September 2003.

There are tears in my  eyes  and  there is  an eery  silence  in  the room, I  begin  to  unpack  my  stuff and organize the  room,  but  I  can't  get  over  the  feeling,  Mum  and  Dad  have  left  and  I  am  alone.  Once  I  have  unpacked everything  I   decide  it  is  time  to  go  and  explore  and  I  end  up  at  the  Stumble  Inn,  the  student  union  of  the college.  I  am  sick  with  nerves  and  I  call  my  best  friend  at  the  time,  Simon  Ochyra. We  chat for a  while and then  I  go  inside,  I   buy   a  pint  of   lager  and  sit  down, a  group  of  guys join me and  soon my  nerves  go  after five pints  and  the  first  night  at  Myerscough  is  nearly  at  an  end.  I  briefly  meet   one  of  the  guys  staying  in  the same  block  as  me  but  he  says  next  to   nothing  and  I   go  to  bed  without having  had a drink  with  the  people  I would  be  staying  with,  something  which   would   cause  me  discomfort  over   the   first   few  weeks  of  my time  in Bilsborrow.

Over the  next  few  days   my  discomfort levels  grew  because  I was  not  getting  to  know  anyone  in  my  block,  it wasn't  that  I didn't  want to though,  I suppose our paths  just never  really  crossed and  pretty soon  it was clear that  they  thought  I  was  some  sort  of  loner   who  wasn't  interested  in  socializing.  The  distance  between  us grew  further  when  they  decided  to  bang  on  my  window  on  the  way  back  from  a  night  out,  and one  evening when  I  had  returned  from  watching  football  there  was  a  road  sign outside my  door. Looking  back on  it now  I would  probably  have  handled  the  situation  differently  if  I  had  a  little  more  experience   of  living  with  other people  and  a  little  more  self­confidence,  but  University  is  a   place   of  learning  and  not  just  academically. Because   I  was  detached  and   out   of  sync  with  the  rest  of  the  block  I  had   to  operate   independently  and  go and get myself out there, so I went for a walk to discover the wider area around the college.

Myerscough College  originated  in  the  first  agricultural  courses  to  be   run  by  the  County  Council  in Lancashire,  at  the  Harris  Institute  (then  known   as  the  Preston  Institution  for  the  Diffusion   of  Knowledge)  in Avenham  in  1892.   In  1894  a   farm   and  land  at  Hutton,   south  of  Preston  were  purchased,   and  the  County Council Agricultural School was established. To this was added a base at Winmarleigh Hall, in 1948.

In 1962  the  current  farms  and  land  at  Myerscough  were  aquired  for  the  College   to  expand,  and  in  1969 Myerscough  became  the  main  base  for  the  College,  when,  as  the  Lancashire   College   of  Agriculture   and Horticulture,  it   was  opened  by  the  Queen.   In  1993  the  College  was   incorporated,  becoming  independent  of the County Council, and renamed Myerscough College.

In 1997  the  College  left  the  Winmarleigh   site,  and  in  1999  the  Hutton   site  was  sold.  At   this  time  the Fitzherbert  Brockholes  building  was  completed  at  Myerscough,  and  the  Queen  returned  to  open   the  new building. (courtesy of

The college   is  located  along  St  Michael's  Road  in  the  village  of  Bilsborrow,  8  miles   north  of  Preston.  The village  has  a  premier  inn,  three  pubs  and   the  Guy's  Thatched  Hamlet,  it  sits  on the banks of  the  Lancaster Canal  and  is  a  frequent  destination  for  the  students  of  the  college  when  wanting  a  quick  pint  instead  of travelling on the bus or by car into Preston.

My unease  at  the  situation  with  my  fellow  students  in  my   block  grew  more  unsettling  and  I  contacted  the person  responsible  for  accommodation,  Shirley   Tait,  and  discussed  the  possibility  of   moving  into  a  block with  friends  I  had  made  from  my  course.  7  weeks  into  my  time  at  the  college  I   secured  the  move  as  their was  a  classmate  who wanted to  make  the  alternative  view. I  was starting  to  develop friendships  and  become more  socially  active,  but  it  took some time  and to be  honest  it was only really in the  second and third years that I felt truly comfortable with going out so regularly and meeting people.

The college was, for me, home for three years. It had pretty much everything I needed.

A place  to   eat,  watch  television,  sleep  and  use  the  internet;  A  place   to  go and  drink,  meet  new  people  and have fun; A place to study in peace and quiet and, of course, a place to play the sport of my life ­ Golf.

I took  up  golf   at  the   age  of  11   but   it  was  never  my  intention  originally  to  study  golf  management,  after attending  an  event  at   the  University  of   Bath  I  was  set  on going to  Liverpool  John  Moores University to study Sports   Journalism.  But   a  feature  on  Sky  Sports  World  of  Golf   programme  inspired   me  and  changed  my mind. The  feature showed  Myerscough  and from then  on I  was  set on  going  there.  This was a  big  decision. It had implications for all of my family and it was not easy, until we attended the open day.

That damp,  grey  Saturday  morning  was   the  moment   my  parents  were  convinced  and  it  was  the  moment  I knew  I  was  making  the  correct  decision.  At  the  age  of  18  I  was  diagnosed  with  high­functioning  Asperger Syndrome,  so   the  University  I  chose  depended  quite  heavily   on  the  level  of  support  offered  by  the  college. The  support  for  disabled  people  at  Myerscough  is  among  the  best  in  the  country  and  the  institution  has received  recognition  for  its  work  with  disabled  people.   Without  this  support  I  would  never  have  made  it through the first year, let alone the three years.

The college   also  has  almost  unrivalled  facilities   for  golf  on  a  university  campus  in  the  UK,  with  a  nine­hole golf  course,   driving  range  and  indoor  practice  and  teaching  facilities.  The  golf  management  course  is led  by a  golf  professional  ­  Rick  Daniels  and  during  my  time at the college  I was taught by Dominic Sainsbury  and Greg  Thorpe,  also   golf   professionals.  As well  as  Drew  Wallace,  who  was  a  decent  amateur  golfer playing off single  figures  at  the  time.  The  college  also   had  Stuart  Blair  and   Andrew  Marr  who  were  teaching professionals and gave lessons on the golf lesson day, which was Thursday each week in the golf academy.

Rick Daniels'  support  throughout  the  three  years  I  spent   at  Myerscough  was  absolutely  vital,   without  it  I would  have  struggled  to  get   through  to  the   end.  He  was   there  to  help  with  problems  regarding  my  studies and  much  more,  his  professionalism is  unwavering  but  he  isn't distant  and doesn't  rule with  an  iron  fist like  a lecturer  from  years  gone  by.  He  treats   all   students  like  adults  and   in  turn  gains  their  respect  for  doing  so, and  he  communicates  the  topic  and  information  clearly  and  in  detail.   In  the  last  7  years  since  leaving Myerscough  I  have   remained  in  touch  with  Rick  and I  will  be meeting  up again  with  him  shortly at the Alfred Dunhill Links Championship in St Andrews.

The support  of   the  staff,  the  facilities  and  the  other   students  helped  to   make  my  time  at  Myerscough  the most  exciting  and  fulfilling  time  of  my  life,  it set  me  on the road to  being  an independent  adult  and  proved  to myself  I  could  operate  in  the  world  despite  the  difficulties that  I have. I  would  recommend Myerscough to any young  golfer  looking  to  get  into  the  industry,  but  I  would  also  recommend  the  college  to  sports,  equine, floristry and students of any discipline. It does what it says on the tin,

Providing Opportunities for All.

The morning of Monday 16 September.

Enrolment day.

The nerves  are  at  their  highest  but  this   time  it is  because  I am excited, the real  reason  I am 220  miles from home   is  to  study  for  a  Foundation  Degree  in  Golf  and   Leisure  Management,  not  to   go  out  to  the  pub  and drink  myself  to   sleep.  It  is  a  glorious  sunny  day  in  Lancashire  and  the  day  begins  with  a  presentation  in what  is  now the equine arena. There are  literally thousands of chairs  laid out in this  enormous room,  another daunting  thing  at  the  start  of  my  time  away  from  home  for  the  first  time.  I  make  my way  into  the  room and sit  on  the   end  of  the  row  next  to  a  quiet,   unassuming  chap  wearing  a   golf   cap,  we  get  chatting  and  to  my relief  he  is  doing  the  same  course  as  me.  Paul  Prescott  would  go  on  to   become  my  closest   friend throughout  the  three  years  at  Myerscough  and  UCLan,  even  though  he  lived  off  campus  in  Lostock  Hall,  a suburban village south of Preston.

Following the  presentation   we  made  our  way   to  the  library  to  enrol  as  a   Myerscough  student  and  after queueing  it  was  my  time.  "Ah  it's  your  birthday",  "Yes"  I  replied,  "Happy  Birthday" the lady said.  It  was  my 20th  birthday   and  I  was  celebrating   it  by  starting  University,  following  the  enrolment   we  went  to  meet  our lecturers  and   be  inducted  into  the  Foundation  Degree  Golf  and  Leisure  Management  course  and  meet   our classmates.  I  sat   in  the  back  row  with  Paul  and  a  lad  with a scouse  accent,  Phil Waine  would  become my closest  friend  at  the  college  during  the  first  year,  we  had  a lot  in  common  and  we got on  really  well.  On the Wednesday  the  college  was  running  trips  into  Preston  to   attend  the  UCLan  Freshers   Fayre  and  Phil  and  I went,  I  remember  him  buying  1,000  condoms  and  me  thinking  "well  I  won't   have  any  need  for  those"  given my pathetic track­record with girls at that time, so I didn't buy any!

Phil and  I  went  on  to  have  a  close   friendship  during  the  first  year  and  we  played  golf  on  a   couple  of occasions  at  Preston  Golf  Club,  Marriott  Worsley  Park  and  Ingol  Golf  Club  as   well  as  going  to  the  driving range  numerous  times.  We  also  played  a  few  times  on  the  9  hole  golf  course  at  Myerscough,  a  place  I would  spend  a  great  deal  of  time  during  the  weekends,   on  one  Sunday  I  even  played  it  three  times,  such was  the  lack  of  other things  to  be doing  on  site  in  the  early weeks  of  my time  at  University. After  moving  into Conder  Hall  following  weeks  of  struggle   in  my  initial  hall,  Ribble,  I   got  to  know  other  members  of  my class better  including   Ed  Johnson,  Ben  Thompson,  Steve  Parkinson  and  Tom  Foster,   Tom   and  I  would  not  see eye­to­eye and we suffered a major breakdown in our relationship.

This was,  however,  after  myself,  Phil,   Ben,  Steve  and  Tom  had  joined   Rick  Daniels  and  the  Myerscough sports  studies   group  on  a   'study'   trip  to  Disneyland  Paris,  what  an  experience!  We  went  to  the  Stade  de France  to  do  the  stadium  tour  and  I  got  to  sit  in  front  of  the  France  world   cup  winning   shirts  including

Arsenal legends  like  Henry,  Petit  and  Vieira.  After  the  tour  it  was   on  to  the  resort  and  checking  in  to  our hotel,  we  all  gathered  in  the  Disney  Village  for  food  and  drink  that  first evening  before  I went  to Paris  with a guy  whose   name  completely  escapes  me  from the sports  group,  it  turned  out  to  be quite an  adventure! I  am not  worried  about  admitting  I   nearly  shit  myself  just  thinking  about  going  on a rollercoaster  so  the  appeal  of Disney for me was more Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck than Space Mountain, and its proximity to Paris.

I really wanted  to  visit the Eiffel Tower so we  got  on the double­decker  train  from  Disneyland to Paris  and  got off  to  begin  our  hunt  for  the  tower,  it  proved  to  be  a  long  and  eventful  day. Maybe  it  was just us  two but we couldn't  find  signs  directing  us   to  the  tower  anywhere,  or  signs  to  direct  the  rookie  tourist around  the  most popular  tourist  destination  in  the  world.  It took  us  at least  an hour to walk to  the  tower, we  spent  around half an  hour  there  but  we  didn't  go  up  the  tower  as it  was  super  busy.  It  may have  taken us an  hour  to  get  there but  it   took  three  to  get  back  as the lack  of signs  and our lack of familiarity  with the city  saw  us  take several wrong  turns.  We  had  an   impromptu  tour  of  Paris  but  we   didn't  have  time  for  much  else,  I  would  love  to  go back one day and do it properly as we spent the majority of the day walking aimlessly.

Once we  got  back  on  the  train  to  Disneyland  I  think  we were  both  a  little relieved  and fed  up.  In the evening there  was  a  spare  ticket  for  the  park  going  and  I  joined  Phil,  Steve,  Tom  and  Ben, they  convinced me to go on  a  ride,  the  aforementioned  Space  Mountain,  I  didn't  shit  myself  but  almost  everything  but,  at  least I  can say  I  went  on  a  ride  at   Disneyland!  We  then  had  a  meal  at  Planet  Hollywood  with  the  rest of the group  and the  evening   came  to  a  close.  The  following  night   we  ate  in  another   restaurant  and  went  to  the  now defunct Hurricanes Night Club which was open until 5 am.

The trip  came  to  an   end  on  the  Friday  and   we  travelled  back  by   bus  to  Preston  via  the  ferry  across  the channel.  It  proved  to  be  a  very  long  journey,  as  one  of  the  tyres   on  the  bus  burst  and  we  had  to  have  a replacement   bus  collect  us  on   the   M1,  we  got  back  to  the  college   very  late.  It  was  the  night  before  the Rugby   World   Cup  Final   between  England  and  Australia  and  some  of us were planning  to go  to  the  Stumble Inn  to  watch  it,  as  the  college  had  agreed  to  open  the  bar  early  for  students  to  watch  it.  Absolutely knackered  from  the  journey  I  overslept  and  woke  up  during extra  time! I  did manage to  see  the  moment  that mattered though, the drop goal from Jonny Wilkinson to win England the World Cup!

The first  year's  study  included  a  golf  project,  which  I  used  to  assess  the  status  of  Tiger  Woods  as  the world's  greatest  sportsman,  a   very  relevant  topic  in 2003.  I  constructed  a  survey with a  number  of  questions relating  to  sportsmen  including  Ali,   Beckham,  Wilkinson,   Pele   and  Tiger.   The  first  year  also  included Marketing  for  Golf, a subject  I excelled  in  and  one which  would  lay the foundations  for  my  dissertation  during the  top­up  year.  I  have  always  been  interested  in   the   marketing  and  promotion  of  events,  products  and specifically  golf and  I  think  it  is  fair  to  say  that  if you find something interesting and  fun  you  do well  at  it.  Golf

Retail and  Repair,  Coaching  Theory  and  Golf  Club  Operations  were  also  modules  in  a   first   year  which  was enjoyable,  educating  and  fun,  but  also emotional  and difficult.  In the first few  weeks  I met  Denise Jarvis,  who was  to  be  my  learning  support  mentor,  we  built up  a  relationship  and Denise  was  much  more of  a mentor  to me and helped me through three very demanding years emotionally, socially and of course academically.

Year one would prepare me for the future.

Late on  in  the  first  year  Phil,  Steve,  Ed,  Ben,   Tom   Miles  and   Gareth  Irwin were looking  for  a  place to  live in Preston  for  the  second  year,  I  wasn't  sure  about  it  but  after  a   while  I  decided  it was what  I  wanted.  Myself, Paul  Prescott  and  James  Shepherd  then  spent  the  summer  caddying  in  Northern Ireland at  the  magnificent Royal  County  Down  Golf   Club  in  the  seaside  town  of   Newcastle.  See  "Adventures  of  an  English   Caddie  in Ireland"  for   more  information  on  the  first  of  two  memorable  summers.  At  the  end  of the  summer is  the  2004 Ryder  Cup,  which  I  watch  the  first day of at  home  on  the Friday before mum  and  dad take  me  up to Preston on  the   Saturday,  to  my  absolute  horror  and  embarrassment  there  were  pictures  of  page  three  girls  all  over the  lounge  and  on  Steve's  door   a  picture  of   a girl  performing  a  favour for a  guy, hardly  the  welcome  I  wanted to  give  my  parents  to  the  place  I  was  potentially  going  to  spend two years living  in.  The  big mistake I  made was  deciding   to  live  with  the  guys   in  that  house  without  viewing  it  first,  the  room  I  had  was  not   even  big enough  for   the  bed  as  the  bed  had  been  squeezed  in  and   had  broken  the  temperature  control  on  the radiator.

When I   went  to put my  CD's  on  the  shelf  above  my bed  the  shelf fell off  the  wall,  already doubts were setting in,  I  slept  on  it  and  woke  up  early  on  Sunday  morning,   I  went for a  walk  and immediately  phoned  mum  and dad.  They  were  very  unhappy  with  the  place  and  I  shared  their  concerns, it  wasn't just the  house  that  I had concerns  about,  it  was   going  to  cost  me  significantly  more  than  the  other  guys  travelling  to  the  college because  I  had  extra  days  where  I  had   to  be  there  to  meet  Denise  for  learning  support.  I  discussed  it  with Paul  Prescott,  who  was  by  now  my  closest  friend  and  when  we   went  to  the  college  for  our  first  day  of  the second  year  I  stayed  behind  to  talk  to  Shirley Tate about  moving  back to  the halls  at  Myerscough. She was more than accommodating and the decision was made.

What followed  was  one  of  the  hardest  afternoons   of  my  life,  I   had  to  break  the  news  to the guys  that  I was leaving,  Phil  was   particularly  upset  and  angry,  I  could understand his  point of  view  but  in that  situation I  had to  do  what  was  best  for  me.  The  atmosphere  was  such  in  the  house   that  I  rang  Shirley   at  the  college and asked  if  I  could  move  in  that  evening, she  said  yes and  I gathered  some  things together  and  left  on the  bus. The  next  day  Paul  packed  up  all  my  stuff  in  his  car  and  we  drove  to  the  college  to  move   in  properly.  The accommodation  I  was  moving  in   to  was  brand  new,  self­catering,  en­suite  and   had  internet   access.  I  was welcomed   by  two  familiar  faces,  Nick  Culverwell  (AKA  Rambo)  and   Dan  Betts, as  well as  three  girls;  Faye,

Katie and  Emma  studied  Equine  and  living   with  girls   and  people  who  did  a different course would make  the second  year  memorable. I  grew particularly  fond of Faye  but  never  had the courage to say anything  because I  didn't  want  to   ruin  the  atmosphere  in  the  flat,  despite  going  out  for  numerous  meals   and  drinks  with  her, Katie and several of their friends.

In the  second  year  the  subject  I  had  a  real   passion  for   was  the  Golf   Event  Management  module;  Myself, Paul,  Dan  Betts  and  Steve  Wynne  formed  a  group  to  run  an   event,  we   decided  upon  the  Myerscough College  Open  Championship  played  on  a  links  course  in  the  North West  of  England. We  approached Royal Birkdale,   Southport  and  Ainsdale,  St  Anne's  Old  Links, Fairhaven and  Wallasey  Golf  Club.  Myself and  Paul had  played  Wallasey  the  previous  April  and  we  knew   it  was  a  truly  spectacular  links  near   Liverpool,  the event attracted 39 entries and we had a glorious day for it.

Other subjects  included  finance   for  golf,  resource  management,  a   work  experience  module  (see   caddying) and  professional  golf  practice.  During  the  last  few months  of  the  second  year  I  was  considering deferring my entry  to  the  top­up  for  a  year  in  order  to  earn  more  money  to  make  the  third  year  more  comfortable.  I eventually   decided  against  it  and  entered  the  top­up  course  in  the  autumn  of  2005.  Once  again  I  was fortunate enough to be allowed to stay in halls on the Myerscough campus.

I returned  to  Myerscough  shortly  after  my  22nd  birthday  and  was  luck  enough to be  placed  in  the  same  flat as  Johnny  Paine,   Jay  Saycell,  Martin  Kelly   and  Chris   Horn,  Chris  was  from Bournemouth and  we  shared a bit  in  common,  my  uncle  and  cousins  had  moved  to  the  south  coast  town  a  few  years  earlier  and Bournemouth  is  only  around  50  miles   from   my own home  town.  Johnny  was  a  big guy from Bolton who was a  passionate  Bolton Wanderers  fan,  we would enjoy a  great year  especially  when  Bolton  played  Arsenal  and invariably  beat  us!   If  I  am  being  honest  I  never  expected  to  become  good  friends  with  Jay   but  we  did   and  I actually  kept  in  touch   with  him  more  than   any   of  the  other  guys   after   leaving.  Martin  was   a  quiet  guy  from Penrith  but  we all enjoyed  each others company  and  played  a lot  of  golf  together.  The atmosphere was great in  that  flat,  especially  with  the  opposite  flat   being  full  of  fun­loving  and  friendly  girls,  it  was  a  really memorable year for all of us.

All of  the  guys were first year  golf  students  and  I somehow  felt beholden  to help  them  as  a  third year student myself,  hopefully  my  advice  paid off  for  them! The  top­up  year  was  split between classes  at Myerscough and lectures   at  UCLan  in  the  city  of  Preston. The  course  then  included a  module which  would ruin my dreams  of graduating  with   more  than  a  Foundation  Degree,  Strategic  Management  was  a   poorly  taught,  uninteresting and  irrelevant  module  which  I failed twice. It  also  included  Career  Development,  Contemporary Issues  in  Golf (optional),  Golf  Event  Management  and  a  10,000  word  dissertation  (optional).  After  meeting  with  my dissertation  tutor  I  settled  on  a  topic   for  the  investigation, Marketing and  Promotion.  'The  pragmatism  of the

marketing and  promotion   of  the  Open  Championship  ­  Hoylake  2006'  was  the  grand   title  of  my dissertation and  I  would  narrowly  pass  the  module   with  43%.  Once  again  Golf  Event  Management  was  my  passion  and myself,  Paul  Prescott,  Douglas  Kibble  and  Tim  Pacey  would  plan  and  run the 'Rush Cup'  at Pleneuf de  Val Andre  in  Brittany,  France.   The  5­day  trip   was  attended  by  15  students   in  May  of  2006  and  we  would  pass the module.

The end  of the  third  year  was particularly  demanding,  I  had a  lot of  work  to do  for  the  event,  mainly  because I had  taken  too   much  work  on  my   shoulders  and  not  delegated  to  the  other  members   of  the  group.  I  knew  I was  struggling  with   the  Strategic  Management  module  and  once  again  I had  fallen  for a girl  and not  had the outgoing  personality  to   get  her.  Nicole  was  a   student  in  the  same  group  as  Johnny,  Jay,   Martin  and  Chris and  one  afternoon  I  was  on   the   putting   green  with  Johnny  having  a  36­hole  match, I  was  putting  like  a  god. Then  this  incredible   looking  girl  came  on  to  the  green  with   a  few  of  her  mates  from  the  course,  I  went  to pieces,  three­putting  every  hole   and  Johnny  turned  certain  defeat  into  unlikely  victory! I  can't  remember  how but  we  got  each  others'   number  and  we  exchanged   texts  and  eventually  she  came  on  the   trip   to  France.  I desperately  wanted  to tell  her  that  I fancied  her  but  couldn't pluck  up the courage to  do  so in person so  I text her.  On  the  trip  home  on  the  ferry  I   went  up  to  her  and  sat  with  her  and  told  her  I  liked her  and  we chatted and  got  to   know  each  other  a  bit  better.   Maybe   my  timing  was  bad  as  well  but it  didn't work  out  and it  was probably an unnecessary stress on top of everything else.

We returned  from France  in  time  for  Arsenal's  UEFA Champions League  final against Barcelona  and  myself, Johnny,   Jay  and  Chris  went  to  Guy's Thatched  Hamlet  to  watch  the  game.  The moment that  Sol  Campbell's header  hit  the  back  of   the  net will stay with me forever, and  likely  will  do with  Johnny, I  leapt  into  the  air and shook  Johnny   violently,  I  was  euphoric,  Arsenal  had  taken  the  lead against  Barcelona  in  the  biggest  match on  earth!  We  lost  and  we  all  went  out  into  Preston  anyway! My  time at  Myerscough  came  to an  end  shortly after  and  with  nothing  better  to   do  I  set  up  a  second   summer   of  caddying  in   Ireland  prior  to  re­sitting  the Strategic  Management  exam.   The  summer  of  2006  was  the  most  memorable  of  my  life,  caddying  at  Royal County  Down  and  across  Ireland  for  Stephen Sweeney, it  was  epic! I  returned to Preston  to  do the re­sit and knew  instantly  that  I  had  failed, I  returned to  Ireland  for  the  next  two  months  as planned  and enjoyed  a  great time during the Ryder Cup at the Mourne Golf Club and I even set the quiz for the afternoon!

Following the  end  of   the   season   I  returned   to  Preston  to  stay  for  a  few  days  with  Johnny,  Jay,  Chris and  a couple  of  their  new  flatmates  and we  worked  at  St  Andrews in  the  Dunhill Links. After  this  it  was  out  into  the big,  bad  world  and  the  best  three  years  of  my  life  were  over.  I  returned  to  Woolworths  but  was  continually looking  for  that  big  break  in  the  golf  industry.  It  was  proving  very difficult  but  I persisted and  in  May of 2007 I got  the  chance  to  work  at  The   Gleneagles  Hotel  in  the  Golf  Shop,  I  played  dozens   of  rounds  of golf on  the Kings,  Queens  and  PGA  Centenary  Courses  and  enjoyed  my  time  immensely,  unfortunately  a  personal

financial error  saw  me  leave  the  job  much   earlier  than  I  or  my  colleagues had  wished.  I  then  applied  for  and got  the  receptionists  job  at  the  Bear  Hotel  in  my  home  town  of  Devizes,  but  only  lasted  a  week  as  the support they had assured me would be there was not.

4 months  of  unemployment  ensued,  before  a  former  Woolworths  colleague  met  me  in  the  town  centre  and said  they  were   looking  for  a  cleaner  and   before  long  I   was  the  cleaner  and  working  once  more  in Woolworths,   it  was  just  like  old  times.  I   had  interviews at Celtic  Manor  and for  First  Choice but deep down I was  happy   working  somewhere   that  was  familiar  with  people  I  knew.  Then   the  fateful  evening   came  when  I broke   the   news  to  colleagues  working  the  evening  shift  that Woolworths had  gone  into  administration, I  saw it  on the  news  as  I was eating  my  dinner.  I felt  sick.  The next  two  months  were  to  be  brutal, with stock  being sold  for  next  to  nothing  and queues  the  like of which  I have never  seen  before.  Finally on  January  9,  2009  we left the building for one final time, Woolworths had been consigned to history.

The next  2  and  1/2  years  were  the  hardest  of  my   life,  I  applied  for  many  jobs  and  had  several  interviews including  for  the   Grove,   LGU  and  Fairmont  St   Andrews  and  in  the  winter  of   2009  I  began  a  voluntary  admin role  with  Ridgeway  Care  and  Repair,  in  the  summer  of  2010   I  ended  the  arrangement  to  search  for  paid work.  After   blowing   on  the  door  like  the  big  bad wolf in three little pigs  eventually  the  breakthrough came.  In February  of  2011  I  travelled   to  the  recruitment  day  of  the  St  Andrews  Links   Trust,  I  was  looking for a  job  in admin,  reception  or  in  the  shop,  I approached  a  guy  called  Robert  Thorpe about  the  job as  putting  attendant. After  chatting  for  a  while  he  said  that  he  was   recruiting  caddies,  I  gave  him  my   CV   and  after  agreeing to a telephone  interview  I  got  the  job   of  my  dreams.  Caddying   on  the  Old  Course  at  St  Andrews!   I  started  in mid­April.

I was  fortunate  enough  to  find  a  place   in  Windsor  Gardens, St  Andrews and  moved  in  with  a Malaysian  guy called  Choon,  he  was  a quiet but great  guy,  I really got on  well with him and  soon after another caddie  came to  stay,  Sam  Moxon.  In  June  Choon  left  to  return  to  Malaysia  and  he  was   replaced  by  a  golf  professional from  the  Duke's  course  near  St  Andrews  ­  Ayden  Robert­Jones.  Ayden  stayed  for  a  month  before  finding somewhere  else  more  suitable  to  meet  his  needs  and  for  the  rest  of  the  summer  myself  and  Sam had  the bungalow  to  ourselves.  That  summer  I  caddied  nearly  100  times  across  the  Old,  New,  Jubilee  and  Eden courses   including  once  for  the  former  jockey  Peter  Scudamore  and  three   times   in  the  2011  Alfred  Dunhill Links  Championship.  Sam  moved  out  at  the  end  of  August  to  return   to  University   and  I  had   the   place  to myself   for  a  couple  of  weeks  before  a  Danish   student  by  the  name  of  Christine  moved  in,  she  was  soon to be  followed  by  Nele  from  Switzerland  and   Aila  from  Germany,  we  had   a  fantastic  three  months  before disaster changed everything for me.

In August  I  had began my  search  for  a  winter  job,  and I  found one,  working  in  the  Chariots Bar at the Scores

Hotel. It  was  the  first  time  I  had  worked  in  a  bar  and the first few  weeks were  tough but eventually  I got  into the  swing  of  things  and   was enjoying  the  job  immensely.  Rumours began  to circulate  about the future  of  the bar  and  sure  enough  on   October  31  we  were  called  to  a  meeting  with   the   Food  and  Beverage   manager, where  we  were  given  'redundancy'  notices.  I   was  in  bits.  My  future  hung  in  the  balance and  I  only  had a few options  ­  1)  find  a  job  elsewhere   2)  take a job  working  as a  handy  man or  in  the  kitchen at  the hotel,  neither did  I  have  the  skills  to  do  3)  claim   benefits  again  or  4)  return  home.  I  fought  to  stay   in  St  Andrews   and applied  for  jobs  at  12  places  in  town  and  eventually I  got  an interview  at the Fairmont  for  a servers  job in the Squire   Restaurant,  it  was  a  three­stage  interview  and  I  made   it  through  to  meet  the  general  manager. Inexplicably  I   was  not  given  the  job  and  it  left me with dwindling  resources  and time  to  get  one. My  landlord had been great about it but just a few days before Christmas he came to visit.

He let  me  know  he  wanted  me  to  leave  the  place,  I  was   absolutely  devastated  and  could   see  my  career falling  apart   before  my  eyes.  Christine's  friend  Natascha,  and  her  boyfriend  Peter,  had   been  staying  over Christmas   and  I  emotionally   broke  the  news   to  them  before  they  went  to  Aviemore  for  their  Christmas getaway.  It  was  tough  as  I  had  become  good  friends  with  Natascha  and I  was  unable to  tell  Christine, Nele and  Aila  that  I  was  going   and  would  be  gone  before  New  Years'  Eve.  My  parents  had  arranged  to  visit anyway  but  it  turned   into  a  trip  to   collect  me.  My  best  caddie  friend  was  Paul  Marshall,  a  retired  local council  worker,  and  he  had me round  for  Christmas dinner  with  9  members  of  his  family!  It was an  incredible gesture.  Paul  also  allowed  me  to  keep  much  of  my  stuff   at  his  so  that  I  could  return  to  St  Andrews  in  the spring to start the new season of caddying.

After nearly  four  months  of  struggling  to  save  and  find  a  part  time  job   I  made  the  return  to   St  Andrews originally  with  the  intention of  staying at  the  tourist hostel while  looking  for a suitable place to live  in  the  town or   Dundee  before  beginning  my  second   season.  This  was  before  a  late  call  from  Paul  meant   that  I  would stay  at  his,  it  was   a  big  mistake  and   after   viewing  two  places  in St  Andrews and  one  in  Dundee I  ended  up having  no  choice  but  to  accept   a  place  in  St  Andrews  staying  with  the  elderly   father  of  one  of  the  caddies. The  house  didn't  have  double­glazed  windows  and  was  inadequate  in  many  ways,  one  of  which  I would find out  after  having  a  shower   the   next  morning  after  I  had  moved  in.  I  put  my  towel   to  dry  on  the  heater  and before  I  knew it  there was  smoke  everywhere,  the  dial  had  melted  and we  were probably  a few minutes  away from  having  to  call  the fire brigade! I  had  never  seen a  storage  heater  before  and I  didn't  know  of  the  potential danger  by  covering  it  with  a  towel.  It  quickly  convinced me I  had  to move out.  I approached  Dave Lindsay,  a fellow  caddie   to  see  if  I  could   stay  at  his  but  he  could  only  help  from  the  following   Monday,  fortunately  Si Grady  helped  me  out   and  I  enjoyed  staying   with  him  from  Thursday  to  Monday.  But  the  several  moves  and the  upset  of  going   from   place   to  place   had  ruined  my  routine  and  eventually  I  had  a  breakdown  on  the  golf course,  I  was  crying  uncontrollably  for  seemingly  no  reason  and  I  had  reached  the  decision  that   I  had  to take myself out of the situation.

I chatted  emotionally  with  mum  and dad  and  decided to  end  my  time  caddying  at St  Andrews.  It was not an easy  decision  but  I told Robert Thorpe  and we  parted  company,  he told me  to keep  the  badge  and bib  just  in case  that  I  ever  wanted  to  return.  The  next  12  months  would  be  the  hardest  of  my  life,  rejection  after rejection  and  job  after  job   being  missed   out   on,  it  was  even  harder  than  following  Woolworths  closure.  In September   of  2012  though  I  had  a  brainwave,   I  had  been  clogging  up  social  media  with  my thoughts  about golf  and  decided  that  I  would  start putting these  to  better use in a blog  online  and the day following  the 2012 Ryder Cup I published my very first blog ­ Golf's Greatest Day.

I never  ran  out  of  material  to  write  about  and   in  January  of  2013  a  former  Myerscough  golf  professional, Stuart  Blair  put  me  in  touch with a  former student, Stephen  Nicholson,  Stephen  runs a digital golf magazine called  Golfin  Mag  and  he  published  my  blogs  on  their  website.  Later  that  month  I  had  another  brainwave, why  not  do  this myself? So  I  approached Colin  Donaldson,  a  fellow caddie  and co­owner  of  Rascals  Bar  and owner  of  the  Melvion  Club,  about  starting  a  golf  magazine  in  St   Andrews,  The  Home  of  Golf.  This  required me  to  be  in  St  Andrews,  but  despite  saying   I  could  return  the  caddie  master  went back  on his  promise  and left  me  desperately   searching  for  work   so  that  I  could  make  the   dream  of  a  golf  magazine  in  St  Andrews become  reality.   After  three  trips  from  the  South  of  England  and  one  from  Cologne   (yes,  Cologne!)  I  finally had the break I needed.

I was  in  the  St  Andrews  Golf  Club  with  Colin  having  a  meeting  about  the  magazine and  we  went for a  drink and  sat  next   to  Shaun  Singer,  former  caddie  assistant  and  son  of  Lena,  the  bar  manager   at  the   New   Golf Club.  "My  mum  needs   someone"  he  said, "she  needs  someone  reliable and who  could be  there longer than a  student".  So  I  went  to  meet  Lena  the  next  day  and  after  a  short  interview  and  tour  of  the  golf  club  the  job was  mine.  Adding  the  New  Golf  Club  to  Gleneagles,  St   Andrews  Links  and  Royal  County   Down  was something which made me immensely proud and the magazine was set to become reality.

In have  now  been  working   at  the   New   Golf  Club  for  nearly  five  months   and  the  magazine  project  is  moving along  slowly  but  surely  towards  a launch. I  am  staying  in  the St Andrews  Tourist  Hostel  and tonight I  will  be celebrating   my  30th  birthday  with   around  20  people  at  Rascals Bar and  the Vic in St  Andrews.  Following  12 months  of  the   hell  of  unemployment  I   am   now  at  peace  and  now  focused on  the  future  of  owning  one  of  the world's  great  new   golf  publications  and  working  in  one  of  the  great  golf  clubs  of  the  world.  It  has  taken  10 years  but  finally  my  dreams of a career in the golf industry  have  been  fulfilled and none  of  it would have  been possible  without  attending  Myerscough  College. The  last  decade  has  been  like  a rollercoaster, hopefully the next   decade  will  be  slightly  less   up  and  down  but  nevertheless   I  am  ready  for  whatever  life  throws  at  me. Here's to the future!

I asked  several  past  students  who I  studied  and lived with to recall their  experiences  and share  a  little about themselves,  and  how  Myerscough  has  helped  them   get  to   where  they  are  in  2013.  This  blog  was completed with the assistance and expressed permission of all featured.

Chris Hanson Challenge Tour professional

HooperstarGolfer: Recall your first day at Myerscough

Chris Hanson:  "I  had  already  been  to  an   Open  Day,  so  kind  of  knew  my  way  around,  also  a  friend  started with me that first day so it was pretty easy.

I remember  everyone  sat  around  introducing  themselves,  where   they  are from,  golf  handicap  and ambitions. At  the  time  I   was  the  lowest   handicap  to  start  that  year  so  you  kind of get accepted straight  away,  not  that it should be that way… but that's sport I guess"

HooperstarGolfer: What is your current situation? (employment, location etc.)

Chris Hanson:  "I  am  living  in  Huddersfield,  as  always  have  (other  than  Myerscough)  and  I  have  played  full

time Professional Golf since leaving the college the summer of 2005."

"Loved every minute ­ my own boss and get to travel the world playing a sport I love."

HooperstarGolfer: Where in the world have you been since leaving Myerscough College?

Chris Hanson:  "My  golf  career   has  taken  me  to  24  countries  across  5  continents  including  Austria,   La Gomera,   UAE,  India,  Colombia,  Finland,  Norway,  Russia,   Kazakhstan,  Kenya,   Czech  Republic,   France, Spain,  Portugal,  Germany,  Switzerland,  Italy,  Azores,  Lanzarote, Scotland, Wales, Ireland,  Northern  Ireland and England"

HooperstarGolfer: Was  it  always  your  ambition  to  go  to  Myerscough  and  study  golf?   Were  there other options for you?

Chris Hanson:  "My  only   other  option   would   of  been  to  go  to  college  in  Huddersfield studying  sport  I guess. But since the age of 14 I knew Myerscough was the place for me. Golf, golf and more golf!!"

HooperstarGolfer: Has Myerscough helped you get where you are now and if so how?

Chris Hanson: "100% ­ if  it was  not  for  college,  I would never  have  played as  much  golf  as i did, my  bedroom was  50   yards  from  the  chipping  green.  If I  would  of  been  at  home,  I could never  have practiced  as  much as I did there!"

"Also getting  to  compete  all  the  time  with  the  tour  at  Myerscough   and  with  friends  at  the  9  hole  course there."

HooperstarGolfer: What are your best memories of Myerscough College?

Chris Hanson:  "Playing  golf  everyday  with  my  best  mates,  and  still  seeing   those  same  mates   now!!!  So many great memories!!! Too many to list, and many I can't!"

Phil Waine Golf Operations Manager / Golf Professional at Abu Dhabi National Golf Club, UAE

HooperstarGolfer: Recall your first day at Myerscough

Phil Waine:  "My  first  day  at  Myerscough  was  a  nervous  but  exciting  occasion as  it was  the  first  time  that  I lived  away  from  home   and  didn’t  know  anyone  that  attended  the  College.  However  I  was  really   looking forward to the experience and the year ahead."

"I remember  our  first  class  that  we  attended  after the initial  introduction with the principle  which  was  hosted by  Rick  Daniels.  In  that  session   we  all  had  to  introduce  ourselves  to  everyone  by describing  ourselves in 3 words. This is when Glenn Lowry described himself in those 3 famous words: Booze, fanny and chips"

"In the   class  I  sat  next  to   +Matt  Hooper  and  Paul  Prescott  in   the   middle  back  row  and  my  answer  to  the question was quite standard and boring like hardworking, determined, honest etc."

"The rest  of   the   day   was  just  getting  to  know  our  fellow  classmates  and  looking  at  the  on­site  facilities.  I remember  standing  next  to  Gaz  Irwin  in  the  library as  he was wearing  his  horrendous Liverpool cream away shirt from 97. If he was wearing his Burberry shirt that day then I probably wouldn’t have spoken to him."

"Looking back  at  those  three  years  there  we  had  a  great  group  of   people   in  our   class  and  an  exceptional group of lecturers in Rick, Drew and Dom."

HooperstarGolfer: What is your current situation? (employment, location etc.)

Phil Waine:  "I  am  currently  the  Golf  Operations  Manager  at  Abu  Dhabi  Golf  Club   managed  by   Troon  Golf which  is  host  to  the  Abu  Dhabi  HSBC  Championship.  I  am  also   a  PGA  Qualified   Professional  were  I graduated   in  2012   from   the  PGA.  Currently  I  am  living  in  Abu  Dhabi,   the  capital  city  of   the  United  Arab Emirates."

HooperstarGolfer: Where in the world have you been since leaving Myerscough College?

Phil Waine:  "After  working  for  2  years  at  local Golf Clubs in Merseyside  after  graduating I  eventually  got  my big  break by  working  at  the  Marriott  Forest  of  Arden in the Midlands as a Golf Coordinator.  After two and half years here I then made the move to Abu Dhabi as Tournament Coordinator."

HooperstarGolfer: Was  it  always  your  ambition  to  go  to  Myerscough  and  study  golf?   Were  there other options for you?

Phil Waine:  "No  I  was  originally  enrolled  at  Edgehill  University  to  do  an   Advertising  degree.  After  having  a last  minute  induction  with  Drew  Wallace  due  to   my  dad   finding  the  course  on  the  internet I  decided to take the  course.  Definitely  a  career  changing  decision  and  something  I’m  so  glad  I  did.   I  remember  Drew explaining   the  course  in­depth  and  he  really  sold  it  well   to  me  and  my  dad.  As  soon  as we  walked out  the library we both agreed that I should attend this course."

HooperstarGolfer: Has Myerscough helped you get where you are now and if so how?

Phil Waine:  "I  wouldn’t  be   in  this  position  if  it  wasn’t   for  Myerscough   and  the  tutors (especially  Rick).  Even after  graduating,  Rick  really  helped  me   get   my  first  big  break  at   the  Forest  of  Arden  two  years  after Myerscough.  The  qualifications  I   obtained  at  the  college   also  helped  get   that  position, especially my  Event Management module."

HooperstarGolfer: What are your best memories of Myerscough College?

Phil Waine:  "There  have  been so  many  over those  3 years.  I think  overall  it’s  the  friends  I  made  during those 3  years  who I  still  speak to today  and  how  a  lot  of them have  done so well  and have great  jobs  within the golf industry   from   the   PGA  Headquarters,  Royal  and  Ancient  to   International  Coaching  and  Operations  roles around  the   world.  It  makes my  current  role  so much easier  today when  I have these contacts  worldwide that are a phone call away, especially Ed Johnson who helps me with ruling decisions."

"The trips   away  were  an   amazing  experience  for  us  and  to  work  at  international  golf  events.  This  was something  that  my  other  friends  from  school  who  did  other  degrees  were  so  jealous  of  as  they  never travelled away."

"The biggest  highlight  for   me   by  a   distance was  to caddy in the Curtis Cup  at  Formby  in 2004  for Jane Park who  was  fourball   and  foursomes  partner  with  Paula   Creamer.  I  had  some  interesting  conversations  with Paula  Creamer  that  week.  I  remember  standing  on  the  first  tee  of  the  Sunday  singles  waiting to tee off  and the  first  hole   was  3  rows  deep  all  the  way  to  the  green and  beyond. I  then  remember Ross  Parker (who was caddying  for  our  opposing  player)   whispering  I  my   ear  “what  are  we   doing  here”  and  “are   you  up  for  Tok’s tonight”. It was a surreal experience."

"I was  lucky  to  live  in  Conder  Halls  with  a  great  group  of  guys.  We   then  got  our  own  house  together  (80 Norris Street) in which  there were 7  of us living  together.  The banter in that house  for  two  years  was  amazing and surprisingly we never got our housing deposit back."

Abigail Thomasson Football analyst at Press Association and Lecturer in Teacher Education at Myerscough College

HooperstarGolfer: Recall your first day at Myerscough

Abigail Thomasson:   "Waiting   ages  in  a  room  to   enrol,  and analysing everyone  else in  the  room to figure  out who I should avoid and who I should try and talk too.

"Being very  embarrassed  when  asked  to  explain  to  the  rest  of   the   new  group  who   I  am,  what  I  have  done, and why I want to be on the course, and then to realise I am the only female on the course."

"Waiting ages  in  the  freshers  week  que  to  get  into  Squires  with  a random bunch  from  my  residential block, and being so happy to see some of my course group in there already getting smashed."

HooperstarGolfer: What is your current situation? (employment, location etc)

Abigail Thomasson:   "After  leaving  Myerscough,  I  went  on  to  obtain  a  BA(Hons)  in  Sports  Studies  followed by  a  PGCE.  I  now  work  for  the   college  as  a  Teacher  Educator,  delivering  PGCE   modules  and  training  the next   batch  of  newly  appointed   Golf  Lecturers,  some  of which  are ex  golf  students them  selves.  Previous to this  I  was  the  FdA  Sports  coaching  course   tutor   and  delivered  select  L3  modules   within  the  Golf  Studies course.  Whilst  working  for  the  college  in  these  positions  I  have  obtained  a  MEd  in  Inclusivity   and  SEN  to support my current role."

"I have  an  additional   job  as  a  Premiership  Football  Analysist  on  behalf  of  the  Press  Association,   collected player data for Sky Sports, BBC, Hego group and Opta."

HooperstarGolfer: Where in the world have you been since leaving Myerscough College?

Abigail Thomasson:   "I  have  been  to  New  York,  Philadelphia  and   New  Jersey  coaching  football.  I  have  been to  Portugal,  Valencia  working   for  the  European  tour.  I  have  travelled  to  all the  North West  Premiere  League clubs  in  the  last 3 seasons  to  analyse  football games. I  have  taken  groups of students to Hurgarda Egypt, to complete  their  PADI  scuba  diving  licence.  I  have  climbed  the  3  peaks with Myerscough students.  I travel to the Wentworth BMW PGA championship each year just for the hell of it."

HooperstarGolfer: Was  it  always  your  ambition  to  go  to  Myerscough?  Were  there  other  options  for you?

Abigail Thomasson:   "I  studied  Sports  Coaching  at  the  college.  I   had  alternative  options  at  Liverpool  John Moores  and  Salford  Uni,  however  I  loved  the  Myerscough  Campus,  atmosphere  and  tutors  so  choose   to study here."

HooperstarGolfer: Has Myerscough helped you get where you are now and if so how?

Abigail Thomasson:   "Of  course,   they  have  introduced  me  to  relevant  people  within  my  industry  to  help  me achieve  my  career  goals.  They   have  supported   and  funded  most  of  my  educational  studies  and  coaching qualifications. The sports industry links they have are excellent."

HooperstarGolfer: What are your best memories of Myerscough College?

Abigail Thomasson:   "In  the  context  of  my  student  days,  organised  sports  trips  and  events,   the  first

experience of  the   golf  tour dinner, Tuesday  nights  at  the  stumble,  the  friends  and tutors  I  have  met along the way and generally being the best years of my life."

Tom Miles

HooperstarGolfer: Recall your first day at Myerscough

Tom Miles:  "First  day  I  recall  dropping  off   my  stuff,  saying   goodbye  to  my  parents  and  then  meeting  my neighbour  the  one   and  only  Gareth  Irwin,  he  made  it  a  lot  easier  to  settle  in,  we  realised  very  soon  we had the  same  interests  and  got  along   really  well!  Then  we  went  together  to  the  induction  thingy  and  I’m  pretty sure  a   trip   to  the  Stumble  followed  in  the  evening   where  Gareth  started  his  addiction  to  the  Kebab  fruit machine."

HooperstarGolfer: What is your current situation? (employment, location etc)

Tom Miles:  "At  the moment I’m  working as a Sports  instructor at Center Parcs, teaching kids various sports and running sport tournaments for the guests."

HooperstarGolfer: Where in the world have you been since leaving Myerscough College?

Tom Miles:  "Since  leaving  I  have  done  Football  coaching  in  the  States  and  travelled  all  around  America,  I have also been travelling around South America. These were amazing life experiences."

HooperstarGolfer: Was  it  always  your  ambition  to  go  to  Myerscough  and  study  golf?   Were  there other options for you?

Tom Miles:  "I  just  loved  playing  golf  as  a   youngster  and  the  thought  of  playing  while  studying  was  just  too good  to  turn  down,  my  other  option  was  to  do  an  I.T  course  but  once   I  knew   about  Myerscough  I  was hooked on the idea."

HooperstarGolfer: Has Myerscough helped you get where you are now and if so how?

Tom Miles:  "Not  really,  I  teach  Tri  Golf  to  children  that’s  as  close  as  it  gets,  I  came  to  realise  that  I really enjoy  playing  golf  but  that  didn’t  necessary  mean  I  wanted  to  work in the golf industry. I’m  currently  looking at  getting  into  Primary   School  Teaching  and  hoping  to  start a course next  year.  Won’t be  anywhere  near  as fun as Myerscough mind!"

HooperstarGolfer: What are your best memories of Myerscough College?

Tom Miles:  "Mainly  what  a good laugh  it  was. Pretty much  the  whole  way through it  was  just one  laugh  after another.  Nights   out  were  always   a  great  laugh,  a  special   mention  to   Carnage!  One  word  messy!  The  days away  on  the  prospects  tour  were  always   good  fun,  although  I  don’t  think  I ever  lived up  to  my  potential!  Lol! The  class  room  was  always  full  of  banter;  ha  I  think  the  tutors   were  just big  kids  themselves  which  helped! Living  in  80   Norris  St  was   obviously  a  massive  highlight,  loved  that   place   and  the  people  who  were  in   it! Overall some great memories and some great people met along the way! Really need a reunion soon!"

Martin Kelly

HooperstarGolfer: Recall your first day at Myerscough Martin Kelly: "I can't really remember my first day at Myerscough, apart from going down with the parents and moving in rather easily and then meeting the guys in halls. Everyone seemed really friendly and i could tell that i had made a good decision is going to Myerscough. HooperstarGolfer: What is your current situation? (employment, location etc)

Martin Kelly: "I'm currently living back home and saving some capital while working at William Hill as a manager and have shares in the company." HooperstarGolfer: Where in the world have you been since leaving Myerscough College?

Martin Kelly: "I have been to America and Spain since i have left Myerscough, i went travelling in America for 10 weeks, visiting California ­ walking around pebble beach, been to Las Vegas, then went across to florida and stayed there and went to the players championship and then finished off going upto New York, it was a great experience." HooperstarGolfer:  Was  it  always  your  ambition  to  go  to  Myerscough  and  study  golf?   Were  there other options for you?

Martin Kelly: "I was also good at business and computing but decided to study golf as it would maybe open new doors for my career, at the moment this has not happened but maybe it will in the future. I'm still active in the sports industry and always increasing my knowledge of golf as well as other sports." HooperstarGolfer: What are your best memories of Myerscough College?

Martin Kelly: "My best memories of Myerscough was probably the 1st year, meeting a good bunch of mates and living with them. Playing golf all the time and going out was brilliant and an experience ill never forget. Obviously a lot of us have moved on, but I'm glad to see everyone is doing well and like to keep upto date with what people are doing through Facebook."

Stephen Nicholson Executive director, Golfin Mag HooperstarGolfer: Recall your first day at Myerscough?

Stephen Nicholson:  "Being a  swot and practising  my  golf  with the right  outside our room  with  the  legend  that is Mr Howie Roberts, my first year roomie!!"

HooperstarGolfer: What is your current situation? (employment, location etc)

Stephen Nicholson:  "Own  an  online  golf   magazine  called  Golfin  Mag,  consult  for  other  brands   regarding brand development, marketing and social media"

HooperstarGolfer: Where in the world have you been since leaving Myerscough College?

Stephen Nicholson:  "Suit  salesman,  advertising  sales   all  over the UK, In  my current  roles,  to Dubai,  the  US and Europe"

HooperstarGolfer: Was  it  always  your  ambition  to  go  to  Myerscough  and  study  golf?   Were  there other options for you?

Stephen Nicholson:  "I  had  no  idea  what  to  do for  college, I  just loved playing golf,  then my  Dad said you can do a course at Myerscough studying golf... I was like hell yeah!!"

HooperstarGolfer: Has Myerscough helped you get where you are now and if so how?

Stephen Nicholson:  "Of  course,  the  knowledge  that  I  picked  up  and  more  importantly   the people that  I met and the friends I made form a big part of my life and ultimately have been incorporated within my business."

HooperstarGolfer: What are your best memories of Myerscough College?

Stephen Nicholson:  "Apart  from  the  nights   out  which  I  generally  can't  remember   anyway,  the  tour  was amazing  and  especially  the  trips   to  Mallorca   and  the  three  tour  finals  and,  representing  the  Uni  team  of course  but  my  best memory must  have  been  when  I got on  the  trip  to  the  Isle of  Man last  minute, we  played Rowany  I   believe  on  the  last   day  and  it  was  blowing  wildly,  I  always  used  to  thrive  on  playing  in  poor conditions   and  coming  down  the  last   I  saw  my   mate  Andy  Carter  waiting  intently  by  the  18th  green...  He had  shot  +5  and  leading  at   the  time,  it  was  great  to  see  his  face  drop  as  I  said  and  then  sunk  my  10  foot putt  for  birdie  to  shoot  level  par  gross!!!  All  the  other   groups  came  in  and  nobody   got  near  that  score,  it comes  as  a  pretty  good  memory  as  in  that  field  that  day  was  a  certain  Mr  Hanson,   who  is  not  doing  too badly!!"

"My other   great  memory  was  being  on   the  10th  green  at  Millenium and  myself  and Matt  'Wally' Smith  were taking  on  the  legends  of   Dom  and  Drew, i  had  hit it  to  about 60  feet, severely  downhill, about  10  feet  of  right to  left  break...   I  heard  Dommy  say,  'this  kid's  gonna  struggle  keeping  it  on  the  surface...'  I  said  to   myself that I  was  gonna  hole  it,  about 20  seconds later in  it  dropped  and the  look on  the  man's face  was  priceless,  I shot 3 under gross that day which was also a great memory!"

"The last  great  memory  was  arranging  our  own   event  in  Portugal,  the   Ryder  Cup  style  events  that  we  did, the  whole  thing  was  great and it  was  Dom and  Drew's last ever  trip  away as  they were  both  leaving so  on the last  nite  we  had  the   dinner  and  gave   the  leaving  duo   farewell  gifts  and goodies  and  it  was probably  the only moment  in  my  life  that  Mr  Sainsbury  said   anything  remotely  serious  and  meant  it.  Really  poignant  moment and a fab memory to end on!"

Dan Wood PGA professional at Hirsel Golf Club

HooperstarGolfer: Recall your first day at Myerscough Dan Wood: "Pass" HooperstarGolfer: What is your current situation? (employment, location etc) Dan Wood: "Head Professional @ Hirsel GC, Coldstream, Scottish Borders" HooperstarGolfer: Where in the world have you been since leaving Myerscough College? Dan Wood: "3years doing PGA training at Eyemouth Gc, (PGA course via Birmingham). Travelled Scotland playing Scottish Region PGA" HooperstarGolfer: Was it always your ambition to go to Myerscough and study golf? Were there other options for you? Dan Wood: "From 14/15 it was clear a career in golf was all i ever wanted! As most kids it was all about turning and playing pro golf but as i learned the industry i found a different avenue" HooperstarGolfer: Has Myerscough helped you get where you are now and if so how?

Dan Wood: "Myerscough helped me to grow up and mature as a person!  It helped me to meet new people and create life long friends and networks. My golf also improved and managed to get to +1 during uni says. The Golf management course also made the PGA course alot easier and allowed me to stroll through it" HooperstarGolfer: What are your best memories of Myerscough College? Dan Wood: "Playing for Uclan team and chasing order of merit points"

Ed Johnson Manager ­ Amateur championships for the R&A

HooperstarGolfer: Recall your first day at Myerscough

Ed Johnson:  "Slightly  daunting  but  excited.  Sat  in   Ben  Thompson’s   bedroom  eating  a  cheese  toastie  and drinking a few cans of Foster’s!"

HooperstarGolfer: What is your current situation? (employment, location etc.)

Ed Johnson:  "Manager   –  Amateur  Events,  The  R&A.  Live  in  St  Andrews.  Work  in  the  Championship Department  for  The  R&A  organising  all  R&A  Amateur  events  such  as   The  Amateur  Championship  and  the Boys  Amateur  Championship  and  International  Matches   such  as  The  Walker   Cup,  St  Andrews Trophy  and Jacques Leglise Trophy."

"I also  orgamnise  and  administer  the  who  Open  Championship  Qualifying  structure from Regional,  to  Local, to International Qualifying. R&A qualified in Rules of Golf."

HooperstarGolfer: Where in the world have you been since leaving Myerscough College?

Ed Johnson:  "With  the  PGA in old  position, refereed  Open Championship  in  2011  at Royal  St  George’s, Las Vegas twice, The Bahamas, Spain, Portugal, France, Scottsdale Arizona."

"With The R&A, Bangkok twice, Dallas Texas, China and obviously all over the UK in both roles."

HooperstarGolfer: Was  it  always  your  ambition  to  go  to  Myerscough  and  study  golf?   Were  there other options for you?

Ed Johnson:  "No,   its   only  cause  my  mum  found  the  course  for  me  and  made  me  go on  an induction day.  I was  considering   English  or business  studies  in  sixth  form  with  little  idea what  to  do.  When  I heard  about the course,  it  sounded  too  good  to  be  true.  Following  the  induction, there  was no  doubt where  I wanted to  go.  A bit  of   a  gamble  but   best  decision  I’ve  ever  made.  Without   doing  the  course  at  Myerscough,  I  couldn’t  have met Rick Daniels and hence be where I am now."

HooperstarGolfer: Has Myerscough helped you get where you are now and if so how?

Ed Johnson:  "See  above.  Absolutely.  Without  Mysecough,  I  wouldn’t   possibly  be  where  I  am  now.  Brilliant course and great place to learn a lot of vital skills to work in the golf industry."

HooperstarGolfer: What are your best memories of Myerscough College?

Ed Johnson:  "My   mates  on  the   course   and  keeping  in  touch with them.  Also,  doing  the  event management part  of  the  course  and  rganising  two  charity  golf  events.  Was  great  fun  and   gave  me  the  experience  and desire to want to do something like that for a career."

Aside from  these  outstanding  examples  of  Myerscough graduates and the  incredible careers  most of  them  have  gone  on to  have there  are  many  other  former Myerscough  students  who  have  forged a career in the golf industry since leaving

Nicole Elise­Taylor Retail Manager, Els Club in Dubai

Stephen Deane

Head Academy PGA Professional, Emirates Golf Club in Dubai

Martin Fishwick Retail Manager and Golf Professional, Willow Valley Golf

Ben Thompson Corporate Golf Coordinator, The Grove

Chris Horn Frenchman's Creek Beach and Country Club, Florida

10 years since I went to Myerscough  

Matt's experiences at Myerscough College and the decade long journey to becoming a golf writer and co-owner of St Andrews Golf Magazine

Read more
Read more
Similar to
Popular now
Just for you